PDA

View Full Version : English language proficiency - help!

Bubulle
3rd Feb 2009, 10:34
G'Day!

I've applied for a special pilot licence in OZ but before to get it, I have to pass the language proficiency check. Does anybody have some advices to obtain a good score at this exam? How the exam works? How can I prepare it? Any book or website?

I've read the test is completed in 30 min (formal language evaluation as I'm not an english native speaker) with ASL. What do I have to do during this time?

I'm worrying about this test, I have to obtain at least the level 4 but if I can succeed for the level 5, it could be really great !!!

Thanks for your help

VH-XXX
3rd Feb 2009, 10:45
If you speak as well as you write, assuming that you wrote this post, then you will have no problems I suspect!

Air Ace
3rd Feb 2009, 10:58
Tried Google?

Activities for ESL Students (http://a4esl.org/).

ESL Level 4: Grammar Self-Assessments (http://staff.ucc.edu/alc-paez/esl/assessments/4index.htm)

Bubulle
3rd Feb 2009, 11:07
My writing doesn't have my lovely french accent :p and it's easier to write than to speak! Moreover, you have the time to correct and you don't have someone in front of you who try to kill you with a incomprehensible language!!! (some people are really hard to understand).

Anyway, I don't know what kind of test is it... Do I need to know the airspace in the area or something like that? I hate the surprises... :confused:

triton140
3rd Feb 2009, 11:11
Sounds like you won't have a problem - I'm not familiar with the test but it's really just to make sure you can communicate clearly in English.

Our sub-continental friends don't have a problem - so it should be a shoe in for a Francophile :ok:

Kickatinalong
3rd Feb 2009, 21:38
Where ever you do your English test the examiner will play a short tape of an "Indian" ATC for about 1 minute and then you will be asked questions on what was said e.g. What was the QNH, which airport was the ATC talking about etc. take shorthand notes and listen like hell.
Good Luck
Kickatinalong:ok::ok::ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
4th Feb 2009, 02:23
Re;
"Where ever you do your English test the examiner will play a short tape of an "Indian" ATC for about 1 minute and then you will be asked questions on what was said".....

I wonder why an "INDIAN" ATC voice.......

Do THEY KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T KNOW???

(Just Joking - BUT...They are 'cheaper' I hear....) :}:}

'Slight' drift, I know...but.....OOHH, There's a thought'....

Cheers:ok:

ccoon
4th Feb 2009, 03:22
Did my formal language evaluation with ASL in Bankstown last month. The process was as per described on the ASL website, under English Language Proficiency Assessment (https://www.aslexam.com/TOL/StaticWithMenus.aspx?PageTitle=AEAssessment&ContentID=301) FAQs, found here: https://www.aslexam.co/tol/StaticWithMenus.aspx?Content=FLE&ContentID=345

The only challenge I feel, is finding things to talk about. This is particularly true for the first portion of the test, where you respond to pre-recorded prompts. It is important to keep talking continuously.... (and coherently too of course). Questions asked are rather generic, eg, Why do you like to fly...What's your favourite route to fly... favourite aircraft.. explain what VFR means to a person with no aviation knowledge.... and ofcourse the last section being a 15 second response to an urgent/unexpected situation, eg, explaining to your passengers after having to do a go around due to an animal on the runway etc... Do note you are not assessed on the factual accuracy of what you say, but by the quality of your spoken English.

The second portion of the test, where you interact with a language evaluator, is much more pleasant and natural (cos you're speaking to a real person). This is more of a regular dialogue with the evaluator, about aviation. eg,... how did you get started in aviation, your license type... future plans... future training.... have you flown to XXX, so on...

Results are availible online from about 2 working days. You will be assessed on six aspects of your spoken communication abilities, namely, Comprehension, Fluency, Interaction, Pronunciation, Structure and Vocabulary. Your overall score is determined by the lowest score in each of the above categories.

I don't think you'll face much of a problem with this test. You seem to have a sound command of the language from the way you type. I did alright for most of the categories, except for fluency and pronunciation, (due to me being a FOB perhaps?), hence the level 5 overall score.

All the best for you test... just remember to speak clearly and continuously...