PDA

View Full Version : Which is the most manly drink?

Rwy in Sight
3rd Feb 2009, 23:23
A documentary on the T.V. that just finished reminded me of a long lost loved one, that I really wanted to be with. I decided to have a drink - a manly one- to appreciate what I lost and make sure that it will not be repeated (sp?).

The opions were lager, red wine, whiskey, or vodka. What would you have choosen?

Rwy in Sight

tony draper
3rd Feb 2009, 23:31
Ale of course,drunk from the hollowed out skull of a enemy.:)

Blacksheep
3rd Feb 2009, 23:34
No Rum?

They say a real man drinks half-pints of Atom Bomb - equal measures of rum, tequila and vodka, with a dash of tabasco and shaken not stirred.

Personally, I'd have a whiskey, but only single malt will do.

con-pilot
3rd Feb 2009, 23:42
Scotch, there is no other choice.

birrddog
3rd Feb 2009, 23:50
I'd say any whiskey, though a Single Malt Scotch would be my non-exclusive preference.

galaxy flyer
3rd Feb 2009, 23:54
Jack Daniel's or a Cosmo :p

brickhistory
4th Feb 2009, 00:11
Some of Kentucky's finest with a little water...

or a mojito.

bnt
4th Feb 2009, 00:29
I agree with spirits: anything that makes kiddies screw up their mouths in disgust and takes your breath away. Whisk(e)y is good for that - puts hair on your chest.

Personally, I'm partial to Armagnac. Cognac is good, but this is better for you, and not that expensive either.

airfoilmod
4th Feb 2009, 00:30
In deference to the Great One, Hemlock !

birrddog
4th Feb 2009, 01:12
I agree with spirits: anything that makes kiddies screw up their mouths in disgust and takes your breath away.

Or the missus... saves on the liquor bill... same goes for teaching your wife to shoot (for sport) ;)

Personally, I'm partial to Armagnac. Cognac is good, but this is better for you, and not that expensive either.

Or a good Calvados.... though for putting hair on your chest, nothing beats a good Poire Williams....

I guess all drinks translated into local tongue from 'Water of life' would qualify :ok:

Wod
4th Feb 2009, 01:26
i agree with birrddog - Calvados will sort the men from the boys.

Mind you, in the good old days a beaker of rum with a pinch of gunpowder had a decent repitation.

lomapaseo
4th Feb 2009, 02:37
Based on all the movies a manly drink is anything that makes women and young boys cough and spit.

pigboat
4th Feb 2009, 03:32
Yaarrr mateys. There be nothing better.
http://www.rum.cz/galery/eur/uk/favell/img/uk77.jpg

Howard Hughes
4th Feb 2009, 03:41
Tequila straight up is the 'real mans' drink, but 'gentlemen' drink Scotch!:ok:

dany4kin
4th Feb 2009, 03:54
I remember going to a pub with a mate soon after we were old enough to do so. I ordered a pint (like a real man) and he asked for a lager shandy. On my comment that he sounded a bit girly he changed his order to a white wine spritzer. Still makes me smile to this day.

Scotch every time though.

Or maybe a Vodka Martini shaken not stirred? Never had the bottle (sic) to order one though...

Desert Diner
4th Feb 2009, 05:31
The manly drink has to be beer.

You can have a few and still go back for a manly hard days graft.

The rest of them, are for having while siting on your arse and afterwards you will end up being near usless at doing anything manly anyway.

Rollingthunder
4th Feb 2009, 05:54
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o219/frostedflake_photos/Absinthe-1.jpg

birrddog
4th Feb 2009, 06:18
Very manly RT, very manly.

;)

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Feb 2009, 06:29
What Admiral Draper said.

Those lucky few who knew TK and "Fred" will understand.

driftdown
4th Feb 2009, 06:43
How about a glass or two of Grappa (sp?)

It might be an aquired taste though :}

Light Westerly
4th Feb 2009, 06:49
Rolling Thunder, what is that green stuff?

Crosshair
4th Feb 2009, 06:54
That is the Green Fairy, absinthe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe).

Light Westerly
4th Feb 2009, 07:18
Thank ya kindly Crosshair,
I reckon I'd vote for this. Got some ancestors that enjoyed it.
from: http://wnccb.*************/2008/03/jack-booted-thugs-from-atf-arrest-old.html

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/3252830758_17b1619801_o.jpg

Tyres O'Flaherty
4th Feb 2009, 08:47
Fullers 1845

unstable load
4th Feb 2009, 08:49
Being a manly type of bloke, the most manly drink would by definition be whatever I happen to have in my grubby mitts at the time.;)

Unless I happen to be on a diet and are quaffing something like xxxxxxx and soda/coke/ginger ale etc.

Must be pure and unadulterated by anything but a smidgen of ice for some or spring water for a Single Malt

Blacksheep
4th Feb 2009, 08:56
If quaffing absinthe leads to one being embraced by a naked fairy, then its not the drink for me. :=

Being a manly type of bloke..... .... Unless I happen to be on a dietI'm sorry, I'll read that again. :confused:

Rollingthunder
4th Feb 2009, 08:58
Then you have not lived?

Green fairies are all the rage.

Blacksheep
4th Feb 2009, 09:01
Never lived?

I've been everywhere and tried almost everything including trying to satisfy Eskimo Nell, but I do draw the line at anything green... :}

Howard Hughes
4th Feb 2009, 09:10
Green fairies are all the rage.
Yeah ten years ago...:E

I thought it was Jaegermeister that is 'all the rage' amongst the Gen Y'ers!;)

seanbean
4th Feb 2009, 10:04
Manly drinking may be defined as the bulk consumption of pints of English bitter; everything else is mere folly, vanity and limp wristed gay bar loitering. Man up!

Howard Hughes
4th Feb 2009, 10:06
English Bitter? Surely you jest poncy boy?:}

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Feb 2009, 10:13
Definitely not that Oz Little Miss Fizzy attempt at a real bitter.

Real ale from the skulls of your enemies as suggested by Mr D.:ok:

It should be quaffed with expansive gestures, roars of laughter and a great deal of spillage upon those around you. Horned helmet and axe is optional.

seanbean
4th Feb 2009, 10:26
English Bitter? Surely you jest poncy boy?:}

Not the stuff you buy in cans at your local off licence or supermarket, but the proper stuff - like Archbishop's Testicle (complete with tadpoles, serious risk of blindness/dementia and not a drop sold until it's at least 8hrs old..).

The sort of stuff I'm talking about here has been the major contributor to England's real national sports for the last 800 years - binge drinking and a propensity for casual violence.

goudie
4th Feb 2009, 10:46
Lots of manly opinions here but the drink of choice has to be the original, Navy pussers rum, as purchased in the W. Indies, which my old man drank undiluted when he was in the Navy.
I prefer a single malt though.

Cheerio
4th Feb 2009, 11:17
As Billy Connolly recounted....

Two Glasgow Celtic fans go on holiday to Rome to see the Vatican.
On arrival they head for the nearest bar.

'Tae pints o' heavy pal'
'Sorry we don't serve heavy Signor'
'Well we'll hae whitever the Pope drinks'
'He has the occasional Creme de Menthe signor'
'Well gie us tae pints o' that than!'

Several hours and pints of Creme de Menthe later the Celtic fans find themselves lying in an alleyway, throbbing heads, covered in green vomit and urine.

'Whit happened Jimmy?'
'I dinna ken, we wis drinkin they stuff the Pope drinks'
'Jeezuz, nae wunner they carry him aboot in a chair'

Scumbag O'Riley
4th Feb 2009, 11:29
Gotta be a rough scrumpy. The kind where they know it's ready when only the rat's tail is left undissolved and they won't serve it in anything larger than a half pint.

To be chased with a fine mead.

27mm
4th Feb 2009, 12:33
Lapsang Souchong, with a slice of lemon, from a Sevres china cup...alternatively, Aquavit with a rollmops floating in it...

Squeegee Longtail
4th Feb 2009, 12:36
A Mexican Bollockshaker - half pint of Guiness mixed with half pint of cider, topped with a shot of brandy.
I had three once, but I can't remember the outcome.

Cheerio
4th Feb 2009, 12:39
If we are going all Latino how about a Glasgow Tequila slammer?

You squirt the lemon in your eyes, sniff the salt and knock back the tequila. Magic!

helimutt
4th Feb 2009, 12:44
was recently bought some whiskey, a single malt, 1968 vintage, for my 40th birthday. Didn't open it to try it on the day as I thought i'd save it for a special occasion!!!

Hope something comes up soon! I really want to try it. Only men drink single malt. I don't think i've ever met a woman who likes neat whiskey. Just as well. :ok:

Wod
4th Feb 2009, 13:05
We're well into page 2 and nobody has mentioned Pina Colada.

Why is this so??:E

BarbiesBoyfriend
4th Feb 2009, 13:20
Sainsbury do a 2 1/2 litre flagon of Cloudy Scrumpy. 7.5% Lovely drink that's unlikely to appeal to Ladies. Come to think of it, in Glasgow it just might.:)

How about the Wife beater then? Draft WB rarely drunk by women.

Overall tho, never seen a woman who appreciates a good glug of Macallan-as it comes.

Although this is a discussion about manly drinks, as an aside, I love a girl that takes a good drink!:ok::D:D:D

Blacksheep
4th Feb 2009, 13:27
Re; 1968 vintage. Unlike wine, Whiskey doesn't improve with age once its in the bottle.

Cask strength is another matter, but the contents lose a little alcohol content with each passing year due to evaporation through the wood, the loss being known to distillers as "The Angels' Share". A 1968 cask would taste of the wood and be much less potent than a twenty year old. Fifteen years in the cask seems to be the limit for best quality. I find the eighteen year olds too "oaky" for my taste.

RJM
4th Feb 2009, 13:29
That, er, 57.1% alc/vol for the London Dock rum is damned impressive, pigboat. Some of our Australian beers aren't even that strong! :8

Blacksheep
4th Feb 2009, 13:32
Give over! Yer typical Orstralian beer has the same gravity as an Englishman's urine on a Sunday morning. :}

CargoMatatu
4th Feb 2009, 14:35
A fine Real Ale, as it can be chugged in a truly manly manner :)

The others are for sipping. But when I'm in a sipping mood, a nice single malt will do the trick :ok:

goudie
4th Feb 2009, 14:55
A fine Real Ale, as it can be chugged in a truly manly manner

Being a Real Ale manly sort of chap I would agree. Women can't down a drink the way men can. Though I once knew a WRAF Nurse who could down a pint of Guiness and then down several more. She were bl**dy awesome.

merlinxx
4th Feb 2009, 15:45
Good old fashioned Saudi home sorted SID, 100% proof after triple distilled:ok:

Hurts though:mad::{:{

Flash2001
4th Feb 2009, 17:08
It is said that when offered Scotch whiskey, Lt. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner USA responded: "Not in the presence of Bourbon".

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

Lon More
4th Feb 2009, 17:39
Stella, NO - the worst belgian beer available.
Guinness - no, unless you're Irish. BTW the sceptics add food colouring to turn it green for St. P's day -YUK. The Germans love it so much they mix it wih Coke. YUK x2
English traditional ales - only when wearing a cravat and accompanied by several labradors and a little lady in a twinset.
Single malt - at a pinch

However a real man drinks his own urine.

Captain Speedbird
4th Feb 2009, 17:42
I suppose it's better than drinking someone elses.

goudie
4th Feb 2009, 17:46
I suppose it's better than drinking someone elses

Well some people do. That's probably why I've often had the p!ss taken out of me

fhegner
4th Feb 2009, 17:48
Cyanide/soda..ice no bar

rotornut
4th Feb 2009, 17:50
Fen Chiew?
I haven't tried it but I suspect it comes with a guaranteed hangover:yuk:

mr fish
4th Feb 2009, 18:10
for special events etc, in my house we have a bottle of ALCOOL.
bought from spain and 95% alchohol!!!!
of course the only reason its not 100% is because its hydroscopic,
the last time it was used was a neighbours party where some wimps were daring each other to shot drink FINNISH vodka at "only" 65%.
oh, and its great for cleaning road tar from car bumpers etc!!!!

Alloa Akbar
4th Feb 2009, 18:46
Ye bunch o' fannies..10 pints of Tennents and then a good fecht.. braw!!

birrddog
4th Feb 2009, 18:50

Wod, or any drink with an umbrella and a large piece of fruit ;)

Only mainly if you drink it in your finest pink tutu and tights.

Beatriz Fontana
4th Feb 2009, 18:51
Draft WB rarely drunk by women

That's because, speaking for myself here, women like to actually taste something.

None of this pondwater nonsense. Has to be a real ale. Sharps Doombar for instance, or the rather marvellous Black Sheep Riggwelter (known as Deadbaa in some parts). Draught, not bottle, naturally.

Rounded off with several tots of Woods rum.

First to fall over pays the bar bill.

seanbean
4th Feb 2009, 19:09
Monty Python's Flying Circus - "Australian Table Wines" [ from the album Monty Python's Previous Record, 1972 ] The Players: Eric Idle - Wine Expert; The Scene: Soft introduction music plays ..... WINE EXPERT: A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain. Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines. Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn. Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour. Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding. Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat. Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends. Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

BAMRA wake up
4th Feb 2009, 19:26
It's whisky, not whiskey, at least in Scotland! It's manly when drunk in the morning as a contribution to internal central heating. Combine with the Harris Tweed suit and you can live in comfort indoors in ambient temperatures around zero, at least that's what a fair proportion of the landed gentry used to do in Scotland, and they had the complexion and credit history to match.

mustpost
4th Feb 2009, 19:42
Thread drift alert - OK it's not a man drink (strictly speaking) - but could we consider this? :O

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/mustpost/image002.jpg

Seriously, could one (and friends) suggest a few of these if it's a case of last man standing...
Our Brands - Marston's - Old Empire - Marston's Beer Company (http://www.marstonsbeercompany.co.uk/our_brands/marstons/oldempire.asp)

Worked for us (OK me then) p**fs one and all - NOT a session beer. :=

gingernut
4th Feb 2009, 19:45
Out in the boozer-proper real ale, although the Mrs has become a bit partial to the odd glass.

PPruning- A couple of glasses of "wife beater," known in these parts as Fella's aretwats...." :)

goudie
4th Feb 2009, 19:54
Mustpost has it. A Bloody Mary comes to mind. If you drink them continuously they have to become stronger each time, the last one, before falling over is liquid fire.

V2-OMG!
4th Feb 2009, 19:56
Okay. A drink or two with good conversation is "manly," but getting sloshed is not!

There is nothing "manly" about getting trapped in a corner by some guy who is pi$$ed to the eyeballs - blabbering and spittin' all over you....and trying to copp a feel to boot!

Do you think that amuses this woman???

goudie
4th Feb 2009, 20:01
Manly men never drink wiv de wimmen

Ancient Mariner
4th Feb 2009, 20:14
Akkevitt, preferably one that has crossed the Equator.
Per

mustpost
4th Feb 2009, 20:37
Totally correct :D
A local publican friend brought back a Bloody Mary recipe which did include the kitchen sink, sherry, etc, but famously added extra heat with wasabi paste.

'Many were called, but few returned' :}

BTW not totally in tune with the 'manly men' bit tho'

V2-OMG!
4th Feb 2009, 20:40
Manly men never drink wiv de wimmen.

Thanks so much goudie. I'm a little slow on the uptake when it comes to these genderfied tribal rituals.

Maybe I should start one for "de wimmen."

Beatriz Fontana
4th Feb 2009, 20:41
famously added extra heat with wasabi pasteOooh, just had a hideous flashback to a cocktail sesh that became, shall we say, experimental to say the least.

It was a very difficult morning after but legendary.

I would like to point out that I would at no time attempt to keep up with the blokes when it comes to the art of liver pickling. At times, it is best to call an early retreat and watch the ensuing carnage from afar.

helimutt
4th Feb 2009, 20:41
visited the Glen Garrioch distillery recently and the guy showing us around was very knowledgable. Angels share etc etc. We tried the raw product (bit similar to moonshine really) and he explained about the cask ages etc.
We tried different years and I preferred the older one, 25yrs old over the 12yr old malt.
Horses for courses.
It'll still get me pi%%ed!

Sir George Cayley
4th Feb 2009, 20:46
Aquavit Line. Taken from the far North over the Equator and back. Warms the cockles of ones hard:ok:

But, listen up children - the test of a manly drink can be found near England in't noble country called Yorkshire.

There, one finds small brown bottles of beer with red foil tops. The name? Old Tom. And, in that triangle between Huddersfield, Dewsbury an Rotherham those Public Houses wot stock it can occaisionaly be persuaded to accept the
"MOST MANLY OF CHALLENGES":uhoh::uhoh:

You see, it's quite expensive and also quite moorish. So Landlords of good heart with a keen sense of humour will, if mood taks 'em rieght, offer a wager to the likely lad.

Drink 1 bottle and pay for it. Nowt more sed.

Drink 4 bottles and walk out unaided an all are for free :{:{:{:{:{

to date less than a handfull of MEN have.:p

Manly? You mamby pamby southerners (an colonials) know **** all.

Anyway, can't sit here all night typing, it's time for me Horlicks and Hotty.

Sir George Cayley

merlinxx
4th Feb 2009, 20:47
As is me habit, a few Adnams Broadside at lunch, snow never felt so soft:E:E:ok:

Beatriz Fontana
4th Feb 2009, 20:56
OK, stop it now. Another bad memory. Old Tom tastes delicious but is not for the delicate. Pure class in a glass (short a, not long southern ar).

Now then, when it comes to strong beer, don't fall for the marketing. Sam Adams Utopia (http://www.internetwines.com/rws28347.html) ain't beer. It's pondwater. Expensive 27% alcoholic pondwater. :yuk:

goudie
4th Feb 2009, 21:01
I always shaythaifaman can't, can't......... I always shay thaifaman can't 'ole is sdriink 'e 'as noplacenoplace shrinkin in the fesht place

rotornut
4th Feb 2009, 22:27
And then there's Stroh Rum 160 proof. No, it's not for sippin' - it's definitely to be mixed. In Austria its mainly used to make jaegertee - tea, sugar, Stroh Rum and perhaps a few other ingredients. Very nice on a cold winter day!

Lagavulin, an Islay malt - you either love it or hate it but better to hate it as it's gotten pretty pricey here in Canada. Also, Laphroaig, similar to Lagavulin but also expensive compared to what it was a few years ago.

And for you UK people who think it's cold take a look at the weather in lovely Hall Beach: Hall Beach Airport - Past 24 Hour Conditions - Environment Canada (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/24_hour_conditions_e.html?yux&unit=m)

Howard Hughes
4th Feb 2009, 22:44
Originally Posted by Wod

I'm surprised that Buster has not yet joined in to tell us how 'Fluffy Ducks' are the most manly of mens beverages...:E

Disclaimer: I've given up trying to get the apostrophe's right!;)

Atlas Shrugged
4th Feb 2009, 22:59
Nah...he's probably still sittin' in the heat sipping on a Strawberry Swirl or two! ;)

ShyTorque
4th Feb 2009, 23:16
That's because, speaking for myself here, women like to actually taste something.

I'll desist from my fish pun at this point.... :oh:

Ten West
5th Feb 2009, 00:10
Sounds like several of you will soon be contrbuting to this thread:

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > The Badger's ARRSE > > Now That's What I Call NAAFI Bar > > 3 Sh1ts for the price of one (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=44446.html)

Most definitely NOT for the faint-of-heart, but extremely amusing. :E

ONTPax
5th Feb 2009, 00:26
Everclear, chug-a-lugged straight from the bottle, served at room temperature.

No need for this mamby-pamby "shaken, not stirred" nonsense.

The stuff is so potent you're limited as to where you can buy it. ;)

Everclear (alcohol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everclear_(alcohol)))

ONTPax

pzu
5th Feb 2009, 00:39
Drapes

Have you tried SKULLSPLITTER from Orkney it's only 8.5%

BBC NEWS | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Brewery's Skull Splitter headache (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7622658.stm)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

birrddog
5th Feb 2009, 01:34
Well, it's a good job they have just discovered how to make an artificial liver!

Slashdot | FDA Testing Artificial Liver (http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/04/2320250&from=rss)

Anyway, back to my Dalwhinnie 15 yo.

unstable load
5th Feb 2009, 01:36
There's a small brewery down in Cape Town that does a batch at a time of a brew they call "Old Wobbly" and it's rumoured to be around 15%, but I can't remember the niceties of things like octane ratings after trying it.

All I can say is that it's damn fine stuff and kicks like a mule if overdone.

Rollingthunder
5th Feb 2009, 01:39
Love that scene in "Local Hero" when McIntyre asks for the 42 year old whisky at the bar.

Oh, sir we don't have any of that at the moment.

Well give me two 15 year olds and a twelve year old.

or words to that effect

birrddog
5th Feb 2009, 02:13
RT, I tried explaining that logic to the Judge, but he didn't buy it either :E

unclenelli
6th Feb 2009, 01:52
Get down Blockbusters and get a copy of "Withnail & I" on DVD.

Switch on TV
Slot in DVD
Press Play
Try & Keep up!!!!!!!

Total
nine and a half glasses of red wine
half a pint of cider
one shot of lighter fluid
two and a half shots of gin
six glasses of sherry
thirteen glasses of whisky
half a pint of ale

CityofFlight
6th Feb 2009, 02:12
A fine aged bourbon, straight up.

Adz09
6th Feb 2009, 12:12
SID, be jesus, now that is the drink of champions, as a kid when pops worked in Yanbu, Saudi i had a drink of that, never been the same since.

I have another suggestion though:

Irish Car Bomb - Half a guiness with a shot of jamesons, then plunge a shot of baileys to the bottom. Got to be downed before it curdles.

Scoggy
6th Feb 2009, 22:15
Of choice, a fine rough, dry zider. So dry you have to drink another to help you swallow the first one.

Guinness Export.

Gold Label Barley Wine.

An Islay malt.

Potcheen.

Toilet Duck...

unstable load
7th Feb 2009, 02:24
Potcheen, Oooooooh YES! Forgot about that one!

Thanks for the memories!:D

birrddog
7th Feb 2009, 03:25
naw, that's amateur hour..

Real men drink Witblitz / Mampoer!

(Witblits = white lightning)

Lancelot37
7th Feb 2009, 06:50
A good Single Malt. Any, or preferably all od these.

Glenmorangie, Jura, The Glenlivet, Aberfeldy (http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/aberfeldy.htm), Craigellachie (http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/craigellachie.htm)