PDA

View Full Version : Monarch aircraft

SFly
22nd Nov 2001, 19:55
It seems the old bird has finally flown to the great airport in the sky . . .

That's right, Monarch's DC-10 has been retired.

Seems that there was some kind of wing damage and those at Monarch reckoned that it was cheaper just to sell it for parts.

Shame, I'll miss seeing it tech at EGCC, EGKK etc!
http://www.monarch-airlines.com/4aircraft/current/IMAGES/DC10.gif

So is that really why it's going?

Goodbye GDMCA.
Mike :(

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: SFly ]

Scottie Dog
22nd Nov 2001, 20:20
Sfly

I must admit I did not appreciate that the DC-10 was being retired, but I think you will find that she is presently in storage at Manchester (EGCC) together with World, Airtours and Electra DC-10s.

Certainly she always looked a beauty when seen on short-finals or early climb-out.

Scottie Dog
:) :) :) :)

BOEINGBOY1
22nd Nov 2001, 22:18
no wing problem - or other faults with the a/c (other than standard tech items) a/c is in temp storage and has been for 4weeks now at man. currently being maintained and could fly swiftly, had it not been that all crews now re fleeted.

DJXL
22nd Nov 2001, 23:35
Scottie Dog,

Youīre certainly not wrong about it looking a corker close up, this is it taking off out of Manc.

I was going to include a photo from airliners.net of it taking off out of Manc but the link didnīt work ho hum. Itīs the last picture that I was on about if you do a search for it.

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: DJXL ]

SFly
23rd Nov 2001, 00:30
So do I understand correctly that it has not been retired per se . . . it's just having a well-earned kip?

Let's see if I can have better luck with these links:
MON DC-10 1998 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=011591)
DC-10 closeup (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=187764)
Head on view - Rotate from EGCC (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=187409)

Good news then?
SFly :)

BOEINGBOY1
23rd Nov 2001, 00:48
its a real shame, but doupt it will ever fly for spotty m again though. outdated by modern technology (a330's) but will never be out classed.

STAGE COACH DRIVER
23rd Nov 2001, 00:55
The Monarch DC10 is still on lease to them till APR2003.As part of the cost cutting moves they have in their wisdom decided to grd the a/c and refleet the pilots and make the F/E's redundant of which I am one.At the moment the a/c is in MAN as they have not decided where to store it but it will probably go to the desert.It will be sadly missed by those of us who flew on it.

Mooney
23rd Nov 2001, 01:04
Another fantastic pic

Dc-10 (http://www.vikingslides.com/wallpapers/mondc-10_1024.jpg)

The Guvnor
23rd Nov 2001, 01:16
I suspect that it was retired due to the fact that spares for the engines quoted - CF8-5DC2 - are impossible to find. :D :D :D

Miskin
23rd Nov 2001, 02:35
It is not true that the 10 cannot fly because the pilots have been refleeted. The crews have only been allocated a "new" type - they have not been retrained. The whole operation could be up and running within hours. Anybody want to charter a 10 before its too late?
By the way anybody out there know of any DC10 jobs for pilots? Anywhere in the World - well perhaps not Afganistan!

dumiel
23rd Nov 2001, 04:31
Know how you feel I felt the same way when they rolled out the last 707 sad day :(

802j668
23rd Nov 2001, 16:41
Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be is it?

RAF Rupert
23rd Nov 2001, 20:40
Aaah the series 30, the queen of the skies in my opinion. I remember taking delivery of Freddy Laker's first DC10 (G-AZZC) - brings a tear to my eye. Last saw one at EGYL, think she'd had a birdstrike.

Will miss the old kite greatly.

Anyone got any news on the Vulcan bomber flying again?

Silkman
24th Nov 2001, 02:09
A Wake is being held for Charlie Alpha next Thursday night in Wilmslow I believe. Black attire is mandatory for this sad occasion.
She will be staying at MAN for the winter although i'm told her titles and Spotty 'M' will be coming off next week. :(

unwrapping the aog
25th Nov 2001, 02:47
Obviously no ground engineers here, Most of them, myself included are glad to see the back of any 3 headed ulcer, death cruiser or what ever other terms of affection they may be called. Expensive, labour intensive and spares in short supply, that is probably why it has been retired, just like JMCs.

SFly
27th Nov 2001, 04:47
aog, you sound like the old maids sorting out Scrooge's belongings in Christmas Future in A Christmas Carol!!! :p

Yes, she did have her fair share of technical problems (and no doubt boosted the economy of many airport-vacinity hotels!), but I think I can safely say that most pilots involved with British flying or in the Holiday side of things recognize the infamous Monarch DC-10 in front of them on the taxiway etc, and it is an "old favorite" to see.

I still think it's just a shame :(, however, good luck to Monarch with their shiny new longhaul fleet in future! :)

SFly

loggerhead
27th Nov 2001, 05:25
Actually, you’ll be surprised how many spares were indeed out there on the open market. The only real problem was the IFE. But never any major grounding equipment. A bit pricey though due to the amount of units required

rightstuff
27th Nov 2001, 07:47
I don't hear any of the Flight Crews reminising about the occasion(and there was more than one)when the toilet system dumped its load into the bulk cargo where there bags had been loaded(Ah the romance of aviation).It may have been a delight to fly but from a ground engineers point of view it was an absolute bitch to work on.
It shouldn't be a wake that is held next week but a celebration,it will be like an early Christmas present for the Monarch guys.If they need any volunteers I'll provide the matches.
On a serious note I do sympathise with anyone who may find themselves out of a job because of Spotty 'M's decision.

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: rightstuff ]

curmudgeon
28th Nov 2001, 17:10
As a sometimes nervous passenger who's had more than my fair share of in flight excitement (yes a go around is more exciting than I need, and I can remember both of them) I was on this particular aircraft in August after an A330 went tech. It's the only time I've been on an aircraft that's been greeted by fire engines as it turned off the runway. Still, better that they're there and not needed than not there and needed!

cirrus01
29th Nov 2001, 17:06
Ahhh DC10s they paid my mortgage for over 10 years......plenty of overtime ! Slat rigging anyone ? howabout #2 pneumatic abnormal light investigation ? :rolleyes:

Stan By
2nd Dec 2001, 16:51
"Cut 'em up!" I say.
I can work an oxy-gas torch, can I help? :D

DCDriver
2nd Dec 2001, 22:19
The Queen of the Sky I say! Had the best years of my career flying the '10; now its just time-serving to retirement by comparison. But I did notice in recent years very few ground engineers knew anything about them as all the older guys had been given early retirement to cut costs...

STAGE COACH DRIVER
4th Dec 2001, 20:26
I think the problem these days is the standard of Ground Engineers you get.Most of them are box changers who don't like to get their hands dirty.

rightstuff
4th Dec 2001, 22:14
I'd rather be a box changer than a button pusher.At least my job isn't being replaced by the boxes that you mention.

Bus429
5th Dec 2001, 03:07
Now, now, fellas, stop it right there. I remember the 10 with affection. I also remember being able to do a daily in an hour or so (singlehanded)!!??? Remember that, rightstuff? IFE was a b*gger. I think it was the 10 that cemented a desire to get off shift-work for a while!
Still, it's on my 66.

[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: Bus429 ]

rightstuff
5th Dec 2001, 07:10
It cemented my desire to work elsewhere.Did you get my E mail Bus???