PDA

View Full Version : RAAF and QANTAS snub veterans

sisemen
6th Feb 2009, 06:49
This taken from the Forces Reunited site:

Aussie Vets Snubbed by RAAF & Qantas
WWII RAAF veterans have been snubbed by their Air Force, Government and Qantas as they battle to get to Britain for a commemoration. The old airmen have been invited by the RAF to the dedication ceremony of 11 Australian squadron badges at the RAF Church, St Clement Danes on The Strand, near Australia House, on March 26.

The church's floor is covered with tiles featuring badges of all allied squadrons that served during World War II. For many years there have been 11 blank spaces where the 5 RAAF fighter and 6 bomber squadron badges will soon take pride of place. The veterans will be unable to witness the historic event because the Federal Government and Qantas, which has employed RAAF pilots throughout its history, have refused to help about 20 veterans.

The Veterans Affairs Department told Spitfire Association president Lysle Roberts that it would take a year to make a decision. Qantas wrote to the ex-Spitfire pilot offering a terse thanks but no thanks. And Mr Roberts, who enlisted with 457 Squadron as an 18-year-old in 1943, said the RAAF hierarchy had been as "weak as water" for not standing up for veterans. "I am not surprised by this, I am bloody well shocked," the angry veteran said yesterday. "They have money to take school kids to Gallipoli but can't help us at all."

Ninety-one-year-old Spitfire ace Ted Sly DFC, MID, was even more blunt, describing the lack of help as an "absolute disgrace". "It is a slap in the face to the wonderful youth of Australia who paid the ultimate sacrifice," he said. A letter to Mr Roberts from the RAAF adviser at Australian House in London, Group Captain Pete Norford, says he would be "greatly honoured" to host members at this "very special event". All the offer includes is a cup of tea, cucumber sandwiches and advice on where to find a cheap hotel room and a bargain breakfast.

Veterans Affairs Minister Alan Griffin said he had just received an application for funding for the event. He said, historically, the Government had not funded such events.

Bloody disgraceful. Shame on the Australian government, the Defence Force and QANTAS for not sorting this one out pronto.

dakkg651
6th Feb 2009, 07:42
Agreed that it's a disgraceful situation.

How about BA bringing them over? After all, it was this country they were defending.

nickyjsmith
6th Feb 2009, 07:50
What about the Governments, airforce's and natonal airlines of both countries sponsoring them ?

Cost would be shared and gratitude of all parties would be shown. Simple.

Also, what about the British Legion ? Is there an Aus equivalent ?

Come on, it's not that hard.

These people deserve this.

pigsinspace
6th Feb 2009, 07:51
QANTAS and BA are commercial carriers...why should they cover the cost when the veterans were invited by the RAF..

I served 30 years in the RAF and I dont think any company owes me anything for my service.

Why do some people think that just because they are a veteran or old they deserve a favour..

Yes I am ready to be shot down but it gets on my nerves sometimes that people think they are owed.

I am not saying no one is grateful for service rendered but its not the responsibility of commercial companies to carry the burden.

For my 30 years in the RAF there were very very few who even offered a discount to buy a pair of shoes, let alone being flown across the world for free or a vastly reduced cost.....and I am sure a 90 year old would not want cattle class.

dakkg651
6th Feb 2009, 08:03
Pigsinspace.

Did you join the service to travel halfway around the world to partake in a guaranteed full blown shooting war?

No I thought not.

These people did this knowing that their chance of survival was not that great.

I for one will always be grateful to them and their comrades who didn't get to go back.

Squirrel 41
6th Feb 2009, 08:36
Have sent a link to this to Virgin - they fly to Oz, and Sir Richard is noted for his support of worthy and high profile events.

Let's see what they do- these guys certainly need to be here.

If not, how about a PPrune whipround - I'm in for £20.

S41

forget
6th Feb 2009, 08:36
Panic not - just yet. 25th Anniversary of Virgin and let's assume Richard Branson doesn't yet know about this. PR Value - Priceless!

Then they'll need accommodation - any 5 Star hoteliers out there?

nickyjsmith
6th Feb 2009, 11:16
Now were getting some where!! The benefits of sponsoring this for who ever (government or commercial) are massive.

Logistics Loader
6th Feb 2009, 15:02
Amazing how they sent Ozzie Air Force 1 to secret Oxon Airbase early 80's to pick up a known criminal who was airlifted from Wormwood Scrubs by the Met...!!
Chopper landed on pan next to OAF1 and left PDQ...

Yet good veterans are left to rot !!

Shocking state of affairs !!

Gundog01
6th Feb 2009, 22:35
Amazing the Oz government will fork out $500,000 to fly convicted terroriet David Hicks from Gitmo to Adelaide but won't fork out for our own war vets make yet another mark on history.

BullSh*t.

Old Fella
7th Feb 2009, 00:14
There is a very simple solution to all this. The reality is that these WWII veterans have been invited by the RAF to attend the dedication ceremony in the UK. These veterans served in defence of the UK, so if anyone should be supporting their attendance it is the government of the UK. The wheels of government turn very slowly here in Oz and, unless there is some political gain, often don't turn at all. It is probably the same in the UK. If their expenses cannot be met by the UK government it is a pretty sure bet that the airlines would be reluctant to come to the party. Surely, both the UK Government and the Australian Government should get together and sort this lot out quickly. These veterans don't have a lot of time!

Pera
7th Feb 2009, 00:25
The title of this thread is bizarre. What has this got to do with Qantas or the RAAF?

If anything is to be done the federal govt. will be the ones responsible.

Would it be cheaper to put them all on a BBJ or fly them commercial. They are requesting business class. The figure I heard was 250K.

I don't like their chances but these are the sort of things we should be spending money on. Honouring our veterans and caring for our aged.

mephisto88
7th Feb 2009, 00:51
These gentlemen will forever have my respect for what they volunteered for.
Collectively, they and their colleagues, may well be the reason why we dont have to contribute to this forum in German or Japanese.

As far as Qantas goes, it is possible that as many flights are proceeding to and from Europe with plenty of space, it would not cost in real terms any more than a little extra fuel burn and some in flight catering. So come on Skippy, how about it?

As for both the RAAF and RAF, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a flight to/from Aus could be arranged under the guise of a training flight. I know resources are a little stretched, but come on - remember what these guys did! The silence from respective governments is nothing short of shameful.

Perhaps Sir Richard may be the best option, never one to miss a little publicity, but he also has a propensity for doing 'the right thing'.

If all else fails, put me down for a hundred bucks.

TheWizard
7th Feb 2009, 11:40
Anyone got Jeremy Clarkson's email address? It seems everyone is listening to him 'down under' at the moment. He is a champion of the Armed Forces is he not??

Fantome
7th Feb 2009, 11:58
Ninety-one-year-old Spitfire ace Ted Sly DFC, MID, was even more blunt, describing the lack of help as an "absolute disgrace". "It is a slap in the face to the wonderful youth of Australia who paid the ultimate sacrifice," he said. A letter to Mr Roberts from the RAAF adviser at Australian House in London, Group Captain Pete Norford, says he would be "greatly honoured" to host members at this "very special event". All the offer includes is a cup of tea, cucumber sandwiches and advice on where to find a cheap hotel room and a bargain breakfast

Ted Sly's book 'Luck of the Draw'
http://www.spitfirebooks.com.au/ (http://http://www.spitfirebooks.com.au/) gives many insights into what these blokes did for king and country. Incidentally Ted was a lifelong cobber of Neville Duke, who features in the book.

Ken Taylor
9th Feb 2009, 00:48
I am not overly surprised at the reply from the Australian Government or QANTAS. The threat has passed and the country is safe. Why worry about the repocusions from a few disgruntled Veterans. I have seen the same thing happen many times being connected with the Veteran Organisations here in Australia. WE had a New Zealand Widow, who's husband was being honored by the American Vietnam Veterans. We couldn't find any support, until the Army Reserve came forward and raised her air fare, as well as a bit of spending money for her. The American Veteran Associations found her accommodation in Washington D.C. and the New Zealand High Commission fond some one who had time to come and get the Photo session in order.
I am afraid that if these Men are to get there and receive the kudos they earned and rightly deserve they will need a benefactor.
But it is a Bloody Disgrace how Veterans of all ages and conflicts are treated in this country.

Willi B
9th Feb 2009, 04:40
Even if the spondulaks are forthcoming, there's still the necessity both of complying with UK visa regulations, and enduring the hostile questioning on arrival from the less than welcoming non Anglo/Celt immigation staff at the 'Rest of the World' counter. Changed a bit since the early 40s I suspect ...

Pontius Navigator
9th Feb 2009, 07:05
At least someone in NuLab carried through the Heros' return programme. We didn't have very far go to - Guernsey - but I imagine not a few went to Burma and even Japan.

Fantome
24th Feb 2009, 18:43
Aussie Vets Snubbed by RAAF & Qantas
WWII RAAF veterans have been snubbed by their Air Force, Government and Qantas as they battle to get to Britain for a commemoration. The old airmen have been invited by the RAF to the dedication ceremony of 11 Australian squadron badges at the RAF Church, St Clement Danes on The Strand, near Australia House, on March 26.

The church's floor is covered with tiles featuring badges of all allied squadrons that served during World War II. For many years there have been 11 blank spaces where the 5 RAAF fighter and 6 bomber squadron badges will soon take pride of place. The veterans will be unable to witness the historic event because the Federal Government and Qantas, which has employed RAAF pilots throughout its history, have refused to help about 20 veterans.

The Veterans Affairs Department told Spitfire Association president Lysle Roberts that it would take a year to make a decision. Qantas wrote to the ex-Spitfire pilot offering a terse thanks but no thanks. And Mr Roberts, who enlisted with 457 Squadron as an 18-year-old in 1943, said the RAAF hierarchy had been as "weak as water" for not standing up for veterans. "I am not surprised by this, I am bloody well shocked," the angry veteran said yesterday. "They have money to take school kids to Gallipoli but can't help us at all."

Ninety-one-year-old Spitfire ace Ted Sly DFC, MID, was even more blunt, describing the lack of help as an "absolute disgrace". "It is a slap in the face to the wonderful youth of Australia who paid the ultimate sacrifice," he said. A letter to Mr Roberts from the RAAF adviser at Australian House in London, Group Captain Pete Norford, says he would be "greatly honoured" to host members at this "very special event". All the offer includes is a cup of tea, cucumber sandwiches and advice on where to find a cheap hotel room and a bargain breakfast.

Thanks to David Lowy, Ted and his fellow veterans will travel business class to London for the commemoration in St Clement Danes. Ted says they are hard pressed to express their gratitude. They will have some Billy Tea bags in their pockets in case the opportunity arises in London to show up the miserliness and indifference of the Australian Government, Veterans Affairs and Qantas.

forget
24th Feb 2009, 18:48
Good on ya! :ok: Must be some Pom blood in their somewhere. :p

David Lowy Governing Committee Aviation (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/museum/DavidLowyPres.cfm)

Runaway Gun
24th Feb 2009, 20:27
That's simply brilliant of Mr Lowy - what a legend !! :ok:

And I'm not just basing that statement on this one act...

Trojan1981
24th Feb 2009, 23:51
:ok: Good on you David Lowy. As posted above, not just for this one act.

Captain Sand Dune
25th Feb 2009, 00:40
This task should have been undertaken by 34SQN.:mad: It would be interesting to see if in fact the question was asked.
Well done David Lowey.:ok:

Load Toad
25th Feb 2009, 01:05
I don't know the circumstances of this 'snub' but surely airlines know the immense PR value in being seen to support veterans?

Old Fella
25th Feb 2009, 04:20
Again, let's not forget for whom the veterans fought, half a world away from home, and who invited them to the UK. I'll bet HRH QE2 did not foot the bill for being flown out to Oz on a RAAF B707 in 1980, having been invited here by the Australian Government. BTW, I too congratulate Mr David Lowy on his generous gesture. Not sure what the inference was in the post from forget which included the quote "Must be some POM blood in there somewhere". Maybe you would like to expand on that a bit forget.

Cap'n Bunghole
25th Feb 2009, 08:02
I hope he hasn't bought them Qantas tickets :}

BTW the RAAF don't get to choose where 34SQN fly to, and with whom. That would be Emperor Rudd's call.

Captain Sand Dune
25th Feb 2009, 21:49
BTW the RAAF don't get to choose where 34SQN fly to, and with whom. That would be Emperor Rudd's call.

Correct. My point is that it would have been nice for Emperor Krudd to offer, or even a senior officer (CAF or CDF) to propose it.

Trojan1981
25th Feb 2009, 23:29
There was a story in the news a few days ago where even the the CDF was denied use of a 34 Sqn A/C and had to 'fly commercial'. I don't think these guys would have had a chance. Commercial tickets would have been a reasonable compromise though...

Captain Sand Dune
26th Feb 2009, 01:56
There was a story in the news a few days ago where even the the CDF was denied use of a 34 Sqn A/C and had to 'fly commercial'.
True. Although sevice chiefs can ask to use 34SQN, they are low on the priority list compared to our glorious and esteemed leaders. Would have been nice to see the appropriate service chiefs championing their (the RAAF vets) cause though.
Commercial tickets would have been a reasonable compromise though... Precisely! However I reckon that should have been a Government initiative through the Dept of Veteran Affairs.

oldpinger
26th Feb 2009, 03:10
So it's ok to spend $1mil on happiness training for public servants:eek:, also to spend 1 in 6 days away from the country courtesy of 34sqn and the taxpayer, but it takes the generosity of a private, albeit wealthy citizen to help?

Thank K-Rudd for nothing.

Oh and those defence cuts he said wouldn't happen.....

herkman
26th Feb 2009, 04:54
Yes who pinched two of our tankers to be converted to VIP aircraft at an extra A$45M.

If we only needed three tankers, why would we have tasked 5.

Sad day but then defense has never done well under labour.

Regards

Col