PDA

View Full Version : Robert "Uncle Bob" Campbell

opsbod
9th Feb 2009, 10:49
It is with regret that I am writing to advise you all of the death of Bob Campbell, a member of the bmi Ops team from 13 years and someone I am sure many of you have had contact with in the past. Bob was working shifts in Ops as recently as just a few weeks ago before being diagnosed with a heart condition. Bob underwent heart surgery on Friday and appeared to be recovering well, before taking a turn for the worst and passing away early yesterday morning.

I am sure those who knew him will miss Bob’s sense of humour and his just do it attitude. Bob attended the UKOMA course in BOH last November and will remembered by the students and lecturers for his chirpy character. Those of you from the EMA area will also remember Bob and his saxophone from his nights playing with the band Chimney Fish.

He will be sadly missed....

Sir Brian Clough
9th Feb 2009, 11:27
So very sorry to hear this terrible news.

bmi and "UK" Ops Control lost a real character yesterday morning. His atc re-routing skills and knowledge of the CFMU system are lengendary. But more importantly his charismatic character and his ability to develop rapport with all levels will be warmly remembered and cherished.

RIP Bob

Little Blue
9th Feb 2009, 11:51
http://en-gb.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1393047&op=2&o=all&view=all&subj=35733434096&aid=-1&oid=35733434096&id=576546875Posted similar on the bmi thread.
I agree, he will be very much missed by everyone who came into contact with the grumpy, but lovable, old sod.
So many stories to tell about him (Not many clean ones, mind), but the image of him on his stag day, 2001, busking in Nottingham Market Square, with the rest of us humming the Dambusters theme behind him, all dressed as Magnum p.i, false moustaches hawaiian shirts and all, will never be forgotten
R.I.P BCI !

Tango Whisky
9th Feb 2009, 17:14
I can only echo the words of Opsbod, Sir BC and Lil' Blue. I had the pleasure of working with Bob in the late 90's/early 2000s. Although he could be cantankerous at times, that was all part of the appeal. He was a genuine guy and I feel all the better for having known him.
I recently had the pleasure of a brief exchange with Bob and though we hadn't talked for some time, his friendly-yet-grumpy approach had lost none of its charm. I know he found a real home in the warmth of the bmi family and even though this has come as a great shock I know they have some great memories of the man.
Rest in peace Bob, you will be missed.

Lauderdale
9th Feb 2009, 20:29
I can not believe what I am reading!

I met Bob at a NATS course a few years ago and shared a number of beers and even more laughs.....

I am one of the lecturers on the UKOMA course and I still remember where you were sitting Bob.....and asking me awkard questions during my session with that ever present cheeky sense of humour.......and then pushing me your chimneyfish cards at the end......

You always made me smile Bob - a true gent, character and pal! Mate you have been an honour to have met - now go and kick some ass with that music of yours up there!!

Beavis and Butthead
9th Feb 2009, 22:29
I echo all of the thoughts above. Desperately saddened to hear of 'Uncle' Bob's passing. The grumpy git often made a shift in Ops a day (or night) full of smiles, laughter, banter with Little Blue, and often the sight of the famous empty seat (fag break!). Although i'd not seen him too much in recent years since leaving the company, I'll miss him. A man that couldn't be more genuine .... Be good Uncle Bob, a privelige to have known you. Rest in Peace my friend.

gramaticus
10th Feb 2009, 05:52
We had our moments over the years, but thanks for being there when I needed answers...Sadly missed

Ops_Room_Junkie
10th Feb 2009, 08:55
Although I have only known Bob for around 18 months we immediatley hit it off, working many shifts together-especially night shifts.

I like to think we bought out the best and the worst in each other and had many, many laughs (and a few moans) but I always found Bob to be good humoured and a real mate and support - he never let me down once.

I cannot accept he has gone, it is still far too unreal to contemplate and all I can do is dwell on the many good times and laughs..... and some of the tricks we got up to in BOH last year.

He was a work colleague, a mate and I miss him.

:sad:

barroon
10th Feb 2009, 12:39
Good Bye Mate.

You are going to be so sadly missed at work.

It's hard to contemplate how someone so full of the energy of life can be taken from us all so abruptly.

The 'library' at Donington Hall will never be the same but your legend will never be forgotten

RIP

AB

crewingmonkeys
10th Feb 2009, 14:32
Agreed -a very sad and painful time. Thoughts are very much with Bobs family - especially Sal at their sudden and sad loss.
I have had the pleaseure of working with Bob for 12 years and gigging with him for the last 4 with the band 'The Chimneyfish'.
Bob took me under his wing when I first joined the band and some of the nights we had playing music together have been the best and most memorable of my life.
He was known by many different names - Grumpy Bob, Bert, Uncle Bob, Bob e-tops, BCI, Little blue and known best by the band members as Bobby 'The Lips' on account of his phenomenal horn blowing!!!!!

However you may have known and called Bob i'm sure you would all agree that he was a Legend and a true (if at times Grumpy) friend and one that will be fondly remembered and sorely missed.
Rest in peace my good friend
x

Old Gino
10th Feb 2009, 14:36
At this sad time - Im struggling to come up with any profound statements about 'uncle' bob, so pathetically will have to leave it to those who are better at it then me- but wanted to post to say how my thoughts are with Sal and the rest of his family/friends

We have all lost a friend- often playing up to his Grumpiness :) was all part of his endearing character, and there are many good times for us to reflect back upon- i'll miss him.

Gone but not forgotten - Rest In peace.

FO Squash
10th Feb 2009, 16:52
I would like to add my sentiments at the loss of a true character and an unavoidably likeable bloke.

He made many of my shifts at the hall more enjoyable through his grumpy-yet-comical attitude, and his ability to get a SLC through a perceptive re-route has saved me many a hassle.:D

I will remember him keeping wicket as I made an attempt at bowling for RunwayXI, and at his ability with the Sax! He will also be remebered for the repetitive hum of '...I'll never forget.....the smell of the sweat....'

He will be missed

My thoughts are with Sal and the rest of their family.

Rest in Peace Bob

Little Blue
10th Feb 2009, 19:02
I am extremely humbled to have been asked, by his wife Sal, to say a few words at Bobs funeral, and would welcome any stories/words that you would like to add to what I'll be saying.
I would like the 'eulogy' to be everyones words, and not just mine.
Please PM me on here, e-mail at [email protected] or give me a call. If you don't have my number, then Simon, or Dave at bmi ops/crewing will be able to pass it on.
Thanks.
Richard.

malagamike
11th Feb 2009, 09:41
what such sad news. ive known bob for over 10 years, mainly on the telephone. being ground staff for bmi in malaga hes got us out of a tight ´slot´many a time!
he will be sadly missed.
my thoughts for his family and close ones.
RIP
malaga mike

apron
11th Feb 2009, 12:14
Uncle/Commander Bob. You will be saddly missed by all.
I have posted on your facebook page so will just add one thought here.
I remember playing golf with Bob some years ago now at Breadsall Proiry. Any small distraction would put him off his game!! On the 18th he was one up so as he approached the tee I told him about a peace of **** at the end of the club. He inspected the end of his 3 wood to find none. I then remarked it was on the other end :) He exploded and threw the club at us all lol. We ended up level after 18!!!

Cost me a beer but I will be indebted to him for some fantastic memories.
RIP Bob

MrsS
11th Feb 2009, 18:35
Our dear Bob

How we so miss our 'cheeky chimp'.

Yet in so many ways you are still among us here at the Hall, your voice echoing in our ears and your cheeky grin etched in our minds.

So many memories, each of us having our very own unique rapport with our 'Bob-E-tops' and recalling treasured conversations and situations.

We will smile and joke again, in your honour, as you would have encouraged us to do so and draw strength from the bond you wove among us.

Who will scramble to our aid on those occasions where the team calls for 'help', as you did so, so many times, responding to our call and coming to our rescue, 'making such a difference' ?

How glad I am that I had the fortune to visit you and pass on all those messages of support from the 'bmi family' and to have conveyed just how much we were all 'rooting for you'.
Also to have some comfort in the knowledge that you were touched by the level of endearment held for you.

You gave your best, as brave as ever. As good as it gets.

We will 'get on with the job', as you would have done,
but not without many tears in our eyes and an ache in our hearts as we try to accept our family is now minus one........... our Bob.

God Bless

X

Pen

Angel23
11th Feb 2009, 19:01
My dear Bob,

I played my first round of golf with you and in a mans world you made me feel most welcome, for that I have to thank you. When faced with difficult situations I sought and trusted your advice. You are one of a kind and so special to everyone you touched.

He left us quickly,
His thoughts unknown,
But left us a memory,
We are proud to own;
So treasure him Lord,
In Your garden of rest,
For when on earth,
He was one of the best

Love and miss you Bob x

superste
11th Feb 2009, 21:06
Bob's character impacted on everybody he met and my thoughts go out to those at the Hall.
That fake posh "tally-ho" military voice and his loud booming laugh were infectious to all.

We talked for days on end about the techniques behind the golf swing and when I would delightedly report back a score of 80 at ten pin bowling, he would shake his head with disapproval.
And as for "Magic Moments (alternative lyrics)," he tried to teach me all the versus, but only Bob could ever do it justice.

Bob, you will be missed so much by so many, but memories will never be forgotten.

My deepest thoughts go out to Sal and all those close to him.

Mickey Moo Moo
12th Feb 2009, 10:26
I can't begin to tell you how sad we all are at your sudden departure.
You were not suppose to leave us yet. Not until you were drawing your pension and not in this way.!!!

A huge void has been left and things will never be the same again.
I will miss our banter and your happy, grumpy ,smiley face.
The' slotting desk' as you would say as you answered the phone will always be your desk and you will still be with us.

I will miss our little jaunts down to LHR/Stockely and your stories about the RAF. You were so proud of those days and so you should be.

Your text to me last week' when are you coming to see me'?
This will haunt me as i never got to see you, i'm sorry Bob.

Those we love don't go away,
They walk beside us every day,
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear.

Nite Nite xx

j140870
12th Feb 2009, 23:16
I only knew Bob breifly whilst at BM. But he always made me smile with humour or frustration.

God bless him.:D

PTY_girl
14th Feb 2009, 00:34
I was in shift the day Bob passed away. As I was being told the bad news, a wave of thoughs came to my mind and I couldn't get them in order until now...Anyway...

Love him or hate him, Bob was the sort of person you could not ignore. When I first met him, he came across as the grumpy guy who could not get around that his RAF days were long gone. But something that did impressed me, was that althou he barely knew me (most probably didn't even knew how to pronounce my name as most people) he had no clue what sort of job had to be done in the department I work, he asked me if I needed any help. One of the very few who did.

The best memories I had of Bob have to be the UKOMA course last year. I had no idea he could be so much fun to be around. He spent most of the travel down to BOH talking about his RAF stories, and something that striked me was that, althou he could moan about very much everything, he lived a very exciting, different life. He lived the life he wanted to live, did the things he wanted to do how he wanted to do them, regardless of what other people might think of him. He lived his life on "His way" as Frank Sinatra would say, and that my friends it's far more than most of us can say and deserves a great deal of respect.

I can still hear the shouting "Oh for F*** sake!!" next door, his loud laugh or the way he kept singing that Girls Aloud song with the alterated lyrics in the UKOMA course (mind you, I still don't know the proper lyrics!!)

So I know you are in a better place right now. We down here, let's cherish the memories and remember that life is one, you never know what's around the corner and we better live it like he did, on it's full.

To Sandra, Gareth and I will be there for you in anything you need hun!!

We'll miss you.

Pikey boy
7th Mar 2009, 07:39
BCI - Havent seen Bci in over 10 years, but the smell of avgas stays in my mind. RIP BCE

Little Blue
9th Jan 2010, 12:13
I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but Bobs wife, Sal, very sadly passed away last thursday, after a short illness.
For those of who knew Bob, then it was unthinkable for us to not know Sal as well.
Sal was the only woman who could snap Uncle Bob out of his grumpiness, and on some days, that was no mean feat.
They came together. And are now together once more.
Rest in peace, Sal and Bob