PDA

View Full Version : Great Britain: Civil war declaration - Scotland Vs. the rest of the UK (and NI)?

airship
3rd Feb 2009, 14:42
It looks like the RSPCA and the Scots equivalent (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7865965.stm), the SSPCA are officially at war...?!

We live in troubled times I'll admit. The current global economic downturn / recession affects Ford / GM / Airbus etc., though I must confess, hitherto, I thought that animal lovers generally cooperated and somehow amalgamated their resources.

I was obviously wrong.

According to the BBC report:

In 2007, the RSPCA raised 114m with an advertising budget of 17m.
In 2007, the SSPCA raised 10m with an advertising budget of 160,000.

So who's better at fund-raising? :}

Having said that, I'd be more comfortable discussing rates of 're-homing'...?! :sad:

We're several hundred thousands of PPRuNeRs here by now. Mostly high-income individuals, with families and pets. And those who often donate to animal rights and rescue organisations.

So, WTF is going on?! :eek:

sisemen
3rd Feb 2009, 14:51
Stuart Early, the CEO of the SSPCA said, "It doesn't make any kind of sense for two organisations, who are basically after the same ends and share the same ideals, to be competing for scarce cash in this day and age. As the smaller organisation we have, therefore, decided to amalgamate with the RSPCA in full partnership dedicated to the aim of alleviating suffering in animals within the United Kingdom"

Yeah, I'd like to see that!

airship
3rd Feb 2009, 15:20
sisemen, Stuart Early, the CEO of the SSPCA said, "It doesn't make any kind of sense for two organisations, who are basically after the same ends and share the same ideals, to be competing for scarce cash in this day and age. As the smaller organisation we have, therefore, decided to amalgamate with the RSPCA in full partnership dedicated to the aim of alleviating suffering in animals within the United Kingdom" Would you care to give us the link to the original statement? Only, it's a lttle stinky, otherwise.

I believe most people would admit a fondness for dogs ,cats and whatever. In troubled times such as today, those of us who continue to do our bit for these animals require a bit more in return than the genaralised squabbling that appears to be the case. IMHO, it would be enough that a single RSPCA or SSPCA employee, founder, member or volunteer earned any pension as a result of donations in order to stop forthwith any and all donations to such organisations. Yes, it's "Ruff-ruff", another of my dog impressions. :uhoh:

brickhistory
3rd Feb 2009, 15:23
Britain has a rich tradition of poaching and the like - "stealing the King's hares" or the like I believe were the charges of old.

Surely, in times of economic strife, traditions can be resurrected?

Corgi! It's what's for dinner!*

*play on a US beef lobbying group's commercials

ZH875
3rd Feb 2009, 16:24
In 2007, the SSPCA raised 10m with an advertising budget of 160,000.

The advertising against the RSPCA cost 62.5% of the 2007 advertising budget This SSPCA advertising campaign cost 100,000And there is no way you can ever make me believe that any Scot could mistake the RSPCA and SSPCA and how the heck do you prize pound coins from a Scot in the first place.

There are other Scottish and English/Welsh unfairnesses as well, like the amount of money that the Government gives to Scotland in preference to England/Wales, but the Scots will not worry about that one.

The only two good things to come out of Scotland are Whisky and the Wife.

BlooMoo
3rd Feb 2009, 20:50
"stealing food from the mouths" of animals north of the border

The SNP are probably kicking themselves that a key slogan for their Spring marketing campaign has already hit the public domain.

airship
3rd Feb 2009, 21:39
BlooMoo's comment got me thinking. You have to wonder if (or when) the mildly-expressed xenophobia over jobs and foreign workers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7866614.stm) might spill over into the row between the RSPCA and SSPCA...? I can imagine it already:

SSPCA to deport non-Scottish breeds, whilst funding dispute continues. "Wi cannae goon wi'this" a spokesman said, before declaring that henceforth and with immediate effect, the following breeds would all be sent south of the border for further handling: Airedale terriers; English Cocker / Springer / King Charles spaniels, foxhounds, mastiffs, pointers and setters; Jack Russells; Olde English sheepdogs (of whatever age); Staffs. and Yorkshire terriers etc.

In a tit-for-tat retort, the RSPCA threatened to send the following back to where they originated: Bearded collies; Golden retreivers; Scottish and West Highland terriers; Gordon setters and Brown. :ok:

frostbite
3rd Feb 2009, 21:45
If I was cynical, I might even think this was designed to gain a load of free publicity, which it has.

BlooMoo
3rd Feb 2009, 22:28
Which is the business model of the SNP. Their 'popularity' has been bought for free, by exploiting the 'it's England's fault' rather than the 'it's our fault' come clean angle. This has got the SNP as far as having a minority administrative, and thankfully restricted, power under devolution by the proverbial 'skin of their teeth'.

From this stratospheric ceiling of their perceived popularity they are now coming to realise that the blame game is becoming less and less effective. Sure, they can still blame England for everything with 'negative vote potential' in Scotland but their time is coming to an end and they know it but they realistically see years of their snouts in the devolution trough ahead of them before that time.

At best for them they've managed to fool some of the people some of the time which as far as salmon is concerned, simply job done in his lifetime. The snivelling little pr!ck.