PDA

View Full Version : 30 lashes for smoking on a plane

4HolerPoler
2nd Feb 2009, 09:45
Great story from the Saudi press -

Riyadh - A Sudanese man has been sentenced to 30 lashes for smoking on a domestic Saudi Arabian Airlines flight, local media reported on Monday. The unnamed man had refused to put out his cigarette on the flight to the Red Sea port city of Jeddah from Qurayyat in northern Saudi Arabia, the Saudi Gazette said. He was arrested by police when the aircraft landed in Jeddah and sentenced to 30 lashes by a local court on Sunday. The man apologised and said he was attending clinic to help him stop smoking, according to the report.

_FL600_
2nd Feb 2009, 11:32
and your point is --> :yuk:

brassplate
2nd Feb 2009, 12:31
serves the bastard right.

allaru
2nd Feb 2009, 13:27
He is probably an airline manager.

NG_Kaptain
2nd Feb 2009, 13:42
Would the penalty have been the same if he was a Saudi and not a Sudanese?

Syrian Aviator
2nd Feb 2009, 14:42
I doubt it will be the same ruling if it was Saudi man, try a car accident for a starter, Saudies are always right

mutt
2nd Feb 2009, 14:59
Saudies are always right

Do you know this for a fact???? In each of the accidents that i have had in Saudi, 100% of the blame was never placed on me !

And to answer the question about if the sentence would have applied to a Saudi, the answer is yes, it happened twice last year...

Mutt

loc22550
2nd Feb 2009, 15:09
Same sentence should apply for all the unconscious driver with criminal and dangerous behaviour here in the gulf!
Sure the safety will improve rapidly on the road..!:*

mabes
2nd Feb 2009, 15:29
now he has some motivation to quit smoking.....ha or maybe not :}

metro301
2nd Feb 2009, 19:04
Mutt, I hate to disagree with you, but I have an interesting example.

I got hit from behind on King road about 6 months ago. I was stopped at the time, the SUV (driven by a Saudi) pushed my car into the car in front of me.

I had damage on both ends of my car. The Policeman let the Saudi driver go and he writes the Arabic report to say I was the one at fault.

As for the smoking.... I hope they don't start to lash the flight crews too.

mutt
3rd Feb 2009, 02:37
Metro, just goes to show that there arent any rules!!!! Depends on the policeman on the day... Guess that i was lucky in my 3 fender benders :):)

Mutt

driftdown
3rd Feb 2009, 05:36
I agree Mutt, all depends on the official on the day.

I had an accident in Jeddah, crazy sudanese did a u-turn from a parked position, thought I did pretty well to get round him with only clipping his front fender, still my fault. :*

OTOH I was stopped leaving KSA at the causeway last year because my vehicle Police travel authorisation had expired a day earlier. Expecting to be going back to my office for a few days I was directed to the Causeway Police authority who asked me, in perfect English, where I lived and on telling him Bahrain he signed a one way approval to travel and said get it sorted. Now that was surprising. :ok: