PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in GLA ?

Left On The Greens
2nd Dec 2000, 21:49
Can any GLA folks suggest areas to live in, with close proxmity to the airport.

Cheers

seadog
2nd Dec 2000, 22:14
Paisley is the closest, although possibly not the nicest part of the area. Even from the city centre the airport is only 15 mins drive or a short trip by train / bus. For reasonable areas stay in the West End (student area) or Southside where things are safe and plenty of good nightlife.If you need to know more, let me know.

Left On The Greens
2nd Dec 2000, 22:21
seadog, is their a rail link to the airport ?

mach78
2nd Dec 2000, 22:38
Not to the airport, Paisley is as close as you get.

The Flying Scotsman
2nd Dec 2000, 22:44
If you have to be based in Glasgow then there is only one decent place to live.....

England.

Cheers, Scotty.

JB007
3rd Dec 2000, 01:58
Ditto with Scotty,

How about EDI ?

Cheers

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

tunneler
3rd Dec 2000, 04:10
Leftie dont listen to the softies from the east coast.......

Ehm, GLA is an alright place to live (except the poverty, neds, and general mess)

Nightlife is seccond only to London in the UK - bouncin clubs man :)

Pblic Transport is crappy with the exception of the clockwork orange (underground) very punctual and great to get into/outof town.

Nicest area of glasgow is probably the west end (Byres Rd/Hyndland area for flats etc) but cos of the huge amoutn of students it costs a fortune to rent a flat.

Really the best places to stay are generally gonna be (in no specific order)

Newton Mearns
Bearsden
Milngavie
Hyndland
Outskirts of Johnstone
Helensburgh

Places to avoid AT ALL COSTS or you're car will be stolen etc etc (again in no specific order)
Drumchapel
Easterhouse
Possil Park - aint no park there pal
Lambhill
Port Glasgow
Gorbals
Basically anywhere that has huge tenements blocks and a large population of neds on the street corners are to be given what is known as a "wide bodyswerve"

All the places i listed in the "good" section are 1hr from the airport - although helensburgh & Newton Mearns can be more than that during rush hour......

All in all its a good place to live - dont put your kids in the local schools - private is the best way to safeguard them from the drug fuelled *****s coming from the "bad" areas. Shopping is first class, there aint too much trouble at nights if you keep away from the "bad" areas, and keep streetwise when outon the town.

Aside from all the negatives it is well placed for enjoying yourself, the beach at troon etc is an hour or so away, the moors a measely 10 mins from Bearsden + Milngavie for walking the dogs etc, countryside is generally ony a quick drive away.

Not too many speed cameras, gimmie an email if you wanna know where the bulk of them are :)

Righty pal, now after that the only thing i can possibly say is........gonnae gies a shot on yer jumpseat????

Tunny
x

*footnote*
"Neds" - Glasgow slang for youths (anywhere from 11 - 25) who wear kappa tracksuits, baseball caps, drink cheap cider/buckfast/meths inject/snort/smoke any class A they can get their hands on cause trouble and talk in a tounge foreign to most ears. Also known to sell the big issue in the city centre - or ask for 50p for a bus fare home, best approach is to tell them to eff off politely. Not nice folk. And if your daughter brings one home shoot him then disinfect her.

ta

Oh yeah - the weathers pish

[This message has been edited by tunneler (edited 03 December 2000).]

Robbo2Alpha
3rd Dec 2000, 16:52
Do not live in Glasgow, anywhere else is ok, ---- ANYWHERE!!

Left On The Greens
3rd Dec 2000, 18:35
tunneler, thanks for the steer clear areas and advice.

Robbo2Alpha, with a handle like that I take it you fly from GLA. If, as you suggest, anywhere but GLA, where do you live ?

Cheers

Spotter
3rd Dec 2000, 22:47
The villages/towns along the west coast are nice. You'd be amazed how far away you can live & still be within an hour of the airport especially if you're travelling off peak. Schools are good & bad just the same as in England. Been here a couple of years & not had any probs with my kids' schools.

Johnstone/Lochwinnoch/Beith are fine too. Kilwinning apparently has a reputation for sectarianism.

If you're going to be based at GLA come & give us a visit in ATC.

seadog
4th Dec 2000, 15:31
Lefty - the railink is 10 minutes from central sation to Paisley then a bus to the airport (ten mins, and fairly frequent).
The weather may be pish, but when it's not the scenery beats the hell out of all that flat stuff down south!

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
5th Dec 2000, 18:41
The pub in Houston requires Hi-viz jackets such is the density of flight crew in the Bridge of Weir/Kilmacolm/Houston triangle.(Good swally though)
And its not and never has been "Glasgae"so it isnae.It's "Glesca" so it is by the way!

Eff Oh
6th Dec 2000, 03:53
"Glesga" is a GREAT place to live! I have been here for all my life (22yrs). Tunneler is correct stay WELL CLEAR of those areas. Go for the ones he mentioned. Huston is FULL of aircrew. The pub metioned above is the Fox and Hound. (Known by every pilot ever to have been in GLA!!!!!) :) :) :)
Every city has its bad areas, Glasgow is by no means any different. However it is no worse than any other big British city either!!!
You will have a ball in GLA. The people are first class, its cheap to live and one of the best nights out in the UK!!!!!
I am only sorry I have to go the other way and move to MAN!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif (For a short time I HOPE!!!)
Best wishes.
Eff Oh. :)

Left On The Greens
7th Dec 2000, 11:22
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. It has been very useful.

Regards

TrueNorth
7th Dec 2000, 22:29
Pure gallus, by the way!

ComJam
8th Dec 2000, 04:14
I'd go for the posh end of Glasgow.........Edinburgh!

Or Largs, bit of drive but quite a nice place.

Blue Boy
8th Dec 2000, 15:46
The best thing about EDI is the M8 towards GLA. Lenzie, Milngavie & Bearsden, to the north of GLA are also good places to stay. All have good road links to the Airport, and are less than 30 minutes drive.
:)

tunneler
8th Dec 2000, 16:04
Its possible to do the airport in 8 minutes from Bearsden early morning..........

cough.....

Not that I've done it or anything.

SkidSolo
9th Dec 2000, 20:08
Whats the going rate for renting in the decent areas mentioned above?

Blue Boy
10th Dec 2000, 15:31
The closer you stay to the City then it's obviously going to cost more. Not sure about the cost of renting in Lenzie, Milngavie or Bearsden but it is worth it.

Tunneler - Lenzie to GLA in 10 minutes, thank god for the M80 & M8 :)

Left On The Greens
10th Dec 2000, 22:45
All good stuff.

Any other GLA based crews wanting to share a house ? or have a house to rent ?

Regards