PDA

View Full Version : Plane down in the water off Nightcliff..

tinpis
5th Feb 2009, 22:40
20 minutes ago...chopper hovering over light aircraft in the drink off Nightcliff
No type or ID as yet no boats to it yet...

Socket
5th Feb 2009, 22:42
Just got a tip that it was a PA-31 and all got out OK, hope it was accurate.

tinpis
5th Feb 2009, 22:46
Birdstrike? :rolleyes:

Socket
5th Feb 2009, 22:51
just on radio, 6 pob, all walking through mud to east point. yay.

Capt Claret
5th Feb 2009, 23:11
"walking across the mud flats ..."

But where are the ferries? :}

Liklik balus
5th Feb 2009, 23:25
The ferries are off with the fairies!

tinpis
5th Feb 2009, 23:36
The Old Coconut Grove airport hasnt been used for a while :rolleyes:

Discovery68
5th Feb 2009, 23:52
White plane with Blue Tail. CSG, Frontier ?

flog
6th Feb 2009, 00:03
I fly in parts where there's little in the way of mud flats, what's the technique for landing in them?

Will Robinson
6th Feb 2009, 00:18
Make sure on exit you fall in the mud so the only skid marks are the ones left by the aeroplane.:E

Teal
6th Feb 2009, 00:26
A bit more info from the news services....

Plane ditches in Darwin Harbour
Georgina Robinson
February 6, 2009 - 12:18PMSix people walked away uninjured from a light plane that ditched into Darwin Harbour today.

Glenn Campbell, an Age photographer, said the aircraft made an emergency landing into shallow water about 200 metres off shore from East Point Reserve at 8.40am local time (10.10am AEDT).

"It appears the two-engine aircraft has lost power and ditched into the ocean, on tidal flats off East Point," Mr Campbell said.

"Everyone's walked away from it, the pilot walked away from the aircraft."

Northern Territory police confirmed all five passengers and the pilot were unharmed.

The men and women waded through shallow water to a picnic area where police and ambulances were waiting, a police spokeswoman said.

The plane is owned by CSG Aviation and had just taken off. It is believed it was heading to the remote community of Maningrida, about 500km east of Darwin.

"I arrived as the passengers had disembarked, just as the pilot was wading through the ocean...(it looked like) he was the last one off the plane," Mr Campbell said.

The water in which the plane landed was only about half a metre deep, he said.
CSG is a computer technology firm that flies support and maintenance into remote areas of the Northern Territory.

According to its website, CSG owns two aircraft and usually flies from Darwin International Airport.

Resident Glenn Chandler said he was having a bike ride when he spotted two council workers staring out to sea.

"Two hundred metres off shore there's just this plane sitting in the harbour with water up to its wings and half a dozen people are standing around next to it in water up to their waists, sort of scratching their heads," Mr Chandler said.

"Then they just slowly dawdled back to shore...chatting amongst themselves, it was quite a surreal thing.

"Obviously no one was hurt because there was no panic or anything."

SmoothCriminal
6th Feb 2009, 00:48
Oh Lord !! Good to see everyone walked or swam away..... lucky was off 29er.... have a drink and chill out guys, whatever the reason shall be, it's a bloody good outcome and might see you all in the evening at the deck for a friday splash !

Smoothie....:ok:

Capt Fathom
6th Feb 2009, 00:52
Photos here courtesy SMH (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/everyone-safe-in-darwin-ditching-drama/2009/02/06/1233423459175.html)

You'd think he would have closed the hatch before he left. Don't want water getting into it! :E

ZEEBEE
6th Feb 2009, 01:26
"Then they just slowly dawdled back to shore...chatting amongst themselves, it was quite a surreal thing.

With the number of Crodociles around that place, I don't believe that I'd be doing too much in the way of "dawdling"

Be a shame to survive that and then wind up on the menu. :eek:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Feb 2009, 01:29
I'm with you Capt Fathom.....

Luckily the water appears to be about 1/3 of a fathom....but what is the tide doing??

I reckon I would have closed the door too!!
Might as well try to minimise the damage.....not really 'waterproof' doors I know, but......'minimum' damage is good ......

Otherwise, ALL out OK - so, Excellent result in the circumstances.

Cheers.

tinpis
6th Feb 2009, 01:36
There is a marker on it and it is now covered by tide
I expect the coppers will divvy up the mudcrabs at 10.26 low tide tomorrow morning :uhoh:

Pluto's gone
6th Feb 2009, 01:36
Looks like a popular place to "land".

So thats one there on approach years ago and one on take off today.

I suppose at least the one near East Point is only a short stroll to the Sailing CLub for a beer or two.

Good job to swim away. One more PA31 out of the system, surely this one won't be rebuilt?

ozaggie
6th Feb 2009, 01:46
C'mon people, wheres the piccies?

Mr Brewster
6th Feb 2009, 01:48
Aux tanks indeed. Lets stick to the facts.

"The aeroplane came over really low, it was making funny sounds"
"The engine stalled"
"The pilot fought with the controls"
"The aeroplane plunged towards the water, passengers were screaming, the pilot pulled up just in time"
"It was Canadian geese that got lost"

That should do it, now lets wait for the NT News.

Brian Abraham
6th Feb 2009, 01:52
Interesting the report says "He said on take-off they experienced some loss of power in one of the engines and he followed all the procedures and shut the engine down and wasn't able to return to the field so he had to put down on the beach" but appears to have nothing feathered. Just an observation, nothing more.

KRviator
6th Feb 2009, 01:53
Anyone notice the title of the SMH Article?

Sully "Lite" 'cool' pilot Steve's Darwin ditching drama...:D

tinpis
6th Feb 2009, 01:55
So far the NT Eggtimer has managed to squeeze in the crocs :rolleyes:

Plane crashes off Darwin beach - Northern Territory News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/02/06/31635_ntnews.html)

framer
6th Feb 2009, 02:03
but appears to have nothing feathered. Brian, where are the photos that show that? I can only find the one photo.

cjam
6th Feb 2009, 02:14
The pax were lucky they had someone with experience up the front.
I only hope you didn't "smash bottle" .
Good work Bolle.

Pluto's gone
6th Feb 2009, 02:19
Speaking of which and one must not assume, but one must think that something must have gone extremely wrong for a dude with many many many hours on type to have such a problem and not get back to the black stuff.

It would have been a heavy Chief with 6 pob and probably return fuel?

strim
6th Feb 2009, 02:43
Great outcome. Well done.

I don't have much confidence in heavy PA31's climbing at all on one donk.

If there's favourable terrain ahead, land while it's still controllable.

cjam
6th Feb 2009, 03:51
Having flown with he pilot in question, I would be very surprised if he didn't carry out all required actions quickly and calmly.

tinpis
6th Feb 2009, 04:16
Northern Territory News - Plane crash off East Point (http://tools.ntnews.com.au/photos/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=815&offset=1)

Stationair8
6th Feb 2009, 04:41
I thought you would be on TV, calling for the airport to be closed and you fear for your life everyday!!

Gee imagine if it had crashed into the Bagot Road community, could have lost thousand's of traditional owners and their dogs.

Natit
6th Feb 2009, 04:42
Pilots initials?

Capt Fathom
6th Feb 2009, 04:44
Pilots initials?

The pilot is named in several newspaper links, all posted here!!

ringbinder
6th Feb 2009, 05:47
Framer, click on the NT News link in posts No. 22, then in that article, click on "see our pictures of the crash ". About 10 or eleven shots to look at , one or two of which are from where BA possibly makes his observations. Just pointing you in the right direction after your question, not commenting at all on the incident.

You rock
6th Feb 2009, 06:12
Great job bollee, well done mate, good to hear everyone is ok. How have things been mate its been some years since we shared a beer

sms777
6th Feb 2009, 06:28
Good outcome and well done to the pilot! :D
On the lighter side ...... where were the bloody crocs this time? Have they taken a day off or something? :suspect:
Hey tinpis, you must have an answer to that one! ;)

pa60ops
6th Feb 2009, 06:43
This story cant be complete surely without either the crocs or a rogue great white??? Great outcome all the same - pax + pilot walk away. Fantastic.

Desert Flower
6th Feb 2009, 07:54
I don't have much confidence in heavy PA31's climbing at all on one donk.

Particularly if they've been fitted with a VG kit!

DF.

Nose wheel first
6th Feb 2009, 08:20
Hear Hear Desert Flower.

Well done Mr Bolle:ok::ok::ok:

Howard Hughes
6th Feb 2009, 09:39
Well done that man!:ok:

I wonder if he will now get an offer from Sir Dick?;)

Grogmonster
6th Feb 2009, 11:14
DF,

From personal experience I can tell you they will climb. I had one die on me a few years back. It didn't do much after I feathered it until I remembered to split the ball and put 5 degrees bank into the good engine plus shut the cowl flap. After that it was all good. I had 8 pax and 3 hours fuel so a fair bit of weight but to be fair it was only about 28 degrees OAT.

werbil
6th Feb 2009, 12:10
Wally - where are you? Tell me again about how a second donk will always get you out of trouble? How dangerous SE turbine is? At least the van at Townsville last year was able to be flown back to a runway.

To the pilot - nice ditching - great outcome for the those on board. Considered a seaplane rating? You've already got one water landing in the log book.:ok:

av8trflying
6th Feb 2009, 13:44
Werbil

Yeah a little different.

A little easier at 8,000, plenty of room of to move!!

Kangaroo Court
6th Feb 2009, 14:12
Let's hope he hits the gym before he goes into anymore wet t-shirt contests. Not exactly a flattering portrait.

tinpis
6th Feb 2009, 17:50
Pity the poor buggers trying to recover it this morning.Nasty, nasty, out there and we got a TC Freddy stage left :rolleyes:

Sir George Cayley
6th Feb 2009, 20:35
News just in :ooh:

Apparently the pilot was seen strugglizing with the controls try to avoid a school..........

of Porpoises:D:D:D:D

Sir George Cayley

flying-spike
6th Feb 2009, 20:44
Gotta agree. I have around 1000 take offs in chieftains out of Darwin in Chieftains at MTOW(full pax and fuel to MGD). A well maintained Chieftain will climb with one out at that weight. I was at the terminal in Darwin at the time of the accident and the Wx was coming in from the SW at that timeand particularyly gloomy off the end of 29. The end result is a good one obviously , but there is probably more to this than meets the eye.

INNflight
6th Feb 2009, 21:31
Wonder if he gets a free ticket for the next inauguration of some Australian politician?

Or maybe the Kangaroobowl :E

Well done obviously, considering the weather was not too favourable for ditching. Interested to see a first report.

bullamakanka
7th Feb 2009, 04:12
I dont think the denisty height in Darwin at this time of year would favour a PA31 on one engine at all. The ones I flew struggled on two during the NT summer.

Great work SB.

Bulla

Dog One
7th Feb 2009, 04:35
When I came through a bit later in the morning, it was overcast and 27 degrees, the wind was westerly at about 15 kts.

tmpffisch
7th Feb 2009, 05:23
After spending this week reading the 'Epaulettes' (http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/360143-epaulettes.html) thread :rolleyes: , has anyone noticed that there's the 'wet t-shirt competition' photo where he's wearing his bars while walking back to land, and all the subsequent photos show he took them off.....:confused:

Must have been planning to go straight to the pub!:ok:

http://tools.ntnews.com.au/admin/custom_images//gallery/2009/02/06/40185.jpg
http://tools.ntnews.com.au/admin/custom_images//gallery/2009/02/06/40151.jpg

Chimbu chuckles
7th Feb 2009, 06:41
The aircraft is in the water a nm or so off the end of a VERY long runway...with neither prop feathered.

That would suggest the engine failed several hundred feet up.

You people shouting the praises of the pilot going to suggest the aircraft did not have the performance, if properly flown, of at least maintaining altitude and flying a very gentle, wide circuit?

It certainly wont with a wind milling prop.

frothy
7th Feb 2009, 06:44
I see he's got his ASIC on, The only thing saving the day:ok:
Good result

Frothy

das Uber Soldat
7th Feb 2009, 06:56
I see he's got his ASIC on, The only thing saving the dayhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
Good result

Frothy

Its facing backwards.

Fine him! :}

rep
7th Feb 2009, 06:58
Hes not displaying it correctly tho, he should be fined! :}

tio540
7th Feb 2009, 08:58
Hi Chimbu, a prop was feathered. Oops.:)

ForkTailedDrKiller
7th Feb 2009, 09:08
Nothing looks feathered here!

Sully lite: 'cool' pilot Steve's Darwin ditching drama - National - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/everyone-safe-in-darwin-ditching-drama/2009/02/06/1233423459175.html)

Well, maybe the guy on the left looks a bit knackered, but not feathered?

Dr :8

Stationair8
7th Feb 2009, 09:08
Flying spike anytime you were near a PA-31 it would be at MTOW.
Did you use the standard weight of 77kgs for yourself on the old Ossie trim sheets?

Did they recover the airframe today?

framer
7th Feb 2009, 09:10
with neither prop feathered.
...hmmmmm strong words from chuckles, will you apologise if you're wrong ?

flying-spike
7th Feb 2009, 09:51
Yeah, I was waiting for you to chime in. No, I didn't use the 77kg (that would be my left leg). Apparently they were waitng for high tide to get a barge in then pick it up.

Stationair8
7th Feb 2009, 10:11
On ABC news as we speak.

The main thing is they are all out of it okay.

I will let the resident Pprune experts do the indepth analysis and work out the various scenarios etc.

Do most of the operators carry life jackets in their aircraft when operating out of Darwin? Or only for the overwater sectors such as Bathurst Island?

ResumeOwnNav
7th Feb 2009, 10:28
My company carry life jackets on all flights.

20.11.5.1.2 Requires you to carry life jackets for all occupants if during the take-off or landing an emergency would result in a water landing.

All depatures on 29 and landings on 11 would require life jackets to be carried.

This only applies to CHTR and RPT.

Can't comment on CSG or any other company out of DN.

tio540
7th Feb 2009, 10:41
Nothing looks feathered here!

Sully lite: 'cool' pilot Steve's Darwin ditching drama - National - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/everyone-safe-in-darwin-ditching-drama/2009/02/06/1233423459175.html)

Well, maybe the guy on the left looks a bit knackered, but not feathered?

Dr http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/nerd.gif

Forky your eyesight is outstanding. It appears to have hit the water, with most of the blades immersed, how can you make this judgement? :)

Howard Hughes
7th Feb 2009, 11:04
The aircraft is in the water a nm or so off the end of a VERY long runway...with neither prop feathered.

That would suggest the engine failed several hundred feet up.

You people shouting the praises of the pilot going to suggest the aircraft did not have the performance, if properly flown, of at least maintaining altitude and flying a very gentle, wide circuit?

It certainly wont with a wind milling prop.
Harsh words Chuck, not what I would have expected!:eek:

From my viewing of the pictures (and that's all I have to go on), I would say that the two props do have different blade angles and would suspect that the left is feathered.

Also having met the pilot many moons ago, he is not someone I would expect to make a basic mistake like not feathering the prop. He has plenty of time in PA-31's!:ooh:

AussieNick
7th Feb 2009, 11:52
and just to wade into this argument, you are assuming that he used the entire length of 29, and has not taken off from Echo or Bravo. I do agree with HH in that the left donk does appear to be in a corser pitch than the right.

Does anyone know if the pitch could have been 'forced' into a finer angle due to impact etc?

framer
7th Feb 2009, 12:33
Harsh words Chuck, not what I would have expected!http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Me neither...whats wrong Chuckles?? Turn that frown upside down aye.

Chimbu chuckles
7th Feb 2009, 16:41
If I am wrong I will apologise unreservedly...the props don't look feathered to me in pic #4 in the series in Tin's posts on page 2.

Too, don't read 'harsh' into my post, that wasn't intended..I made an observation and asked a question.

flying-spike
7th Feb 2009, 16:50
We didn't carry "life jackets" becasuse they used to get knocked off and end up in somebodies tinny inthe community. We did carry approved flotation devices... the seat cushions were all removable and usable for flotation devices. All kosher and approved by whatever CASA was then

tio540
7th Feb 2009, 21:16
If I am wrong I will apologise unreservedly...the props don't look feathered to me in pic #4 in the series in Tin's posts on page 2.

Remember that.:)

gkja
7th Feb 2009, 21:27
They've buggered it (more) now.Pictures this morning show the tailplane ripped off it.Must have tried to drag it out backwards.

tinpis
7th Feb 2009, 21:41
Think yer will find tide probaly fecked it, note the door is missing
Could have trucked the lot 300 metres to the kids playground :hmm:

http://www.ntnews.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2009/02/07/6_planecrash.jpg

Howard Hughes
7th Feb 2009, 22:03
Even from that pic it's hard to tell!:eek:

The base of the prop looks like it is in a course position, while the tip looks a lot finer...:confused:

PS: Where is the other engine?:ooh:

The Voice
7th Feb 2009, 22:58
On last nights news it showed salvage workers humming around it before cutting to the shot of the wreck on the barge which was bucking like an out of control bronco in the 'surf' ..

conditions looked pretty rough while they were trying to conduct ops ..

Pinky the pilot
7th Feb 2009, 23:33
Anyone know the reggo of the aircraft?

tinpis
7th Feb 2009, 23:37
And Parent of The Month award to whoever let their kids loose in stinger infested water uncovered :ok:

Di_Vosh
7th Feb 2009, 23:50
HH

PS: Where is the other engine?

Just visible (missing cowl). Also can see a bent prop blade (in front of the orange float).

DIVOSH!

topdrop
8th Feb 2009, 01:54
And Parent of The Month award to whoever let their kids loose in stinger infested water uncovered
The kid's got a picture of his old man on the t-shirt.