PDA

View Full Version : Working in Bahrain.

leewan
3rd Feb 2009, 12:38
Hi, my company preparing to send eng & techs to service GF a/c in the Bahrain and I am thinking of going as well. I was wondering what is the cost of living in Bahrain and what is the hangar facilities like in Bahrain ? How are the Bahraini ppl( dunno if this is the correct term) like and how is the life like in Bahrain in general ?

mitzy69
4th Feb 2009, 17:17
depends what you are used to. no crime no poverty no germs to catch, hot in summer.
liberal, with a few pubs and bars to go to. not as nice as Dubai.
a few hangars, but not big enough for a B747.

leewan
5th Feb 2009, 10:51
Thanks Mitzy69 !How abt the cost of living ? How much does an average meal cost ? And does it practice Islamic law like Saudi Arabia ? T

mitzy69
5th Feb 2009, 13:48
not as bad as Saudi or Kuwait. women are allowed to drive. beer in bars and can buy spirits and wine and cases of beer in special shops.
Western films at cinema.
food and restaurant prices are more expensive than UK but then you will be on a tax free salary or allowances.
I left BAH 6 years ago so thing will have changed. lots of Malls to do shopping in.

lastmanstanding
5th Feb 2009, 16:14
It's been a few years but it is a Magic place. A bit lower key than DXB,AUH and a bit older thought there is lots of development going on , but not to the same extent as DXB.
You can eat out for as cheap or expensive as you like. There is only the usual ramadan restrictions on eating and drinking.
Big western style supermarkets in the malls. Carrefour or auchen I do seem to remember. Adliya district has good eateries for all tastes and a few hotel based bars.
A Friday brunch is well worth it at the Diplomat/Crowne Plaza or the Ritz Carlton. All you can eat buffets with usually freeflowing fizz for about 15-20BD. ph.
Decent gold souk and gold mall. A few Western style shopping malls which occasionally do very good sales. Locals are friendly enough. Use Bahrain Limos as cabs if you can. All Mercs and on the meter. Saves the haggling etc with the standard ones. Gotta book them though. Enjoy!!

Perrin
6th Feb 2009, 08:56
Question? whats it like working for Saudia in Ruh now, pay housing etc?:confused:

leewan
9th Feb 2009, 10:38
Thanks alot guys !