PDA

View Full Version : LAMES

Boeingdream
8th Feb 2009, 10:13
Just curious about what training in terms of time period is expected?
All so what time period is needed to complete the training?

I am playing with the idea of entering this field of work but what are the job prospects like in the future and the money earned?

Cheers Guys.

Widewoodenwingswork
8th Feb 2009, 12:56
You can knock the pre-voc stuff over in a year and then you will need 3 years to finish the on the job training, provided you are able to pick up an apprenticeship at the end of your pre-voc. You can also try and pick up an apprenticeship with a smaller outfit and do your year worth of (tafe) over the 4 years. So generally it's 4 years before you are an AME (technically). That qualifies you to become licenced as experience grows. You will probably start your apprenticeship on around $25k and then come out closer to $40k. A decent LAME with a decade in the trade should command close to $90k depending. If you want to work on Boeings for Qantas, you will need to do a Certificate IV in Aeroskills at somewhere like QIAE, Aviation Australia or ATAE and then hope you have what Qantas wants. Good luck, it's a great trade, you just have to learn to be humble and work hard in your formative years.

Cessna Master Beta
9th Feb 2009, 03:13
I agree with WWWW assessment of how to become a LAME. After doing the 4 year apprenticeship scheme I would tell everyone to avoid it like unprotected sex with a Ethiopian transsexual. The TAFE college I went to was hopeless

If I you I would do a 1 year intensive study with Aviation Australia or QIAE . They have a good mix of practical and theory training.

A cert IV is only good if you want to work with Qantas or the armed forces . If you going to GA or rotary they probably wont care. Other path is to just do your basics thru someone like QAC and then apply for jobs.

CMB

Towering Q
9th Feb 2009, 08:43
I would tell everyone to avoid it like unprotected sex with a Ethiopian transsexual

Have you got the lab results back yet Cessna M B?

Cessna Master Beta
9th Feb 2009, 11:20
TQ the lab results are in ....... Put it this way it went so well that they suspended me from work ! Anyone looking for a GA AME??

Arnold E
9th Feb 2009, 13:10
Wouldn't have thought there was much call for a GA AME in Antartica:E

NutLoose
9th Feb 2009, 13:54
Also ask in the Engineering forum.

employes perspective
9th Feb 2009, 19:13
Other path is to just do your basics thru someone like QAC and then apply for jobs.

this path doesn't work fullstop,don't waste your time,you must have practical experience to become a LAME,also a 1 year intense coarse is not much chop either.I have seen people come out of this coarse who don't know which end of a spanner to hold.
The best way is through a traditional apprenticeship.

Widewoodenwingswork
9th Feb 2009, 19:58
I agree wholeheartedly, how many other trades ask you to fork out $5k for a year so that you can then get the opportunity to get an apprenticeship. No wonder there aren't a lot of youngsters coming through the ranks. It does however make you rather attractive to any potential employer particularly if you gain work experience in your holidays. I can't complain, it got me my start, I just probably would go the conventional route if I had my time again. Cheers.

Cessna Master Beta
9th Feb 2009, 22:32
"Other path is to just do your basics thru someone like QAC and then apply for jobs."

There are plenty of people out there without a Cert IV and working as LAME's . AME Trade certificates arent like that ofplumbers or electricains , when they leave trade school a plumber is licensed to do trade work as too with a electricain. CASA doesnt recognise trade certificates. Its only Companies policys that ask for it like qantas and army as mentioned before.

The first year of of TAFE is basic Physics. MAth , human factors , ground handling etc . After that all you do is the CASA basics. With the TAFE I we never once went into the workshop (except to eat lunch). It was much cheaper to just to pen and paper training .

The other thing is employers see Apprentices as cheap labour and for the first year as apprentice just bumbles along not knowing proper maintenance practices . At least with the Aviation Australia they come out with the theory under there belt and some small amount of practical experiance before they get there hands on a real aircraft . Sure I think AA is aimed at the large airline market but those guys still need to complete an apprenticeship and learn how to swing a spanner.

Anyway its probably better to get a job as a car mech or fitter as you get paid more wth less responbilty.

Chief Erwin
9th Feb 2009, 23:18
CMB
spot on with your recomendations to become a fitter or car mechanic
High stress with average pay, give it away before you can't.

mootyman
10th Feb 2009, 09:07
The method of just doing the basics and nil cert IV is okay, except you still have to have fours years aircraft maintenance experiance before you can apply for a CASA license. It is a total scam that employers will not take on a apprentice with out a pre-voc course yet get all the cash as if they had employed them from day one of their apprenticeship.

The method of just doing basics is also not going to be in the new regulations (if CASA pulls their finger out) so if you are going to do it you have four years to do it from when casa launch their new regs.

I have not seen many engineers succeed using the basics only and nil cert IV way. Think about it, would you like it if the person that released the aircraft (you were to fly in) out of maintenance had only passed some bull**** exams and not done any serious training to get their ticket?

Australian aircraft maintenance training is ****.