View Full Version : Blackpool Airport runway upgrade

TheHeff
6th Feb 2009, 12:44
Blackpool International (BLK) is about to have some re-surfacing done to the runway. The announcement claims longer range destinations to the eastern and southern Med will be possible. Runway 28 is 6000ft and I was wondering how extra range would be achieved. I'm guessing greater MTOW, but wouldn't that require a longer take-off distance?

I'm confused because Jet2 and Thomson have operated flights to Tenerife, a flight of 3.5 hrs - So what's the difference?

Ironside0
6th Feb 2009, 18:07
BLK is indeed having its 'funfair ride' runway attended to -not before time ,but it will still be the same length so either the press release is being written with a bit of journalistic licence or they seem to think that without all the potholes a/c may be able to fly longer distances :}
As you say Jet2 & TOM have flown 757's to TFS (and Jet2 still fly 737's)
but the flight time is 4.35 hrs ,this distance just over 2000 miles iirc should be enough to get you to many destinations furter east?
Not knocking it i use BLK as often as i can -!

Dave

commit aviation
6th Feb 2009, 19:25
I suspect (but don't know) that it may be something to do with runway PCN. That is the runway load bearing capacity.
I seem to recall that the condition of the runway has resulted in a lower than ideal PCN, particularly for 757s. Improved surface should improve the runway strength.

TheHeff
6th Feb 2009, 20:58
Thanks people.
:)Dave; I agree with the journolistic licence theory. I can understand a new surface being good for bouncing "heavyweights" on landing, but take-off is still a mystery. Like you, I'm not knocking BKL; I've flown over the "ton" from the resort (Especially when Ryan did Stansted). The potholes were quite fun.

commit aviation:
:ok:I bow to your superior knowledge. Thanx muchly! Let's hope you're on the button.

Incidently, I have done Girona, Spain from BKL, and used pretty much ALL the runway, while sat on a 737-800. Travelling to Turkey (or similar), may be a trial???? :bored: