PDA

View Full Version : Branson considers his own pilots not so good?

Guava Tree
3rd Feb 2009, 12:35
U.S. Airways better keep a close eye on their heroic pilot, Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger. In fact, a bonus may be in order.
Virgin Air kabillionaire Richard Branson wants to steal Sully and is willing to make him an offer the talented pilot can't refuse.
I’d like him to come fly for us,” Branson told the N.Y. Daily News LA-based reporter Leah Sydney. “We’ll make him the best-paid pilot at Virgin — we’ll give him double [the salary of] anybody else. He also can become one of the astronauts in my intergalactic spaceship company. The man can write his own ticket with me.”
Told of the offer, Sullenberger sounded interested.
“That’s amazing,” said the “Miracle on the Hudson” pilot who saved the lives of 155 people when he landed a jetliner in the icy Hudson River on Jan. 15. “I hadn’t heard that. I will be happy to entertain all the things that are coming my way.”
Sullenberger will no doubt get a heroes standing ovation with his Flight 1549 crew at today’s Super Bowl.
Branson says that Sully’s cool actions were breathtaking. "Every single thing he could have done right, he did right — from the second he made that decision not to go to that local airport, to put the plane down in the water, to the way he looked after everybody.”
Branson knows from near-death flight experiences.
“Pulling the wrong rip cord on a sky dive," he told Sydney. "Crashing into the sea five times. Landing in the Arctic in a balloon when I was meant to land in Los Angeles. I’ve been rescued numerous times by helicopters.”
Branson definitely needs Sully on his team.

Virgin Air's Richard Branson to Chesley Sullenberger: Come fly for me! | The Dish Rag | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/02/virgin-air-rich.html)

Max Angle
3rd Feb 2009, 12:40
we’ll give him double [the salary of] anybody else.

Sorry to say he would probably still be better off at a US major I would have thought.

hughesyd
3rd Feb 2009, 13:15
I dont think Branson is having a go at his own pilots, in fact if you read his latest book, he suggests that Virgin only recruit the best pilots they can find with thousands of hours on type and plenty of experience.

Hats off to Sully and all the crew for doing a good job as far as im concerned, im sure many would have done the same, there is no saying the outcome would have been the same.

he saved lives, thats what counts.

Khaosai
3rd Feb 2009, 13:18
Hi Max Angle,

dont think your are right there regarding being better off in a US major. That would be at least in the region of 450 000 USD per year !.

Rgds.

thrashley
3rd Feb 2009, 13:18
I can see that Richard Branson appreciates the high skills of Capt. Sullenberger..

Can you show me the bit where he doesn't think his pilots are any good, like your title describes..???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

lazycat
3rd Feb 2009, 13:24
Mr Branson has never been one to shy away from publicity though has he? :)

angels
3rd Feb 2009, 13:29
lazycat - you beat me to it.

Anyone know if he is type-rated on the 744?!

RAT 5
3rd Feb 2009, 14:10
If it's just happened it's a part of history.

johnriketes
3rd Feb 2009, 14:15
What Branson said is, in other words, a 2 fingered salute to his own pilots and seniority. Probably the worst bit of man management I have heard in a long time. He knows he can get away with it now of course, as he will need to shed a load of pilots soon.

Not taking anything away from Scully and the crew as was unlucky with the birds but got lucky in the end. We all need a bit of luck in this business and he (THEY) had it that day. Also he did his job right. Good for him. What would be a test of his metal, would he take the job, should he be offered?

As for whiskers employing the best pilots. Well I'm not so sure about that to be quite honest, as I have flown with one or 2 that have made the cut with VS and one for sure I would not have given a command of anything. Oh yes he certainly had the right "tools" to get the job but as for being the best, no way IMHO.

Guava Tree
3rd Feb 2009, 14:23
Trashley said in post number 11 of this thread:
"I can see that Richard Branson appreciates the high skills of Capt. Sullenberger..
Can you show me the bit where he doesn't think his pilots are any good, like your title describes..???"

My answer is I never said he thinks his pilots are any good (as you said), or not any good.
My title was "Branson considers his pilots are not so good ?"
Means to say perhaps Branson thinks his pilots are only , at the most, only half as good as Captain Sully. Why does Guava say that?
Well Branson wants to pay Captain Sully " double [the salary of] anybody else" and the corollary of that is he wants to pay his own pilots only half or less of the salary that he would pay Captain Sully. That means to say that he thinks that not one of his pilots is half as good as Captain Sully.
Branson's pilots have been fortunate , or perhaps unfortunate , not to have been tested by this kind of spectacular event.
Guava is surprised to see such appalling man management exhibited by our Richard.

We all know that Captain Sully did a most excellent job, but this thread is intended to be about Branson considering his own pilots to be relatively useless.

Dan Winterland
3rd Feb 2009, 14:40
"In last weeks Flight International, it was reported that it was the F/O was the the Flying Pilot, and Capt. S. was the NFP, so I guess it was the F/O who did the landing right????"

The F/O may have been the handling pilot on departure, but once the RAT was deployed, the left hand seat occupant would have had to be the PF as only the left hand displays would have been powered in the Emergency Electrical Configuration.

I used to be an employee of Sir RB. I can't say I had the impression he held us in high regard, because at the time he was trying to sack about 40% of us. I just remeber flying him to Hong Kong and him coming up to the flight deck and breaking what he thought was the good news that things post 9/11 weren't as bad as they thought and they could offer a lot of us our jobs back. It seemed a bit of a dissapointment to him that all four of us had accepted other jobs and were intent on leaving.

A point I hope he's considering while he's mulling over redundancies in the current economic climate.

MPH
3rd Feb 2009, 14:46
I't is very unlikely that a double engine failure occurs. But, when it does their are not many options. Th US Airways crew were lucky that the weather conditions were in this crew's favor and he could actually make a plan i.e the river. With the rate of decent it look's like their were not many options. The flying skills are not in question!

thrashley
3rd Feb 2009, 15:13
We all know that Captain Sully did a most excellent job, but this thread is intended to be about Branson considering his own pilots to be relatively useless.

Utter tosh.

As John R says, the inferences you are drawing are ludicrous.

Perhaps Guava should go away and think about what Guava says a bit more, shouldn't Guava..?

merlinxx
3rd Feb 2009, 15:22
So Dickie doesn't appreciate that Tim brought the 340 into EGLL with the :mad:ed
main gear then ?:ugh::ugh:

llondel
3rd Feb 2009, 15:23
Does anyone know what he said after the G-VSKY incident back in November 1997? That's the one that scraped up the tarmac at Heathrow after some of the main gear got hung up due to leaving an important pin off the end of the LAX runway. It was an immaculate landing under the circumstances.

DeDoyler
3rd Feb 2009, 15:23
Remember that Sully is also a consultant. If RB employed him as such he would cost more than double any Pilot. RB is looking beyond his flying skills. He'd be getting a lot for his ROI IMHO.

Guava Tree
3rd Feb 2009, 15:39
"Facetious" is obviously a word that "John R"(post number 25 on this thread) uses with abandon against people who do not exactly agree with him, but it appears that "John R" does not exactly know the meaning of "facetious" . Perhaps he needs to refer to a dictionary.
In fact I am not joking, I am very serious and I understand our Richard to be a man who says what he means and means what he says, so no need to talk about "figures of speech". It doesn't wash.
Richard's remarks may have been ill considered, but they were certainly an insult to his own crews.
Is he losing his grip, or has he only lost his touch?
It doesn't look good to me.

Ex Cargo Clown
3rd Feb 2009, 15:45
Well that's me decided, I'm only ever going to fly on an aircraft which has Sully in command. Clearly he is of a far higher standard than his peers :ugh: :ugh:

Failing that, any chance BA can drag Eric Moody from retirement, I might consider them as well then.

I know Branson loves his publicity but this (if true) is complete and utter :mad:

stormin norman
3rd Feb 2009, 16:55
“Pulling the wrong rip cord on a sky dive," he told Sydney. "Crashing into the sea five times. Landing in the Arctic in a balloon when I was meant to land in Los Angeles. I’ve been rescued numerous times by helicopters.”

Just a shame he dosn't offer all the rescue service people jobs (with a pay freeze of course!)

kotakota
3rd Feb 2009, 17:41
Lets face it - the great bearded publicity machine must have been hopping mad when he found out that the successful ditching everybody was raving about did not involve one of his own aircraft / crew.
Smacks of his attempts to 'buy' Concorde , maybe fly it once , and then maybe ground it forever with the VS logo on it.
Can't help himself .

Machaca
3rd Feb 2009, 18:53
is the likely offer:
SFO hub (near his home)
320's in the fleet
$120/hr for captain = $240/hr for Sully
Spaceport America within commuting distance

bugg smasher
3rd Feb 2009, 21:25
Don't think so Machaca, messing with seniority is a big apple-cart turner this side of the pond.

The Virgin Galactic thing might fly though, RB would have a resident hero on staff, lots of publicity there, and he's already a proven glider pilot, a rocket right up his alley, so to speak.

Loose rivets
3rd Feb 2009, 21:51
If I'd just done something nifty like Sully, the last thing I'd want is a lot of publicity.

Let's see you do that again fella. Or later in the sim, "Okay Captain %200, let's see your best performance. Oh, and shortly after take-off, I will be failing two of your engines. The fact that it's a twin shouldn't faze you." :hmm:

I'd really want to keep me head down.

We all need a bit of luck in this business and he (THEY) had it that day.

Lucky pilots? A tale from my old boss in the 60s.

A harassed chief-pilot puts half of a huge stack of job applications in the bin. "The last thing I want is unlucky pilots."

crewrest
3rd Feb 2009, 22:07
I suspect most Virgin pilots wouldn't give a hoot about RB's comments.

Anti-ice
3rd Feb 2009, 22:44
Absolutely the merest hint of hopping on to a PR bandwagon,who always pops up ? :*

Why does he NEED this guy, sure he's a hero,but shouldn't he be giving his own staff some credit?

Oh, i remembered, wasn't it him that said 'go to Tescos' to his cabin crew when they tried for the last time to get their below market salaries lifted? Nice.

belloldtimer
4th Feb 2009, 00:16
I've just read what Branson said and take him at his word on the face of it he appears to be in awe as we all are of Sully's skill. I know there are a whole lot of ego's out there and loads of testosterone but give the guy his due, he's a brilliant businessman who's made money beyond what any one of us will ever make. Is it just that everyone is soooo jealous of his success that you have to find a way to insult the guy. I for one would love to work for such a man, someone who appreciates what others are capable of. God knows I've worked for ungreatful people all my life with the exception of Panam where I had the awsome privlege of meeting Mr. Pan Am himself, (Juan Trippe) who was another person who appreciated good work and acknowledged it.

Let histrory be your guide, let what you do speak for itself and let what others do speak for them. The true measure of a person!:D:D

johnriketes
4th Feb 2009, 05:02
belloldtimer

I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that he is an incredibly successful businessman.

Let me run this one past you if I may. If you had been employed by an owner of an aircraft for e.g. and you had been with him say 20 years, given faithful service, clean record etc. One day out of the blue, your boss says you aren't needed anymore so I'm letting you go. You may ask why? What have I done wrong, you selling the a/c? No, no comes the reply, I've just hired some hero I know of from the media. How would you react to the scenario? Kids growing up, mortgaged to hilt. Would you think he was a nice guy?

That is effectively what RB is saying. Someone will will have to be sacrificed to make way for the new guy.

I would not jump a que and stand on toes, as I have a conscience but that is another story.

Light Westerly
4th Feb 2009, 06:44
Maybe Mr. Branson considers his own current pilots just fine.
Perhaps he'd like to hire Captain Sully in order to increase publicity for Virgin?
Perhaps increased publicity for Virgin would lead to more business for Virgin?
Perhaps that would be a good thing for Virgin?
Perhaps that would be a good thing for Virgin pilots?

RevMan2
4th Feb 2009, 06:50
@johnriketes

What Branson said is, in other words, a 2 fingered salute to his own pilots and seniority. Probably the worst bit of man management I have heard in a long time

Rubbish.

What Branson's doing (and what he's done throughout his entire business career) is garnering headlines.

Look at what we're doing - talking about him.

Exactly what he wants.

And more power to his elbow

olster
4th Feb 2009, 09:00
Sully was great;so was Tim with the partial gear up @ LHR -equally good,actually.

finncapt
4th Feb 2009, 09:01
Whatever happened to that lady who was taking RB to court for harassment?

That story appeared the day the Virgin Megastore was opening in New York.

unablereqnavperf
4th Feb 2009, 10:45
johnriketes,

Be my guest go work for the media mad wooliepully and you'll find out the facts of why he is such a successful business man. I have been laid off 2 twice(fool I know) by companies he has set up and as soon as there are no headlines to grab your dust! His morals are questionable to say the best!

Sir Donald
4th Feb 2009, 11:07
Steal the show why don you Sir B. Nice cheap one.
Is he saying that its a miracle and that no one else could have pulled it off and hence the double payrise?It says to me that he undervalues his employees in a single word.
What a load of utter bollox on his behalf. All airline pilots are trained to a high standard and by his own admittance pilots should be paid more instead of slave wages at all of his start-ups.
What a tos**r really,ride the free publicity wagon. What are the starting wages at the newest venture Vaus?Are those guys that are needed to get his project off the ground acccidents wating to happen, and hence the non-existent terms and conditions?

Magplug
4th Feb 2009, 11:14
Oxford English Dictionary (2009)

Branson (n) 'A Branson'. An empty magnanimous offer calculated to garner favour or publicity.

Spaz Modic
4th Feb 2009, 12:06
:ok: It's good to see Capt. Sully get his reward of publicity for a job well done. But was it any better than that the BA 747 Captain and crew did after flying into volcanic ash over Indonesia? I think it's debatable. Boy Scout Branson is just a publicity seeker chasing what's good for him - not Capt Sully. :eek:

citadel
4th Feb 2009, 13:02
LLondel...SRB gave the entire G VSKY crew a week on Neckar and couldn't praise them highly enough in his recent book.

Otto Throttle
4th Feb 2009, 13:20
Perhaps the bearded wonder is buying some flying boats.

Or maybe he has yet to negotiate a piece of terra firma on which to land his space plane.

I'm sure Sully must be a wonderfully handy chap to have on board if you're planning a water landing.

Captain Stable
4th Feb 2009, 14:19
Sully did a bloody good job.

But I don't remember Branson rewarding Tim Barnby in the same way.

Barnby.info (http://www.barnby.info/People/PilotBarnby.html)
BBC News | UK | Pilots praised for crash landing (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/864184.stm)

Capt.KAOS
4th Feb 2009, 15:46
Branson is a publicity wh0re, nuff said.....

corsair
4th Feb 2009, 16:16
Now, now this is typical internet nonsense. It's more like something you'd read in the Sun or Star.

Clearly SirRB is praising Sullenberger not actually making a serious offer to promote him to astronaut. Any other interpretation is just silly.

As Hughesyd said earlier:
I dont think Branson is having a go at his own pilots, in fact if you read his latest book, he suggests that Virgin only recruit the best pilots they can find with thousands of hours on type and plenty of experience.

Although he would day that wouldn't he? He's not likely to say:'We recruit any pilot we can lay our hands on, whatever experience they have .We don't care.':E

DX Wombat
4th Feb 2009, 16:27
Is he going to make the same offer to the Cabin Crew? Let's face it, whilst in no way belittling the excellent job made of landing the aircraft, it was the CABIN CREW who got the passengers out safely. :ok:

belloldtimer
4th Feb 2009, 16:35
Bravo!

Cheers:d:d

StudentInDebt
5th Feb 2009, 10:53
Is he going to make the same offer to the Cabin Crew?Only if they're attractive ;)

Shanwick Shanwick
5th Feb 2009, 16:15
Quote:
I suspect most Virgin pilots wouldn't give a hoot about RB's comments.

Well, if I was among his flight crews, I´d certainly feel devalued.

As a Virgin Pilot, I don't give a hoot about RB's comments.

Edited to correct CommitedToStay's spelling!