PDA

View Full Version : Vivid, realistic dreams?

Sir George Cayley
8th Feb 2009, 19:23
I've had a few recently, all of which stay in my memory well past waking. Unlike the dozens that don't. Yeah, cheese might play a part, experiences from the waking day too. But many are unconnected to recent experiences, tell a story start to finish and although phantastamagorical in content, appear completely real during the experience.

And, no I'm not on any mind bending drugs, nor an alcoholic, nor suffering from any mental illness, except thinking I'm able to fly a plane.

Is it me? Is it my age or what. Are you interested in some of the details?

Does anyone else dream like this and then be able to remember them long after?

Sir George Cayley

tony draper
8th Feb 2009, 19:38
I have always dreamed like that since early childhood as insane and surreal as everybody elses I suspect and I do tend to remember them in quite detail as well,the skull cinema I call it,harmless I reckcon,never did me any harm anyway, hmmm have to go now I hear nursey coming with me pills.
:rolleyes:

Beatriz Fontana
8th Feb 2009, 19:53
It's perfectly natural to have vivid dreams.

Let me know if you need any of 'em analysing (I really should charge for that service...!).

Rossian
8th Feb 2009, 19:57
Oh bu&&er is it too late, do you think, to head off the inevitable "I was dreaming I was a chicken ....." joke which always seems to follow this thread title. Please!
The Ancient Mariner

Standard Noise
8th Feb 2009, 20:36
I don't have enough vivid dreams.

Well, of a certain type anyhoo.

Is it bad to have vivid dreams about your neighbours wife?:E

frostbite
8th Feb 2009, 20:52
Is it bad to have vivid dreams about your neighbours wife?

It would be for me, she's a ghastly creature.

goudie
8th Feb 2009, 21:09
At the time, my dreams appear to be extremely vivid and some do make sense, especially if related to something that's on my mind.
I find I have the most vivid dreams when I wake up around 7am and then go back to sleep for an hour or so. Sometimes I have to lay in bed for 15-20 mins or so while they dissipate from my mind.

Parapunter
8th Feb 2009, 21:18
Lately, I've dreamt of the five minutes I spent with my dad & what I said to him, just after he died. It wakes me up with a start each time I dream it & I don't like it at all. No idea whther it's overtly Freudian or not. Just wish it would stop.

OFSO
8th Feb 2009, 21:24
Does anyone else dream like this and then be able to remember them long after? wrote Sir George Cayley

Not only that, but some dreams leave one in such a state when awakening that it influences one's thoughts for an hour, or a morning, or all day (or at least until the first drink).

Profound sorrow, blissful joy, either may be left in one's mind by the dream one has had just before waking up.

R

bnt
8th Feb 2009, 21:46
A few years ago, while my employer was going through an internal re-org that might have gotten me laid off, I had a dream about a flight that went something like this:
- it was a short flight between islands, probably Mediterranean, and in a small jet like a BAe 146. I was a passenger somewhere at the back, yet I could see all the way forward through the cabin and out the cockpit windows. (Hey, it was a dream...)
- We came in to land at a short runway, but I could see we were high and fast. We landed too quickly, could not stop in time, and overshot the runway in to the sea.
- This is where it gets weird: there was no panic at all. Everyone got their lifejackets on just fine, and did not inflate any in the cabin. We carried seat cushions to use for flotation. Everyone queued up calmly, jumped out the door in to the water, and swam to shore. No injuries, no-one even slightly upset. It was like a day at the beach.

That's it. At the time, I interpreted it as being hopeful about the future, and thinking I could survive whatever happened with little stress. Since then, a lot has happened to me, not all employment-related, but I seem to be doing just fine. I watch other people getting stressed over far smaller things, and want to tell them to "grow up". Relax: it's just a ride. ;)

Whirlygig
8th Feb 2009, 22:54
Amongst other things, it's a symptom of under-active thyroid.

Cheers

Whirls

Flash2001
9th Feb 2009, 03:16
Try the Champix smoking cessation pills. Vivid dreams? I'll show you vivid dreams!

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

Loose rivets
9th Feb 2009, 05:02
I get such complex, vivid dreams. Some of the lucid. Lucid dream - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream) I don't remember the more mundane ones, so it would seem that most are extraordinarily structured.

Who's making these up? Who does all the fantastic graphics generation? I just can not believe that dreams are not important to discovering just what makes us tick.. (Excuse the double negative)

I've posted before about being in a lucid dream and suddenly shouting "This is ridiculous!" when the man chasing me started pulling off his skin, only to reveal a lizard type creature. Well, V was a good story. Erm, not a good story, but good graphics..and a nice alien with bit bits.

My recurring dreams over the years have been about being able to levitate and with a great deal of mental force, make my way round a room full of people etc.. Annoyingly, usually, no one takes any notice.

The other is about dirty toilets...but we won't go there.

I one lucid dream, I realized that I could go to my house, get out the Supra (That I'd sold years before) and drive like a loony round the town...without risk to the populace. As always, when the dream spirit knows the games up, it switches off the Hollodeck.

The other thing...I never, well not often, have sexy dreams. Bastard! Whoever he is in there, he could save me a fortune.

corsair
9th Feb 2009, 09:05
I read a book on lucid dreams once. You can induce lucid dreams and even manipulate situations in the dream. I do find that it works best in the morning with a lie in. Where imagination and a dreamlike state co-exist. The problem of course is that your sub conscious knows what you're up to and throws spanners into the works. So you never quite know if it's you controlling it or the sub conscious you.

As for who's making this up? Well we do. I always find it fascinating that I can come up with amazing and complex stories in dreams yet am not yet a famous novelist or fantasy writer.

It also strikes me as odd in dreams that there are details, which I know to be inaccurate or impossible, as if the dream weaver is playing games.

As for your vivid, realistic dreams, Sir George.........well, I'm going sound like something from the twilight zone but in the past when I have a dream I continue to remember after I wake up. I have noticed that something very similar happens in real life shortly thereafter whether to me or someone else. It can be quite trivial of course but BNT's story of the aircraft ditching seems awfully similar to something that happened recently! Co-incidence of course:confused:

But I don't really believe in that kind of thing anyway. Just find it unsettling.

hellsbrink
9th Feb 2009, 10:05
Parapunter

I know that feeling. I still dream of my G/f. Sometimes it's me actually reviving her with CPR (her heart just stopped one day, did my best until medics arrived and took over but I knew it was a lost cause) but mainly it's me standing in total darkness yelling "Ilse! Ilse! Where are you? Come back". These don't happen as much as they did, and nowadays (when I actually sleep!) I'm protecting my sis in law from something. I know why I get them, it's because she is going through a bad patch because of a messy divorce and I am doing everything I can to help her so she doesn't lose everything, doing the things that need done as far as maintainence/repairs that she can't do and generally keeping her spirits up. You could say it's protecting her from her worries and that :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: of an ex husband of hers, etc.

In your case, I'll bet that you (obviously) miss him, and the dreams have been triggered by a memory of something that happened around this time (birthday, wedding anniversary, anniversary of his passing, a really fun memory or even just talking to someone about him) which has brought that memory back up to the sub-conscious so you are reliving that moment in your dreams

angels
9th Feb 2009, 13:58
When I suffered from mental illness for a few months I used to be terrified of going to sleep.

That of course made me more tired, which made me more scared, which made me try and stay awake, which made me more tired etc etc.

My 'nightmares' now are a pleasure to experience (when I wake up)!! :ok:

SpringHeeledJack
9th Feb 2009, 17:41
When I suffered from mental illness for a few months I used to be terrified of going to sleep.

Very brave of you to admit this, but then again you are an angel :) I would imagine that most of us have had 'mental illness' in one shape or form over the course of our lives. It's just that it has such a stigma, almost as bad as the 'Barking b0llocks' :} (Derek and Clive for those who are :confused:)

The old subconcious working through the many elements of our lives at night when we clock off. If we didn't dream, the whole planet would be full of ill people. The repeating of a theme on a regular nightly basis means that which we put off dealing with in the day......

I often nod off to a radio or sometimes the tv if I don't make it off the sofa in time and the quality and vividity of my dreams are often wholly influenced by the sound and content of the device transmitting. There again, certain foods, liquids and potions can access parts of the brain that other substances just can't reach. Or sleeping in a different head direction (heading :E) or above water. I'm also partial to having strong dreams of a sexual nature when at altitude due, apparently to the body keeping the blood flowing at a greater rate to compensate for less oxygen. That brings a whole new meaning to the cockpit if you decide to have a crafty snooze once in the cruise :suspect:

regards

SHJ

tony draper
9th Feb 2009, 20:07
I don't think dreams have anything whatsoever to do with working through anything in our real conscious daily lives,they are not a subconscious problem solving prog running in the background,they are way to chaotic to be of any use at that, dreams are just random eddy current in the electrical apparatus that is our short term memory banks,dreams take place in the short term memory part of our brain,which is electrical in nature and hence volatile.
Sometimes in a few people such as myself and seemingly a few others here it leaks over to long term memory and we are subject to dreams of a much higher fidelity than normal and we also remember them.
Most people experience dreams like this this only during illness or because they have err illegal substances taken and the vital barrier that separates the dreamscape world and the real world breaks down.
:)

parabellum
9th Feb 2009, 23:55
Had to go to the sleep clinic to try and sort out some sleeping problems, the Doc there said that vivid dreams usually coincide with the person dropping into the Rapid Eye Movement, (REM), phase of sleep.
The REM phase is a very good phase as it is the time when the body and mind fully relax, he said.

Jay Dee @ table 1
10th Feb 2009, 09:00
Horizon, BBC2, covers the subject of dreams tonight February 10th at 2100

angels
10th Feb 2009, 09:56
SHJ - It's never worried me to say I went nuts at one stage. Shite happens and all that. The stigma attached to mental illness belongs to those who perpetuate it!

Churchill called his deep depressions 'the Black Dog'. Madame Curie was admitted to an institution at one stage, Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression, Florence Nightingale et al. I'm in good company!

Drapes' comments about the electrical causes behind dreams are fascinating.

Jay Dee - thanks for the heads up re Horizon, Bet I drop off during it!! :}

goudie
10th Feb 2009, 10:06
Dreams can be related to actual events. I woke up last night and my t-shirt had ridden up, half awake I attempted to pull it down before going back to sleep.
I then had the classic 'exposed' dream whereby I'm picking grandson up from school wearing only a t-shirt that is too short and I'm frantically trying to pull it down in front of all the mums!

parabellum
10th Feb 2009, 10:13
In your dreams Goudie, in your dreams!;)

capewrath
10th Feb 2009, 10:14
Horizon on BBC2 at 2100 tonight is about dreams.

Jay Dee @ table 1
10th Feb 2009, 11:24
ANGELS,

You're welcome. Hope the post above doesn't mean that you'll drop off twice!

goudie
10th Feb 2009, 11:27
In your dreams Goudie, in your dreams

Yeah, just as well too

larssnowpharter
10th Feb 2009, 15:13
A few years ago Senora Larss had a dream which involved me and six naked ladies romping around in the kitchen and getting up to things you would only see in an 'adult' fillum.

In the morning she told me about the dream .......................

.....................and didn't speak to me for 2 days.

I wouldn't have minded so much if we could have - at least - shared the dream!!!

anotherglassofwine
10th Feb 2009, 16:49
I had a post a few months back about a recurring dream I was having involving a heavy jet taxing about Irish country roads and never fully getting airborne.
At the time I posted I was having the dream at least twice a week for 6 months, however since posting on good ole PPrune I haven't had the dream since!

Standard Noise
10th Feb 2009, 17:00
Christ on a bike, that sounds more like a nightmare, I mean, fancy being stuck on Irish country roads!
Or do you have tarmac roads these days?:}

Still waiting for that vivid dream about the neighbour's wife...........:{

smo-kin-hole
10th Feb 2009, 17:02
I saw a kneeling figure of a woman in a hotel room. I rolled over and saw it against the far wall. My vision was locked on her forearms and I could clearly see fingers and the fabric of her blouse. She was brightly lit, but there was no ambient light coming off her at all. When I shifted my focus up to her face, the entire image vanished. It didn't fade, it completely vanished. I am certain I was awake and I am certain of what I saw.

However......

I feel it was likely some sort of cerebral image or memory jogged when I moved my head. I had no reason to see what I saw. Has anyone else had a vivid visual "hallucination" like this? It was not a dream and I was not stressed out either. It seems to fall into a different category. Some sort of perceptual trick.:confused:

Devlin Carnet
11th Feb 2009, 14:25
On the Horizon programme last night ,It mentioned the fact that, when in REM sleep, The brain freezes muscle movement causing a temporary paralysis, to stop you flailing around whilst dreaming.
I have had the misfortune to have woken up when this is happening a couple of times.
Not a pleasant experience at all, I can tell you.

smo-kin-hole
11th Feb 2009, 15:05
Goudie:

What you said about a span of susceptibility just after waking up really nailed it, I've had much vivid wierdness right in that time. Must be a time to jettison the flotsam
or something.

Or else there was a projector under the bed...a prank?:suspect:

BenThere
11th Feb 2009, 15:21
Infrequently, but sometimes, I have two types of dreams.

The first involves terrifying situations where my attempts to scream for help are blocked by an inability to make any noise.

The other type is where I've gotten myself into a situation where my entire life is screwed up forever by something I've done or was done to me. There is no hope of recovering. The joy I feel upon waking up and realizing it didn't really happen is almost worth the anxiety of living the dream.

The rest of the time I dream about sex.:p

goudie
11th Feb 2009, 15:41
The rest of the time I dream about sex.

So do I, but only when I'm wide awake.

I sometimes dream that I've moved into a house I hate and long for my old house back, again the relief when I wake up is wonderful.

tony draper
11th Feb 2009, 16:14
Found the documentary rather disappointing,doesn't seem to have been a great deal of progress in the field since I read up on it thirty odd years ago, apart from some half arsed theories about learning to ski or nightmares being good for you,typical of Horizon these days sadly.
:)

Storminnorm
11th Feb 2009, 16:42
I think there must be something wrong in my brain-box.
I NEVER have dreams. At all!
I'm a bit concerned at this lack of dreams.
Someone once told me that it was an indication of INSANITY!
I've tried eating all sorts of things that are supposed to give
you nightmares if you have them just before going to sleep,
but all I get is a good night's sleep.
Does anyone know of ANYTHING that will make me have DREAMS?

Concerned of East Grinstead. :confused:

Loose rivets
11th Feb 2009, 16:53
That's really strange. It's thought that folk like you do dream, but that you simply can't recall them. EEG tests would be revealing, and if it was found you really didn't dream, then you'd probably be invited to be the subject of tests at a university.

Paralysis of motor function.

I have had the misfortune to have woken up when this is happening a couple of times.
Not a pleasant experience at all, I can tell you.

I've had spells of this for as long as I can remember. I hate it as well...a lot.
You're physical off-switch won't reset, and I even feel that I can move my toes and sometimes make a sound, but the wife has never witnessed any sign of me doing this. For some reason, I've never been able to relax back to sleep, I have to fight it. Makes you realize how Stephen Hawking feels...well, not really, but you know what I mean.

smo-kin-hole
11th Feb 2009, 16:55
I have vivid nightmares of old tenement slums soaking in rain, I'm wandering around in them, after eating half a jar of garlic dill pickles when awake Its always the same thing. I also have been violently awakened by a
garbage dumpster being slammed into the ground by the truck during REM
sleep and I can tell you that total paralysis or "being pinned to the floor"
until you are fully awake is quite a knock to the noggin. It will scare you
pretty good.

But I'm a pilot now so a spike in adrenalin, combined with total lucidity
is the norm whenever a audio tone I don't recognize goes off.

"BLEEPA BLEEPA BLEEPA.......akkkkk....wha.....Oh, the lav is full!
Can't find the FMS button!!!!" Wait....uh...I'm still home!" Duh

Storminnorm
11th Feb 2009, 17:06
Loose rivets. Paralysis of motor function?
Go to a university for TESTS? WHY????
Last time I was at University I had the
impression that THEY NEEDED testing!!!

Mind you, it was Guildford Uni. :eek:

Loose rivets
11th Feb 2009, 17:10
I was editing in some stuff when SMO beat me to it.

I have a gut feeling that dreams are very important...not just to our mental well-being, that's a given, but as an indicator of the visual modeling potential. During the occasional Lucid dream, I've reached a state of incredible clarity of image. I would imagine that it's akin to the things that people experience when they've taken drugs. I've said - to an unknown companion in the dream - Look at that! Doesn't that look fantastic? The quality of the imagery transcended anything that one could see normally, even with superb eyesight.

Here's a thing. Given that our ability to 'see' is given by our brain modeling the subject matter, the fact that we can sometimes get a glimpse of a much more powerful, perfect, beautiful image, is perhaps a clue to our ultimate potential.

Storminnorm
11th Feb 2009, 17:12
Rivets, you should lay off the LSD for a while.

Loose rivets
11th Feb 2009, 17:16
Stormin' The single line was supposed to be a break point in the post.

Your anomaly? - Could be called that I suppose, since you're unusual - specifically not seeming to dream, would be of interest to some folk. I'll ask my son, that's his field. Well, brains, not absence of dreams, but he might know.

The paralysis was a separate issue, I should have taken a bigger quote section.

EDIT LSD? Glad I didn't. Some traces of the stuff is being found in hippies' brains as some 35-40 years later. However, some of the effects - in the first stages of taking that drug - do seem to indicate an enhancing effect. I guess that's why they did it. But some people had their minds ruined by it of course.