PDA

View Full Version : Recipe suggestion please

Captain Stable
7th Feb 2009, 16:51
In-laws coming for Sunday lunch tomorrow and I've just been making the dessert - Amaretto Syllabub.

Basically, crumbled Amaretti bicuits with a syllabub mixture of cream, sugar, lemon juice and amaretto liqueur whisked up to a thick creamy constituency on top, then more crumbled Amaretti on top.

Whilst making this, I discovered a bottle of very nice rum in the cupboard and this got me thinking aboout a possible Mojito Syllabub (when we have fresh mint in the garden).

Replace the lemon with lime, add lots of shredded mint, replace the Amaretto liqueur with rum and Bob's (almost) your uncle. But it occurs to me that the Amaretti biscuits wouldn't work. Does anyone have a suggestion what I could replace them with?

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Feb 2009, 16:55
Crumbled boudoir biscuits. Dark choc infused with orange and bits of orange peel frozen for a few minutes then finely grated over the rum syllabub.

Maxbert
7th Feb 2009, 17:02
RT will be along anon- Failing that, a quick trawl through earlier pages in this thread should see you sorted :ok:

Rollingthunder
7th Feb 2009, 17:20
You called?

Been thinking about it. Key Lime biscuits would be nice but key limes are notoriously difficult to obtain in certain places, so making them is likely out of the question. You can order them on the internet but that won't help for today.

Would go for Peek Freans Digestives....or McVities if you must. Soak up rum nicely.

Now you've got me thinking about an old childhood treat. Take one digestive biscuit, slather with butter, place another on top. Finest kind.

Lon More
7th Feb 2009, 17:44
you forgot the hunk of mousetrap and strawberry jam between the 2 digestives there RT.

An alternative to syllabub using the rum. My Dark 'n' Stormy Trifle. (apologies if posted earlier)

base of sliced McVities Ginger Cake
layer of drained tinned coconut chunks, sliced banana and chopped preserved ginger.
liberal slathering of dark rum
cover with custard
serve with cream

BombayDuck
7th Feb 2009, 17:48
While this thread is open, let me ask on something that's been gnawing at me: When cooking with wine, and the recipe calls for red wine, will any do? Or are there particular wines that suit cooking better than others? Which wines do you folks use and is there a reason for it? I've never done this before, so any tips you experienced folks would care to give me?

brockenspectre
7th Feb 2009, 17:51
Captain Stable - how about stem ginger cookies or failing those regular ginger biscuits? They would have enough attitude to stand up to the mint and lime combo. I have used crumbled ginger bikkies (gluten free ones alas) as a basis for cheesecake and whenever I visit Florida I bring back Key Lime juice so my cheesecake is a lime one... been well received in the past.

Let us know what you decide on and... how it tastes :ok:

Rollingthunder
7th Feb 2009, 17:54
Rule one and only for cooking with wine.

Use one you would happily drink.

Depends on what you're cooking...does it suit a robust or a slightly fruity or a slightly sweet wine? Experimentation is called for . Hic. Just kidding, the alcohol is cooked out.

Lon More
7th Feb 2009, 17:54
Wasn't there a discusion here last year about Key lime Cheesecake? West Lakes was involved?

ArthurR
8th Feb 2009, 10:25
BombayDuck you asked

"When cooking with wine, and the recipe calls for red wine, will any do?"

I like to use a Rioja, and agree with RT, a cheap one will do round about 5 a bottle, and then drink the rest with or before the meal. :ok:

Fliegenmong
8th Feb 2009, 10:36
I LOVE cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the meal :}

Seriously ask me about 7 hour roast lamb one day............:ok: (Can't be nothered to typ it right mow........)

Captain Stable
8th Feb 2009, 16:59
I like the ideas for Key Limes and for stem ginger cookies - both excellent suggestions! Thanks folks. :ok:

Effluent Man
9th Feb 2009, 09:55
I have a ten litre winebox in the larder,a Gascony Red from the local producer's co-operative.It's not unpleasant to drink but you wouldn't choose to when so much better stuff is available for about 6-8 a bottle.

I use it neat to make Beef Bourguinon.A good sized jug to about 800g of meat and cooked in the aga for three hours.I used to use drinking wine and I don't think I can tell the difference.

BombayDuck
9th Feb 2009, 11:07
well, thanks for the tips everyone! I'll go through the wine section of the supermarket the next time, and will pick something that is not overly sour - preferably something fruity. I'm not one for the acidic taste of red wines....