PDA

View Full Version : Good aviation text books

Johnny_56
3rd Feb 2009, 09:42
G'day everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on good aviation related textbooks.

I'm thinking of getting Mechanics of flight by Kermode. Anyone have any feedback re. it's content? Ie is it really technical or can a simple pilot read it? Also anyone know where you can buy the BOM met manual part 2? That also looks like it's worth having.

Any other good books others have used to study or just for reference - I'm not studying for anything in particular just trying to set up a bit of a library!

Cheers

CS-TNP
3rd Feb 2009, 10:58
For many areas of aviation (management, operations, etc.), you have a great UK editor:

Aviation (http://www.ashgate.com/Default.aspx?page=314)

Cheers

werbil
3rd Feb 2009, 11:31
I found Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators to be very good - it is the book that gave me the best understanding of the physics involved. It was written a long time ago and covers piston aircraft very well despite what the name suggests. It is also very easy to read.

It is many years since I last picked up Mechanics of Flight (Kermode) and I recollect losing a lot of interest when it started discussing Reynolds numbers. I'll have to get it out again and see if I fare any better.

I would be very interested to see a good text on all the interactions involved in seaplane flying - particular the interaction between hydrodynamic, hydrostatic, aerodynamic and aircraft loading. Water Flying Concepts by Dale De Remer goes a long way but doesn't really go into the physics behind the information gained from practical tests.

muffman
3rd Feb 2009, 12:39
Stick & Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche. Written for pilots and describes what the aeroplane does and why. Truly subscribes to the notion that everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Amazingly, it now seems to be free thanks to Google.
Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of ... - Google Book Search (http://books.google.com.au/books?id=zlaqYZYJZwQC&dq=wolfgang+stick+and+rudder&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA107,M1)

Tinstaafl
3rd Feb 2009, 19:46
A few of my favourites in my library include:

Mechanics of Flight, AC Kermode. I really enjoyed reading it.
Handling the Big Jets (not *Flying* the Big Jets, a dumbed-down-for-SLF knock-off even to the cover :yuk: ). Ditto enjoyment
BoM Met. books: General Meteorology, Aviation Meteorology
CAA Pub. 45 ie Flight Instructor Handbook

Pilotette
3rd Feb 2009, 20:00
Hi Johnny..

I have an extra copy of Mechanics Of Flight..check your PMs.
I'll definitely put a vote towards Mechanics Of Flight..found it really good and also recommend The Manual of Aviation Meteorology and another book just called Aircraft Flight. All really interesting reads..:ok: P

longrass
4th Feb 2009, 02:25
Any of the ones that teaches you how NOT to crash, or a self help book teaching you how to get rich OUTSIDE of aviation,

:O urinates in pants laughing.........

Longrass