PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Travel Perks

Jetheat
4th Dec 2000, 03:55
Does anyone know what the travel perks are for friends and family for BA pilots. Does the pilot and the family get to travel free or just the pilot? How about BA subsidiaries such as City Flyer.

exeng
4th Dec 2000, 06:58
All your family get to fly, but not your friends, unless they are designated as your 'travelling companions'.

You do get some free tickets, but the rest are at 10% or 20%. It depends on how long your service is and what rank you are.

Regards
Exeng

Shed Driver
4th Dec 2000, 15:40
The franchise partners get a pretty poor deal, only immediate family & parents, so brothers & sisters are frozen out. Also, you do not get the upgrade options on long haul routes which is available for those in BA, Brymon & CFE. Time it was revampted I think.

Retreating Blade Stall
5th Dec 2000, 15:34
Why was my posting dropped when this board was move here?

Jetheat
5th Dec 2000, 17:56
what about the pilot himself? Does he get to travel free?

Retreating Blade Stall
5th Dec 2000, 18:01
It is inadvisable to publish this stuff on a public forum.Envious eyes will read it,and I know there are people who would like to interfere with these perks. Think of the dirty word tax!!!

Carnage Matey!
5th Dec 2000, 21:18
Travel perks? Don't make me laugh! As an FO I get exactly the same staff travel package as everyone else in the company, except with less years service I get onloaded last. In my experience the only sure-fire way of getting to your destination on the day you planned is to collar the captain and beg for a jumpseat, and make damn sure you have your ticket validated for another airline 'cos thats who you're likely to be travelling with.

Flap 5
5th Dec 2000, 23:50
RBS

It is a whole lot better to bring this out in to the open - just because of the unwarranted envy it generates.

All you get are standby tickets at a discounted rate. Frankly I prefer to get a cheap ticket from a travel agent. At least it is confirmed and you will not be bumped off along with your family, and the distinct possiblity of your holiday being ruined.

I have been lucky so far - but I have had some very near misses (lots of pleading with check in staff!)

exeng
6th Dec 2000, 05:09
Flaps 5,

I'm sure you are quite correct in describing the scenario as it applies to you at this moment in time.

As the years pass you will find yourself in a far more fortunate situation, (after 32 years for instance you will probably find that not many folks board ahead of you) but that is life, we can't have everything immediately can we.

The down side to staff travel is that I retire in 6 years and then I move staight to the back of the queue. And that is quite correct.

Regards
exeng

Rollingthunder
8th Dec 2000, 06:11
The worst bit is the BA Staff Travel Office at T4.

CRP5
9th Dec 2000, 22:11
The worst bit is that your fellow staff members treat you like your an alien from mars!

Carnage Matey!
11th Dec 2000, 00:48
I'll have to take your word for that CRP5, I've never managed to get a seat in the pax cabin on a BA long haul flight!