PDA

View Full Version : CAO 48 question

apache
2nd Feb 2009, 19:21
Seeing as the "do I need an alternate" thread has generated much discussion, I will ask a question regarding an interpretation of CAO48.

Is it LEGAL to plan a 10:50 hour day, KNOWING that there is 20 minutes holding on the last sector, which is not factored into the initial planning?

Bear in mind, this will be an IFR flight, with no CAO48 dispensation, and NO rest during the day.
Flight times for the day are not an issue, as total flying will only be in the order of 6 hours, and previous nights rest is also not an issue... nor are 7/30/365 day cumulative totals.

SIMPLY.... can I do a ToD, which is PLANNED to be 10:50, but when I turn up for work there is a mandatory holding(ie Sydney traffic), KNOWING that this has NOT been factored into the day at the rostering stage?

sru
2nd Feb 2009, 20:45
Short answer yes.

Duty commenced can be extend by up to 1 hr (beyond the max rotered duty of 11 hrs ) for operational reasons providing you consider yourself in a fit state to do so. (does require additional rest after completion)

That's my interpretation anyway.

Cheers

Icarus53
2nd Feb 2009, 21:37
Two things:
1) You have to turn up at work to find out that there is 20 mins holding. You have therefore started the ToD and can be extended legally.
2) Holding requirements are not known delays. How often do you use up the extra 20 mins on Sydney?

Better question - you have already extended your duty and are awaiting departure from an outport. Normal sector time is 50 mins and you have 15 mins to sign off at the other end. Destination has TEMPO - TS. At what point in the duty time do you get off the fully boarded aircraft and head to the hotel?:}

I'll hold on to my answer for the moment as our man clakajak did. Maybe he's managed to open two cans of worms?:}

The PM
2nd Feb 2009, 22:34
Wouldn't 48.1 para 1.9 cover that icarus (in a roundabout sort of way) ? Just tell ops at the end of the day you will see them in 24 hours? :}

3 Holer
2nd Feb 2009, 22:42
sru is correct.

Rostered duty period cannot exceed 11 hours. Holding may or may not happen therefore it doesn't come into the equation. If it (holding,diversion due weather etc,.) becomes an issue then you apply the 1 hour extension. Once that expires, you're off to the pub for minimum rest.

Icarus53
2nd Feb 2009, 22:47
The Hon PM,

Yes it does - and if I had departed at all and been delayed in flight that is precisely what would have applied. At some point though you have to say "I can no longer operate this sector as it will involve a duty time over 12 hours". Then you head to the hotel and pax home the next day on a day off. Beautiful.;)

The PM
2nd Feb 2009, 22:55
Exactly Icarus, hence the ":}"

Going totally by the book often requires a bit of the big picture being applied!

You did omit the bit about enjoying a beer though....

Bug Smasher Smasher
2nd Feb 2009, 23:08
Depends on how nice the hotel is, how hot the hosties are and/or how big a pain in the :mad: the wife and kids have been. :E

Icarus53
4th Feb 2009, 01:58
You did omit the bit about enjoying a beer though...

Thought it was implied by my "location"!:}

The PM
4th Feb 2009, 02:15
Who reads the fine print anyway? I'll pay that one.....

:ok: