PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Rip-Off

ArthurR
8th Feb 2009, 10:33
Just been on Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk, to try and order the DVD "Shameless" series 1-5 box set
Amazon.de price €171
Amazon.co.uk ₤21

But when I tried to order from .co.uk, they tell me I cannot have it sent to a German address, has anyone else come across these Shameless rip-off's
( pun intended )

sled dog
8th Feb 2009, 11:12
I have never had a problem ordering from Amazon uk ( i do not live in Germany, though i am living in Europe).
Why not have the items just sent to a UK address, then forwarded ? Ship To address has not got to be the same as the Billing address. I would also strongly query with Amazon as to the reasons shipping denied.
EU free transfer of goods, etc ?

Sir Lee B´stard
8th Feb 2009, 11:35
I have just had a similar experience with Piximania in respect of a new digital camera. Cheaper on their UK site but insist that I purchase on their Spanish site at the higher price. Not a fortune involved but irritating nonetheless.

Radar66
8th Feb 2009, 11:37
Firstly, different regions have different 'release' dates. For example - we in the UK get film releases later than the States. Often, the prices reflect this - it might be worth your while to wait a little while to economise.

Secondly - unless you have a chipless DVD player, it is worthless you trying to purchase a DVD from another 'region'. If you do have a chipless player - get a pal in England to purchase it for you and then send it on.

Many items on Amazon have several sellers flogging the same thing - sometimes they are classified as 'used' but are effectively as good as new. Shop around.

:)

Storminnorm
8th Feb 2009, 11:44
Why did I think this thread had something to do
with rivers in S America? And piranhas? :confused:

ArthurR
8th Feb 2009, 11:50
Radar over the years I have purchased many items from both Amazon.de and.co.uk, as for DVD's its the same region, so there is no difference.
Sled Dog, I have never had this problem before, and yes I will query amazon. Trouble is I am not PC enough to say its infringing my Human rights ( probrally not human enough either)

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Feb 2009, 12:03
Sounds odd. Both amazon.de and amazon.fr are perfectly happy to ship to UK addresses (although our reasons for buying from them have not usually been price but the fact that amazon.co.uk doesn't carry the foreign language stock).

8th Feb 2009, 12:43
I don't know if the .de site is run the same way as the .co.uk site, but if it is, I know what the problem might be.

When you do a search on amazon uk, you get results from both Amazon as the seller, and also from Amazon marketplace. This is made up of private and business sellers using amazon to flog their goods.

It's possible that some marketplace sellers don't wish to post outside of their home country.

k3k3
8th Feb 2009, 13:01
If anybody has a DVD player they would like to convert to Region Free, there is a seller on Ebay.co.uk who will sell you a hack remote that does the job for about £12, just point the thing at the DVD player, press the button, job done!

His Ebay id is dvdchips, he seems to have remotes suitable for most makes and models, and was certainly a lot cheaper than buying a region free machine that had already been converted when I bought my DVD recorder.

ArthurR
8th Feb 2009, 14:04
419, The seller I looked at is Amazon its self, but yes there were some items from the market place as well, I have used them in the past, and received the items pretty fast, only had a problem with 1, when I bought a used norton virus cd-rom, only to find I could not register it, put that one down to experience.

Bushfiva
8th Feb 2009, 14:10
k3k3. region-free DVD players are now cheaper than the remotes for unlocking locked ones.

Lon More
8th Feb 2009, 15:39
you can often find a free hack to remove the region blocks on the web. Just google the DVD player name and model.

The problem with shipping the Shameless DVD could be that a broadcaster has purchased the rights for that country

Keef
8th Feb 2009, 16:29
Odd. I've ordered DVDs from Amazon.de (eg: das Leben der Anderen) with no problems, shipped to the UK.

Does EU law allow them to differentiate like that? Otherwise, have it sent to a UK address for onward posting.

I remember in my working days, I had to get an export licence to carry a floppy disk or a DVD out of the UK. I think those days have long gone. Nowadays, I carry a whole laptop, with all sorts of stuff on it.

ArthurR
8th Feb 2009, 16:47
Keef, I have a uk address to ship it to, and thats what I will do, but I have bought a lot of DVD's, CD'S, and books from .co.uk and find what has happened insulting, I have also e-mailed .co.uk and asked what "sled dog" has replied, as yet no answer, when I get the answer, I will post here, should be interesting.
In the mean time I have a gift voucher for 100€, which if the answer is not satisfactory, will be the last money I spend with Amazon.

Radar66
8th Feb 2009, 17:09
you could also try this (http://www.play.com/) site. They're based in Jersey so less tax to pay. :ok:

OFSO
8th Feb 2009, 18:12
Can tell you for a fact that amazon don't always ship abroad, 'cos I bought an Acer Aspire One from them last November and amazon specifically stated that they only deliver this item to UK addresses.

With Ryanair to London being (almost) cheaper than the postage to furrin' parts, the solution is obvious.

ArthurR
8th Feb 2009, 18:17
Radar66....:ok:Thanks

StaceyF
8th Feb 2009, 18:56
Ahhh, they're not nicknamed "Scamazon" without good reason.

They had a free mp3 album download promotion doing the rounds on 25th/26th December.........using the code FREEMP3S got you £3 off of an album download.

So, find yourself an album priced at £3, enter the code and bingo, it's a freebie.

Halfway through Xmas day they changed the offer without telling anyone.......you got charged the £3 and it would be refunded "during January".

I wonder how many people forgot about it and missed the fact that the credit never materialised? I didn't.......only to receive an email from Amazon apologising sincerely and crediting a £3 gift voucher to my Amazon account which could be used against "qualifying purchases".

The threat of legal action saw them back down very quickly but I wonder how many others they ripped off?