PDA

View Full Version : How does it pay to be a B2 Engineer in Europe?

Rotiv
2nd Feb 2009, 22:39
Hello, iam almost finishing my Part 66 B2 course in TAP - MTO. After i finished the course i will probably end up signing a contract with TAP, thats not a bad thing considering the lack of good stable jobs nowadays because of the ''global crysis''... But in Portugal we always had economical problems, we have one of the lowest minimum wage in the european union and on top of that we have to pay alot of taxes, long story short, yes its a sunny lovely country but poor people...
Well it seems my future job also has a very bad sallary when you compare it to other countrys in europe and thats what i really want to know. I am tired of hearing storys about how low our salary is compared for example to our neighbour country spain, and how someone knows a guy that is doing great in some other european or even middle eastern country.
Well can you guys tell me about your situation, does this job pays bad every where or maybe only in my coutry? how hard its for me getting a job outside my country with my quallifications? How does 11280€ sound for the first year of pay?

3/8
3rd Feb 2009, 04:36
Would that be with type or without?
without, this is slave labour with type this is just utterly disgusting. i know of a few b2 type contractors who earn this per month (before tax) realistically with type you should expect between 40-50000euro per year.(permanent) Times are hard I know, but do not set a precedent by accepting that salary, its a pure insult.

Capot
3rd Feb 2009, 16:01
That figure is so grossly low that I wonder if you have understood the offer correctly. I would check back if I were you. It cannot be right.

If however it is right, look elsewhere and wait for market forces to do their work until Portugal is in equilibrium with the EU. As per Poland.

*Elsewhere = Parc, Bostonair, Chevron, TAC Europe, etc etc....all the well-established agencies.

MartinCh
4th Feb 2009, 05:05
That's about min wage in the UK with current crap GBP/EUR exchange rate, presuming 40hr working week. Below min wage in Ireland, E8.65/hr and no real income tax there at that rate. Roughly E16.5k pa

Portugal may be cheaper to live in, BUT..
I'm going to do some aircraft maintenance training over next few years, but would only work for that as B1 eng non-typed, purely due to choice of country (L America etc)

nodrama
4th Feb 2009, 06:52
but would only work for that as B1 eng non-typed,

Then you are putting yourself in a postion no better than this guy working in Portugal.

12K for a B1 licenced engineer?? Are you mad ?????....try 25k + before type pay and you are being alot more realistic.

stormin norman
4th Feb 2009, 08:55
How does 11280€ sound for the first year of pay?

Are you sure its not Ryanair ?

demon_duck
4th Feb 2009, 19:48
It sounds like enough.......to buy a ticket to somewhere that pays a reasonable wage!

Rotiv
4th Feb 2009, 22:26
Then you are putting yourself in a postion no better than this guy working in Portugal.

12K for a B1 licenced engineer?? Are you mad ?????....try 25k + before type pay and you are being alot more realistic.

Plz tell me where, thats what a guy in portugal gets near the end of the career with type courses. Yes the cost of life is indead cheaper but not that different from, for example, spain, in fact the cost of life in spain is cheaper in some aspects like the gas prices.
But hey for portugal standards this is far from being a bad opportunity, iam getting a contract, a career with automatic progression, making more than the double minimum wage in my first year as a worker and got paid while taking the course. Some may even say: What are you complaining about?

MartinCh
4th Feb 2009, 23:35
nodrama:

Err, not exactly. See the world region on brackets.
Maybe you know better about wage levels in Latin America or some 'cheap' countries. Or should I expect salary levels comparable to those in the UK?
I only meant that I would bite the bullet and take paycut relocating if really wanted.

While I in no way intend to do wage dumping (and no, I would not do the training only to earn less than I make now, still rubbish) in Western/Northern Europe, one has to admit that even skilled jobs get different salaries across the world.

Compare USA, UK, Norway, Australia, Ecuador, Botswana, Vietnam etc as a sample. I do not mean expat contractors temping, just 'local workforce'. Even 'developed countries' have salary differences. Whether pilot jobs or mechanics/eng jobs.

Maybe I'm not bothered to write essays every single time I write something so that people misconstrue my thoughts/meaning less than 90% of the time.

vipe
7th Feb 2009, 14:21
That's is just short of rape.
I am portuguese and never really lived there. What is the point in going through all the trouble and effort of a part 66 to earn the same you'd be earning working as a trolley pusher in a supermarket in england.

As with all my portuguese mates from uni I have this advice: get out and only come back for holidays. it's all Portugal is good for. Unless you get paid in another country and live there, then you can aspire to something human.

Rotiv: deixa-te de merdas. Não vale a pena. Não custa nada morar fora e com part 66 arranjas trabalho em quialquer lado.

Edit: I earned the equivalent to that on my last student summer job...I was a cashier at a petrol station and worked in total 18 days.

vipe
7th Feb 2009, 14:35
How does 11280€ sound for the first year of pay?

Are you sure its not Ryanair ?

Don't really see anyone in Germany,England or France with a B2 willing to work for this. Doubt even ryanair would dare pay this little.

Piper19
8th Feb 2009, 21:54
For that amount I don't take the responsability of 250 passenger lives! In Belgium we get more money whilst being unemployed.
Ok, my situation: B1 mechanic with 5 years experience (B2 is the same rate here and my example is about average for Belgium); 3000 EUR bruto a month, including shift work and meal vouchers etc will get me 4400 EUR bruto for 14 working days. We also get payed 13,9 months a year, not 12.
As contractor I have 400-500 bruto a day.

Nose Wheel Shimmy
12th Feb 2009, 22:38
Where do you get your gen for Ryanair's pay?
For their fault's one thing is they paid the highest. Most LAE's would be on E60k without to much effort. Their structure allowed B2's a higher salery. Don't get bogged down with the published saleries of these firm's. It's what keeps the wage's down in my opinion. Most companies don't state the extra's in their saleries such has type approvals, shift pay until you go for the interview. If you don't like the pay, don't work there!!

MartinCh
13th Feb 2009, 00:11
As with all my portuguese mates from uni I have this advice: get out and only come back for holidays. it's all Portugal is good for.

Exactly the same Marco told me about year ago. He's also from PT, having UK passport from his childhood living in England. He's now with Sony (UK)earning decent income for what he does.

Same goes for me and Central Europe. Yeah, nice place to visit, say hello to family, but that's it. No good for aviation career. I'd never achieve much in there due to (lack of) money even working/saving hard.

In Belgium we get more money whilst being unemployed.
Ehm. Interesting.