PDA

View Full Version : Politics have no business in business

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2009, 19:01
My second most quoted quote.

And yet I had to put up with it for thirty years all the while refusing to participate in the shenanigans and back room deals. In retrospect it didn't serve me well, I probably could have become a director. However I feel better for my stance.

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2009, 20:25
Hmmm, No one has had to put up with politics in the workplace but me? Or are unwilling to talk about it.

con-pilot
2nd Feb 2009, 20:41
Ha, try working for the Government, then you can talk about office politics.

Everything in life involves politics, everything. And I'm not talking about the elected type of politics.

airfoilmod
2nd Feb 2009, 20:43
Here in SF there are polls rating "best place to work" and the competition is fierce. Catered meals, special Fridays, etc. But that's all on the surface. Had my own business since leaving a major Oil co. in the 60's. I think a little deference to the boss is always indicated, but backstabbers will do what they do, I suppose. Clients were my challenge, I suppose. Specialty Air Freight was what I did that I enjoyed most. Dealt with Chefs and Kitchen buyers mostly, a very demanding set, those. The Leader of the Pack sets the tone I would say, has that been your experience? The Boss can make the environment pleasant, or through neglect, a horror. Some will move in like Hyenas to fill a vacuum. What's your story?

brickhistory
2nd Feb 2009, 20:52
"Politics" is just another word for human behavior.

If you are engaged in a job that has more than one person, then politics is a natural by-product.

Top of the evolutionary ladder so far.

Scary, isn't it?

However, the opening post's comment is commendable.

If you can look at yourself in the mirror shaving, then you're ok.*

*Men only of course. If it's a woman I A) either don't want to know or B) would like to sell tickets!