PDA

View Full Version : LST ground handling merry-go-round

tasdevil.f27
7th Feb 2009, 05:54
The virgin & Jetstar ground contracts are up for grabs. Seems to be plenty of interest in them to.

I wish all the QF boys all the best with there bid & if unsuccessful I hope you get a good payout and get first options at the new company and hope its not a debacle like OOL was.

tasdevil.f27
24th Mar 2009, 07:08
News just in.

Print (javascript:printStory();) Email (http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/mailto/mailto-nojs_query.pl?http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2Fstories%2 F2009%2F03%2F24%2F2524705.htm) Share (javascript:shareStory();) Add to My Stories (javascript:void(0);)
Jetstar axes ground staff

Posted 5 hours 0 minutes ago
Updated 4 hours 35 minutes ago
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r352575_1618287.jpg (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r352575_1618292.jpg) The airline is outsourcing its ground handling operations in Hobart and Launceston. (Supplied)

The low-cost airline Jetstar has announced it is cutting ground handling operations in Tasmania.
Eighteen staff at Hobart and Launceston airports have been told they have the option of redundancy or being redeployed.
The airline will outsource its ground handling operations at both airports to the Tasmanian-based company Air Trade.
Jetstar Spokesman Simon Westaway says Air Trade has indicated it may be able to re-employ some of the staff.
"What the management of Air Trade will be doing is meeting with our staff on the ground in both Hobart and Launceston from later this week," he said.
"That is a commitment that that organisation has given at the end of the day they need to make a determination in terms of what is the right balance and mix for that organisation."
Jetstar shut its Hobart air crew base two weeks ago, giving 40 staff the option of redeployment or redundancy.

tasdevil.f27
24th Mar 2009, 07:11
Airtrade run AAE here in tassie.

tasdevil.f27
24th Mar 2009, 08:57
New agent doing Jetstar & maybe the dash 8 (haven't heard about that yet)

Yes D C &^$^& still run virgin lst, but that is up soon (ish) as well for re-tender. They did tender for the J* contract but luckily they missed out.:ok:

I hope the QF boys get a decent payout from Qantas & those who want a job get offered one. Interesting to see what the pay rate is for the new handlers....

porch monkey
25th Mar 2009, 08:23
Sure, they'll employ half the people and do it for half the wages. And I can assure you they'll give half the service.

Eastwest Loco
25th Mar 2009, 11:22
Seconded and carried Porchsan.

I could say a whole lot more here, but will refrain.

Best wishes to all the good ex TN people who have worked their butts off under less than idyllic circumstances.

EWL

tasdevil.f27
25th Mar 2009, 21:50
Examiner newspaper.

JETSTAR'S decision to change its passenger service contract at Launceston Airport could cost another 20 jobs, it was revealed yesterday. While Jetstar confirmed that four of its staff could be impacted by the decision, it emerged that about 15 Qantas staff and a handful of labour hire workers could also be affected.
Jetstar has appointed Hobart- based company Air Trade Pty Ltd to conduct its ramp and passenger services. The services - including baggage handling and on-ground aircraft assistance - are now provided jointly by Jetstar and Qantas, under subcontract from Express Ground Handling.
Qantas media spokesman Joe Aston said it was too early for the airline to say what would happen with job losses.
"We made a submission to keep the work but our bid wasn't successful," Mr Aston said.
"Even though we are related airlines it didn't mean we had any favourable treatment."
It is understood some Qantas staff would be kept to assist with daily QantasLink flights but this could not be confirmed by Mr Aston late yesterday.
Air Trade managing director Scott Cleary confirmed that he could not guarantee all jobs would be absorbed by his company, which has 22 staff in Launceston operating freight handling services for companies such as Air Express.
A meeting will be held with Jetstar staff today but Mr Cleary said he was unaware that Qantas staff were involved.
"I haven't had any discussions with Qantas," Mr Cleary said.

Interesting times for the boys ahead.

tasdevil.f27
26th Mar 2009, 06:12
Outsourced Jetstar staff 'compromise airport security'

The Transport Workers Union (TWU) has threatened industrial action over the employment of 100 outsourced staff at three national airports.
Qantas subsidiary Jetstar will employ the baggage handlers and check-in staff at Launceston, Hobart and Sydney international airports.
TWU national secretary Tony Sheldon says the move will compromise airport security.
"Labour hire, outsourced staff, are very high turnover - they put people there on temporary passes because of this high turnover," he said.
"It's the way these companies have consistently operated, including the companies they're contracted to.
"What that will mean is that people will always be at risk."

Talking to some QF boys today, there have no idea yet what is happening with there jobs, the Dash 8 handling has not been discussed either. They have not been told how many jobs the new contractor has. Looks like a union **** fight is on the cards, maybe some delayed planes soon.

porch monkey
26th Mar 2009, 11:31
No need to say more EWL..... I experience it every working day!!!:{

Eastwest Loco
26th Mar 2009, 12:08
tas

The unions allegedly supporting ground staff are about as much use as labia on a mailbox.

They know they are beaten and they try to make noises to seem to be doing something to justify the hundreds of thousands of dollars they have scammed from the poor punters that their airline has told them they must affiliate with, but they are not worth a pinch of ****.

I struck it here in DPO with our staff that had to join the TWU and our counter dudes who told the FCU (Useless bastards) but told them to wrack off.

The ground Unions are merely piss and wind and just trying to survive, and in a tight corner they go missing.

Ignore them and go out for yourself good people - and good luck in this ugly time.

Best rgards

EWL

tasdevil.f27
26th Mar 2009, 20:09
I agree pretty much agree EWL. I support unions, but there is no point in jumping up & down now or threatening industrial action. What would be pretty rough will be if most of the boys do not get offered jobs with the new company. In that instance I can understand the union action. I guess I'm saying its the way of the airline industry these days & like it or not its here to stay. Everyone just has to make the best out of it as they can and do what suits them.

This may or may not be working for the new operator.

clearone
28th Mar 2009, 21:36
Does anyone know if Airtradeoff has any experience in Ground Handling?

tasdevil.f27
29th Mar 2009, 03:38
Hi Clearone,

The only experience they have is handling AAE's 737 freighters at HBA & LST. This is their first go at passenger operations.

clearone
29th Mar 2009, 04:54
Thanks TassyD,

They may find life a little different in handling SLF!!

tasdevil.f27
29th Mar 2009, 10:15
They advertised for staff yesterday, so if they pick up the QF contractors they will be better off. But if go for all new staff it will be fun & games for a while, much like OOL was at the start of the J* contract.

The Dash handling contract tender closed on Friday, until that is announced the QF direct employees dont know what the future holds.

Joker 10
29th Mar 2009, 10:43
We could get Scurvy D Dog to do it he is an expert on all thing Tasmanian

tasdevil.f27
27th Apr 2009, 10:10
quick update.

Interviews have been held for Jet* handling at LST, but with the QLink contract still not known it has made things difficult for the new operator to know how many staff are required, certainly not the 20 odd staff that qantas have now!

tasdevil.f27
1st May 2009, 08:16
Air Trade had picked up the Dash contract, so the TAA / QF era has finished at LST.
I believe roughly about 7 -10 staff have been retained to run J* & Qlink. Most QF (directly employed) staff have lost there jobs.

Eastwest Loco
1st May 2009, 11:06
Another reason to avoid LST.

If I can't afford to fly out of DPO, I will stay home (much to the annoyance of Mrs Loco!)

All the best to the ex TN/JQ/QF staff.

The good stuff moves to the top so you should find rewarding employment quickly, and thank you so much for your service over the years.:D:D

Best all

EWL

Jet Fixer
2nd May 2009, 12:38
Pardon my ignorance I've not previously heard of Air Trade - how long have they been into ramp services and where else do they conduct their ground handling activities?

tasdevil.f27
2nd May 2009, 22:12
G'day Jet Fixer.

Air Trade runs AAE (aust air express) at Hobart & Launceston. So they do the 737 freighter etc. This is there first go at doing ground handling for RPT aircraft. :eek:

tasdevil.f27
25th May 2009, 03:28
I'm pretty sure its today (or tomorrow) that Qantas finish handling Jetstar. The few blokes that didn't get a job continue with QF for another week handling the Dash 8 flights until AirTrade take that over as well.

All the best to those unlucky few that will be leaving LST, some with decades of service / experience.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
25th May 2009, 03:48
No doubt the Armaguard truck will be making a special delivery to Western Junction for all the final pay cheques!

tasdevil.f27
1st Jun 2009, 09:58
As we speak the last couple of QF staff will be preparing to receive there last flight.
Airtrade start D8's tomorrow & looks likely there first flight may end up being a late departure in the morning already.

tasdevil.f27
17th Jun 2009, 04:41
The recent qantas charters for the footy at LST required the services of the Hobart QF staff to handle them. New agent not allowed to touch them.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
25th Jun 2009, 03:02
I see Princess has moved over to the dark side and and is now working for Virgin.

tasdevil.f27
25th Jun 2009, 05:17
lol, sure has. Also another employee left Airtrade & went to VB after a few weeks. Cant say I'd be wanting to work for the "She Devil" (she devil might be to nice a word) at VB - LST.

tasdevil.f27
30th Jun 2009, 08:51
The Dash contract is back up for tender, as Airtrade have lost / given it away (depends who u talk to) as of the end of July 09.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
1st Jul 2009, 07:14
Word on the street is that ,Eastern/QLink management aren't impressed with the cailbre of staff employed by the contractor and don't want to be associated with them.
Also a number of OH&S issues have been raised.

Prado
3rd Jul 2009, 11:52
CLX (now wasn't she a good old bird),

That's a rough call on the staff side of things, given that there are capable ex QF staff working for airtrade and handling the Dash. You're not being kind to them.

Me thinks the lack of respect management to management is applicable from both sides, and from what I've heard, Eastern have done nothing to endear themselves to anyone in the port lately! But apparently that is SOP for them. :ugh:

Cheers
Prado

tasdevil.f27
4th Jul 2009, 06:18
For the morning flight Airtrade use 1 Leading Hand, ex qf and then use staff from AAE to help load it.

For the arvo turn its a mix of ex qf & AAE staff. I have heard that training has been pretty poor if not none for the AAE staff who have been forced to do Dash 8 & A320 aircraft.

The AAE blokes are not real happy at having to stop there own work & come & do pax stuff.

Now if you cant handle a couple of Dash flights what hope is there.:confused:
Only wish I had the business know how, would tender for it. Hopefully if anyone of the current LST handlers get it, Aerocare gets it, the boys & girls need some more work.

Dog One
4th Jul 2009, 12:39
This would be a good gig for East West Loco to hone his past skills on!

Eastwest Loco
4th Jul 2009, 13:21
Oh I wish Dog One!

EWL:ok:

tasdevil.f27
6th Jul 2009, 03:31
I believe that NTL Ground Handling Pty. Ltd have got the dash 8. If so, that makes 4 different operators all working out of LST.

Stationair8
7th Jul 2009, 11:09
Does the Dash8 ever actually depart or arrive on time?

Prado
11th Jul 2009, 11:44
Stationair8,

Nah, not ever, from what I've heard!

"Now if you cant handle a couple of Dash flights what hope is there" - tasdevil, the contractor seem to do pretty well with the A320's, what could possibly be so complex about a Dash8? Serious question, I am intrigued.

Cheers
Prado

tasdevil.f27
12th Jul 2009, 01:06
Its always on time, give or take 4 hours :} The on time performance has been pretty bad the last month or so. Seems since the 400 has been running its always late???

the contractor seem to do pretty well with the A320's, what could possibly be so complex about a Dash8? Serious question, I am intrigued.

Nothing complex about the D8, open hold door, unload bags, reload bags, close hold door, chat up hostie and wave good bye, close front door!

I believe the contractor had to send the AAE staff to sydney for training, didn't want to fork out the money!

Good luck to the new contractors, all very interested to see how they go for staff, as there will be only a few hours a day or 3 trips from home to the airport each day.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
12th Jul 2009, 06:13
To be a contractor for Qantaslink's largest regional airline you have to meet their high standards, have suitably qualified and reputable staff, do the training required and get a tick in all the boxes. If not they will find a suitable contractor that they know will do the job correctly, that why they have appointed NTL Ground Handling.

Pretty simple concept.

12th Jul 2009, 22:37
If it is that simple, why did the other mob get the contract originally?:confused:

porch monkey
13th Jul 2009, 01:34
Cheaper, would be the main criteria, I'm sure:hmm:

tasdevil.f27
14th Jul 2009, 10:00
was told by a local pilot that there will be some staff changes at Airtrade once the dash goes. Jumping from the sinking ship.

tasdevil.f27
1st Aug 2009, 02:24
Word from LST is that NTL take over the Dash on the 8th August now instead of the 18th.

Stationair8
7th Aug 2009, 08:33
So who does the Qantas B737 turnarounds for the AFL matches now?

tasdevil.f27
8th Aug 2009, 11:03
Qantas HBA staff,

NTL took over the dash this morning.

If airtrade continue bouncing the stairs on the side of the aircraft they may loose that as well. Fair dinkum, what i witnessed the other day was beyond belief!

Eastwest Loco
11th Aug 2009, 12:13
it is not that hard indeed to avoid hurting the aeroplane Tas, but it happens and you feel like retraining staff with a tyre iron.

When charters come in QF HBA send in staff. QF mainline send in charters regularly for AFL matches.

The industry has fallen a long way down the bottomless pit.

Quel domage :sad::ugh:

EWL

11th Aug 2009, 23:08
Couldn't agree more!
EWL, you hit the nail on the head.

tasdevil.f27
14th Aug 2009, 07:44
Heard yesterday that the company owner was seen bashing stairs into the side of them as well........

Guys, keep yr wits about u if taxing around or past J* aircraft at LST, tugs now have a habit of pulling out in front of you!

Did someone mention monkeys?????? :ugh:

Dog One
9th Sep 2009, 11:45
Had the opportunity to visit Tassie just recently. Flew out of LST with J* and was suitably impressed with the check in staff. Had a wander around the terminal, which has changed a lot since its early days (designed for two airlines).

There were four aircraft on the ground and the check in area was pretty busy, but the customer flow was quite good. How ever, all the good work at the front end was wasted, as the queue through the single screening point stretched down the terminal to the baggage collection area. People were becoming agitated at the thought of missing their flight.

I would hope that the current system is only temporary and will be upgraded to handle the passenger through put.

tasdevil.f27
10th Sep 2009, 06:27
If your visit was in the last month or 2 then yes that is the finished security area. Has been many complaints about it, just as there was under the old security area.

Its still a joke! One screening que, and they are slow as old wet weeks. Come summer time it be worse when the loads are up and extra flights come in.

Dog One
10th Sep 2009, 10:38
Looks like some one hasn't looked out the window. The day I was there, there were 2 A320's, a EMB190 and the Dash 8/400. Potentially 550 pax needing to go through security in a short space of time. It would appear that little thought has been given to the set up, as pax with friends won't go through security until the last moment, as their friends can't accompany them to the security lounges. Most airports I visit allow well wishers to accompany pax up to the boarding gate.

You have there a nicely updated terminal, with quick and efficient check in, then it all goes pear shape when you get to security, and yu stand and wait and wait and wait.

TrafficTraffic
10th Sep 2009, 12:37
Launceston Airport, Tasmania, Australia - Launceston Airport Master Plan (http://www.launcestonairport.com.au/asp/content.asp?articleID=535)

Download PDF
2009 Launceston Airport Preliminary Master Plan (7,067 KB)

Page vi Executive Summary

Right hand paragraph 1/4 of the way down..

• Provision for expansion of terminal facilities
as demand requires, including:
- Additional gate lounges;
- Expansion of ground floor level
public lounges;
- Additional check-in and Checked Bag
Screening facilities;
- Activation of the second passenger
screening point; and
- Upgrade of the terminal infrastructure as
demand requires.

TT

tasdevil.f27
10th Sep 2009, 22:16
Its good reading that master plan, like all the previous ones it must be taken with a grain of salt. Whoever writes it seems to throw everything they can think of into it, have a look at the numerous options for the freight & GA apron.

Back on topic,

The infrastructure is being put in place now in case they ever decide to add the remaining to 2 gate lounges. The concrete slab had been poured next to the J* gate 2. Apparantly gate 4 lounge will not have the slab poured, but the pipe works etc, foundations have been layed.

They should have 2nd security que running now when multiple flights are on the ground together. Some afternoons can have Dash 8, J*, VB and Tiger arrive around the same time. Hopefully this summer they will fix the issue.

- Additional check-in and Checked Bag
Screening facilities;

We are not sure what they mean by this, as they have a new bagroom and there is no room for any additional x ray machines in it??? Even with checkin they are limited for room to expand without major changes, which would seem silly after spending so many millions to build what they have now.

But as Dog One said its a pretty decent job they have done overall. :ok:

tasdevil.f27
6th Oct 2009, 00:46
Qantas has removed all of its stored GSE from the hanger. Be interesting to see what happens for Footy charters next year.

Dunnza
6th Oct 2009, 05:50
Isnt the new contractor supposed to be getting additional GSE equipment onboard!

I bloody hope so though!

tasdevil.f27
6th Oct 2009, 07:22
Not sure if the Dash contractor has done some recent deal with QF, haven't heard anything. Doubt they would buy stairs, barrows, belts for a few footy charters.

QF has left 2 tugs and a couple of barrows for the dash contract.

Dont imagine Airtrade will be doing them, they didn't touch them this year!

Are non QF staff allowed to touch QF 737's or is there a union agreement around?

Normasars
6th Oct 2009, 07:39
I would have thought any future charter would be on a Q400.

After all, with 74 seats there is 2 footy teams and support staff and still room left over.

All the GSE is already there in that case.

tasdevil.f27
6th Oct 2009, 10:18
maybe an option, or just stick them in cattle class on VB / J* :}

Airbus Enforcer
20th Jan 2010, 21:36
Well it's just over 3 weeks until the first of the football charter flights start and Qantas are ****ting themselves. We've had at least 3 calls in the last few weeks saying "are you sure you don't have any stairs for a 737 there?" Sorry guys you took them to HBA when you sacked us in May! I keep suggesting that Virgin have all the equipment for 737 operations ;)

tasdevil.f27
21st Jan 2010, 04:28
Nah, just do what they did the other week when the QF 737 went there & use the DPL to unload them.......:ok: