View Full Version : How many hours..?

p7v300
5th Feb 2009, 12:02
Hi all,

Slightly unusual situation: I fell into a Falcon 2000EX TR (lucky me!:D) with job offer and circuits to boot but before achieving said circuits the job disappeared due to the economic downturn. Put your violins away for a moment though because before even starting to lick my wounds, another interview and job offer turned up! However, seconds before signing my name on the dotted line, the employer's insurance company put a stop to the whole thing :ugh:. The reason being that I am relatively low hours for somebody in the corporate sector (650TT, 350TP) and apparently do not meet insurance requirements stipulating a minimum of 1000 hours :sad:.

So with little time remaining to complete my circuits, the whole thing is starting to look like rather a waste of time. What to do? If there are any DA2000 jobs out there, will I be eligible for any of them? Or will I always fall short of insurance requirements?

Any advice, gratefully received

moonym20
5th Feb 2009, 12:20
just out of interest, are you FAA or JAR?

p7v300
5th Feb 2009, 12:32
I'm JAR....

S.F.L.Y
5th Feb 2009, 13:58
You're quite a lucky guy or must have some contacts to find these opportunities with your experience...:}

I don't think there is a rule of thumb on insurance requirements but if you did pay for your own type rating (beside being lucky you must be rich) then this could be saving some training expenses to some recruiters if they can't find type rated people and as such could be used to negotiate on the insurance till you build up your hours...

:\ Just in case you sadly can't make it with this one please let me know as I wouldn't mind paying my rating to get a job... (+3000 TP hrs and nothing for over a year...:{)

Antman
5th Feb 2009, 14:16
Here's an idea, depending on what your salary offer was. Ask the company to speak to the insurer and find out what excess primium they would require monthly to add you as a named pilot to the insurance, then tell the company they can take that excess out of your pay package(before tax) and when you get the 1000 hours the premium falls away and your salary is adjusted back to the original offer. I assume you're young and can afford to earn less for say a year.;)

Paradise Lost
5th Feb 2009, 14:51
p7v300, what the insurance company stipulated for your minimum hours is boring but quite typical. Antman's suggestion is a clever idea and may work: there are insurance companies however that would cover you because there are plenty of P2s flying with the airlines who don't have the magic 1,000 yet. Good luck.

p7v300
5th Feb 2009, 16:01
Antman,

That's a great idea. Thank you. I will definately try this before throwing in the towel!

Thanks for the encouragement, Paradise Lost.

Will let you all know the outcome.

Flintstone
5th Feb 2009, 18:37
Somehow I think the policy excess will be more than an FO's salary.

Nice idea though.

Private jet
6th Feb 2009, 10:58
Antmans idea could work, depending on the sums involved. It worked for me 10 years ago. I did have 2-3 years on very thin money as a result but it got me established in the business so it was well worth it.

Aslak
7th Feb 2009, 07:33
Hour requirement with the Insurance company are based on the agreement.

We operate 12 aircraft and for F/O's, the minimum hour requirement is 250hrs TT.

I guess we may pay little bit more for that.

Cheers!

And good luck...:ok:

eyeinthesky
7th Feb 2009, 10:29
p7v300:

Sounds like you are just missing out each time. Good luck with the various strategies.

I feel I know you: you didn't get most of your TP time on air ambulances, did you? ;)