PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on at Fugro

solowflyer
3rd Feb 2009, 01:45
I see they are advertising for pilots but know they stood down a heap of guys just before Xmas as have all the other survey mobs. Any goss?

the wizard of auz
3rd Feb 2009, 01:59
I could make some up for ya if you want.
Maybe mining companies are cutting back on exploration costs at the moment, with the global economic climate being what it is. Can't figure why they would be chasing drivers though.

solowflyer
3rd Feb 2009, 02:57
They are also advertising in Africa. I wounder if they are just trying to sneer some of the experienced survey pilots that have recently been put out of work from other companies or are trying to get the pay rates down? I'm betting Rio Tinto and BHP will be making smiler moves in the near future offering back old jobs for less pay.

Corkey McFuz
3rd Feb 2009, 09:51
Out of interest, what other companies ?

solowflyer
3rd Feb 2009, 10:23
GPX, UTS, Fugro for a start no doubt there others.

Corkey McFuz
4th Feb 2009, 03:58
Doesn't UTS contract out the flying to companies such as Kiwiair and not operate aircraft and pilots directly them selves ? I could be wrong of course...
Kiwiair just took on a couple of Reims 406s for survey one would think they wouldn't be getting rid of any guys with a small fleet expansion...

I do know another oz survey company who contracts out the flying has tightened up a bit with a lot less flying for one of the operators at least... Dunno about any layoffs, yet though, hope not :sad:

Lucerne
19th May 2010, 01:19
UTS do operate their own aircraft in Australia and are currently looking for a new Cheif Pilot. An ag rating is essential for employment with UTS.

Ejector
22nd May 2010, 11:38
Update: Furgo just employed 8 drivers, start next month. Things seem to have recovered, even though the mining tax has destroyed the Aussie Dollar the big mining companies will tell you. Actually, that's not the reason.

ZEEBEE
23rd May 2010, 12:29
Ok, here's the reality.

Some pilots were liberated when things were a bit grim last year, but a recent contract win required the services of a bunch of pilots that the previous decision had made scarce.

Overall, the survey industry is in the same condition as the National Liberal party......struggling.

Ejector
13th Jun 2010, 16:28
My contact I think was full of poo poo. Please disregard my comment as I am not sure if true.

Update: Furgo just employed 8 drivers, start next month. Things seem to have recovered, even though the mining tax has destroyed the Aussie Dollar the big mining companies will tell you. Actually, that's not the reason.

aileron_69
14th Jun 2010, 13:26
Fugro have 3 aircraft starting next week at Forrest, they have just employed several pilots, one of which is not me cos they dont pay enough :E
Thomsons already have a plane at Forrest and UTS recently won 300,000kms worth of contracts. All of this is government work...with the mining tax they can afford it anyway!!!:E

ZEEBEE
15th Jun 2010, 00:04
All of this is government work...with the mining tax they can afford it anyway!!!

Yes, Aileron That's all true, but unfortunately it's all going for cost + 1% at the moment since there's an effective oversupply of platforms in the market. :suspect:

The Govt will probably never get surveys as cheaply as this unless it's flown by super efficient/reliable UAV's.

the wizard of auz
17th Jun 2010, 22:43
I have a J3 cub with a 13 foot wingspan and a B47 with a 2.5 Mtr disc. very good platforms........ not so efficient though. I only get about twenty minutes out of a tank of fuel. I guess I wont be competing for the UAV contract. :}

Super Cecil
17th Jun 2010, 23:45
Yoora boxhead Wiz, although yoo might be on to something, if you read the blurbs put out by the model aircraft/UAV/pilotless drone mobs they can do everything and you don't have to pay them. What happened to the work over the Straight?

Baldnfat
18th Jun 2010, 02:31
I know that the AFAP jobs page has something of a disclaimer but the way that the Airborne Survey Pilot ad reads is :mad:.

"will require Perth based casual Australian Survey Pilot"

"(cover letter incl salary expectations + CV)"

For those considering applying remember:

1 - They don't employ fulltime aircrew.

2 - You must submit the lowest possible salary expectation to even get a look in.

The survey tendering process has a lot to answer for:yuk:!!!

How can an organisation that purports to have the interest of its members as a priority support this sort of company by accepting this advert?

the wizard of auz
18th Jun 2010, 03:16
is where I'm at right now Cec. in the warmer climes and occasionally in the pointy end of a Citation.
Miss my models a lot though.

aileron_69
18th Jun 2010, 18:27
This may be so, but they still pay a significant amount more than the pathetic excuse for the AFAP Award.
They are paying approx 20% less than the industry standard for the base wage and even less for the Per Diem tho.

Obidiah
19th Jun 2010, 12:51
Aileron 69

Not so sure about that 20%

Dances With Dingoes
21st Jun 2010, 15:21
The add says a bit about spending some time away from home. So do you really need to be based in Perth? Or couold you just FIFO to where the millions of square KMS are that you need to survey?

Strikes me as odd that if you need to be prepared to travel to get to work then perhaps you could possibly be prepared to travel to get to work. :uhoh:

DD

aileron_69
21st Jun 2010, 16:31
Not so sure about that 20%

Obidiah,

I said approximately 20% and what are u not sure about?

What sort of money are you hearing from the Fugro camp?

aussie027
28th Aug 2012, 07:08
They are advertising again today.
I am looking for some real, not BS, recent info about working for this company T & C, salary etc.
None of the info on this thread is helpful or recent. A search revealed this is the latest thread.
If anyone has any info please PM if not wanting to post here.

If you do not have any useful OR accurate info to share please do not post.
Thank you.:ok:

Bluemeaway
29th Aug 2012, 05:08
Applied today, will let you know if i get a call back. applying for Van/Da42

Vincent Chase
29th Aug 2012, 05:58
I called them and asked, wasn't hard.

aussie027
30th Aug 2012, 03:46
Great Vincent, do you mind sharing what they had to say then?

I wanted to hear other pilots opinions and experiences who have or are working there. Not only what the company has to say.
Thanks.

Skydiveandy
31st Aug 2012, 12:01
PM me and lets have a private chat,

andy