PDA

View Full Version : Bushflying and Scenic Ops

Okavango
2nd Feb 2009, 14:01
Don't want to cause any fuss about taking jobs etc but just wondered what the potential was for bushflying and scenic ops in Oz for a non Austalian citizen?

jportzer
2nd Feb 2009, 18:58
Under what visa are you expecting to work? This is an important question and the most critical point in discussion. (I'm assuming you don't have permanent residency as otherwise bringing up your citizenship wouldn't be relevant, right?). I believe pilot is on the skills shortage list so you should be able to sponsor yourself if you want (general skilled migration), but there is a lot of time and expense in that. Is your question whether a bush flying company etc. would sponsor you for a temporary long-stay visa? I can't answer that but I think you need to be clear about your situation.

(I'm a foreigner working in Australia under a subclass 457 temporary visa, but not as a pilot.)

tail wheel
2nd Feb 2009, 21:55
I think your chances of being sponsored as a pilot on a 457 Long Stay Business Visa, by an Australian GA company, would be very remote indeed.

If you have other Australian residential entitlements, independent of your flying qualifications, (RSMS or by marriage for example), I doubt if your citizenship would be an issue in employment if you held or exceeded the required qualifications and experience for the job.

nz200lr
3rd Feb 2009, 00:24
Visa requirements etc depend which country you are from. For example if you are from nz you do not require a 'visa' as such and also do not require citizenship, hence the high number of kiwis working in auz.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
3rd Feb 2009, 12:10
I'm pretty sure that Okavango is from Lancashire, England so forget the whole Kiwi thing.

As has been said sponsorship in GA will prove to be quite difficult. You may find that some other qualification may get you in and able to work without a sponsor. For example are you an Accountant (60 pts), Acupuncturist (50 pts), Chemist (50 pts), Interpreter (60 pts), Librarian (50 pts), Office Manager (40 pts), Bricklayer (60 pts), Signwriter (60 pts) or Tree Surgeon (60 pts)? If you can prove to the govt that you are two or more of these and the sum of the pts is 120 or greater then you are eligible for a General Skilled Migration Visa. If it is lesser than 120 but 100 or greater then you will go into a hold pool for 2 years.

The exhaustive list can be found here (http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf) and the relevant FAQs can be found here (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/points-test.htm). I would recommend reading them in the other order though.

The thing about the General Skilled Migration Visa is that you don't actually have to work in the fields through which you qualified (this helps to prevent some pretty nasty industrial relations issues... like indebted servitude and slavery). On the down side it means that pilots (you) can get some relatively easy-to-acquire skills (Bricklayer and Signwriter) and then move on over. Of course you've got to satisfy the relevant authority of your sufficient capabilities and aptitude in the given category (Bricklayer - what's the difference between brick and brick-a-brack, Signwriter why does Hungry Jacks AKA Burger King insist on having signs advertising Expresso?).

There you have it. Plenty of Pommy pilots down here (this coming from a Yank cum Aussie citizen by way of marriage), I'm sure that somebody has made some sort of manoeuvre like this. (By the way before anybody give me any ****, notice my adoption of the local spelling... when in Rome do as the Romans).

Best of luck (just don't expect it to be easy and don't fly any money making flights for free lest ye wish to rouse the ire of pilots like me).

~FRQ CB

pianokeys
3rd Feb 2009, 18:19
Suggest you try Golden Eagle Airlines in Port Hedland as I know they have employed people on 457 visas, they where not pilots but you never know.

Okavango
3rd Feb 2009, 19:25
Charlie Bravo pretty much hit the nail on the head with the General Skilled Migration Visa issue. I'm a chartered engineer and professional project manager so I'd hope there might be some potential inroad there, I just wasn't sure if you had to be employed in the same field and therefore flying was off limits. Thanks again.

Okavango
3rd Feb 2009, 21:02
Have now looked into it in detail and pretty sure I can get in direct through a Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175), or failing that I have relations in Oz so a Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176) is perhaps the easier route? Surprised at the cost though, pretty steep at £1000. Is it likely that some bushflying/scenic ops could eventually be found for a raw CPL or is IR required? I know there are opportunities in Africa, though Oz would be good for my other half as she loves the idea and would also be able to work.

Okavango
5th Feb 2009, 19:07
I was just wondering what was needed in Australia to hold a CPL? In the UK we need to take the 14 ATPL exams first though I've had advice of studying for these AFTER working for a while. Is this possible?

ravan
5th Feb 2009, 20:26
No need to have passed ATPL subjects to hold a CPL in Australia.

You will need to convert your JAA (I presume) CPL to an Australian CPL and to do this you will be required to sit an Australian Air Law Exam (open book) and complete a CPL flight test.

Good luck.

tail wheel
5th Feb 2009, 22:18
Surprised at the cost though, pretty steep at £1000.

I'd get in very quick!! The way the Government here are spending buckets of money, the price could treble next week!!

:{

Konev
6th Feb 2009, 01:19
must admit ive had my eye on aussie so this thread is almost a gold mine.

whats the go with VFR tourist jobs that love advanced mountain flying trained pilots?

:D

SM227
6th Feb 2009, 06:48
While we are on it does anyone know of any operators that are looking to hire fresh CPL/MECIR in the next few months?

mostlytossas
6th Feb 2009, 07:29
Konev, That's funny that. Advanced mountain flying in OZ huh?
That is about as handy as a bucket under a bull.
Our highest "mountain" is only around 7500' and you can over fly it in just about any clapped out single.:)

Konev
6th Feb 2009, 09:12
yeah, no wonder the RAAF is always over here :) got a lot of bad weather experience from it as well as my initial training in invergiggle (go go windy days) and ive seen ads on AFAP which require 'less than blue sky experiance' which had me confused at first.

not really sure on what the aussie basis of bad weather is and also what you call low level experiance. i should go over for a holiday sooner or later and have a yarn to some operators over just what they look for.

On Track
7th Feb 2009, 05:16
Konev, I get the impression you must be in ZQN, where I saw a Herc doing circuits this afternoon (although I couldn't see any identifiying markings).

Your mountain flying experience is probably not very relevant in Oz, but you've probably also got lots of experience with bush strips, beaching landings, etc. and none of that could work against you.