PDA

View Full Version : Being an Airline brat.

Buster Hyman
5th Feb 2009, 14:50
Ahhh, the memories.

I was reminiscing the other day about a $12 return fare from MEL to PHE, roughly 4,500k's away. It was sweet back then (not PHE!!!) to travel blissfully unaware of what the regular punters were forking out. Especially sitting up in First class & looking old enough to enjoy an alcoholic beverage (if the crew hadn't read the manifest properly)!

I enjoyed many fine perks, such as a personalised tour of Everitt & Renton, jump seats as often as I asked, so many upgrades that I didn't know they came in Green...very addictive.

Happy times.

Does anything like this exist these days?:confused:

birrddog
5th Feb 2009, 16:15
I doubt that exists today...

My mate down under's father used to be CP at the Flyin' Kangaroo... he has some great stories of being a spoiled brat like yourself Buster...

You probably both hung out in the First Class Lounge together... The one on the upper deck of the 747, that is :}

CathayBrat
5th Feb 2009, 19:34
Ahhhh, those were good days, Business class for the cost of the airport tax , being fawned over by the CC when the old man was up front, travelling over almost the entire CX network before aged 21, when it all came to a crashing, depressing and expensive reality check.

S'land
6th Feb 2009, 00:58
Many years ago, as a Sales Manager, I had to go on business to New York. One of my representatives was also due on the trip. We flew TWA in economy. When we checked in He got upgraded to First and I was left in economy. The same happened on the trip back to London. His father worked for TWA. I did not appreciate the system then.

CityofFlight
6th Feb 2009, 02:34
I enjoyed many fine perks, such as a personalised tour of Everitt & Renton, jump seats as often as I asked, so many upgrades that I didn't know they came in Green...very addictive.

Yep...so much has changed, Buster. Now there is a tour I've heard about, but it's only offered by a fellow Ppruner and I can't think of the name. :)

Buster Hyman
6th Feb 2009, 03:13
Indeed CoF, it's so much more interesting from the floor than the balcony. (not sure what this other tour is you're talking about though...does it have anything to do with seeing the Golden Rivets?):eek:

birddog...that'd be the Captain Cook Club (or Lounge:confused:). 742UD...very flash, if yer like Orange & Brown!!:bored:

CityofFlight
6th Feb 2009, 03:30
Golden Rivets....? Que? :confused:

(Buster...am I going to be disgusted by your explanation?)

Loose rivets
6th Feb 2009, 03:46
...........................................................: p

CityofFlight
6th Feb 2009, 03:49
Mr. Rivets... there's only one thing to say when a man's only message is to stick out his tongue. ;)

Loose rivets
6th Feb 2009, 04:14
I wait with baited breath.

Buster Hyman
6th Feb 2009, 05:26
.....:O....

Perhaps the legend of the Golden Rivet is peculiar to the Antipodes...:oh:

birrddog
6th Feb 2009, 05:34
From The Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=golden%20rivet)

1. an old nautical term for tempting a new recruit to the bowels of the ship for the purpose of homosexual activities

"see Roger, if you bend right over you can see the golden rivet"

2. A Naval prank played on new ship members for them to search for a golden rivet in the ships structure. Commonly ambiguous with a homosexual act as an "initiation" of the person. The latter is the generally accepted civilian meaning, however it is not referred to by anyone in the Navy, nor is the term spoken of.

"You'll be part of the crew once you find the golden rivet."

3. A semi mythical method of inducting new recruits into the British Navy

"Come below and I'll show you the golden rivet."

hrmn, guess I broke them rules about speaking about it. Oh well, the cats' out of the bag now...

Buster, care to elaborate when/where you found "the golden rivet" ? :p

Howard Hughes
6th Feb 2009, 08:58
I remember many trips in First Class as an Airline Brat!

On one trip to London when I was 12, I marvelled at the fresh fruit in First Class, never before and never since have I seen fresh fruit with absolutely NO blemishess!:eek:

On another flight from Melbourne to Brissie on an AN 767, in the days when domestic flights still had three classes! I was travelling with two friends, one who' paid full economy and one who had a 'stand by' ticket.

I paid around $10 for my fare and was upgraded to first, the person who had a stand by ticket and paid around $45 was upgraded to business and the poor sod who paid full price (aound $100 at the time) sat in the last row of economy!:ooh:

When we arrived in Brisbane we were comparing meals... I had eaten sirloin steak with baby vegetables washed down with a couple of Scotchs. The guy in business had chicken cacciatore washed down with a white wine and the guy in economy said "I Didn't get a meal, just a piece of fruit cake".

Didn't we all laugh? Well except for the guy who had the $100 piece of fruit cake!;)

1DC
6th Feb 2009, 09:14
Remember coming back from the Middle East on an overnight flight on a fairly empty BCAL DC10. I was the only one in First Class with a full fare ticket, (oil company paid), just before we left the gate two gay stewards(not part of the crew but known to most of them) came into first and then a party started which lasted most of the way home. When i complained about the noise i was told to mind my own business. I did get the cost of the fare refunded, don't know what happened to the crew..

Buster Hyman
6th Feb 2009, 10:09
birddog...I never found the Golden Rivet, although the pain during the search was quick & suprising.....:eek:

Actually, if you read my post, I was asking CoF if her tour had something to do with it, rather than admitting to searching for it myself!!!:rolleyes::=;)

birrddog
6th Feb 2009, 16:36
the pain during the search was quick & suprising.....:eek:

rather than admitting to searching for it myself!!!:rolleyes::=;)

Uhm, I believe you inadvertently let the cat out of the bag Buster :D

Rainboe
6th Feb 2009, 20:48
Many years ago, one of my school friends was Navigation Officer on the Royal Yacht, Britannia. I was allowed a conducted tour of the crew side. Down in the most beautiful engine room I have ever seen, with every pipe gleaming and shining the proper colour, I ask.......'where is the golden rivet?' I was told the Queen had so many local dignitaries all asking this question that they polished up one particular rivet in the deepest recesses to make it look golden, and that became the fabled 'golden rivet' on the Royal Yacht! Never saw the darn thing though.