PDA

View Full Version : RAF Syerston, 644 VGS and 644 Squadron History

Grobling About
8th Feb 2009, 16:23
As one of the staff of 644 VGS I have been asked to compile a history of RAF Syerston and 644 VGS. With the change from Volunteer Gliding School to Volunteer Gliding Squadron we adopted the badge of the former 644 Squadron, consequently I propose to include a section on that unit. In order to assist me in doing this I am seeking any stories and photos involving any of these units.

I hope that the good people that frequent this forum can help. Thanks

Jim

praesta2
9th Feb 2009, 15:10
Jim,

I have a huge archive on Syerston, Wymeswold, 644 VGS & Sqn. What are you looking for specifically?

Cheers

Pra2

pedigree
9th Feb 2009, 15:24
I learned to fly with them in the powered glider Venture TMK2 I think. Stayed at Newton probably about 1987/8. Not that it helps you it just brought back some memories. One of the instructors used to practice strafing runs on trains while I was with him. I was terrified on my solo and that was the last time I ever flew. Shame really.

WE992
9th Feb 2009, 18:19
Sadly I have never flown with 644 but did fly Sky XA876 with 4 Counties next door.

Grobling About
9th Feb 2009, 20:07
Great to see some responses.

Pra2, Sounds very interesting. I'm looking for photos and/or stories from Syerston from the time it was built until today, anything that will add some interest, aircraft, people (particularly if there is a connected story). Can give you my e-mail if that's easier than posting.

Pedigree - a similar backgound to me, only I enjoyed the pleasure of the Cadet Mk3 in 76/77.

longer ron
10th Feb 2009, 11:42
Hi Grob
No stories,but just to say that I flew with 644 at Spitalgate on weekend courses in the 'Summer of 69' soloed in Mk3 799 i think in june 69-great days.Open cockpit flying was great fun !!!

cheers b

Grobling About
10th Feb 2009, 14:12
Hi b

What a coincidence - did my solos in 799 as well

diginagain
10th Feb 2009, 17:43
I almost completed a Gliding Scholarship sometime in 76 - sadly my 3822 was lost a long time ago so I can't recall the s/n of the Mk3 that took me downwind so far I struggled to get back to the airfield!

My Sqn also used RAF Syerston for accomodation when on summer camp at RAF Newton. As the sole overnight occupants we had the run of the place. Some of the more impressionable cadets stayed awake all night rather than be subjected to ghostly manifestations.

praesta2
11th Feb 2009, 16:58
Jim,

PM me with an e-mail address. We can work out a way of getting some of the pics to you

Cheers
Pra2

praesta2
12th Feb 2009, 13:18
Just a word on 644 Sqn RAF

IIRC - they were formed from the nucleus of C Flt of 298 Sqn at Tarrant Rushton in 1944. Primarily they were tasked with glider tug duties with HP Halifax aircraft. I think that 644 Sqn disbanded following the 1957 changes and sometime immediately post WW2 298 Sqn were absobed into 47 Sqn. Sorry that it's a bit sketchy but it's all from memory. One thing I do remember is that 644 Sqn had a latin motto which was something like "Nil Sullis Draconis Dentes" leterally meaning "Yet shall we sow the Dragon's Teeth"!

Pra2

Kieron Kirk
12th Feb 2009, 13:33
644 Sqdn formed at Tarrant Rushton 23rd February 1944, nucleus from 298 Sqdn.
Various marks of Halifax until move to Qastina on 1st December 1945.
Disbanded on 1st September 1946, renumbered as 47 Sqdn.

Ciarain.

Qastina is in the Gaza strip, now called "Hatzor" air base.

curlierthannow
12th Feb 2009, 18:37
I was a member of 644 from 1960 for some 16 years and might have a few pics and memoiries predating the Syerston era, unfortunately all the pics are 35 mill and not now in the best of condition.

praesta2
13th Feb 2009, 10:25
Kieron

Thanks for confirming... I'm quite pleased really. That was all from memory!

Cheers
Pra2

Kieron Kirk
13th Feb 2009, 10:59
praesta2,

I must confess to using Wing Commander Jefford's book.

Ciarain.

praesta2
13th Feb 2009, 12:43
Ciarain,

Ref: "I must confess to using Wing Commander Jefford's book"

That's probably where I read it in the first place!

All good fun though :)

Grobling About
13th Feb 2009, 15:07
Pra 2 and Ciaran

Sorry if I spelled any names wrong - can't see original posts from the reply page! Pra 2 I have your PM thanks I think I may have used your mug from time to time! Whilst Googling 644 Sqn I found a link to a 644 Sqn website. A former WW2 pilot Sandy Barr appears to be a leading light and has written a book '644 Sqn, WWII Through The Eyes of a Canadian'. I have e-mailed him and await a response. The site also links to the Canadian Halifax Preservation Society which has restored a Halifax which ditched into a Norwegen Lake in 1945 - the aircraft is now on show, is pristine and is in 644 Markings.

Jim

praesta2
20th Feb 2009, 10:22
Thanks for the info Jim - very interesting. I hope you got my e-mail too. Please feel free to continue use my mug - just try not to break it! If the pics are of any use let me know - I've got a few dozen more

Cheers
IJ

b'dogdriver
7th Nov 2013, 22:49
Jim
I have seen the history on 644 Sqn as I am researching into my late uncle,Plt Off Stephen T Wells(there is a photo of his crew on the Sandy Barr website) your history is great.

Can we get in touch to see if we can help each other?

Grobling About
8th Nov 2013, 06:23
B'dogdriver

I've PM'd you

Jim

JonCarter82
24th Feb 2015, 16:32
Hi All,

I have been reading through your posts as I am trying to put togther a life story of my recently late grandfather. He was part of 644 Sqn during WWII. His name is A. M. Wells (also found him on the Sandy Barr website).

He was a Air Gunner and his Flight Team consisted of:

Wells,A. M. - Air Gunner
Gray,P.M. - Pilot
Artingstall,G.A. - Navigator
Neville,E.C - Navigator
Hulme,J.A. - Bomb Aimer
Ward,B. V. - Wireless Operator
Gray,J - Flight Engineer

I am after any additional information, links, into that period to pad out his events of the time. I have his original flight log book and along with stories that my mother use to tell me of him being shot down over Europe and making it back to the UK.
Reviewingsome of the operational stories from the history of the units there is onestory that comes to attention. This may be absolute coincidence and some furtherresearch is needed but an operation known as “Crossing the Rhine” took place onOctober 10th and involved the transport of 2 special agent “GI Joes” into enemyterritory. During the operation one Halifax belly landed in Woodbridge and theother was shot down by enemy flak. This story stands out as this month is theonly month that i can see is missing from the flight book. This may just be acoincidence as there is a change of unit at this point but it is worth somefurther research.

Any help would be greatful however small.

Cheers