PDA

View Full Version : avionics in Oz

canadiangal75
5th Feb 2009, 09:40
Hi,

I am looking at possibly doing an AME avionics course in Oz. Looks like it will be a 2 year full time diploma in Aeroskills- avionics for me. Has anyone does this course or at least done certificate iv course who can enlighten me on some details? I want to know if the Queensland Institute for Aviation Engineering is any good. I heard the Aviation Australia is good. What are the class sizes like? Are students generally able to hold down a part time job in avionics while in school? Any employers hiring these students part time? What's the workload (homework) like? What kind of luck are people getting jobs after school is over?

Widewoodenwingswork
13th Feb 2009, 11:19
Hey CG. I have posted a bit of info here

http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/361368-lames.html

As far as part time work goes, it would depend on attitude and ability. You might be able to pick up a bit of part time work in a shop, but that would probably be after a while of proving yourself doing 'work experience' (read no pay). The class sizes in my experience were between 15 and 20 and the homework was no drama, you shouldn't have any problem holding down a part time job at night (I delivered pizzas) Avionics guys and gals are in great demand at the moment and somewhere like QIAE or AA will give you a good start. AA gave me mine and I chose them for a reason but you probably better come to your own decision. Let us know how it goes and PM me if you have any more q's! Cheers.

Cirrusly
13th Feb 2009, 11:56
Are you thinking of doing Cert II or IV in avionics aeroskills or Diploma because I was thinking of doing the same? Apparently you could only do these courses at tafe if you were an apprentice or about to start an apprenticeship but I think now you can do it regardless.

canadiangal75
13th Feb 2009, 15:08
Looks like I won't have to worry about the part-time job after all. QIAE has set it all up for me. I will do a certificate 4 followed by a switch to the diploma course. They will send me to work for the overlapping time. And it seems like most of the 1st year is in class and the 2nd year (diploma year) is in the hangar. Still haven't decided if I will do this. It is VERY expensive for an International student... you guys think 5000$ a year is a lot.. you should see my bill! :)

Cirrusly
13th Feb 2009, 22:48
What sort of work will you be doing? Is it working for QIAE? $5000 a year is typical for a year's study at uni doing a bachelor degree. But it sounds pretty good.

canadiangal75
14th Feb 2009, 04:48
Not sure about all the details yet. They just told me this over the phone. I sent in my application and now waiting to be accepted into the program and they will send me the details. But I would be working in the field (hangar) for companies they have contacts with I guess. Not sure if this would be paid work or volunteer work. Like I said, details still need to be ironed out. It's specific in my case as I am an international student and have certain requirements to meet for visas.

And yes you can just enrol in school without having a job.. With aviation australia, QIAE, or ATAE. TAFE seems to work differently.

Yutty
23rd Feb 2009, 05:36
I was wondering what the typical age people getting in the industry was? I'm currently 21 but the program in my city wont be starting until next spring I'll be 22. Wondering if there are any other places besides austrailia that are offering a avionics program or an apprenticeships. I would prefer a place over seas outside of Canada. Please get back to me at yuttyis at msn dot com, thanks......