PDA

View Full Version : The Library

Rollingthunder
5th Feb 2009, 01:43
The internet has turned into my reference library.

Will it become a place to read regular books?

con-pilot
5th Feb 2009, 01:54

I believe Steven King had a book available on the Internet, but you had to pay to read the book. Very few did so.

However, in time I believe so, we will be able read book on the Internet.

Davaar
5th Feb 2009, 02:51

It already is.

For example, see: <http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6941>

pigboat
5th Feb 2009, 02:57
Tom Clancy's newest book will be released online sometime soon. Don't ask me the title or when, because I've forgotten and I can't be arsed to look it up. To me, a book is something to be held in both hands and read at ones leisure, not read off'n a computer monitor. So there. Bleah!

Rollingthunder
5th Feb 2009, 03:07
You do crack me up. I agree.

Currently reading " A History of Manchester" solid book type thing.

Howard Hughes
5th Feb 2009, 03:20
I think if people start to read books on computers, we will see a considerable rise in the number of people needing glasses and suffering from migraines!:eek:

Rollingthunder
5th Feb 2009, 03:23
Too late, computers in the office ruined my eyesight.

Peter Fanelli
5th Feb 2009, 03:30
I tried a digital subscription to Flying Magazine, It sucked!

Apart from anything else it's a pain dragging yer computer into the dunny!

:hmm:

goudie
5th Feb 2009, 12:41
Although, in keeping with many others, I read lots of articles on line and Google excellent as a reference library. However it would never replace reading a good book. I visit the local library every two weeks or so and enjoy seaching for a good book.

angels
5th Feb 2009, 12:57
Yeah, what goudie said.

Off to the library this afternoon as it happens.

VnV2178B
5th Feb 2009, 15:27
Reading on-line is just another way of assimilation: I read everything ('even sauce bottles' to quote daughter) and still crave more.

Mind you I do think I prefer a real book - a computer doesn't feel or SMELL the same, and, as for libraries, all those musty tomes evoke memories (first GF was a librarian...:\)

VnV

mr fish
5th Feb 2009, 16:03
on the toilet, woodbine in gob, copy of racing post, hiding from the foreman.
cannot see a NOTEBOOK or even a LAPTOP replacing this simple and age old "pleasure"!!!

muppetbum
5th Feb 2009, 16:46
No need for a computer to read ebooks. I love my new sony reader. The text on grey background is a lot easier on the eyes than high contrast white paper. I can make the text larger if i don't wanna wear my glasses, and I currently have 200 books stored on it, meaning that I dont get a hernia from carting my Tom Clancys around :)

I lurve it :D

Wheaters
5th Feb 2009, 19:41
I think google have the first few chapters of a huge number of books available. books.google.com...

con-pilot
5th Feb 2009, 19:45
Tom Clancy's newest book will be released online sometime soon. Don't ask me the title or when, because I've forgotten and I can't be arsed to look it up. To me, a book is something to be held in both hands and read at ones leisure, not read off'n a computer monitor. So there. Bleah!

I agree. Double Bleah!!

("So there" double just doesn't have the same ring to it. :p)

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Feb 2009, 20:06
You can't sprawl on the couch with a stick of celery in one hand, a computer in the other and a navel full of salt in which to dip the celery.

Books don't require batteries so if it all goes wahoonie shaped and you're stuck in the bush without power, a computer is of no use except as something to jam into the jaws of a hungry predator while gapping it over the horizon at speed.

BlooMoo
5th Feb 2009, 20:31
Brave New World (http://www.huxley.net/bnw/index.html)