PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in the snow? Straighten your front wheels!

rotornut
6th Feb 2009, 22:40
After seeing lots of videos of your plight in the UK, may I please offer this advice. If you are stuck in snow or whatever, steer your car straight ahead. Don't worry about hitting anything. Once you get a bit of momentum you can steer the car away from any obstacles. I've seen so many cars stuck, here and abroad, that spin their tires while the wheels are turned to the side and remain stuck!

Avitor
6th Feb 2009, 22:44
There's too many people in the UK, mate, who have no idea which way their front wheels are headed. :}

Rollingthunder
6th Feb 2009, 22:46
Try backing up the hill. Done it many times.

G-CPTN
6th Feb 2009, 22:51
Or that by easing off (and maybe using a higher gear) they can regain traction.
Instead they select low gear and floor the accelerator pedal . . .

rotornut
6th Feb 2009, 22:52
OK, the intelligent replies. By the way, did the King ever find the crown jewels lost in the Wash?

con-pilot
6th Feb 2009, 23:02
Instead they select low gear and floor the accelerator pedal . . .

Ah, God yes, I love driving by people who are sitting still, the engine howling in protest as the drive wheels spin uselessly emitting huge, billowing clouds of smoke and steam, as I pass them going up a hill on the ice covered road. :p

I actually know of couple of incidences where drivers have been killed when, on a rear wheel drive car, the drive tire/s have exploded, punctured the fuel tank and ignited the fuel causing an explosion. Darwinism at work.

Blacksheep
6th Feb 2009, 23:16
Snow? Has it been snowing?

Being one of those people so hated by the climate change fluffies, who drives a 4 x 4 with heated front & rear windows, heated wing mirrors, heated seats, "intelligent" drive train and built in heated liquid holder, one has been bowling about in my shirtsleevs, sipping hot coffee while negotiating the slalom course of abandoned cars, jack-knifed lorries and groups of frozen snowman builders with aplomb.

In summer, when people try picking on me for looking down upon them and burning excess fuel, one shall remind them of this. Perhaps if more people drove 4 x 4s the planet would warm up a bit and we wouldn't have all this drama with deep snow and ice storms... :E

DX Wombat
6th Feb 2009, 23:19
Keeping the wheels straight is fine unless you are trying to get started on a hill when turning them to one side provides you with a shallower slope and maybe the opportunity to gain some momentum. You may then be able to zigzag your way uphill. Been there, done that when I was a District Midwife. This method also works for getting caravans moving up a steep slope.

Dushan
6th Feb 2009, 23:28
If you have a front wheel drive car then you can steer in the direction you want to go to. The problem is that you also need good snow tires (tyers). Even the all seasons won't work in more than an inch or so.

Google Hakkapeliitta.

ShyTorque
7th Feb 2009, 00:03
You may then be able to zigzag your way uphill. Been there, done that when I was a District Midwife.

Years ago we did it on the way home from the pub... :}

If you suffer rear wheel spin when setting off in a rear wheel drive car, an old trials driving tip is to lightly apply the handbrake. This restrains the skidding rear wheel and forces some drive across to the other side of the axle, which might just get you moving. If your car has a limited slip diff or traction control it may make no difference because it is already being done for you. A diff lock is a big benefit in these circumstances, if you're lucky enough to have one.

Obviously, the handbrake tip won't work on a front wheel driven car.... just thought I'd mention that for the mechanically challenged... OK, unless it's an old FWD Citroen with a front wheel handbrake.... :D

Scoggy
7th Feb 2009, 00:40
Good tip ShyTorque. As an ex Capri driver, any clue to improved traction was taken on board.

Now as a Discovery driver I have been revelling in my traction. HOWEVER, I have taken much note of increased braking distances. Unlike many mortals in lesser cars.

That said, down in deepest Essex, a small smattering of white-stuff has resulted in chaos, unlike real snow experienced in more manly counties...

con-pilot
7th Feb 2009, 00:43
When it comes to driving on snow and ice, give me a good heavy Cadillac with a North-star engine and front wheel drive. When you come up to a big snow drift, you just use the the weight of the Cadillac to beat the snowdrift into submission.

Or, a VW bug and just drive over the top of the snowdrift. :p

unstable load
7th Feb 2009, 01:12
As an ex farm boy from warmer climes I learnt those tricks when navigating slipperier (I know it's not a real word) mud.

It becomes interesting when gravity takes over and no amount of brakes of even going into reverse has any effect!:eek:

RatherBeFlying
7th Feb 2009, 01:31
I hear them every winter. The Subaru, even with 83,000 km. on the much maligned Geosquealers just keeps going:p

The rear wheel drive car that's decent in the snow is the old VW Bug because it's got the weight oin the wheels. It's also light enough that if you get stuck (and have the brains to refrain from wheel spinning) you can get out and heave on the bumper to get yourself unstuck:ok:

The Renault 5 was also good.

Now a word of warning to front wheel drivers: the go is terrific, but serious taildragger management skills are required to avoid groundlooping if you use the brakes in poor adhesion:uhoh:

I suddenly realised I was in a front wheel drive when the rental car started to act up on a two lane road with oncoming traffic and steep embankments on both sides:uhoh:

Taildraggers are easy compared to this:eek:

vapilot2004
7th Feb 2009, 02:25
The thing about front wheel drive is it asks for two frictional forces from the tires. The steering friction limits the available motive friction when we are at the adhesion limits.

RatherBe, I drove a Beetle that would get us up some impressive snow-covered hills when I lived in Germany. :ok:

Loose rivets
7th Feb 2009, 05:31
That NorthStar engined Caddy is something else. Soooooooo much weight on the front wheels. The mid-sized (UK read huge) STS or SLS is one of my all-time favorites. Never tried it in snow...the only snow here in 109 years happened when visiting Austin, and we missed it.

I drove from Cardiff to east coast one night in an 1100. Bit special that was. 1300 engine with lots of gusto. Got just past Colchester and came to a place that I didn't recognise. Driven on that road all my life. Just White everything, and a bank higher than the car. I hadn't seen anyone for ages...not a single car since Chelmsford. No help. I drove at the bank, and managed to back out...did it time and time again. Sh1t or bust! 15mile walk if I couldn't get through. After about 20 controlled crashes, I broke out the other side. Heaven! Slept in me nice warm bed instead of on the back seat.

Fark'n'ell
7th Feb 2009, 06:20
In summer, when people try picking on me for looking down upon them and burning excess fuel, one shall remind them of this. Perhaps if more people drove 4 x 4s the planet would warm up a bit and we wouldn't have all this drama with deep snow and ice storms...

Blacksheep

The problem is that the planet is cooling down so we are going to need a massive increase in 4WDs. Bring it on.

Scumbag O'Riley
7th Feb 2009, 06:28
Dushan has pretty much nailed it. Without proper M&S (and that's not bloody Marks and Spencers) tyres you are stuffed. Even with decent tyres you can be stuffed

This year is the first year I've driven on snow in the UK after many years experience of snow driving in the US, I am very confident in snow. I was absolutely shocked/scared by the poor handling of my car recently. All boiled down to having rubbish tyres, one suspects they don't really sell winter tyres out here, no real need. So I now stay off the snowy roads because if I am somewhat unsure with significant snow driving experience, I am not going to be out there mixing it with your average UK driver.

xraydice
7th Feb 2009, 07:43
Whilst sitting in the stationary traffic yesterday in Aberdeen ( early rush hour and biff drivers ) I was chatting to a german chap who thought it funny that he and I were the only ones who had chains on our tyres, he was saying its mandatory to have snow rated tyres in the winter months in Germany, prehaps we should adopt this too for the next "snow event" ( in a 100 years time !! )

Effluent Man
7th Feb 2009, 08:49
Unless you have the benefit of four wheel drive the best option is a very light,small,low powered car.I used to do competitive hill trials years ago.The object was to get a car as far along a course as you could.The course was of increasing gradient and a mud surface.The cars that did well in this were 1.Small "specials" Lotus 7 lookalikes 2.VW Beetle (engine over the driving wheels) and 3. Basic Minis. An FWD Cadillac would not even have got to the event.

Keef
7th Feb 2009, 09:40
Surprising how many 4x4s got stuck in the snow round here (mind you, it is Essex).

I think the benefit of the 4x4 is that it is far larger than everything else, so mum 'n kids are less likely to get hurt than the one they hit.

Effluent Man
7th Feb 2009, 09:55
The safety aspect is very mixed.A 4X4 has markedly worse braking performance because the weight=momentum and it still only has four tyres to soak that up.If you hit anything solid,tree,truck etc a 4x4 folds up less which is good from a passenger protection point of view but bad from energy dissipation.
In short you stop more suddenly.In addition it's far less manouvrable to avoid the accident in the first place and more prone to roll over.On balance I would say more minuses than pluses.

Lon More
7th Feb 2009, 10:16
mandatory to have snow rated tyres in the winter months in GermanyOnly in certain areas IIRC

Surprising how many 4x4s got stuck in the snow round here
Owning one doesn't mean you can drive it.

Best solution; Landy with a Cuthbertson (from Biggar, birthplace of Albion) conversion
http://www.landyzone.co.uk/photopost/data/504/medium/CUTHBERTSON_082.jpg

or a Centaur
http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/images/centaur1.jpg

A home-made (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OznC9-Kflo8&feature=related) version

A more modern version, Mattracks, built for Ralf Fiennes (sp?), cancelled when BMW took them over
http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/images/snowtracklr.jpg

ShyTorque
7th Feb 2009, 10:19
I agree about the lightweight cars doing well in the slippery stuff. Sometimes it's surprising how far unlikely sounding cars can get. I learned in the Peak district when we used to get proper winters, such as here in December 1978 (I wasn't stuck, just out playing):

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/Spitfireinthesnow.jpg

I take part in the occasional Classic trial. We aren't allowed to use off-road, winter, or mud and snow tyres because these tyres are seen as an unfair advantage. Nor are we allowed to use limited slip or locking diffs - during scrutineering the cars go on a roller assembly to confirm that one driving wheel will spin.

The car classes are graded by number with regard to their ability. Class 1 (least likely to succeed) are front wheel drive cars. The numbers get bigger with increasing climbing ability. Class 7 is front engined, rear wheel drive cars and the highest is Class 8, the unlimited class for specials, such as Beetle engined cars.

One chap runs a rear engined Reliant 3 wheeler - it has a Mini 1275 engine and subframe in the back - it's almost unstoppable.

Miserlou
7th Feb 2009, 13:25
In my experience the Scandinavians are no better than the Brits when the snow comes.

They still get caught out and having had a session on the skid pan when getting their licence think that they know how to handle it in real life. I think they would be better off if they just got enough training to scare them. Otherwise, regular proficiency training.

My wife was hassling me to get winter tyres on the family car which she uses most of the time. I told her that it only makes a difference in a very few, very marginal circumstances especially considering that we don't live out in the sticks and don't get much snow anyway.

When I did get new tyres I went for a set of Nokians which are actually winter tyres but reviewed in Canada as being fine all year round if you're lazy. I'm not lazy but there is not enough benefit to justify the cost and hassle.

RatherBeFlying
7th Feb 2009, 14:17
One heavy snow day, I remember driving up to the airport in the Subaru and every few interchanges would see a 4x4 / SUV on its roof:ouch: The Subaru was perfectly happy, but I eventually decided it was smarter to turn around and head back.

rotornut
7th Feb 2009, 20:50
And what car did the snowplow driver use to get to the snowplow?

Aside from that car in the famous Volkswagen commercial this is what this snowplow driver used: a 1986 Toyota Tercel with Michelin P155/80 R 13 XA4 tires.
I worked at the local airport in Toronto (YTZ) and for the City of Toronto driving plows and snowblowers about 20 years ago and the little Tercel always got through in snow up to about 12". Because of its narrow, high profile tires - all season, not snow -and low torque it motored beautifully through fairly deep snow. Over 12" inches of snow and the front end, with fairly low ground clearance, tended to ride over the snow and you got stuck. However, with a bit of digging you could always get the little Tercel out.

Loose rivets
7th Feb 2009, 21:09
In 1958 I had a MKII Zephyr with Firestone Town & Country tires on the back. They were incredible, but I've not seen or heard of them since.

Hah! Googoil shows that they've become somewhat iconic.

G-CPTN
7th Feb 2009, 22:45
That's what my Father (and myself) used on our cars way back then too.
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/2/4/0/2/9/webimg/190087077_tp.jpghttp://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/8/7/8/8/5/webimg/213968009_tp.jpg

Paradise Lost
7th Feb 2009, 23:19
Lon More, I'm quite happy just drifting about in the snow, but I am constantly wowed by your awesome picture library! There hasn't been a thread in years that you have not been able to illustrate magnificently! Thank you.
P.S. G-CPTN, you come second......thank you too!

G-CPTN
7th Feb 2009, 23:21
Seems the Cousins made extravagant claims for these 'tires':-
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/10/21/870d_1.JPG
I wonder if they had to pay out?

Loose rivets
8th Feb 2009, 03:42
Oh my goodness me! A 1959 Country Sedan! Searching for pics.

Here they are. Sorry - this is a trip down memory lane again.

Mate and his dad had success in starting a caravan camp in Walton on Naze. It was called the Martello after the tower in the grounds. There might be more than a few Ppruners who lived in the East End and had holidays there as kids.

As I've mentioned, his was the first house I went in that had carpets that reached the walls. :}

Said mate also had a dance band and needed a big transport vehicle. They shipped the cars over with RHD. This is just starting again, now that the Americans can't let any market slip away.

Three rows of seats and the drum kit. Happy days!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/59CountrySedan.jpg

This neg must have been scanned wrong way round. Wheel was on the right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Robinonleft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/RobGscars-1.jpg

I'll give him a call tomorrow and let him know his cars are on Pprune.

s'funny. When I was 19 all I wanted was cars like this. Here they are two a penny, and all I want is a DB5.:hmm:

vapilot2004
8th Feb 2009, 06:19
I've seen more of this type stuck along the roadsides or worse in bad weather than any other. I think it's combination of poor vehicle stability and over-confident drivers. The things may be able to accelerate better than many 2WD cars in the snow, but stopping and steering performance is lacking.

Try a nice Audi AWD sedan for the best of both worlds.

Zeppelin
8th Feb 2009, 07:29
Good tip this, if you do get stuck, to avoid getting a parking ticket - leave your windscreen wipers on :p

west lakes
8th Feb 2009, 10:34
A lot of them I see don't actually have decent tyres on anyway. You can have as much drive as you want but if the tyres are not up to it you are no better off.

Flap Sup
8th Feb 2009, 13:12
I used to live north of the polar circle, first in Norway, since in Sweden. I never had a 4x4 and i never got stuck, decent narrow winter tyres always did the job.

Now back in the south (well, compared to N swe at least) I thought to myself "I dont need winter tyres for the Golf this season". Guess who didnt make it out of the driveway...

There's too many people in the UK, mate, who have no idea which way their front wheels are headed - yes - just look at all the people in the UK who drive in the wrong side of the road :}

Lon More
8th Feb 2009, 14:11
Paradise Lost:O:O It's not so much a large library but an enquiring mind.

I remember those Town and Country tyres. Worst thing about them was the road noise after the snow had gone.

Davaar
8th Feb 2009, 16:06
I think the benefit of the 4x4 is that it is far larger than everything else, so mum 'n kids are less likely to get hurt than the one they hit.

Yes. Saw a TV discussion on vehicle safety. The debate was all on crumple zones, progressive collapse, the chassis as a good thing or not, and the like. One chap, silent, was a senior executive in GM.

Says the moderator to him: "And which vehicle would you recommend for safety in a collision?"

Reply: "The cement truck".

What more need be said?

mad_jock
8th Feb 2009, 16:45
The cement truck only works when you are in the minority driving them. As soon as anyone everyone else starts driving them your into the same situation as before.

If you have seen a lorry versus car accident there is usually cosmetic damage to the lorry and the car is squashed beer can. A lorry versus lorry and your into a different league of bent metal.

I was trying to think which have been the best for driving in snow and mud. I think I will have to go for the old Mil series 3 petrol air portable short base landy. On the lorry side of things it was the old bedford 4 tonner MJ with a winch fitted. In the rare event you did get stuck you could always pull youself out the way you went in.

Sailor Vee
8th Feb 2009, 16:48
Davaar, yet again, priceless!

('though I would prefer a Centurion!)

Loose rivets
8th Feb 2009, 18:09
The darndest thing was when they ( the Hamster broadcasting? not sure) drove a Smart car into a solid lump of concrete. I think the idea was to hit only one side of the car, or maybe the dummy wasn't a good driver, but anyway, to everyone's astonishment, the 'cage' stood up to the horrendous impact better than anyone dreamed.

Blues&twos
8th Feb 2009, 20:08
I think you mean this programme Loose rivets... well worth watching. If you want to skip all the waffle, start watching at about 2:10.

YouTube - smart car crash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s)

gupta
9th Feb 2009, 00:53
The problem with 4x4 is that, when you do finally get bogged (and you will), you are in deeper and further away from help. Been there, done that.

Effluent Man
9th Feb 2009, 08:47
An old colleague of mine years ago touched on the subject.He used to sell sad,clapped out old nags that regularly had difficulty starting.Being at the top of an incline it was tempting to try to push start them.

His wise saying was "Man who pushes car ends up with car that wont go,miles from anywhere".

CargoMatatu
9th Feb 2009, 09:58
Winter tyres, People. Winter tyres :ok:

Cheerio
9th Feb 2009, 12:20
The darndest thing was when they ( the Hamster broadcasting? not sure) drove a Smart car into a solid lump of concrete. I think the idea was to hit only one side of the car, or maybe the dummy wasn't a good driver, but anyway, to everyone's astonishment, the 'cage' stood up to the horrendous impact better than anyone dreamed.

I'll tell you what though, driving a Smart in the snow is both infuriating and intense. Infuriating in that it has the most intrusive stability management known to man, tweaking individual brake calipers here and there, but also killing the throttle stone dead if it thinks you are getting a bit ambitious.

Intense, in that it bloody well needs it. Even with the electronic nanny on board, what with the short wheelbase, and sitting over the back wheels, in the snow it brings new meaning to the word twitchy. You drive down to the shops for a pint of milk in the snow, and you end up looking like Marcus Gronholm - hunched over the wheel, eyes out on stalks, a clammy look of fear / surprise etched on your face, twitching the wheel incessantly as the front and rear battle for who goes first. Fun for 10 minutes, but it must be hell to keep that up on a motorway.

hellsbrink
9th Feb 2009, 14:05
Ford Cortina, snow, hill, sideways and slide up it.

Worked perfectly, and then police came the other way. Told them not to go down hill because they would never stop, and they laughed. Not as much as I did when they couldn't and took out someone's garden wall...

I grew up with snow every winter, has never been an issue to me

Effluent Man
9th Feb 2009, 14:30
I remember the original Cortina launch in 1962.Jim Clark driving one down a bobsleigh run. Cortina D'Ampezzo in Italy I think.

rotornut
9th Feb 2009, 21:25
Stuck? Get a Sicard snowblower!
This is a picture of a blower similar to the one I drove at a local airport:
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/robert_lafreniere/2008/11-23/quebec---mai-2008-316.jpg
With 300 hp driving the augers it moved a lot of snow.
Did I ever get stuck? Once, but I managed to get it out by rocking back and forth a few times.

Widger
9th Feb 2009, 22:21
Winter tyres are not the answer in the UK. Through life costs versus, utilty would be huge. You only need them for a maximum of about 5 days a year. But every 18000 ish miles you will need to change them. The answer is snow chains. For £50 odd quid you can get a cheap set that you can keep in your boot and get them out and put them on your summer tyres when you need them. I have some and I have felt very smug these last two weeks!

Lon More
9th Feb 2009, 23:33
Plenty of choice in snowblowers ....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/812104193_ceb7130de9.jpg?v=1184467358

More suited for home use
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_feb2001/SnowblowerRegular.jpg

Ancient Mariner
10th Feb 2009, 08:13
I've been driving on the white stuff for 38 years, and I love it.
My experience is:
Bad: Rear wheel drive, summer tires
Better: Front wheel drive, all season tires (compromised, rubbish in winter, rubbish in summer, loved by Yanks)
Better yet: Real winter tires for snow, studded winter tire for slush and ice, friction tires a very good compromise which I've used on my cars for the last 13 years. keeps on getting better.
Quite good: Pseudo 4x4s, all those front wheel drives where the rear wheels may or may not kick in.
Best: Real 4x4 with permanent four wheel drive.

Then there are all sorts of bandaids like traction control, stability control and fancy system from Range Rover/Disco/Merc/BWM/Audi et all that lets those who doesn't appreciate the finer points of drifting choose settings like: Tarmac, Snow, Sand and whatnot.

Me, I drive a Nissan Navara fitted with 265/70/17 winter tires, low gear and rear diff lock and my wife a Suzuki Grand Vitara, 225/65/16 friction tires, low gear and lock. I normally earn at least one bottle of red wine per weekend towing some stuck car up the hills surrounding my cabin.

There's no comparing 2x4 to 4x4 in harsh driving conditions, those above who does have no clue whatsoever.

However, in the end the person behind the wheel is key. I've no idea how many kms I have on snow and ice, but I've yet to get stuck, leave the road or hit anything more solid than a snowdrift and I've been driving everything from a '57 Hillman Minx to a modern 4x4.

Tip. Clean your wheels. Driving on tarmac makes the rubber very slippery from bitumen residues, diesel spills and salt. Keep a spray can of Wheel Cleaner, or any solvent for that matter, in the car and give the rubber a good clean before you enter the slippery stuff. The difference is amazing. Also remember, in my opinion, winter tires older than 3 years are rubbish regardess of amount of thread left. Rubber hardens as it is heated, cooled, heated and hardened rubber is useless on snow and ice.

Have fun on the slippery stuff!
Per

Cheerio
10th Feb 2009, 12:38
Does anyone know anything about this (http://www.autosock.co.uk)? Its a thing called Autosock. Sort of like a fabric snowchain.

IFTB
10th Feb 2009, 14:26
Mr Cheerio
Does anyone know anything about this?
Yes and no.
It's being sold at reputable shops here but I have never seen it used on the roads. (although I live in a snowy area, upon the mountains)
Somewhere in this forum someone commented on these "snowchains" I must search for it..............

Checkboard
10th Feb 2009, 14:59
I bought a set of those when I drove my merc. to Germany for some skiing a bit over a year ago. (I bought some chains from a website, and added these for the hell of it, and they were cheap.) It snowed, and I used them. They were OK, but not as good as chains.

Cheerio
10th Feb 2009, 15:04
Thanks for that. For 50 quid, I'd be tempted to to pass over the fact they look slightly less cool than a set of Hakkas on Minilites...... :ok:

Skypilot
10th Feb 2009, 15:37
One of the worst rides I ever had was in a Reliant Regal after a snow fall - both back wheels were in the ruts in the ice that the other traffic had made, but the front one was all over the place!

Scumbag O'Riley
10th Feb 2009, 16:07
Those AutoSocks look like they would just gum up in any serious snow and become useless.

Best snow car I've ever owned is a Subaru Legacy AWD. Would pass these fancy 4WD SUV's that were stuck or in the ditch. Only thing that would stop a Subee was serious ice or if the snow got too deep that the front bumper would start to detatch as you drove through it.

Real chains are also good but a real pain to put on if you come across a blizzard. Always nice to have chain monkeys waiting by the side of the road, except their prices are quite flexible and tend to be flexible on the upside when it's nasty outside your lovely heated car.

Most dangerous thing on a snowy road is anything with Texas plates on it.

cockney steve
10th Feb 2009, 20:02
In the late 70's in UK, there were 4-legged devices available, the end of each leg was bent to "roughly" the widthwise curve of the tyre and the edges if this strip (about 2" wide steel strip) were corrugated. the balance of each strip was passed across the front of the wheel and went through a "hub" unit,the whole device being tensioned with a big "clock-spring"

To use it, the 4 legs were spread sufficiently to slip over the wheel, Winding the spring, pulled the legs in to grip the tyrethe spring was latched and off you drove. the 4 bars were sufficient, as one left the surface the next one was approaching....bumpy ride and limited to short bursts up to about 30 mph. time to fit or remove 2 , was less than 5 minutes.

A customer with a Merc 350SE had a set, lived at the bottom of a hill in a cul de sac and NEVER got stuck (the days when we had proper winters!) IIRC, they were about £60 a pair, back then.

I had great fun throwing my Rover 100 about, among other vehicles that passed through as a garageman.

A friend keeps a set of studded tyres/rims for his landrover....some studs have rusted so badly, through disuse, they've fallen out of their holes!.

Ancient Mariner
11th Feb 2009, 06:35
cockney steve,
ah yes, the Knipetak, good old Norwegian invention that was. Don't know if you can buy them anymore, believe they are replaced by modern and easy to fit snow chains and the Snowsock.
"Knipetak" - gripeklør for biler - Norsk Designråd (http://www.norskdesign.no/industridesign/knipetak-gripekloer-for-biler-article1691-364.html)
Per

simon brown
11th Feb 2009, 12:45
..."Try a nice Audi AWD sedan for the best of both worlds"

Not necessarily, the 245s on my A4 quattro make it garbage in the snow.....a £200 set of secondhand cheap alloys and thinner tyres and boy what an improvement!

cockney steve
11th Feb 2009, 13:14
Hi, Per! YES! that's the very item, I'd forgotten they folded as well. The owner subsequently drove a Citroen CX (my influence again! )and used them on that as well.

A terrific device, far quicker and cleaner than snowchains and no loose ends to flail about and self-tensioning as well, once clamped on.

Anyone remember the "spray-on snowchain" that was all the rage a few years ago?......although it was supposedly a "get you out of a hole" fixand wore off rapidly,it seemed a good idea.

Parapunter
11th Feb 2009, 13:48
I recall getting stuck (along with about 300 other vehicles) halfway between Bourg St Maurice & Tignes in a Blizzard becuase a Savoyarde hunchback decided to stop in the middle of the road instead of the provided layby to put chains on his 2cv.

Bloody French.

Lon More
11th Feb 2009, 14:14
Ancient Mariner The Swiss Spikes-Spider (http://www.spikes-spider.ch/web05/html/ewillkommen.html) looks like a more modern version of that

Effluent Man
11th Feb 2009, 15:07
Bloody hunchbacks...Oh sorry not PC.

ShyTorque
11th Feb 2009, 19:50
I learned to drive in a Singer Chamois (Hillman Imp with walnut door cappings and dashboard). In the snow it was already good due to the RWD, rear engine layout. When the snow got really deep we used to thread a half inch thick nylon rope round and round the rear tyres, through the holes in the steel wheels, a bit like snow chains but quieter. It used to plough through just about any snow drift like that.

Fatboy Ginge
11th Feb 2009, 21:36
Well I've laughed my self silly over the last week watching all the people in their 4x4's slithering about whilst I've been trotting about in my little front 2wd corsa.

To get to the main road through the village I live in I need to go up a short incline that gets a bit steeper up to the top. This was iced over with hard packed snow and some frozen slush... Me I rolled up to the top in 2nd gear and with a quick glance left and right kept my momentum up to get out.

Muggins in his shogun behind rolled to the top... STOPPED and then tried to get going again and wondered why he spun all 4 wheels and didn't go anywhere. After he saw me laughing at him he challenged me to get his car out for him as there was no way I was going to if he couldn't.

I got in, rolled back 20 yards, put the diff lock on and selected 4L, lifted the clutch (luckily it was a manual) and let the engine get on with it... up and over in one movement.

I also got really annoyed a week ago Monday when the bus drivers in London decided that things were a little bit too slippery to get their buses out... FFS they're supposed to be Professional Drivers. I managed to get a 26 Tonne 6x2 DAF 75 310 from Banbury to London and all I suffered from was a little bit of wheel spin primarliy due to the godawful auto box on them.

Ancient Mariner
12th Feb 2009, 13:40
Lon More, those Spike-Spyders look really interesting. I haven't seen them in shops around here, but I've seen a few Dutch cars with some funny contraptions attached to their wheels clawing their way up the mountain side. Never been able to roll my eyes fast enought to recognise the thingies in question, but would not be surprised if they were S-Spyders. Might look for them if wifey decides on a 2x4 when she trades ih her Grand Viagra.
Per

Checkboard
15th Feb 2009, 09:09
I have low profile tyres in my Mercedes, which normally can't take chains (there is a clearance issue), so I bought a set of these:

Home.Catalogo prodotti.Neve.Catene da neve Trak.Trak Sport.Gallery (http://www.maggigroup.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Valxer.woa/wa/page?lan=eng&id=1123876&idHP=1014297&path=Home.Catalogo+prodotti.Neve.Catene+da+neve+Trak.Trak+Sp ort)

http://www.maggigroup.com/Valxer/1014297/snow-traksport-300.jpg

They clamp onto the wheel nut, and the leaf springs hold the chains onto the tyre. Very easy to fit, as you don't have to fit the chain all the way around the tyre - you just drape it over the top, attach the springs to the wheel nuts, and apply a little tension, then just drive off. The springs force the bit of chain that was at the bottom of the tyre onto the wheel within a couple of rotations as you drive. :ok:

Checkboard
27th Nov 2010, 13:15
Winter again :rolleyes: Although, from the news channels you would think it had never happened before :hmm:

Back to the top for this thread, then. :ok:

RedhillPhil
27th Nov 2010, 16:10
It's all very well for drivers of all wheel drive vehicles to sound snooty but there's just as many of 'em around here that finish up being stuck in a ditch due to a combination of the driver thinking that all wheel dive will always work, no experience of snow and road tyres being fitted.
A pair of winter tyres (Goodyears) fitted on the front (drive) wheels of my SaaB 900 ( a "proper" one, none of this G.M. rubbish) saw me safely negotiating roads that others had given up on last winter.

Captain Stable
27th Nov 2010, 16:30
Aaah Phil - I miss my old 900.

Put studs on the tyres and it would go up a ladder...

Loose rivets
27th Nov 2010, 16:36
This thing about reversing up a hill with rear wheel drive, puzzles me. The sales-pitch for front wheel drive - well, one of them - is that the ugly sideways mass of engine and transmission, is helping the grip with its weight.

Pontius Navigator
27th Nov 2010, 17:44
RedHillPhil, exactly what I said on the other thread.

Started in a 99 with chains. Used to drive up to the top of the mountain - car park empty except for a 4x4 land rover and 10 inches of light powder. Drive in, stop anywhere.

Meanwhile on the edge of the road cars were parked and others skidding in to them as they were scared to drive in deep snow!

Later, in UK, about 1988, we had 15 inches or more. Drove to work no problem. Got to work but could not park as the pillocks had ploughed the roads and blocked the car parks :) Drove home - 4 days off.

PingDit
28th Nov 2010, 15:04
I've been getting rather hacked off in recent years when I've had to abandon my mercedes on snow-covered Cornish hills. I pick up my Honda CR-V tomorrow. It got an auto box, is permanent FWD but the rear axle kicks in when any slip on the front wheels occurs (apparently). Anyone have any experience of these in snow?

Tankertrashnav
28th Nov 2010, 18:35
car park empty except for a 4x4 Trabant

Anyone got a picture of one of those 4WD Trabbies? ;)

Yeah I know that PN meant a well known British 4 x 4 much favoured by the military and farmers (and my son) but this funny PPrune glitch just wont go away. Wonder if the programmer responsible for it was a Trabant fan?

hellsbrink
29th Nov 2010, 17:17
Anyone got a picture of one of those 4WD Trabbies? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

http://media1.trabaru.717.cz/images/media1:4c78d249cf23b.jpg/IMG_3196.jpg

forum- novinky - (http://trabaru.717.cz/)

A Trab crossed with a Subaru.

Happy now?