PDA

View Full Version : Stop the UK ...it's snowing!!

Richard Taylor
2nd Feb 2009, 06:25
Well folks, how bad is it in England then? Rolling news, main news, all about snow.

Hardly any up here, dunno what the fuss is about...:E

Flap 5
2nd Feb 2009, 06:38
School cancelled for the day! Don't worry I'm a bit too old for school, but my kids seem happy with it. Unfortunately I'm sure it's going to screw up the day for a lot of parents with work commitments etc..

22 Degree Halo
2nd Feb 2009, 06:39
It's days like this I'm glad I don't watch TV. I can only imagine what Sky and BBC are showing in their continously mundane "Breaking News".

1mm hits London..whoo-hooo:p

Halfbaked_Boy
2nd Feb 2009, 06:45
No problems in my part of the midlands, an inch or two, nothing to worry about :ok:

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 06:51
Here in Surrey with the fringe (of snow) on top, no nursery school for the littleun, no school for the big one, no train to London for her indoors and deffo no flying for yrs truly. Still snowing - approx 2 ft fallen so far. Apparently Guildford is closed - lorries stuck in snowdrifts. A certain mod may be able to confirm or deny.

Andy Rylance
2nd Feb 2009, 06:54
well the moderators on pprune think that most london airports being closed due to snow is not news and have deleted the thread.

i wonder what the consider as "news affecting pilots" if that isn't.

bizarre

Gainesy
2nd Feb 2009, 07:02
About 2in here, approx 10nm S of LGW.

treadigraph
2nd Feb 2009, 07:09
Perhaps 8-10 inches here in Croydon. Think they forecast about four. and more to come this evening.

No trains, no buses... I walked to work along with plenty of other people, there are quiite a few cars out and about.

Got to find somewhere open to sell me some brekkers now...!

Tolsti
2nd Feb 2009, 07:10
About 2in here, approx 10nm S of LGW.

Thanks Gainsey... saves me looking out of the window. Hmmm I'm due to drive crew LGW-LTN-MAN-LGW today... wonder what the chances of that coming together are!!

merlinxx
2nd Feb 2009, 07:13
Wetherspoons afore ya get to the office !!!!! Go on you know you could do with a large Abbot !:E:ok::ok:

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 07:18
Go on you know you could do with a large Abbot !Like this?

http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/Vickers/PiCs37/AbbotSPG01.jpg

treadigraph
2nd Feb 2009, 07:19
Allo Merlin, now there's an excellent idea!

Like it Captain Stable, no probs getting to work in that, plus removal of any obstructions en route...

haughtney1
2nd Feb 2009, 07:23
About 10-12 inches here..about 2 miles east of EGLF :}

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 07:24
Interesting, haughtney - I'm about 5 m S of EGLF with a lot more snow - but probably on higher ground than you.

Gnirren
2nd Feb 2009, 07:28
You put your left hand out, you don the high-vis vest, you do the hokey pokey and you shake it all about.

Whas happund to global warmin then guvenah, eh?

Enjoy brick, no insulation, single-pane windows and frozen pipes :p

MadsDad
2nd Feb 2009, 07:30
Nothing at all here, but we aren't scheduled to get a delivery until tonight anyway.

Then there's apparently 'a sprinkling' due. Probably still bring the place to a grinding halt.

(I remember when I were a lad, walking to school in a blizzard, fighting off Polar Bears......).

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 07:33
Beeb R4 just announced that EGLL is now totally closed - they had been keeping one runway open.

haughtney1
2nd Feb 2009, 07:34
Captain Stable.....I've just been outside..its nearly 2 feet deep...my previous estimation was from the bathroom window :ok:

FWIW, I live mid slope near the hoggs-back :D

Gainesy
2nd Feb 2009, 07:37
10-12 feet Haughtney?:uhoh: You sure?:)

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 07:39
Yeah - they said on the radio not to even THINK of trying to travel on the Hog's Back.

I gather that EGLK looks somewhat like this:-

http://cerebralsynergy.com/e107_plugins/autogallery/Gallery/Funny%20Images/Planes,%20Trains%20and%20Automobiles/aircraft%20snow%20landing.jpg

so I shan't be going there today!

hellsbrink
2nd Feb 2009, 07:40
Been snowing here for a couple of hours, everything seems to be moving normally. Ok, there's no traffic at Antwerp Airport, but since the only routes are to London City and Manchester that doesn't surprise me!

Snow getting heavier though, looks like it could get rather good in another couple of hours

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Feb 2009, 07:40
Been snowing all night here in Surrey/Hants. There's a covering of at least six inches. My route in to work by road is currently closed by accidents and snowfall and there are no buses or trains.

If this was southern Germany, I'd be at work by now, no effort!

Heathrow has apparently just closed...

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 07:44
Beatriz, sounds like you're close to both haughtney and me.

mocoman
2nd Feb 2009, 08:07
Fleet's got about 10-12" where I am. Starting to see aircraft diverting out of OCK down towards Bristol/Cardiff.

Another great day for the gritting services on the roads!

:=

DAL208
2nd Feb 2009, 08:08
have all london airports closed? just heathrow?

tony draper
2nd Feb 2009, 08:11
Has anybody actually tried to analyze why a bit of occasional snow causes such chaos these days when we seemed to cope with it just about every year perfectly well in times past?
:confused:

hellsbrink
2nd Feb 2009, 08:16
According to BBC - Travel News - Air (http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/public/air.shtml)

London City closed
Heathrow closed
Luton closed

Delays at Gatwick and Stansted

GROUNDHOG
2nd Feb 2009, 08:21
Falmouth Cornwall, balmy two degrees no frost, no snow, I am so glad Cornwall is not in England! ( only joking). Will not gloat though because in July when its 80 degrees up country it will probably be passing with rain down here.

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Feb 2009, 08:25
Problem is, Drapes, in times past, we were a more localised society. Kids went to the local school, we all worked locally (or lived away during the week) so no long commute. There wasn't the cargo on the roads that there is now.

Now everyone travels further to do everything so the snow does rather get in the way.

I will be resurrecting the old traditions by heading to my local pub at opening time :ok:

(Still snowing - about another inch in the past hour)

lamina
2nd Feb 2009, 08:28
Pathetic. My kids have just been sent home from school. Teachers are there but most children are missing due two inches of snow. Their parents are light weight tossers, and twats to boot.
I honestly despise this wimpish attitude.

Thats better

1DC
2nd Feb 2009, 08:37
We had a forecast for 5 to 10 cms by this morning, reality is less than a centimetre. Must be a lot worse all around me though,surely, must be a genuine reason for the 80 schools in the area that are closed.Surely!!

Gainesy
2nd Feb 2009, 08:39
Met Office website is now tits up. Sheer genius.:mad:

lexxity
2nd Feb 2009, 08:40
About an inch or snow up here in MAN. Airport still open, can still here them overhead. :ok: More forecast for later. We are going sledging. :ok:

tony draper
2nd Feb 2009, 08:50
Buggah! never seen a sledge for years,used to be one hanging up on a nail in every back yard in my sproghood,they had to sturdy enough to carry a hundredweight sack of coal as well.
:)
Thunder and lightning here ten minutes ago,now the sun is shining :uhoh:

Radar66
2nd Feb 2009, 08:54
Sister in Tunbridge, Kent and sister in Milland, Hants/Sussex boreders both snowed in, and brother in law has been stuck on a train halfway twixt London and Liphook for 2 hours. Chum that was supposed to be coming to lunch is snowed in in Fleet.

Brother in Lausanne is operating as normal however despite a few metres of the white stuff.

We're being brave and intrepid - we're going to brave our dusting of icing sugar to have lunch with the aged parentials 15 mins east of us up the A303 in Zummersett... :cool:

lexxity
2nd Feb 2009, 08:59
Friend in East Molesy (Near Hampton Court) is snowed in. Her Daughters school is closed.

Richard Taylor
2nd Feb 2009, 09:06
Well there was only a light skimming of snow in Aberdeen - I believe more stuff is due in E Scotland overnight.

I hear the LONDON UNDERGROUND has been affected - wot, is the roof leaking??? :}

Parapunter
2nd Feb 2009, 09:11
Bugger work. I'm going snowboarding off Devils Dyke. Woo Hoo!

Radar66
2nd Feb 2009, 09:12
the word underground is a misnomer - the trains run above ground for most of their tracks bar in central london - even then some areas such as the Barbican are overground.

Llademos
2nd Feb 2009, 09:15
While I'd normally jump on the 'why can't we deal with it' bandwaggon, this appears to be the worst for 18 years.

Still, thank goodness for global warming, eh?

Storminnorm
2nd Feb 2009, 09:21
It's lovely stuff to see though, innit?
From INSIDE.
Phone call from G-Daughter's school.
Today has been cancelled. Whimps!!!!!

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 09:23
Norm, are you under a snowdrift with your laptop or summat???? Seeing the snow from inside?????????? :confused: :}

throw a dyce
2nd Feb 2009, 09:24
It's called WINTER and has been forecast for a week.Just get on with it,like NE Scotland,Canada,or Scandanavia does.Get your shovels out and start digging.:p

maliyahsdad
2nd Feb 2009, 09:25
we can't deal with it because we don't have the infrastructure to cope, and we don't have the infrastructure because in reality we dont have much snow at all, only a light dusting most recent winters.
if we had more snow it would be worth buying all the snow clearing gizmos, people would also know how to drive on snow without falling off the road every 500 mtrs causing even more road closures!:ugh:

Storminnorm
2nd Feb 2009, 09:26
Igloos my dear Capt. Igloos.
G-Daughter doesn't hang around.
10 yr old Whirlwind when SNOW arrives.

Richard Taylor
2nd Feb 2009, 09:26
TaD hope you have your shovel ready, snowing pretty hard now!! ;)

I did know parts of London Underground are Overground! ;)

treadigraph
2nd Feb 2009, 09:44
Teachers are there but most children are missing due two inches of snow. Their parents are light weight tossers, and twats to boot.

And I bet they all have 4WDs as well! :ok:

CherokeeDriver
2nd Feb 2009, 09:48
Can confirm that Guildford is closed for business, and all schools in Surrey are shut.

My little 2.75yr old having a GREAT time up to his neck in snow in the garden of Cherokee Mansions.

Stockpiling of Milk and Bread occuring at M&S in Merrow.:mad:

Wooo Hoooo - We're off with a tray and a bin liner to find a steep hill nr St Marthas!!:ok:

Storminnorm
2nd Feb 2009, 09:52
Milk and bread from M&S?
Goodness me, YOU live well!

blue up
2nd Feb 2009, 09:53
Clear skies round Cardiff. Come on in.....they need the handling charges.

I've got a TFS tomorrow morning and will drag the Morris Minor out since those skinny tyres cut through like ice-skates whereas the Merc flounders. Flat/frozen battery? Use the crank handle!

Storminnorm
2nd Feb 2009, 09:55
Mind your thumb Blue Up. Broke mine once
cranking a Moggie Minor. B*gger!

rog747
2nd Feb 2009, 09:59
i think i shall wrap up warm and go for a nice walk to hyde park then a hot chocolate:O

angels
2nd Feb 2009, 10:09
Mind your thumb Blue Up. Broke mine once
cranking a Moggie Minor. B*gger!

Blimey! My Moggie had to be started by the crank about 50 percent of the time. She never bit back though! Wonderful first motor.

Re the snow, coming down quite heavily here in Canary Wharf at the moment. I live just over the river and hitch hiked through the Blackwall Tunnel. Been a few years since I hitched! :ok:

alC
2nd Feb 2009, 10:28
Not that I'm too fussed.
Off work with chest infection.

I've spent the morning staring at the inside of a bowl of hot water laced with mustard.
What can I breathe in that'll shift the green stuff ?

Wish I had some whiskey in.

Northern Listener
2nd Feb 2009, 10:34
...an' all that.

So it's not just me then!

It's the beginning of February, which as no surprise comes after January, generally regarded as part of the Winterness time type period in the UK AND the Met office actually made a reasonably accurate forecast for snow.
So what happened?

It Snowed!
Well bugger me I didn't expect Snow! In February! In the UK! In Winter!

How did Gordon Brown let that happen?

It's a bit of Snow and the whole country goes giddy and falls over, now going giddy and falling over is pretty much what I expect......from my three year old!

So we've got a plane in the grass again at Heathrow, the only people turning up for work are Johnny Foreigner and those on Strike, the trains...well its the wrong type of leaves/rails/rain/sun/wind/day/week or Snow so no change there.
The schools, WTF! The teachers are really showing the youth of today, the future leaders of this great country, how to lead from the front and let nothing phase you by staying bed!

What would Heathrow do with a third runway right now? Show the World how we can f*ck it up royally 3 ways!

Makes you proud doesn't it.

stickandrudderman
2nd Feb 2009, 11:01
I have a small business in Richmond Surrey, and I live 30 miles away in Sth Bucks.
I happily got in the car and attempted the journey this morning but elected to turn back because of a combination of most other road users not being competent in these conditions and the radio forecast telling me that there's more on the way, thereby increasing the likelyhood of being stranded on the M4/M25 on the way home later.
Imagine my embarrassment then when I telephoned a Latvian guy who was supposed to start work for me for the first time today at 7.30.
He lives (currently) in Thetford, and had left home at 4am to get to work, and had made it on time!!
He was quite upset when I told him that there would be no work today. Not just because he wanted to work, but because he lives on a friend's sofa and has nowhere to go until this evening!
This is the kind of employee that leads to British companies preferring foreign workers!

scott_cardiff
2nd Feb 2009, 11:19
blue up

I'm also on the TFS flight tomorrow morning..are you on the TOM or TCX?

scott_cardiff

S'land
2nd Feb 2009, 11:44
If this was southern Germany, I'd be at work by now, no effort!

Yes, but the buses can run anything up to 5 minutes late if we have more than 1m of snow. The trains are usually up to 4 minutes late in the same conditions.

The big difference here is that we are used to having this amount of snow, it happens every year so we prepare for it. In September/October you see new snow moving being delivered and the local councils filling up the grit bins. The local farmers and contractors, who do quite a lot of the snow clearing will have the snow ploughs ready to be fitted to tractors and lorries by the end of October.

Another reason that traffic moves here is that everyone fits winter tyres to their car, usually at the end of October or beginning of November.

In the case of the UK it is 18 years since snow like this happened. I was living in Italy then and on a business trip to the UK at the time. I had had to drive from Scotland down to Lewes when it snowed. The Motorways were reasonably clear, but the side roads were not. I had driven over from Italy and had my snow chains in the car. I fitted them when I had to go on the side roads. I was stopped by the police and told to remove them as they were illegal. I did so and instantly became stuck so asked the police if this was their intention. They said they were only following the law and left, on foot as they were also stuck, to go back to the station. I re-fitted the chains and drove away.

ORAC
2nd Feb 2009, 11:59
Tim Worstall (http://timworstall.com/2009/02/02/a-snippet-of-my-morning-commute/) :D:D;)

"The snow fell crisp and even over night so when we arose, Arkady and Sasha worked with the horses to get the troika ready. Our breath looked like clouds and the animals steamed in the cold winter air. Then we were off, to town, a glorious journey through the winter wonderland. Sadly, we lost Uncle Vanya though, we had to throw him overboard as the wolves gained upon us along the South Lambeth Road."

simon brown
2nd Feb 2009, 12:22
Bet the missus a fiver that it won't snow in Bristol as it never does...its starting to settle..b**ger.

Better not venture too far as i havent had my pedestrian health and safety ( walking in snow appendix 1 biped)) audit yet and also have yet to apply for my Health and safety ( driving in snow) certificate as well.

You'd think with all thats going on in the world a bit of snow wouldnt really make rolling news...a bit of a welome diversion from the credit crunch I suppose

rotornut
2nd Feb 2009, 12:25
Afraid of a little snow and cold? Thomsen River - Past 24 Hour Conditions - Environment Canada (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/24_hour_conditions_e.html?wyf&unit=m)

blue up
2nd Feb 2009, 12:27
Below freezing outside and a huge BumbleBee was beating his brains out on the glass to get in. Now I don't blame him for wanting to keep warm, but WTF is he doing out in early February?

Ripline
2nd Feb 2009, 12:42
but WTF is he doing out in early February?

She. Only the fertilised queens overwinter in a hole somewhere. Probably attracted out by the raised light levels caused by the snow. They're pretty hardy (up to a point), not like the honey bee, which won't usually stir until it warms up....

Anyway. Coming back from Chateau D'Oex yesterday (-14 overnight) it was snowing lightly across most of central and northern France. Dover clear, but pretty awesome on the M20/M25/M40 back to Oxford at around 3 this morning. Good call - should have been on this evening's ferry but decided to return early :D

Amazing number of people who think that a low-slung sports car is OK in these conditions! At one point had to pirrouet through a clutch of spinny things trying to keep up with the Discovery and 4-wheel trailer, but that was only one hairy moment. Don't get me started on the morons who put their hazards on in falling snow at night and drive on regardless at an insanely low speed on the only clear track.

Thought I was doing well until a big Brit artic smashed by in the outside lane doing 50 clearing a nice track for me to follow and piloted me most of the way to the M40, thanks, mate:ok:

Thought about chains, but decided not. What's that about them being against the law? Don't have chapter & verse on that, but it doesn't sound right to me if there's hard layers on any road. Invite the buggers to try and follow.....

Ripline

S'land
2nd Feb 2009, 12:44
.... but WTF is he doing out in early February?

Insomnia? ................

Blacksheep
2nd Feb 2009, 12:53
Cleared six inches of snow of the CR-V this morning and set off for work. Couldn't believe some of the sights on the way. Some idiots driving without clearing any of the snow off their cars apart from the bit of the windscreen that the wipers cleared. :ooh:

Passed a milkman, stoically doing the old fashioned doorstep deliveries. Brought back memories of wintry mornings, trudging through welly-boot high snow delivering newspapers, then out on the bike, riding to school. I cannot ever remember our school being closed, though admittedly in juniors we mostly lived within walking distance (i.e. a mile and a half maximum) of the school. In seniors I rode three miles on my bike. Dad and Grandad went to work by bicycle too, it was only a couple of miles to Billingham ICI from our neighbourhood.

Still, a bit of a blizzard is better than having a forest fire rip through your patch, eh?

er340790
2nd Feb 2009, 12:59
Just to give a bit of perspective:

20cms or less here does not get a mention.

20-40 cms warrants a weather advisory.

40cms+ gets a weather warning. Everything is moving normally again within 2 hours.

Not rocket science. Just basic common sense, a bit of preparedness and organisation by people possessing at least half a brain. No holders of PhDs in Global Warming Studies either.

Someone let Gordon know.

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 13:05
er, yes.

However, the rarity of conditions such as ours does not warrant councils owning and maintaining huge snowploughs, snowblowers, all the subsidiary equipment. It would get used once in 20 years.

I think you might be able to do the maths yourself.When we do get snow, it generally lasts such a short time that if anyone were to fit chains or studded tyres, the damage they would do to the road is incalculable. Hence they are illegal.

Not rocket science. Just basic common sense. Go get that half a brain - it might improve your capacity to do an intelligent analysis. So you can stuff your patronising idiocy where the sun doesn't shine.

wings folded
2nd Feb 2009, 13:07
A bit of snow also brings out the best in our favourite journalists.

Just read in the Eastern Evening News that:

"People travelling to Stansted Airport are being warned there could be delays as one runway is shut although the Essex airport does remain open."

Which one runway would that be then?

The one which points vaguely 230 degrees or that totally different one which points 050 degrees?

Glad to hear that all the others are open though.

22 Degree Halo
2nd Feb 2009, 13:07
A Red Alert issued:}

Met Office: North East England: severe weather warnings (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_warnings.html#flash)

rotornut
2nd Feb 2009, 13:12
Some idiots driving without clearing any of the snow off their cars apart from the bit of the windscreen that the wipers cleared.
Some do that here too every time it snows. Plus people tend to drive too fast - guess what happens: CP24.com | News Photos (http://www.cp24.com/tl/photo.html?pname=http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20090201/320_cp24_accident_090201.jpg&win_width=515.0&description=Police)

er340790
2nd Feb 2009, 13:15
CS - Looser pair of underwear required.

Detachable snowplows for city vehicles are an extremely cost-effective solution. Likewise all-season tyres (for 2wd) vehicles cause minimal highway damage.

Still, why listen when you can go and shovel some nice fresh snow....:ugh:

sisemen
2nd Feb 2009, 13:26
Just picked up a guest ex Glasgow courtesy Emirates. 2 degrees Glasgow, 42 degrees Toodyay!

PS. I've looked and there's no snow :}

angels
2nd Feb 2009, 13:31
Snowball 1 - Man 0.

Snow disruption in Britain - live | News | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2009/feb/02/snow)

It's the bottom one of the two clips.

Flying Lawyer
2nd Feb 2009, 13:35
22 Degree Halo 1mm hits London..whoo-hooohttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif

A little more than 1mm.

We very rarely get snow in London.
This is the heaviest for 20 years or more.

Hmm! Let's try the tube. (Wimp ;) )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Album/Bike1.jpg

Bywater Street
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Album/BywaterSt16a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Album/BywaterSt19a.jpg

Royal Avenue & Royal Hospital Chelsea
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Album/RoyalAve6a.jpg

Sloane Square
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Album/SloaneSq1a.jpg

Pics taken while trying (and failing) to get to Court this morning.

FL

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2009, 13:38
:: The average snowflake has a top speed of 1.7 metres per second.

:: They are always hexagonal but the majority are not perfectly symmetrical - uneven temperatures, dirt and other factors usually cause them to be lopsided.

:: Snowflakes are not frozen raindrops. They form when water vapour in clouds freeze into ice crystals, which become snowflakes as they fall through the atmosphere.

:: According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest snowflake on record measured 38cm wide and 20cm thick. It was observed in Montana, USA in 1887 and described by witnesses as "larger than a milk pan".

:: It is a myth that Eskimos have 100 different words for 'snow'.

:: Chionophobia is a fear of snow.

:: The world's largest snowman was actually a snowwoman. Residents of Bethel, Maine built the 122 ft giant in 2008, giving her 30 ft spruce trees for arms and skis for eyelashes.

:: Around 12 per cent of the Earth's land surface is covered in permanent snow and ice.

:: Japanese scientists have developed a snow-eating robot, fitted with GPS, which shovels snow from the drive and compacts it into ice bricks.

:: It is possible to grow your own snow. Kenneth G Libbrecht, Professor of Physics at the California Institute of Technology, claims it can be done simply using dry ice, a plastic cola bottle, three Styrofoam cups, nylon fishing line and a paper clip.

telegraph

Liquid snow is falling here.

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2009, 14:03
Woolwich Ferry not running - due to snow, apparently :confused:

Storminnorm
2nd Feb 2009, 14:14
I can understand that.
Snow is FROZEN water.
It can't float! :ok:

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2009, 14:17
Tell that to the icebergs.

merlinxx
2nd Feb 2009, 14:52
I've just back from the pub and measured the depth, I've got 14" (snow that is afore you lot start:E)

Storminnorm
2nd Feb 2009, 14:58
It's amazing how a couple of pints make everything
seem so much BIGGER.

mr fish
2nd Feb 2009, 15:04
just like to say the correct pronounciation is SNURR!!!
to quote BIFFA BACON (viz),
EEE, I FUKIN LUV SNURR ME!!!!

brockenspectre
2nd Feb 2009, 15:13
Lovely lovely snow - apart from the main road(s) which are all brown and slushy and disgusting and have a few cars and lorries, none of which seem capable of avoiding splashing folks with slush as they pass at a steady 20mph or so (not even slowing for pedestrian crossings!).

Side roads still white, with a few yellow patches which my hound found irresistible!

Overheard someone saying that homeowners are no longer meant to clear the pavement in front of their homes because if they do, and someone falls on an icy patch, then that homeowner is liable to be sued!! Is this correct?

Here in the SE 'burbs of Londinium there has been probably about 8-10" and no real drifting (no wind)... in places up to the middle of my Shiba Inu hehehe :ok: Few people out and about but nice to see snowmen in the park and some gardens :ok:

Flying Lawyer - fabulous pics - what camera were you using?

corsair
2nd Feb 2009, 15:40
Flying Lawyer is that your motorcycle? If so you wimp;) I used to ride my motorcycle in snow. I found that if you rode with your wheels banging up against the kerbs you didn't fall off much.... more than twice or three times. I'm not joking either. I was crazy back then.

The only time I didn't ride the bike to work was when I came out and found it buried in a snowdrift. I felt justified in not turning up for work that day. When I rang the boss he reacted as if I was just being lazy. I got the last laugh though as everyone who made it into work ended up being trapped there for the weekend because the snowdrifts blocked the main road in.:)

Here on the west coast of the still emerald isle. It's a beautifully sunny day. A bit of a cold breeze that's all.

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 15:45
I was going to tease Flying Lawyer about needing to trade in his Honda VFR for something IFR... :}

"His Honour can't make it into court today as he's a fair-weather rider..." ;)

treadigraph
2nd Feb 2009, 16:21
About 10% of my colleagues made it to our office in the People's Republic of Croydon - I had a chat with the MD, who was at home, at about 12:30 and told him we all planned to go home while the going was good. He seemed to agree it was wise.

Bugger! En route, got waylaid in the Dog and Bull to the tune of five pints... and lunch. 2.5 mile walk home was Slushville Arizona, yuk! And it's snowing again.

Now to do the work I intended to do this afternoon...

greycoat
2nd Feb 2009, 16:35
and what's the rationale behind refunding the London congestion charge for those vehicles that made it in despite the snow. Should double it to make up for the lost revenue :E

Stockpicker
2nd Feb 2009, 16:41
I have just cycled home from work. The snow was horizontal into my face, I could barely see. Non-bus route roads were treacherous, bus route roads almost as bad because had to cycle on the snow, not the gritted bit which the cars took for their own. I have never been so cold, wet and miserable on a bike.

I am now home, however, and have a cold beer! :ok:

Hubby tells me the police popped into his London colleagues' office at lunchtime to suggest they work from home if possible. Sensible, I suppose, if it reduces the number of waifs and strays later on.

frostbite
2nd Feb 2009, 16:44
The person you overheard, Brockie, is quite right. Think a precedent for that madness was set some years ago.

I've only cleared my back path, just to put out some bird food, on the basis that they are not known for being litigious.

Out Of Trim
2nd Feb 2009, 16:56
Flying Lawyer - fabulous pics - what camera were you using? Today 16:04

[Image]
Make = Panasonic
Model = DMC-FZ28
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 180
Y Resolution = 180
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Date Time = 2009-02-02 12:31:37
YCbCr Positioning = co-sited
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 656
PrintIM Data = 208 Byte
C6D2 = 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00
C6D3 = 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 00
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/80"
F Number = F3.4
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2009-02-02 08:56:19
Date Time Digitized = 2009-02-02 08:56:19
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 4
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.83
Metering Mode = Pattern
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 13.3mm
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 800
Exif Image Height = 600
Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 1156
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Digital Zoom Ratio =
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 75mm
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Gain Control = None
Contrast = Normal
Saturation = Normal
Sharpness = Normal
[Interoperability]
Interoperability Index = ExifR98
Interoperability Version = Version 1.0
[Thumbnail Info]
Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 1282
JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 5332
[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 160 x 120

EpsilonVaz
2nd Feb 2009, 17:08
My dog enjoyed it! :D

http://www.flyvarun.net/sparkysnow.jpg

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2009, 17:21
One reason we struggle in UK with our vehicles in the snow is that tyre compounds are too hard. Winter tyres for colder climates use a softer rubber which gives more grip but they would wear very quickly on dry tarmac. Scandinavian countries also allow the use of metal studded tyres which give very good grip in the cold snow, as anyone who has been scared by a Norwegian taxi driver will be able to confirm.

Also, UK temperatures generally mean that the snow melts under the tyres, giving us slush to drive on, rather than crisp snow.

Brakes on
2nd Feb 2009, 17:52
S-land
The trains are usually up to 4 minutes late in the same conditions.
I bet that Herr Mehdorn (head of german railways) would be deliriously happy to have about 2 - 3 m of snow right now. He could thus blame the now unfortunately customary 20, 40, 60 min of train delays on weather.

west lakes
2nd Feb 2009, 17:56
Snowing again nicely here & getting a bit windy. The gritters were out and about here most of the day (all with snow ploughs fitted).
I just get a bit http://209.85.48.8/1889/52/emo/eusa_wall.gif with some folks. Every October every house in the county gets a leaflet from the County Council setting out the snow/ice clearance plan, the roads that will be cleared and gritted, when this will be done and warning that side roads may not get done at all.
So this morning set off, snow on the road in the estate, main roads clear - the first junction I come to is chaos as folk try to take their normal route/shortcut to work and can't get up a snowy un-gritted hill or back onto the main road either.
Of course the council will be at fault!!

raveng
2nd Feb 2009, 18:38
I spent the best part of an hour travelling to work, at EGLL. The car was sliding all over the place, I just kept reminding myself to stay in as high a gear as possible and not brake too hard. Had 20-23 cm of snow, but the lack of gritting in the South Bucks area was scary. :ugh::eek:And there were some nutjobs on the roads today, no lights on, travelling too fast for the road conditons - ggrrrhh.:eek: Still it was great fun building a snowman with my neighbours, all of us 40 plus reverting to being the biggest kids in town. Great. :):D:D:D

west lakes
2nd Feb 2009, 19:00
It's a funny thing I just checked two County Council websites in the SE, both have a clear gritting/snowploughing plan available for all to see, details the priority routes, when they grit, when they plough.
I'm willing to bet that all of the County Councils (and the Highway's agency) have published plans.
Of course if folks get onto roads and get stuck before they are ploughed it does kinda make it difficult to then clear it! (seen it happen)

Beatriz Fontana
2nd Feb 2009, 19:07
This is my sun dial:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3381/3247029423_838521326a.jpg

Still not entirely sure how I'm going to get to work tomorrow...

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2009, 19:15
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/images/snow-cat.jpg

pineridge
2nd Feb 2009, 19:46
er340790 said.......

"Just to give a bit of perspective:

20cms or less here does not get a mention.

20-40 cms warrants a weather advisory.

40cms+ gets a weather warning. Everything is moving normally again within 2 hours"

Not strictly speaking true; two or three inches of snow will probably shut Vancouver and Victoria down for a few hours. Around Christmas they received a real snowfall over several days shutting down the airports and causing several thousand holiday travellers serious problems. I recall that on one particular day around this time Air Canada cancelled all their medium and short-haul operations at Vancouver. Toronto and Montreal have not escaped Winter chaos either,especially over the Christmas period, and they are still suffering from an enormous amount of melting snow.
It is perhaps a little too easy to make fun of the drivers in mild climates when faced with real Winter but nobody in a normal vehicle should attempt to negotiate an unploughed twelve inches plus of snow-you`ll just get stuck. Get yourself a three-quarter ton 4WD pickup with a V8 motor and a power winch and you will probably be O.K. where ever you are, or stay home.

Blacksheep
2nd Feb 2009, 19:47
Driving into work through Harpenden this morning and the radio was reeling off the 480 schools that were not opening for business today. ALso announcing that there would be no school buses runing - neither council services nor private services. Then I passed a milkman, doing what milkmen have always done in the snow. Carry on regardless.

Driving home through Harpenden, all the kids were out on the common, making snowmen, throwing snowballs and generally behaving the way kids are supposed to when it snows.

Bloody wimps, yer modern school teachers... :rolleyes:

Flying Lawyer
2nd Feb 2009, 19:54
brockenspectre

Thanks.
I used a Lumix FZ28.
http://www.dphotojournal.com/images/panasonic/panasonic-fz28.jpg

First pictures with new camera I first saw highly recommended on PPRuNe and, when I did some research, in numerous photography forums.
Much cheaper than a DSLR and good enough for my purposes, it has a 27-486mm zoom which means no (very) expensive lenses to buy. It seems to be a good combination of Leica lens and Panasonic electronics.
All pics taken with programme set to 'Snow Scene' mode. I'll experiment with different settings in due course but, so far, I'm very happy with the automatic setting results.
[Resized/cropped with Photoshop, although it can (apparently) be done in-camera.]

Markham Square
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/MarkhamSq5a.jpg

Wellington Square
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/WellingtonSq3a.jpg

Captain Stable "His Honour can't make it into court today as he's a fair-weather rider..." http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif You're right.
I'll tackle anything on four (or more) wheels, but very much fair-weather on two.

corsair
You're right. See above. :)

Out of Trim
How do I obtain the EXIF data?
Of pics posted on the net and, more important, of pics I save on my computer (Windows XP) so I can compare settings for good and bad pics and see where I went wrong.

M.Mouse
2nd Feb 2009, 21:15
Snow chains are NOT illegal in the UK.

Compulsory equipment : snow chains and winter tyre requirements for ski resorts - The AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html)

jumpseater
2nd Feb 2009, 21:19
Some of the best pics I've seen of the London Snow FL! I bet the Royal Chelsea would love that one for next years Christmas card.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/2012images/IMG_0913.jpg

This afternoon 'we' built our first really good snowman!:D

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2009, 21:41
Now, here's my winter question:

If an aircraft is placed on a snow covered conveyor belt but has snow chains fitted to the tyres, will it be able to take off?

frostbite
2nd Feb 2009, 21:46
it can (apparently) be done in-camera

Having also purchased one a few months ago I don't doubt you are correct - it's a hell of a user manual to wade through isn't it!

As a former professional photographer I'm ashamed to admit that I usually use it with automatic everything set.

Widger
2nd Feb 2009, 21:49
I saw the forecast on Sunday afternoon and decided to head back to work on Sunday Night. Started snowing at Haselmere and by Guildford the road was covered (8pm). A3 still had idiots driving too fast in their two wheel drive vehicles. I have snow chains but there was not enough snow to use them and got to work without incident and before the carnage on the A3 and M25 Felt reet seen off this morning at work as loads of lazy [email protected]@@@@@s decided to not even bother coming in or the locals went home early! Yeah yeah who is the fool?

Wife rang. Could not get car out of the road but walked kids to bus stop. The school bus came and took the youths to school only for the school to ring half an hour later to say that the school was closed. 50 kids now stranded at school with parents unable to reach them!

Foxy Loxy
2nd Feb 2009, 21:53
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/Foxy_Loxy/NCA090202002.jpg

And they say it never snows in Cornwall! "They" are wrong...

S'land
2nd Feb 2009, 22:26
Brakes on:
I suppose it depends on which part of Germany you are in and which services you use. In the Bodensee area we do not seem to have problems, the local trains seem to run very much to schedule.

M. Mouse:
I was only going on what I was told by officers of the law. Perhaps they were just annoyed that I, with a foreign registered car, was able to drive in the snowy conditions and they could not.

BombayDuck
3rd Feb 2009, 00:53
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/Flanker30MKI/pano2.jpg

This is a four-image-composite shot.

sisemen
3rd Feb 2009, 03:06
Now which ex-RAF base is that Bombay?

Richard Taylor
3rd Feb 2009, 06:12
Well where was the forecast heavy snow? Looked out of my window...nada.

Captain Stable
3rd Feb 2009, 10:59
Flying Lawyer - I concur entirely. I have no particular wish to kill myself - there are quite enough people attempting that particular feat (everyone else when I'm on two wheels, slightly fewer otherwise ;) ) without me attempting vehicular suicide. I put the cover on the Kwak on Sunday afternoon and was very glad I did.

This morning in deepest Surrey/Hants we've had everything this morning. A little bit of sun, then hail, now back to thick, heavy snow falling.

Out walking earlier I saw three cars out. One was going very gingerly. One was stopped in the middle of the road, apparently having given up. One was trying to get up the hill, having trouble. Then Sir Isaac Newton took over and it went backwards down the hill, then experimented briefly with going sideways across the road before the wheels slammed into the kerb.

My car (and bike) are staying put pro tem!

Windy Militant
3rd Feb 2009, 12:42
M. Mouse:
Snow chains are one of those grey areas. It is not against the law to fit them. However it is illegal to damage the road surface. There was a case back in about 1978 where a driver was taken to court for using chains but was exonerated as the chains were in contact with the snow not the road.
I don't know if they've changed the law since then, a quick google gets lots of information from the rest of the world but a search on the Highways agency site for snow chains brings up a description of a medieval measuring system.:rolleyes:

Blacksheep
3rd Feb 2009, 12:43
Here's a sight for a laugh. The BBC reporting on the snow (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7866294.stm). Click on the movie and it opens with a car driving along a road that reminds me of my first driving lesson one cold and snowy February afternoon. Then you see a reporter walking about in snow that is just about ankle deep, followed by a view of traffic hurtling nonchalently along a motorway. Personally, I don't think the snow is any worse than any other winter in my memory. Its just the fuss that's got worse. I blame the rise of 'Elth 'n Safety and the huge fluffy army that our Civil Service has turned into over the past ten years of New Labour. We even have them spending our tax money on producing pamphlets to tell us how to wrap up warm. :yuk:

We'd be the laughing stock of Europe if we weren't already. :hmm:

G-CPTN
3rd Feb 2009, 12:53
I would be interesting to get a response from an official Health-and-Safety spokesperson, as education folk are justifying the closure of schools on grounds of H&S . . .

corsair
3rd Feb 2009, 13:04
It still hasn't snowed here, damm this place is practically sub-tropical. I was hoping to introduce my two year old son to snow and snowball fights. Not only that I wanted irritate his Mother by tramping snow all over house and leaving wet coats on the floor. What's the point in having sons if you can't get out to play in the snow.:{

Beatriz Fontana
3rd Feb 2009, 15:12
Day two stuck at home. The snow is melting nicely and I managed to dig the car out.

But still stuck. That's because the rail service in this neck of the woods CAN'T BE :mad: TO RUN A SERVICE!!

jumpseater
3rd Feb 2009, 15:34
as education folk are justifying the closure of schools on grounds of H&S . . .

I'm not H&S but that is partly correct IIRC. This is due to the risks of 'making' teachers/employees come to school/work in potentially dangerous conditions, the employer has a duty of care to their employee not to force/coerce them to do something too risky, that can include coming to work when police etc are advising people to stay indoors and not travel.

There's also the issue of the distance many teachers travel these days, the days of the teachers living in the same village or town as their school are long gone. When I was at School up to the early 80's most teachers were local. My daughters teachers are comparativley spread far and wide, so they get caught in the same disruption as the general public..

Out Of Trim
3rd Feb 2009, 16:39
Flying Lawyer

Nice photos by the way!

Out of Trim
How do I obtain the EXIF data?
Of pics posted on the net and, more important, of pics I save on my computer (Windows XP) so I can compare settings for good and bad pics and see where I went wrong.

I use a couple of free download programs for Exif Data.

Opanda IEXIF - quick and easy to use for the PC- right click image and open Exif data - available here :- Opanda.com - Professional Photography Software (DigitalFilm, PowerExif, IExif, PhotoFilter) (http://www.opanda.com/)

or for even more detail

PhotoMe.de available here:- PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor (http://www.photome.de/)

They work as long as the Exif data has not been stripped from the image, as some software or photo storing sites do.

Lon More
3rd Feb 2009, 19:30
Doesn't seem to be bothering Scotland much.

Never mind, those in the South, it'll melt soon and normal service will be resumed
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/DuglaubstdeinJobistScheisse_67.jpg

AJMortimer
3rd Feb 2009, 19:52
Post edited

If you want to discuss global warming, there's a discussion on this thread.

Link: Global warming, Global Cooling or Global Taxing (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/321125-global-warming-global-cooling-global-taxing.html?)

If I wanted to discuss Global Warming I would have posted on that Thread.

My Post was about SNOW - and how it has been affected by Global Warming, not about Global Warming per se.

If you're going to edit and move Posts if they go, in your opinion, slightly of topic then:

1. You may as well move ALL Posts on ALL Threads that wander off topic in order to be consistent (rather than an annoying, ad hoc, approach);

2. You will annoy everyone anyway; and

3. Does it really matter?!

AJ

(pi***d off by someone else interfering in my life for no good reason)

StaceyF
4th Feb 2009, 04:54
We'd be the laughing stock of Europe if we weren't already. :hmm:

:D:D:D

There is so much truth in THIS (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1135450/QUENTIN-LETTS-A-nation-bedwetters--bit-snow-saw-spirit-Capt-Scott-melt-away.html) Quentin Letts article.

Krystal n chips
4th Feb 2009, 05:12
Just one little question please.

Given that this little event has come from Russia and duly passed over a few countries en-route, how come there was / has been no mention of "chaos ! / arctic hell!" etc, etc, until the wx reached the UK then ?.......:E:rolleyes:

Richard Taylor
4th Feb 2009, 05:54
Well well - when least expected, a blanket of snow in Aberdeen this morning, when if anything, only rain was forecast. It rained all day yesterday.

Sadly, too close to work & not deep enough to give the 9-5 a miss.:{

throw a dyce
4th Feb 2009, 07:51
R/T,
Yes quite heavy snow in the sticks now.BBC forecast is for sun in the souf and rain in the north.:D
Everyone around here off to work like nothing is happening,and absolutely nothing on the media.Par for the course as usual.Where's my shovel.:hmm:

Blacksheep
4th Feb 2009, 08:20
when police etc are advising people to stay indoors and not travel.
But why were the police handing out this advice? :confused:
When I was at School up to the early 80's most teachers were local.As they were in the fifties. But how local is local? Our teachers came from all over the borough and most would have been travelling from three to five miles - mostly by bicycle! Only two had cars.

Brilliant! This photo should be printed out and pasted on the wall of every school, council office, bus depot and railway station in the land.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/04/article-1135450-034A60B7000005DC-184_468x384.jpg

alwayzinit
4th Feb 2009, 08:40
It has always bugged me why we don't do what elsewhere does and switch to Snow/Mud tyres on a set date, then the need for salting/gritting is removed or most certainly greatly reduced.

If I remember my chemistry right salt only lowers the freezing point of water to -5 deg C so any ground temp lower than that and it's useless anyway.

I dread to think how much salt is artificially pumped into the enviroment and how much cash is literally washed down the drain.

The winter tyres I put on have lasted 4 winters + skiing on the continent with loads of wear left and with chains just about everywhere is accessible.

The other up side of winter tyres is they are limited on speed so everybody has to slow down.(unless you are Italian!:E)........not a bad thing when its slippery.

mocoman
4th Feb 2009, 08:42
A thought springs to mind:

If the police, and other government lackies, are issuing the edict that one should only travel if essential then what will your insurance company say if you use your vehicle and then have a bump?

As is increasingly evident, insurers will grab at any straw to avoid paying-out upon a claim. So would they attempt to use these over-zealous statements urging us to wrap ourselves in cotton-wool and stay inside as a reason to dodge covering motorists for 'all risks'

:confused:

Storminnorm
4th Feb 2009, 08:49
Let's face it, we've just become a nation of whinging weaklings.
Doomed to taking to our little hidey holes when things don't
quite go as we want them to.
Great Britain? Not any more! :ugh:
I can still remember my exploits in the winter of '62-'63.
We really enjoyed the CHALLENGE then!
Not any more. Ooooh it's too cold! Take another day off!
T*ssers!

Windy Militant
4th Feb 2009, 08:51
As they were in the fifties. But how local is local? Our teachers came from all over the borough and most would have been travelling from three to five miles
Most people would consider walking five miles in the snow, the average commute these days is around twenty five to thirty miles...... after you then! :}
When I was young and stupid I rode my XT 500 twenty miles to and from work for about four weeks in the winter of 1981/82.
That said there was bugger all else much moving.
I'd think twice about doing that in a car these days, too many idiots about!
The other thing is usually in this country snow usually only lasts a day or two so fighting your way into work risking life and limb is just not worth it as a friend of mine found out. He was doing the whole Thatcher era macho thing, stuffed his car under a lorry and ended up in traction for six weeks losing his job in the process. Roads were clear next day. :ugh:

candoo
4th Feb 2009, 09:05
Why the **** can't peeps be bothered to clear the snow off their cars and vans. A hell of a lot of peeps are driving around with mini snowdrifts on their cars which have become frozen solid, lethal weapons once any speed is attained and they become detached. Twice nearly lost me screen on the way in this morning (or sounded like it anyway!).

corsair
4th Feb 2009, 10:20
Don't be too hard on yourselves, you've just lost the knack what with all these mild winters recently. A couple of cold winters will change all that and soon everyone will ski to work quite happily.

It still hasn't feckin snowed here on the Atlantic coast, most disappointing.

Blacksheep
4th Feb 2009, 10:50
Most people would consider walking five miles in the snow, the average commute these days is around twenty five to thirty miles...... after you then! I am comparing the 1950-60s three mile bicycle ride with today's twenty mile commute in a nice warm, modern motor car, equipped with modern tyres, steering and braking systems. I had my first driving lesson in rural Oxfordshire - around Bampton and Clanfield - on a cold and snowy February day exactly the same as Monday. I wasn't driving a nice modern motor either, it was a 1959 Humber with two inches of play in the steering wheel, drum brakes all round and a dodgy clutch - a typical car of the time just like most people drove then. Even in the snow. ;)

I dread to think how much salt is artificially pumped into the enviroment That's the eco-friendly organic salts they use now - either potassium acetate, potassium formate, sodium acetate or sodium formate.

BMW and other "premium" motor drivers should be aware of the effect it has on carbon fibre brake systems...

Catalytic oxidation of the carbon material is based on time at temperature and the level of catalyst contamination. When the carbon disk’s temperature is elevated to normal or higher brake-operating temperatures with a compromised anti-oxidation coating, the alkali metal catalytic deposits react with oxygen and the carbon material, resulting in the loss of mass
through an oxygen-transfer mechanism, leading to the structural degradation of the carbon disk over time. The structural degradation rate is dependant on the amount of contamination present, and the time the carbon disk remains at an elevated temperature.

candoo
4th Feb 2009, 12:17
Blacksheep - I thought I read somewhere recently that 90% of the salt used for gritting the UK roads was in fact rock salt containing 90% sodium chloride and was mined mostly in Cheshire.

Are these other chemicals additives?

Was I led up the (de-iced) garden path?

Blacksheep
4th Feb 2009, 12:37
It may well be sodium chloride, but the fluffies in the council would never admit to it. Everything must be "Green" nowadays. In fact, Ive been told by someone in the know, that Labour Party Members have been required to pee distilled water since Tony's second coming. ;)

Card carrying Liberal Democrats are of course not permitted to pee at all. :}

Beatriz Fontana
4th Feb 2009, 16:32
Blacksheep, that's not a South West Trains train, is it? :}

Candoo, there were far too many vehicles still covered in snow hurtling along the M25 this morning. :mad: dangerous if you ask me.

Much more snow and I'll be skiing to work.

Lon More
4th Feb 2009, 16:46
I remember that when i took my bike test back in 1965/6 there was several inches of snow on the ground. I was complimented on my emergency stop because I didn't drop it or put my feet down

Rollingthunder
4th Feb 2009, 17:30
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Oshkosh/1948OshkoshWT-2206SnowPlow-Dumper-RoadGrader.jpg

Oshkosh. "The Truck of Trucks"
Get a few.

Richard Taylor
5th Feb 2009, 10:00
Sun splitting the sky here today......

corsair
5th Feb 2009, 10:49
Here as well, it's even mild. The worst we've had is a sleety shower.

throw a dyce
5th Feb 2009, 11:12
I heard a little factoid on the local telly last night.London has 40 MORE road gritters than the whole of Scotland.
Yet it's total chaos in the South,and now they are running out of salt.There has been about 5 inches of snow here last night,and as usual life goes on as normal.The main roads are fine,buses are running,people are at work.I must be missing something.

Flap 5
5th Feb 2009, 11:22
I used to fly helicopters out of Aberdeen many years ago and pilots would get snowed in when they lived in places like Huntly or Turriff. So it does happen in Scotland as well.

Today my kids school in Hertfordshire is open according to their website. The bus isn't running though and we couldn't get out of our road. In fact it is worse than it was on Monday when the school was officially closed. Mind you when we phoned the school we just got a recorded message saying the school was definitley open! But no one was there to answer the phone!

seacue
5th Feb 2009, 11:56
There is snow and then there is snow.

I've lived most of my life in the Washington, DC, area. Our snow usually comes when the weather is just below 32F/0C. The snow is rather wet. Put a foot or a tire on it and it turns to slush and then refreezes to ice when you remove the pressure. Not conducive to easy travel with dense traffic and some hills.

I spent two winters in Boulder, Colorado. Most of their snow is light and fluffy and easily blown off the roads. But once during my tenure they had a snow like Washington's. They couldn't get around any better than we easterners in DC.

I suggest that there is a difference between Scottish snow and that in the Southeast which may partly explain the greater effect.

Richard Taylor
5th Feb 2009, 12:04
I was partly joking about the sun in Aberdeen earlier! I walked to work arriving like Scott of the Antarctic! :eek:

It's OK now...wasn't this morning. But nothing like you would get in USA/Canada, granted!

Blacksheep
5th Feb 2009, 12:42
Four hours from Hatfield to Luton Airport this morning - of which three were spent on the last mile from the A1081 junction with Hadley Wood roundabout!

Captain Stable
5th Feb 2009, 12:59
I walked to work arriving like Scott of the Antarctic!Beware similes like that - he died and was buried in a little frozen cairn there... :uhoh:

M.Mouse
5th Feb 2009, 14:17
Snow chains are one of those grey areas. It is not against the law to fit them. However it is illegal to damage the road surface.

I call that fairly black and white. NOT illegal to use. Illegal to damage the road surface. If I am clever enough to fit snow chains then I think I am clever enough to know when to take them off again. Apart from anything they will rapidly damage your tyres if used on a hard surface.

A statement was made that it is illegal to use snow chains in the UK. One of my pet subjects is declarations made on an internet site which are incorrect, however well intentioned the statement. If I am unsure of something I try and find the definitive answer, if I can't I either say I am unsure or omit the statement.

False information can, and is, promulgated with frightening speed in the modern world.

Getting off my high horse, some excellent pictures in this thread. I particularly like the one of Markham Square.

throw a dyce
5th Feb 2009, 14:40
All weather tyres.Fitted Michelin Alpines on a Toyota.The car was a sledge on the standard tyres.On the all weathers brilliant.In fact I was wanting it to snow to see if they would get stuck.Never did.:)

mr fish
5th Feb 2009, 14:56
god bless the PRN(peoples republic of nottingham).
in the past week myself, family and friends have not seen, or seen evidence of a single gritting lorry.
but, bless them, this morning they sent out the road sweepers!!!!
THERES FOUR INCHES OF SNOW IN THE GUTTERS!!!!
f:mad:ng clowns:{

22 Degree Halo
5th Feb 2009, 20:06
God, it must be cringeworthy to the viewing world who read BBC or Sky news online.

Pretty much 5 days of ticker bar, breaking news all due to snowfall.

Really shows how the UK...England in particular.. what a bunch of soft individuals we / they really are:rolleyes:

corsair
5th Feb 2009, 20:32
I walked to work arriving like Scott of the Antarctic!

Beware similes like that - he died and was buried in a little frozen cairn there...

Better to say arriving like Shackleton, who not only arrived but got all his men out too. (But then he was Irish).

Away from the city, walking through snow can be quite tiring, even dangerous. I remember during a blizzard one night heading out for a walk with my sister, onto the playing fields behind the house, never actually out of sight of the house. The walk out was fine but getting back turned into one of those epics as we struggled through the deep snow, every step an exhausting effort as the energy drained from our frozen bodies, resisting the urge to lie down and utter the immortal words, 'I can't go on, leave me, save yourself'. We weren't in any real danger but it brought home the risks associated with deep snow. Trying to walk home down a snowbound country road could be very risky.

But that's all in the past as it hasn't snowed here at all. It was another beautiful sunny day. Damm:{

M.Mouse
5th Feb 2009, 21:31
In 1982 I was driving a mini van and going to a friend's house. He lived at the top of a medium hill about a half mile long. It was snowing heavily and blowing into drifts. The old mini sits quite low and at the bottom of the hill I could hear the floor pan was in the snow. Half way up the hill cars had been abandoned. I reversed to the pub car park at the bottom of the hill and with only a thin wind cheater type jacket and no hat (I have little hair) I set out to walk the short distance to the house.

Half way up the hill I was in waist deep drifting snow, the snow was being blown horizontally by strong wind and I was rapidly becoming exhausted and very, very cold. I could see the lights of the house I was going to and being quite young, fit and determined I struggled on and arrived physically spent. I had begun to worry about being overcome with the effort and the cold. I was amazed at the short period of time from being warm and feeling fine to bitterly cold and worried about my ability to survive, and that is no exaggeration. It was very frightening and I understood from then on how easy it is for people to die from exposure.

I always have an old coat and a hat in the boot of my car and given that situation again I would have just turned around and gone home.

Windy Militant
5th Feb 2009, 21:34
Trying to walk home down a snowbound country road could be very risky.
I remember in 1981/82 nearly wetting my self laughing at a self appointed snow survival expert, when shortly after he'd said "there's no problem getting round in the snow, you just walk on the hedges like they did in 1947 augh........" and disappeared up to his neck in the snow, shame he'd forgotten about the gates! He was lucky he went down the side of it and didn't end up astride it.:eek:

In 1978 a bunch of young farmers of my acquaintance were drinking in the rugby club in Carmarthen when it started snowing. They decided it was getting a bit grim so rather than driving home independently they all piled into the Mini one of them drove. On the way home they came to a snow drift, no problem they let the fly half drive and the four guys from the front row picked up the Mini shoved it over the drift and carried on Home. A few days later one of them was clearing the road with a tractor and front loader he came across two rather glum looking chaps who were digging a rather dented MGB out from the drift that they'd manhandled the Mini over a few days previously.

As for Snow chains maybe I should have said it's not illegal to own them rather than fit them. As previously mentioned I've not been able to find any reference to fitting them with regard to UK legislation. Funnily enough UK motoring organisations give chapter and verse for European countries but nothing about here in the UK, I have also been present on a couple of occasions when the Police told people not to use them on UK roads so If someone can give the true position please do.

jumpseater
5th Feb 2009, 22:00
Four hours from Hatfield to Luton Airport this morning - of which three were spent on the last mile from the A1081 junction with Hadley Wood roundabout!

I'm not at all surprised if you went via Hadley Wood, that'd be going the long way round even for my wife ...

You could go Welwyn, Codicote, Whitwell, Breachwood Green, Darley Hall, a pleasant drive away from all that 1081 Harpenden and B653 Lower Luton Road s###!, and I've done it in heavy snow too :cool:

Peter Hill
23rd Dec 2009, 00:16
I'm due to drop a friend off at Breachwood Green tonight (10pm), my car is a 200SX with brand new tyres (not M+S).

I'm assuming that the main road from M1 to Luton airport is clear.

Is the bus route from Luton to Breachwood Green (Red Lion) clear and gritted?

And which of the roads to Whitwell are clear? Single track one off the end of Oxford road is down a steep hill and if they only got as far as gritting bus routes it's a no go - the bus doubles back to go to Kings Waldon, Preston and Hitchin. Whitwell's bus service is from Knebworth via Kimpton so there is a gap that's only back lanes that won't be done until all major routes, bus routes, other B/C roads etc have been done first.

I suspect as it's not a bus route or B road the hill at the farmyard between Whitwell and Codicote is also fun as will be the 2 off camber bends with T juncts between there and Codicote.

(I much prefer chasing XJ-R's that know where they are going and are on a mission down that road in the summer)

Blacksheep
23rd Dec 2009, 13:08
if you went via Hadley Wood, that'd A Senior moment, I meant of course, Kidney Wood. But that was in February 2009. This is December 2009 and what's annoying is that nothing has changed, although almost a year has passed since the February chaos.

The local authorities in Bedfordshire have once again failed to keep open an A Class road that links two major urban conurbations and provides access to both a busy international airport and the M1 motorway. The road was closed by the police due it being blocked by cars abandoned on the hill. Then over in Buckinghamshire we have the current saga of the A41 which, it seems, is still closed after three days due to ice and abandoned cars.

Over at Hemel Hempstead another main road has been closed for several days because of snow on a tree branch that overhangs the road. The Safety Elves say its too dangerous to drive under it and the tree huggers are opposed to damaging the tree by cutting the branch away. Presumably we must wait until either the snow melts or the branch breaks and falls off by an 'Act of God'. :rolleyes:

In February 2009 the Highways Agency were blamed for monopolising the supply of grit. Since then the local authorities have had 11 months to prepare and nearly a week's warning of exactly when it would snow. The snow arrived exactly on schedule, with the radar picture monitored live on television.

Meanwhile, because our street is too dangerous to drive upon, the Safety Elves have also denied our bin men their Xmas Box. We certainly won't be keeping it until they turn up sometime next year; Postman Pat can have a double bonus.

corsair
24th Dec 2009, 07:56
Aha, funny how relevant this old thread still is. I quote myself from earlier this year.But that's all in the past as it hasn't snowed here at all. It was another beautiful sunny day. DammIt still hasn't snowed here on the west of coast of this normally green and misty isle. But it's been a series of severe frosts, the likes of which I have literally never seen in this country before. We do have a white Christmas, a white fog, the grass is white, the walls, the houses, the powerlines, the cars and something I've genuinely never seen before, frozen cobwebs.

A check with a thermomenter in the garden last night, revealed it was minus 5 degrees centrigrade here. Scoff if you like you Canadians, snow belt Americans and North Europeans. But this is all but unprecedented here in the west coast of Europe so close to the sea and the Gulf stream.

It's bloody cold.

Where's the global warming gone? Brrrr!:{

Edit: Just checked the thermometer again. It's minus five at the moment. But it was minus seven earlier so it's positively balmy.

shobakker
24th Dec 2009, 11:46
Took me 1.5hrs to drive 20 miles down the M62 last night. Heavy snow & not a gritter or snowplough in sight...no wonder the country grinds to a halt.

In the meantime, a good 50% of the population who've never really experienced heavy snow are driving like complete lunatics and the HGV population all decided that it was the perfect opportunity to drive like they do on Ice Truckers...was passed by a violently swaying artic doing at least 60mph in the outside lane which was totally covered in about 2-3 inches of snow...