PDA

View Full Version : Salary at QANTAS - Engineer position

frogfriday
6th Feb 2009, 18:05
I'm thinking of applying for a (degree) engineer position at QANTAS :}, but they're being fairly coy on what they are offering in the way of remuneration.

Would anyone have any idea of a ballpark figure? Or any idea of the general 'package' that might be offered?

I've got ca. 10 years relevant experience, but all of it is overseas.

PMs, emails or posts very much appreciated! (I'm assuming I've still got PMs etc activated...).

djpil
6th Feb 2009, 19:32
Best source of data is the APESMA salary survey - worthwhile buying for you. (http://www.apesma.asn.au/surveys/engineers/index.asp)

framer
6th Feb 2009, 23:23
There are two main pay scales;
Scale 1 for bonafide LAMES is circa $120k first year
Scale 2 for pretend ones, is less (for obvious reasons) at $115k.

frogfriday
9th Feb 2009, 07:02
Thanks guys.

I'll look into getting a copy of the survey.

Framer, are you meaning that a 'professional' engineer would earn less at QANTAS than a LAME? Or are you meaning that an AME would earn less than a LAME...

I'm comfortable enough with being a pretend engineer :{, but just wanting to check your meaning.

Cheers

framer
9th Feb 2009, 08:35
sorry frog,
it was an attempt at humour. There have recently been two separate guys caught impersonating LAMEs at Qantas. They were oversigning maintenance. As a result CASA is requiring Qantas to double check all the quals of it's engineers. Hence the "pretend LAME's" call.
I thought it would be obvious. Hope I didn't lead you astray mate.
Framer.

woollcott
9th Feb 2009, 11:40
If you are Car 35, then it is well worth it - expect around 100k........however! the number of car 35 engineers they employ is very limited, so your chances are poor.
If you are employed as an engineer, it will depend on what level you can negotiate....anywhere from 40k to 75k
Other things to consider is some travel and possibly being on call at weekends.

frogfriday
9th Feb 2009, 19:49
:oh: Sorry, Framer! No leading astray. All work and no play has made me a very dull Frog. Qantas can't take a trick at the moment, can they?

Woollcott, do they actually get 'experienced' engineering types to work for the $40-$75k range?? There's a company advertising that range for flight attendants on one of the job sites at the moment... plus allowances.

Might have to look at changing industries :E (yeah, right).

I don't have a CAR 35 delegation, although I did have a basic EASA design instrument. Gave it up a year ago as I wasn't using it anymore. meh.

djpil
9th Feb 2009, 21:23
Also relevant is the Qantas Professional Engineers award at Australian Industrial Relations Commission website (http://www.airc.gov.au/).
I just had a quick look and found a '99 version. These days a fresh graduate should get around $50K.