PDA

View Full Version : Which is the Most Womanly Drink?

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 07:08
- anything that compliments the colour of the outfit and make-up, unless of course, one is wearing a busy print. In that case, a colourless cocktail would be more appropriate.

- anything with a parasol or piece of fruit dangling off the lip is also darling and fashionable.

- anything with chocolate, i.e. a chocolate martini because for most women, chocolate is better than s*x.

- anything on the rocks, as it can also double as a beauty routine. (Hold ice-cold glass on each eye to reduce morning puffiness.)

- anything with.......please continue.

Fantome
7th Feb 2009, 07:22
Out the back of Bullamakanka where the shielas are few but knock back crates of legopna, not far from the outer Barcoo where the churches also are few, and men of religion scanty,
on a road never cross'd 'cept by folk that are lost,
one Michael Magee had a shanty.. .

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 07:46
Legopna? Can I put it on ice?

Whirlygig
7th Feb 2009, 07:48
Sounds like you mean "stereotypically girlie" rather than "womanly". Since when was an umbrella in a drink sophisicated and classy? Fruit hanging off the lip? That must look very attractive :rolleyes:

Personally, I would have thought Premier Cru Chablis or a Claret is more "womanly", a gin & tonic (Bombay Sapphire and Schweppes of course with a slice of lime and plenty of ice) or maybe just a nice cup of tea.

Cheers

Whirls

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 07:48
BTW....I hope I did not insult any female prooners. Had a busy day ....and just felt like being stoopid! I really don't believe this!

Whirlygig
7th Feb 2009, 07:50
I don't think so ... I suspect you're insulting yourself :}

Cheers

Whirls

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 07:52
whirly, point taken. As I wrote - was just blowing off steam - a rebuttal to "manly drinks."

I was somewhat intrigued by gender-specific drinks. Prolly because I don't drink very much, so never really thought about it. Whole thing seems a bit mystifying, actually.

Loose rivets
7th Feb 2009, 07:53
Anything in a glass - that decreases its volume exponentially as the liquid descends down an umbrella.

Whirlygig
7th Feb 2009, 07:54
I was somewhat intrigued by gender-specific drinks.
What are those then? Are they alcoholic? :\

Cheers

Whirls

Rollingthunder
7th Feb 2009, 07:56
Pink Lady (sorry JUUD), Cosmopolitain, Blue Hawaii, stiff G&T with Tanqueray and Schweppes, wedge of lime. Bull Shot, Pepper Martini?

vapilot2004
7th Feb 2009, 08:31
RT, I think I've had the pleasure of meeting a few of your ladies. :}

In the states it appears to be Midori sours, white wine or one of these trendy new mojitos. At least around these parts.

galaxy flyer
7th Feb 2009, 10:24
Whirls:

What have you got against a G&T, calling it a woman's drink? I drink 'em and there's nothing wrong with that, though, Tanqueray & Tonic is better.

GF

MadsDad
7th Feb 2009, 10:40
Always used to be a Snowball as far as my mum and her friends were concerned, round Xmas time anyway. (And very topical).

Lon More
7th Feb 2009, 10:56
Cyprus sherry ?::ouch:

goudie
7th Feb 2009, 10:59
Lager & lime and gin & orange was my old mum's tipple
Mrs G loves Drambuie
and the barmaid, in my local, drinks anything, but then she ain't no lady!

Too Short
7th Feb 2009, 11:01
Wooooooooooah there! Hang on a minute, I think I'm missing something here:

for most women, chocolate is better than s*x.

There must be some really damn good chocolate out there somewhere - tell me where I get it, right now! :p

I love chocolate but have never found any which has come remotely close to, well... :E

Please don't disappoint me by telling me that I must be an exception to 'most women' - I do really wanna find that chocolate :\

Howard Hughes
7th Feb 2009, 11:01
In Oz women seem to love the 'C:mad:cksucking Cowboy' (http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink11406.html), probably something to do with the choclatey taste, or maybe it's just in the name...;)

Chocolate may not be 'better than sex' per se, but it is certainly great 'in addition too'!:ooh:

Too Short
7th Feb 2009, 11:09
Howie, you just nearly made me spit me coffee out, laughing at that!

Now, chocolate and sex... surely that's too much pleasure to be legal?!

Girlie drinks wise though, give me a mint julep, preferably in New Orleans, or I'm also rather partial to a mojito...

Fantome
7th Feb 2009, 11:12
V2-OMG!

Legopna? Can I put it on ice?

Only if you breast the bar and recite Eskimo Nell in it's entirety.

Other examples of 'Strine':

Glorious heritage - Gloria Sarah Tich

How much is it? - Emma Chisit?

Then there's a funny little book entitled 'Arfur Tow Crate in Staffsheer' that a mate from Stoke treasures. His wife likes Marguerites and she's a knock about stock and station agent's daughter.

Howard Hughes
7th Feb 2009, 11:15
Legopna? You are not referring to the 'Chateau de Legopna' by any chance? Available for about $4-50 from any non reputable bottle shop!;)

Lon More
7th Feb 2009, 11:47
chocolate and sex... surely that's too much pleasure to be legal

Mars bar anyone? (http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/marsbar.asp)

Radar66
7th Feb 2009, 11:50
oh FFS.....! :ugh:

PRRRP! to 'womanly' and 'girly' drinks - to me those descriptions bring up a vision of those ghastly luminous alco-pops things or some creamy vivid gunge with so much rubbish sticking out of the oddly shaped glass that you can't physically GET to the wretched drink!

Please, can't we say 'elegant' instead?

Under the category of 'elegant' - mine's a Vodka and Tonic (as Whirls damn well knows... :hmm:) or a glass of full bodied red wine.

Recently due to present circumstances, I have now been known to partake of a crystal tumbler of single malt - tis wonderful to be curled up on the end of the sofa viewing the glowing embers of the fire refracted through the crystal and gold.

I very rarely 'do' cocktails unless it happens to be pertinent and suitable to the occasion, and, in my opinion, such drinks as Vodka and Tonic, Gin and Tonic, Whisky and Soda, Bullshots, Bloody Mary and such do NOT count as 'cocktails'! :)

There is nothing elegant about necking a pint of beer down with lads at the local, or a group of loud cackling satin clad hens monopolising a large table in the middle of the morphing light show 'cocktail' bar with a table full of sticky residue and umbrellas before going off to dance around their handbags. :rolleyes:

Lon More
7th Feb 2009, 12:00
a glass of full bodied red wine.

Still got the LARGE glass?

couldn't find the piccy:suspect:

goudie
7th Feb 2009, 12:01
You paint a wonderful picture Radz of 'Girl's Night Out'

With you on the Malt.

I must be getting old, took me two takes to realise what Legopna was

Stockpicker
7th Feb 2009, 12:05
Oh no! Rads! We've found something on which to disagree!

My response to the thread title is - mines a pint, and if that makes it hard for you decide whether or not I'm a woman, well....

goudie
7th Feb 2009, 12:07
Stockie, we choristers must keep our vocal chords well lubricated

Fliegenmong
7th Feb 2009, 12:07
I'm an 'Aussie Bloke" but **** me if I'm going to drink nothing but frigin beer! Great stuff if you've been out mowing the lawn, workin' in the yard.....but to drink one after another after another after another? :yuk:, Cocktails or champagne or wine anyday. :cool: (Even if...):ok:

Radar66
7th Feb 2009, 12:10
Is this the picture that you are refering to Mr More? ;)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/zoomersett%20bash%2008/wineglass.jpg

Ah, but Stockie, Stockie, Stockie me elegant jag driver... do you go down to the pub every friday and saturday night in jeans and baggy jumpers and prop up the bar whilst drinking copious pints in competition with the locals?

Or do you just really enjoy the pint for what it is on the occasions that you do find yourself in a decent pub on a sunday evening, sitting in a chair with a few good chums? :)

(I could've SWORN that yours was a voddy and tonic when I bought the round? :confused: )

Fantome
7th Feb 2009, 12:11
There is nothing elegant about necking a pint of beer down with lads at the local, or a group of loud cackling satin clad hens monopolising a large table in the middle of the morphing light show 'cocktail' bar with a table full of sticky residue and umbrellas before going off to dance around their handbags.

. . ..and then some adenoidal typists from Birmingham with flabby white legs and diarrhoea trying to pick up hairy bandy-legged wop waiters called Manuel and once a week there's an excursion to the local Roman Remains to buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleeding Watney's Red Barrel and one evening you visit the so called typical restaurant with local colour and atmosphere and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing "Torremolinos, torremolinos" and complaining about the food - "It's so greasy isn't it?" - and you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and Dr. Scholl sandals and last Tuesday's Daily Express and he drones on and on about how Mr. Smith should be running this country and how many languages Enoch Powell can speak and then he throws up over the Cuba Libres.

Whirlygig
7th Feb 2009, 12:19
Stockpicker, I, too, am rather partial to a pint of real ale but, with the best will in the world and no slurs on our womanhood, it ain't particularly elegant :} especially when drunk out of my favourite leather tankard. However, I don't tend to "neck" it, I prefer to appreciate the taste.

galaxy flyer, G&T (or V&T) is definitely in the "unisex" category so nothing agin it at all (unless it's poofy Gordon's :bored:)

Cheers

Whirls

Fliegenmong
7th Feb 2009, 12:21
Had a White Lady (for want of a better term:E) at the Chicago Hilton almost 12 months ago to the day.....From memory, Gin, Cointreau and lemon juice shaken with ice and strained into a Martinin glass, replicated several times over, ok many times over in the Fliegs' home bar...:}

White Lady cocktail (http://www.theitaliantaste.com/international-recipes/cocktail/iba_cocktail/cucint_cktiba_059_white_lady_eng.php)

Yum!! There are countless others :)
:)

Radar66
7th Feb 2009, 12:28
On the rare occasion that I do drink a 'cocktail' I am fairly partial to either a good tall cold margarita or a mojito at the end of a long hot summer's day, sitting on a veranda and watching the sun turn deep red, orange and golds, whilst shooting the breeze with good friends. :)

Lon More
7th Feb 2009, 12:28
That was the one Rads

"Glass of red wine for the lady" http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/377904744_c9d8b59bf9_o.jpg

S'land
7th Feb 2009, 13:58
I am not sure what a womanly drink is, it seems to depend on many things, location, who is paying for the round, etc. I do remember when my sister lived in Fleetwood going to see her and then going to a "do" with her and brother-in-law in Blackburn While getting a round in the chap next to me ordered two pints and two halfs of Tetley and asked the barman to put a cherry on a stick in the two halfs. When he saw me looking puzzled, he explaind that the two women in his party had asked for a cocktail. I was a bit surprised as I thought that it was only us Yorkshire chaps who were meant to be mean.

Shack37
7th Feb 2009, 16:42
- anything with chocolate, i.e. a chocolate martini because for most women, chocolate is better than s*x.

Better than six what?

Whirlygig
7th Feb 2009, 16:50
No, no, Shack, it's sAx, not sIx, i.e. most women would prefer a bar of Lindt than a Kenny G album.

Cheers

Whirls

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Feb 2009, 17:03
Then GF would pressure one to make the following on hot summer days.

Juice of one lemon

Juice of one lime

Two big handfuls of ice cubes

Tot of vodka

Spoon of castor sugar

Splash of lemonade or bitter/sparkling lemon.

Chuck ice cubes, lemon and lime juice and big spoon of castor sugar into blender and let rip for a few seconds to crush it all to firm slush. Pour into tall beer glass (Continental tall type or Nonic is good) with a slice of lime at the bottom. Add vodka and stir. Splash of lemonade or bitter/sparkling lemon to make it flow a little better and serve with a sprig of mint.

Don't worry about a straw as it has the consistency of a slushy and you'll just waste your time and give yourself a headache trying to drink it like that. Ladies, if you DO manage to drink it through a straw, my number is 082-96..........:E

Beatriz Fontana
7th Feb 2009, 18:20
Nothing wrong with Real Ale in a half pint - or third of a pint - glass.

Do pubs still do Pernod and lemonade? :}

Rollingthunder
7th Feb 2009, 18:35
Yes, along with Bourbon and Coke. :yuk::=:E

birrddog
7th Feb 2009, 19:16
Mrs Birrddog only ever drinks two glasses of white wine.

She can be out with the girls from non until midnight, but all she had was just two glasses of white wine.

Maybe she was drinking from wine glasses like Radar66?

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 19:23
Better than six what?

Shack, I was admonished for being too "prurient" so wasn't sure if I could write the "s" word that rhymes with hex, lex, mex, rex and tex.

I think you have just solved my problem. I'll just substitute "six" for "s*x" because "s*x" usually incorporates "six" (at least to most Americans and Canadians who were taught the Imperial weights and measurement system)......and I better leave it at that.

Regards,
V2.

V2-OMG!
7th Feb 2009, 19:41
Only if you breast the bar and recite Eskimo Nell in it's entirety.

fantome, sounds a bit cold - nipply -- pardon me -- nippy. brrrrrrrrrr.....

Shack37
7th Feb 2009, 20:21
V2

I think you have just solved my problem. I'll just substitute "six" for "s*x" because "s*x" usually incorporates "six" (at least to most Americans and Canadians who were taught the Imperial weights and measurement system)......and I better leave it at that.

I'd recommend dropping Imperial for metric. Won't make any physical difference of course but a morale boosting incorporating 15.
Best drink for the ladies is a double single malt whisky.

s37

Fantome
8th Feb 2009, 03:47
Ahhh, a sizist in the wings, with a veiled reference to six of the best? Slipping out of the old imperial into something more datal less dimensional, Jimmy Edwards, comedian, WW11 Dakota pilot, titled his book, largely about his war years, 1939 to 1945, which he bore with generally a light heart and aplomb, Six of the Best. A Dom man most likely, when consorting or courting.

V2-OMG!
8th Feb 2009, 05:30
Ahhh, a sizist in the wings, with a veiled reference to six of the best? Slipping out of the old imperial into something more datal less dimensional, Jimmy Edwards, comedian, WW11 Dakota pilot, titled his book, largely about his war years, 1939 to 1945, which he bore with generally a light heart and aplomb, Six of the Best. A Dom man most likely, when consorting or courting.

fantome, you are amazing - how do you come up with this? You remind me of an Aviation Disneyland - "The Happiest Place on Earth."

I'm impressed!

Tower Ranger
8th Feb 2009, 06:14
I can`t believe we`ve got to page three without mentioning Malibu and Pineapple and of course Bacardi and Blackcurrant!

V2-OMG!
8th Feb 2009, 07:11
I can`t believe we`ve got to page three without mentioning Malibu and Pineapple and of course Bacardi and Blackcurrant!

And "How many calories and carbs - will this make me fat?"

My answer: After a few - who cares?

Rwy in Sight
8th Feb 2009, 09:34
Maybe a drink that would make her look good on a man's eyes (that she found him attractive)

Rwy in Sight

Beatriz Fontana
8th Feb 2009, 09:48
Maybe a drink that would make her look good on a man's eyes (that she found him attractive)

That's about four pints, isn't it? Consumed by the bloke, that is :}

hellsbrink
8th Feb 2009, 10:25
A mere half gallon, Beatriz?

Sorry, but for some of us that's a starter

moosp
8th Feb 2009, 12:54
Showing my age here and perhaps due to a Northern UK upbringing, but Brandy and Babycham was the woman's drink of the day.

Wickedly potent, but I do remember the girlfriend of a local garage owner who could skull them all night and still drive the Triumph Stag back home safely.

Pre all the laws in the last forty years that pertained to that indiscretion of course.

ThreadBaron
8th Feb 2009, 14:33
I must be getting old, took me two takes to realise what Legopna was
I still ent worked it out. I need a drink!

Please put me out of my misery.

Matari
8th Feb 2009, 14:37
Down south here, most of the ladies prefer the famous "Margarita."

Frozen or on the rocks, with our without the rim of salt, it contains the best stealth alcohol known to man: tequila.

Arriba!

ThreadBaron
8th Feb 2009, 14:42
Doh!!:ugh:

OK now!

Davaar
8th Feb 2009, 16:50
Six of the Best. A Dom man most likely, when consorting or courting.

I did not know he had written a book. Must try to get hold of a copy. That apart, I find this all rather allusive, and I am not at all sure I catch the allusions. What does it mean? I take the second sentence to refer to Dom Perignon, but maybe I am wrong. The "consorting or courting" escapes me. Is there some innuendo there? Sorry to ask for explanation of what may be obvious to many.

Radar66
8th Feb 2009, 18:48
Hmm... I also read and understood that to be similar to your theory Davaar sir.

Having recently bolted from London and all the 'suave' eurotrash types that frequent the Chelsea/Fulham borders, South Kensington and Knightsbridge areas, it is my experience that they, who know little of champagne like to 'target' a victim, a 'lady' and pile her with Dom Perignon for seemingly altruistic reasons... if the 'lady' is deemed rich and glamorous enough, then they will be 'courting'. However if she is of a 'good time girl' nature, then it would be 'consorting'. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm more of a Charles Lafitte, Moutard-Diligent, Louis Roederer or a Billecart-Salmon girl. :)

Whirlygig
8th Feb 2009, 22:59
I thought it meant Dominant :\

Cheers

Whirls

Fantome
9th Feb 2009, 04:31
Porphyry Pearl and Barossa Pearl were once touted as your FAQ legopna.

Advertisements (http://www.netspeed.com.au/bhk/lounging%20Around/advertisments.htm)

Anything but requiring an acquired taste. Back in the days when if you asked is there any wine you were lucky to get a cup of claret. True. Often served in a tea cup in the down market cafes.

Have not noticed any mention here of the perfect dry martini. Shaken not stirred.

Whirlygig
9th Feb 2009, 07:34
Shaken not stirred.
Martinis should be stirred, not shaken. If you shake them, the ice melts more quickly and you get a cold, cloudy, watery drink plus the shaking action can bruise the gin, giving it a slightly bitter taste.

James Bond had no class.

Cheers

Whirls

goudie
9th Feb 2009, 10:35
James Bond had no class

Maybe not Whirls but he could certainly pull the birds.

Went to a village party in the West Country many years ago and some of the ladies were drinking 'snakebite' which, I believe, is banned in many pubs.

Snakebite=cider&lager

Beatriz Fontana
9th Feb 2009, 17:47
I reckon James Bond is about the only bloke who could drink martini at the bar and still pull birds...

Ever tried red wine and coke? Or there was that hideous concoction called "Medway" in southern parts, or "Humber" in northern parts: Coke, orange juice and vodka. Looked like pondwater (or river estuaries), tasted like pondwater.

Not manly, not womanly, not cool. :yuk:

Storminnorm
9th Feb 2009, 18:04
My Mum used to love Port and Lemon, or Mackeson Stout.

The Memsahib only has white wine. Boring!

Lon More
9th Feb 2009, 18:36
Brain Haemorrhage :ugh:

http://www.bolscocktails.com/img/cocktails/2474.jpg:ugh:

Layer in order

22 mls BOLS Peach liqueur

5 mls BOLS Grenadine syrup

15 mls Baileys / Irish cream liqueur

Pour the Bols Peach and then layer the Irish cream liqueur over it using a speared cherry or barspoon. Then carefully drip Bols Grenadine onto the Irish cream liqueur: it will form gooey brown-red strands that drip into the clear Bols Peach.

This drink knows many variations and also alternative names, such as the Dead Baby, Car Crash, Abortion, Foetus, et cetera.

Radar66
9th Feb 2009, 19:11
That reminds me of the Gutshot....

http://whatscookingamerica.net/RestaurantReviews/AcadiaBistro/OysterShooter.jpg

Basically an oyster in a shot glass, further filled with a very very spicy Bloody Mary mixture. http://www.myembroideryhaven.com/forum/images/smiles/www_MyEmoticons_com__hypnotised.gif

(it's actually really rather very good! :O )

macdee
9th Feb 2009, 19:55
Brandy / Babycham, Port /Brandy are lovely drinks,and Brandy /Lovage is a nice sipping nightcap. A Whisky and Lovage also.
Not all in the same glass of course:)
The lovage is also good for an upset tum!

macdee

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Feb 2009, 06:13
Red wine and Coke is a pretty manly drink. Called a Catembe and popular in Mozambique using local red wine which was as close to vinegar as to be undrinkable on it's own, hence the addition of Coke. Used to quaff it by the gallon while fishing. As for being manly, you'd have to spend a few days on a Moz fishing boat chasing game fish with a hand line to understand....:ok: