PDA

View Full Version : PTC Flybe Course

LessThanSte
5th Feb 2009, 18:30
Has anyone applied and/or booked an assessment with PTC for the Flybe part-sponsorship scheme?

And does anyone have details about it, some info about the assessment day etc, suggestions and the like?!

F/O UFO
8th Feb 2009, 08:48
I stumbled across this the other day. Is it new, because I'm amazed I never saw it before! I'm suprised it it on to be honest- the flybe website says any sponsorship scheme is closed, as does the cabair website.... anyone know anything?

LessThanSte
8th Feb 2009, 11:52
Alledgedly they (flybe) took 15 people on last year and are taking more or less the same this year. The scheme is part sponsored, they pay for MCC and JOC but then guarantee a job apparently, and from what ive been told they dont intend on putting people into a holding pool or anything.

And a bit of googling suggests they have a fair few birds on order, mainly Dash 8's

preduk
8th Feb 2009, 16:39
They've been doing this program for a while now with schools like Cabair, FTE, PTC etc.

I wouldn't touch it, PTC get slaughtered constantly on this forum and not only this but the wages after you qualify are really low when you understand the loan repayments.

Reluctant737
8th Feb 2009, 16:58
It still equates to an oasis in the middle of a desert of "oh ****!"

oneinthemirror
9th Feb 2009, 11:34
bear in mind that there are rumours going around (yes rumours but this site isnt called ppfane) that any slip up whatsoever on this 'sponsorship' course will get you a ticket home from florida. this includes not passing a lesson first time, which im sure every pilot on earth has done at some stage in their training.

as for guaranteed employment, especially in todays climate, well i dont even trust the guarantee that came with my tv...

jimclearsky
9th Feb 2009, 12:52
Well if you are sponsoring your own training i
cant see how they can send you home for not passing a lesson first time.
Afterall Flybe only pay for the mcc course after you have got your licence.Maybe if you fail to reach a certain standard you are no longer
"flybe approved" ,this should only cause you to become a standard self sponsored student- unless the banks are also monitoring your progress!
You would need this clarified by ptc in writing though as otherwise it would be an expensive 100k gamble that you wouldnt fail a lesson!

F/O UFO
10th Feb 2009, 16:32
The scheme starts in june, with 14 cadets being selected by flybe and PTC Ireland.

You say PTC gets slated often on here but- could someone enlighten me as to why..... sorry but the search function on here did not produce a wealth of information.

alpha_lima_xray
11th Feb 2009, 10:54
Hey All!
I went for the assessment last May. Its almost a full day. You go to PTC, Welcomed and greeted by the staff, meet the other guys or girls attending the assessment. You do some computerised tests, mind games, joystick stuff, basic math, english and physics.. nothing to hard, pretty easy if you ask me.
After that you take a little break. Then a very fun sim test, fly around virtual Dublin, then come in for a landing.
When you're done with that there are individual debriefings and then a group debriefing with some Q&A..

Hope that gives you an idea..

I'd also like to know what the story is with the PTC slaughtering on this forum :confused:

tarasky
11th Feb 2009, 13:43
[QUOTE] I'd also like to know what the story is with the PTC slaughtering on this forum http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif [QUOTE]

alpha lima xray,

It's "slaughtering" that is highly justified.
Of course you would think they are fantastic you were there for a few hours to do an assessment and they were trying to get you to sign up.

I know it's hard to know where to train at the beginning and I know alot of you think that it can't be true and that we are just disgrunteled students who didn't make it (far from it) so please read the posts about PTC. I was there and I can say that each and every post is acurate. Take your €'s elsewhere. Listen to those who have attended and graduated. Do not listen to those who want your money.

Tara

potkettleblack
11th Feb 2009, 14:28
If Flybe is your target airline then do a search. The various schools that have affiliations with Flybe have been done to death over the years. Put together a spreadsheet and work out what a bog standard modular programme from one of these "affiliated" schools is compared to what you will get from PTC. Take into account any salary sacrifices later on as an F/O as well.

oneinthemirror
12th Feb 2009, 13:26
fiveo,

to clarify: not passing a lesson first time meaning having to repeat a lesson, having not met the standards set by an FTO before being allowed to progress onward, ie not demonstrating satisfactory stalls or PFL and so having to repeat the lesson before, say, you get signed off to go solo.

show me a pilot who has not had to repeat a lesson on a structured course.

bear in mind i didnt say it was a fact, just a rumour going around, and i posted it to see if anyone could shed light on it

fiveo
12th Feb 2009, 15:33
Well I can tell you its just another crazy rumour, the Integrated courses are not as structured as they appear and I've not known a sponsored student ever screw up a lesson to the point where they have had an official fail. It does happen but certainly not to the sponsored or able self sponsored students.

Getting a place on the PTC Flybe course is a golden ticket to the cockpit. Its not perfect but its one of the best opportunities out there. Judging trainee pilots on the outcome of one lesson or test is completely unrealistic we all screw up from time to time it's a fact of life. Airlines know this.

fiveo
12th Feb 2009, 17:18
I've no idea when the current PTC students will finish but the new course wont be finishing for approx 2yrs will they. Let me guess you have a majic ball that tells you that the end of the world will have come by then.

Flybe recruit alot of tagged students and will continue to do so as soon as things pick up.

daraireland
12th Feb 2009, 19:24
Ok it sounds good, not too good which is good if ya get me.

It costs €97000.... for a Modular Course NOT including JCC JOC as Flybe pay that.

So what is the high price covering? I do think its not a bad Offer, but not a good deal. Its too pricey and whats the guarantee of a job in 2 years, regardless of a contract. New FOs are the first to get shafted in an airline when times are tough...look at Sterling and their Star eyes MPL cadets...a few weeks after placement - Sacked. PTC has too many marketing drives. "98% of graduated are employed within 2 months of completing PTC"...What the hell was that about?

The offer is an oasis but remember being desperate in the desert makes the mind think funny things.

I suggest for people to go for it, bu make sure the contract is Read with a mircoscope.

HE WHO DARES WINS.....or loses