PDA

View Full Version : The Beehive, Gatwick

jo_john_uk
5th Feb 2009, 14:26
I'm currently project managing the refurbishment of the historic Beehive terminal at Gatwick.

My client wishes to show the history of the building by displaying photography of the building through the years. I have managed to track down some images, but could do with more showing the interior of the building.

I would be grateful if anyone could put me in the right direction for photos either by posting them on this thread or by suggesting any useful websites.

Thanks in advance for your help.

fauteuil volant
6th Feb 2009, 17:11
There are a number of internal views of the beehive in 'Gatwick - the Evolution of an Airport' by John King. It was published by the Sussex Industrial Archeology Society (in conjunction with Gatwick Airport Ltd.) in 1986. It gives John King's contact address as the Ringway Centre, Baring Road, London SE12 0DS - but that was 23 years ago! The SIAS contact is Ron Martin, whose e-mail address is [email protected]. It may be that the Gatwick Aviation Society could be of help to you. I recollect that they have a website on which there are contact details. I'm sure that your search engine will link you to that. Good luck in your search and the refurbishment project!

Sir George Cayley
6th Feb 2009, 20:49
Have you tried BAA plc? They have an archive and might be able to help.

There's a museum to the northwest of Gatport - they may have some references?

Good luck with the restoration - keep the metal rails in the car park, how about the extendable covers wot ran over them?

Sir George Cayley