PDA

View Full Version : Premiership Relegation Points

er340790
6th Feb 2009, 14:34
Yes, the time of year is fast approaching when one's weekend is made or broken by 4.45PM UK time.

Does anyone have the number of points each season that ensured survival in the Premiership??? I heard that per the form book 34 points used to be sufficient to stay up, although West Ham once went down on 42(?)

No clues as to who I follow.... suffice to say that I'm already worried. :{

Parapunter
6th Feb 2009, 15:04
Forty one seems to get bandied around by the managers a great deal. As a Spurs fan, I'd be pleased to see us get over 25:{

Effluent Man
6th Feb 2009, 15:14
Over the past 10 seasons the highest number of points of a relegated team was 2002/3 (42). Of the other 9 seasons 34 would have ensured survival in three,35 in another two and 37 would have been enough in all the rest except 2006/7 when 39 were required. This season an unusual number of teams are involved in both the Premiership and the Championship relegation fight and it sems likely that one result may decide it at the end.

The Real Slim Shady
6th Feb 2009, 15:20
You should worry: some of us follow teams from League 2!

Survival is Saturday to Saturday.

eticket
6th Feb 2009, 16:13
Mine was 6 points away from being a founder member of the Premiership.

They're in the Conference now. One can only dream of League status.:{

Survival is having enough money to get through the close season.

Krystal n chips
6th Feb 2009, 17:21
Yes, the time of year is fast approaching when one's weekend is made or broken by 4.45PM UK time.

If one's weekend is wholly dependent on the above, one is either very sad, has no social outlets, mentally disturbed, has limited intellectual capacity.....or can be summated as a football fan.....the preceding criteria being wholly applicable to the species. :E

As one is most certainly not the above, one realises the observation may upset the sensitive souls who are..........thus4.45pm has no relevance at all. :D:E

Overdrive
6th Feb 2009, 17:24
Mine was 6 points away from being a founder member of the Premiership.

To save me looking eticket... which team is that?

eticket
6th Feb 2009, 18:59
To save me looking eticket... which team is that? DIVISION TWO 1991/92

1 Ipswich Town 84pts
2 Middlesbrough 80
----------------------
3 Derby County 78
4 Leicester City 77
5 Cambridge United 74
6 Blackburn Rovers 74Cambridge lost to Leicester in the Play-offs.
If they had been promoted they would have gone from Division 4 to the Premiership in consecutive seasons.
(Div4 89/90, Div3 90/91, Div2 91/92, Prem 92/93.)

Now they are in Division 5.:(

The Real Slim Shady
6th Feb 2009, 19:05
Not everyone is a Premier League supporter.

I admit to Lincoln City: crap but I keep going back.

Effluent Man
7th Feb 2009, 09:55
I think most people have "other teams". My first has always been Norwich City but my second is Carlisle United.I don't know why and it predates the remarkable piece of football history when their goalkeeper scored in injury time to keep them in the football league. See "Jimmy Glass".

Wholigan
7th Feb 2009, 10:02
I think most people have "other teams".

Long ago I decided to make that part easy for myself by supporting "anybody except Chelsea or Man Utd" --- unless they are playing each other when I support Man Utd!!!

;)

Invicta DC4
7th Feb 2009, 10:23
Crystal Palace were relegated in 1995 with 45 points. However, the premier league consisted of 22 teams and that season, 4 teams were relegated to cut the size of the premier league to it's current 20 teams.

Effluent Man
7th Feb 2009, 10:47
Of course that meant playing 42 games instead of 38. In theory a team could still be relegated with 45 points. Last season Leicester City were relegated from The Championship with 52 points,an average of 1.13 per game and six other teams had 55 or less.This has made it a very exciting league this year. Norwich are in the bottom six but we have scored 8 goals against Wolves who are top in our two fixtures.Contrast this with the Premiership where the equivalent would be Middlesboro scoring 8 against Man U.

Parapunter
7th Feb 2009, 11:23
Norwich are in the bottom six

Poor old Roeder. Not only does he look like a hamster, but he's been a serial failure wherever he's gone.

Effluent Man
7th Feb 2009, 11:26
The word on Roeder was "arrogance".He evidently set out to be a new broom and swept too clean.They will never forgive him for ditching Huckerby.The atmosphere around the club changed completely when he walked out of the door.

Overdrive
7th Feb 2009, 21:07
Cambridge lost to Leicester in the Play-offs...

Thanks. I couldn't recall, but now I remember their little golden period back then.

Richard Taylor
8th Feb 2009, 09:26
How comes a team managed by one of the legendary Arsenal back line of the 90s (Adams) can't defend to save their lives!

Looks bad for Portsmouth - bunch of donkeys...;)

Proof again a good footballer doesn't always a good manager make.