PDA

View Full Version : Parched Perth Wa

Civis
6th Feb 2009, 06:44
BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Parched Perth embarks on water rescue (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7859590.stm)

Good Grief,
WA sitting on a 1,000 year fresh water aquifer scource and the guvment politico's won't tap it :{

tinpis
6th Feb 2009, 07:05
Let them drink Perrier. :suspect:

sisemen
6th Feb 2009, 07:57
The aquifer referred to is the Yaragadee Aquifer which sits underneath the SW of the State. That area is a bio-diversity "hot spot" with many of the world's rarest and endangerd flora and fauna. Tap into that aquifer and you run the risk of buggering the whole lot and, as the subsequent inquiry found, it is connected to the surface.

The short term solution is the desalination plant - but at what cost in fossilised fuel etc.

Long term we have to bring water down from the north and/or get a lot smarter.

Perth has improved enormously since the time when the majority of the article was based on. It's really, really old 'news' - years old.

Nothing to see here. Move along now please.

Scrubbed
6th Feb 2009, 10:09
Do they still turn out the streetlights after 11pm over there?? Such a quaint town!

Mrs Hughes
6th Feb 2009, 10:25
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years that resource has taken to get there?

I wonder how many groundwater dependent ecosystems rely on that pristine water resource in its current state?

I wonder how many opportunities for efficient water saving innovations will be lost if the decision to deplete groundwater resouces is made?

I wonder how many genuine groundwater users will suffer from drawdown and contamination if 1000 years worth of water is sucked dry?

I wonder why there is such an anthropocentric view of natural resources?

sisemen
6th Feb 2009, 13:43
Sorry, before this thread works up a head of steam over a non-event I should have added in my previous post that the tapping of the Yaragadee Aquifer has been banned - hence the second desalination plant.

No, we don't turn the lights out at 11pm. This State mostly works 24/7 to supply the wealth for the rest of Australia and the iron ore for Japan and China (admittedly not quite as much as last month!). Do they have street lights where you come from Scrubbed, or pristine beaches, or sunshine, or an extremely high standard of living? The cheap shots always come from the jealous :}

Charlie Foxtrot India
6th Feb 2009, 14:08
Gummint let the rain disappear down the storm drains into the sea then build desal plants that run on power generated by coal to take the salt out of it again... :rolleyes:

Better to catch the rainwater in the first place (including that from up North). A lot of us here in the Perth outskirts have no other water supply than the sky above our roof and it tastes a lot better than the mains stuff.:yuk:

God forbid they ever tap the Yarragadee.

Checkboard
6th Feb 2009, 14:18
Do they still close half the service stations on the weekends? :)

I lived in South Perth for six years. :}

sisemen
6th Feb 2009, 14:33
No .....................................................