View Full Version : Thomas Cook recruiting!

WindSheer
8th Feb 2009, 12:17
Type rated pilots only...

spider_man
8th Feb 2009, 14:06
...which type?

Polarhero
8th Feb 2009, 14:39
A320 and 757/767 >500hrs on type
It for a fixed term contract until 31st Oct.

Closing date 19th Feb.

King Halibut
8th Feb 2009, 15:46
Hmm, better than nothing but TC 757's don't have much to do in winter so will it be Adios muchachos?

WindSheer
8th Feb 2009, 17:50
Hmm, better than nothing but TC 757's don't have much to do in winter so will it be Adios muchachos?

This year could see off a few airlines! Who knows!

CABUS
8th Feb 2009, 18:32
It acutally starts getting busy for us from the 1st of March onward so all crews will be gearing up for the delights of the summer. So if you do get into TCX on any fleet you will be busy.

Airbus Girl
8th Feb 2009, 23:57
Does anyone know what the contract deal will be/ is?

ScottAitken
9th Feb 2009, 00:08
Starting salary of between £38,000 - £48, 000 depending on experience. 757 positions at Glasgow and Newcastle, with A320 positions available at Cardiff, East Midlands, Manchester and Gatwick. Full time job, until 31st October.

MikeAlphaBravo
9th Feb 2009, 00:18
Minimum requirements:

- Valid A320 / B757 type rating and in recent flying experience
- 1000 hours total time.
- >500 hours on A320/1 or B75/767
- Valid JAR ATPL Licence
- Valid JAR Medical
- Right to live and work in the UK

Are you interested, available immediately and do you meet our minimum requirements? If so, please apply at Thomas Cook Careers Website before the 19th Feb 09.

ed_boy
9th Feb 2009, 17:15
Full time until 3st October? Then what? surely thats a temp position - hardly a full-time job?

Seasonal contracts again...

flyinthesky
10th Feb 2009, 09:44
Well that'll be why it's listed as a fixed term contract then. No it's not a perm position but for a lot of people it will keep the wolf from the door and get them inside a company that is actually expanding for once.

You'll work hard, but the remuneration aint bad!!

Pays your money, takes your choice!

CABUS
10th Feb 2009, 10:33
I actually dont think anyone gets into TCX on a perm initially, not anymore anyway, the max is two six month temps hopefully followed by a perm. I also think that those who get the positions available will be kept on over the winter and have their contract confirmed as TCX is still hoping to do the Hajj this year with 75's out there operating feeder flight to the 330's. Also there is Skyservice and possibilities of TCX Scandinavia contract. It will be quiet but I dont think the temp pilots will get dropped.

King Halibut
10th Feb 2009, 12:09
Would be good for them if the Haj flights started. Trouble is there's a lot more players out there wanting that work too.
Hope the guys are kept on. Would be a bit of stability in the market and sends a signal to other airlines.
I was really tempted by TC and I know their 757 guys are a good bunch but I'd only be after a LGW base so sadly New or GLA is a no go for me :confused:
Mind you GLA is better than Manch or Leeds :}

captplaystation
10th Feb 2009, 13:52
Lucky you if you can afford to cherry pick positions depending on where the base is :ok: I see 737 isn't mentioned, I guess that is because you will be flying for Easy anyway on that fleet ? :hmm:

angelorange
10th Feb 2009, 17:27
Anyone had difficulties uploading word format CVs? Have tried both Firefox and Explorer web browsers with similar results.

If you managed to submit one did you get an email back confirming the application?

Thanks

mindstorm
10th Feb 2009, 17:30
Not sure why - we've had plenty so far :ok:. Try as a pdf.

Shepper
10th Feb 2009, 20:16
Ed_boy .... you have an issue with seasonal contracts?

if your employed by thomas cook - think yourself lucky and get on with it plenty of pilots out there would swap places with you

if your not employed by thomas cook its quite simple - if you dont like it apply elsewhere

King Halibut
10th Feb 2009, 21:57
Shepper, maybe Ed Boy like a lot people would like full time contracts with a good airline like TC.
I would really love to work for TC. But the thought of having to find work for six months, most probably abroad in this economic climate makes me pee my pants with fear. That and turbulence! And ugly passengers :confused:

necessity
11th Feb 2009, 15:01
Hi Gents,
Is it possible to apply through TC website without National Insurance Number? I am an EU citizen but my CV :ugh:was rejected. Any ideas?

Thanks.

mindstorm
11th Feb 2009, 16:24
Yes, just make one up, format is
AA 12 34 56 A.

Airbus Girl
11th Feb 2009, 20:00
Heres a question. The money quoted, is that pro-rata or is that the total contract money for the 6 months?

763 jock
11th Feb 2009, 20:14
:rolleyes:

DooblerChina
11th Feb 2009, 21:19
Taxi for Airbus Girl.............

OBK!
11th Feb 2009, 22:11
Per hour ;)

DooblerChina
11th Feb 2009, 23:51
AG, You are obviously getting too used to the money at TOM ;)

CLEAR4T/O
14th Feb 2009, 12:01
They have just taken excess BMI pilot's on secondment for the summer, 20 ish is the word on the street.

Craggenmore
17th Feb 2009, 16:27
£38,000 - £48, 000 for 6 months work...confirm....?

17th Feb 2009, 16:31
£38,000 - £48, 000 for 6 months work...confirm....? :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt it! That's pro-rata salary for sure . . . Otherwise, I'll find a hat to eat . . .

Dreamshiner
19th Feb 2009, 09:38
Anyone been intived for interview?

Todders
19th Feb 2009, 11:03
oooooopppppppppsss

eagle21
23rd Feb 2009, 18:21
Hi everyone:

A few questions for you:

Whaht is the start date?

How many FOs are they recruiting?

What is the prospect of a permanent contrat after the summer?

What is the recruiment day like?

Could somenone PM a realistic take home figure for a Junior FO?

Thanks

Feel free to PM

SMOOTHFLIER
24th Feb 2009, 19:22
has anybody else heard from thomas cook?
I have an interview next week
Am i the only one?

viper10.2
24th Feb 2009, 20:35
Wd smoothflier, all best for your interview.

May I ask what experience level you have eg total time, hrs on type etc; just to get an indication of where I stand with total 1350hrs total time with 1100 hrs on a320.

Would be very interested if anybody else who has a TC interview could post this info. Many tks.

Mimiben
24th Feb 2009, 21:02
All answers are not 100% accurate

Whaht is the start date?
April is a realistic timeline
How many FOs are they recruiting?
around 8 F/O
What is the prospect of a permanent contrat after the summer?
at the moment, "good"
What is the recruiment day like?
basic recruitment process, interview with pilot/manager and ops staff, sim ride with a training captain. No cognitive computerized test
Could somenone PM a realistic take home figure for a Junior FO?
35,000 gross an year

SMOOTHFLIER
24th Feb 2009, 22:25
mimiben how do you know all this?
are you an employee?

Mimiben
25th Feb 2009, 06:35
inside infos ...

good luck everyone

pre2mer
25th Feb 2009, 08:46
Does anyone know if they are still looking for 757 rated ppl. filled out an application online about 2 weeks ago and on application tracking still says new application. How long did it take for ppl to get a reply?

Dreamshiner
25th Feb 2009, 21:51
I applied about the same time, not a pook so far. 757 Rated too

Count Bawbag
25th Feb 2009, 22:31
Was told that skippers turning up for sim at Alteon manchester with 10,000hrs trying for F/Os positions with TC :confused: Hope things work out for you guys

Dreamshiner
26th Feb 2009, 15:39
F*%k!$g bankers messing about with our money to get over inflated bonuses for it all to go bust, our money bails them out, they don't pass on the intrest rate cuts on our mortgages and then award themselves bonuses, could you see anyone else doing that? Thats how messed up our society is now, only good thing on ITV is the champions league, Trisha and Jeremy Kyle ruling the airwaves getting overweight, estate dwelling, tracksuit wearing, tweety pie tattooed on their breast inbreads to fight and take lie-detector tests. Where a single white male is the most over taxed, under valued and gets no breaks at all.

Whats the solution, drop VAT to 15%, so my mobile phone bill comes down 50p a month, cheers. Better apportioning that money to building schools (keeps construction workers in jobs), building infrastructure projects (work for civil engineering) than other useless policies.

As a result, airlines suffer, Chuck Yaeger would probably be told "yes but we're just not sure on you yet" if he was lucky to get an interview.

Pisses me off, just hope this cyclical 7 year thing we keep on hearing about materialises.

If I turn on BBC World once more and see that bloody travel program talking about a world pilot shortage of 19,000 by the year 2015 I will go mental and launch aforementioned BBC World and the TV it is displayed on out of the window Rockstar styleee.

Rant over

SMOOTHFLIER
26th Feb 2009, 16:14
what does everyone make of this situation?
Is it likely that tcx will keep temp pilots on after a 6 month contract?
Why are they not recruiting for permanent positions?
I have my ideas but would like to know what others think or if anybody is in the know?

SMOOTHFLIER
26th Feb 2009, 16:17
how many hours would a temp 6 month pilot at tcx expect to accumulate this summer?

LIMA OR ALPHA JUNK
26th Feb 2009, 16:41
You would rack up about 90 hours a month. I doubt you will be kept at the end of the summer on as the airline has too many pilots in the winter (quiet season). That is the reason the contracts are temporary and summer only.

Quite often pilots have been kept at the end of the summer due to atttrition and expansion. However, F/Os are not leaving the company now due to a lack of opportunities elsewhere and the economic climate is worstening. This year is likely to be the last when the company send pilots out to do the Hajj as it starts backing into the summer season in 2010. It is hence looking to fill that void for winter 2010 and consequently taking on more permanent pilots would not make business sense.

Just as a footnote. Thomas Cook is not actually expanding, capacity this year has actually been reduced. All that is happening is that just about all its passengers are being flown by the in-house airline. In the past passengers were flown by XL etc

Hope that helps.

SMOOTHFLIER
26th Feb 2009, 21:20
thanks for that very helpful.
any other thoughts opinions from anyone?

Dreamshiner
26th Feb 2009, 23:25
Find out where the chief pilots daughter goes dancing and get a ring on her finger.

Alternatively creative logbook entries to go from current total to 25,000 on type.

Contract that Fake Sheik guy the News of the World love to involve the board in compromising positions with illicit substances and hookers and blackmail them.

SMOOTHFLIER
1st Mar 2009, 10:52
so how many are going for interviews for a320 positions?
ill be there on wed

CABUS
1st Mar 2009, 11:03
Best of luck with the interviews everyone. From what I have heard and has been confirmed TCX are some 60 pilots short for the summer and are looking to recruit from all areas, including BMI and the usual Canadian guys. I personally think TCX will be looking for some 23 guys from these forth coming interviews instead of the 8 previously quoted as I am lead to believe that there is 25 BMI guys joining and 15 from Canada.

Best of luck!!:ok:

Nearly Man
1st Mar 2009, 11:32
Tis a shame for 757 guys that it's all 'Airbus this and Airbus that' ... what about the beautiful 757 with it's mighty engines that can fly for 8 hours but smells of pee ::confused:
A lot of 757 guys floating about at the moment. Does anyone know many TC take for the 757?

CABUS
1st Mar 2009, 12:58
From what I understand TCX are recieving a further 757 and A330-300 (for a change) this summer so I would imagine there will be some 757 jobs coming up. However, some of the 75's are coming to the end of the lease's (or how ever you spell it) and TCX are looking at 757 replacements at the moment.

Cabus:ok:

Rhodes13
1st Mar 2009, 19:11
coolio545 the minimums were quoted earlier in the thread and specifically said you needed hours on type to apply. I notice you are also asking in the ANA thread and once again you need to get more time both total and on type.

One has to ask why on earth you went and bought a type rating in the current market and on an aircraft such as the 767. Not a very common type compared to 320's and 737's and not really a type that you would start out on now is it? :ugh:

angelorange
2nd Mar 2009, 20:22
Smoothflyer

all the best on weds!

check your pms

cheers

Bad Robot
12th Aug 2009, 11:49
It looks like those hired will be laid off at the end of the summer season for sure.
There is also some debate as to whether or not TCX send pilots to Canada next winter and whether the Canadians come back again next summer.

BR.

angelorange
13th Aug 2009, 17:25
Hmmm, yes from ppjn:

"Current Situation:
Recruitment unlikely until 2010 at the earliest. 6/Aug/09

Outlook:
Summer 2010 fleet plan of 41 aircraft (3 less than S09). Summer contract pilots and cadets to be laid off for the winter"

So CTC cadets loose out again just like at EZY......

A4
13th Aug 2009, 17:51
So CTC cadets loose out again just like at EZY......

Not necessarily so. They may get a few days a month.... but nothing official announced yet. That's the rumour anyway.

A4

RoyHudd
13th Aug 2009, 18:26
Anything special about CTC cadets that renders them immune from the lay-offs that everyone is experiencing???

Thought not.

LIMA OR ALPHA JUNK
13th Aug 2009, 18:34
Good point well made Roy.

All the summers temps are going I understand from experienced BMI co pilots to low hour CTC cadets.