PDA

View Full Version : PC Flight Simulators

Mr Crowe
2nd Feb 2009, 05:32
Hi all...

Just wanted some advice from anyone who currently uses flight sims on their computers. Im looking at purchasing one and was just wondering any one in particular are suggested as opposed to others.......

many thanks in advance

crowe

Andy05
2nd Feb 2009, 05:56
Gooday,
I have been using flight sim X and it's been very handy understanding
IFR procedures like holding patterns and NDB or VOR approaches.
It also has loads of missions that you can do just for fun.

sixtiesrelic
2nd Feb 2009, 06:08
One of my friends has Fltsim 4 or X not sure which, in a dedicated computer networked with three screens.
The side views make circuits much easier.
Cost him extra $1500 to do it, but boy, I wish I'd have had something like it waaaay back as I reckon it's invaluable with getting a handle on some of the junk you have to learn as well as just learning checklists for example if you're abinitio.
It certainly is better thasn learning a checklist as a list that has to be translated to hand actions.
Radio calls on a cross countrey with a mate playing ATC would be another boon.
GO for it.

Q300
2nd Feb 2009, 07:50
Well Flight Simulator 9 and FS X are generally considered to be the main standards in home flight simulation.

FS X is newer, but it requires a lot more horse power under the hood. Conversely, FS 9 is older, but still in very wide use and it can be run on a modest computer set up. My 6 year old box with integrated graphics and bugger all RAM runs it fine.:p

I recommend that you visit NZFF (http://www.nzff.org/forum/) - it's a New Zealand based (but international) flight sim community that I belong to, it's informative and the people are great. Answers to just about any question you could have.

Track5milefinal
2nd Feb 2009, 10:16
VATSIM is great for radio procedures generally pretty professional, and its probably as real as it gets. :ok:

Takes a while to setup and get used to the whole thing though!

Cap'n Arrr
2nd Feb 2009, 10:48
I'll just add here that most PC sims are completely useless for practising visual flight, but generally helpful with instrument flight. Don't be trying to teach yourself circuits in one, it tends not to help :ok:

MalteseFalcon1
2nd Feb 2009, 13:12
X-Plane 9 :ok:

Home of the X-Plane Flightsim Community - New Server (http://www.x-plane.org/)

legaleagle73
3rd Feb 2009, 09:59
IMHO it depend on what you want to practice. If you want to practice VFR navs or how nav aids work, Flight Sim X (with FTX add-ons Full Terrain Experience - Flight Simulator X Scenery for (http://fullterrain.com/) ) is great. If you want to hand fly on instruments, try X-Plane 9 - not as pretty but a better flight model.

Saitek do a good yoke and throttle for a reasonable price that work with both (PC Gaming - Gaming Keyboards and Mice (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/proflight.htm))

Cheers

flog
4th Feb 2009, 00:30
Whichever sim you choose, good VFR scenery (www.aussiex.org (http://www.aussiex.org) for AU), a good Yoke / Pedals and this - Track IR 4 Pro (http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=600)- make for a very real experience.
The Track IR thing makes the view seemless - look left and the view looks left. Up and view up, etc.

The_Pharoah
4th Feb 2009, 01:08
to get the best out of FSX, this is what you need:

1. FSX (obviously)
2. a comp that can run FSX well (no mean feat)
3. Flight yoke and throttles (CH Pro, Saitek)
4. Rudder pedals (CH Pro, Saitek)
5. Track IR 4
6. FTX scenery
7. Squawkbox 4 (allows you to fly online with VATSIM)
8. Time!! :}

Q300
4th Feb 2009, 01:46
Ah yes yokes - great things. Joysticks are ok, but the keyboard is impossible to use to control the aircraft. I have the CH Products yoke and I think it's great. I also have a Saitek joystick, which is good too.

Also, I think that having decent AI traffic is worth it - look for Project AI (PAI) and World of AI (WoAI), both of which are good. For New Zealand, there's also the Great NZ Light Aircraft Project (GNZLAP) which can be found on NZFF or Avsim.

Did you get my reply PM Crowe?

The_Pharoah
4th Feb 2009, 02:10
I usually fly on VATSIM which is awesome because it sort of exposes you to:

1. ATC (incl TWR, GND, APP, etc) and having to do readbacks, etc.
2. approach charts (SIDs/STARs)
3. airport charts (esp when a GND CTRL'er gives you specific instructions to get to Rwy 34R! :))
4. FMCs on the payware a/c (eg. LevelD 767 or PMDG series) - sure its a sim, but its the exposure I guess rather than 'jump in and fly'
5. filing flight plans using RW navaids (well sim-world based on RW)
6. dealing with other virtual pilots who forget to make calls at unmanned airports (once had a 737 formating on me on approach to 16L to YSSY at night...I made calls on the CTAF...he didn't even know it existed!!) :ugh:

sure its all sim stuff, but you learn a lot as well.

ReverseFlight
4th Feb 2009, 14:44
I used to fly my FlightSim with a Saitek joystick but after years of head scratching finally took the plunge today and bought a sim yoke and pedals set (made by CH Products of USA).

This investment is worth every cent I paid. Now I'm really flying.

smo-kin-hole
4th Feb 2009, 14:56
I think FSX is pretty good but FS2004 has some really amazing add-ons. The add-ons I picked up have better IFR flight characteristics than the default aircraft. Pick a fast complex add-on that you really like and use it all the time. I like the PC-12.

Ubisoft makes a combat sim called IL-2 Sturmovik in a "1946" package. Its capable of survivable midairs, bits shed in VNE dives, you can kill one engine on a twin or just bend the prop back by brushing the ground. It'll stop. It does taildragger landings better than any other sim. You'll collapse the gear if you screw it up.

My favorite maneuver is to bail out in a tailslide while on fire. The visuals and the way Ubisoft allows you to change views is spectacular.

Anyway, bit off topic, but after ILS' and holds, sometimes all you want to do is blast the crap out of something. Great sim!:ok:

iFabio2
4th Feb 2009, 14:57
I suggest you to take a look at x-plane (demo at X-Plane, by Austin Meyer (http://www.x-plane.com) ). With its global scenery package it's incredible and not needing a space computer (I am actually using it on a 2007 macbook with integrated graphics). Plus the community around it is tight and helpful and last but not least it has the best flight dynamics (MS FS X looks like a toy compared to).

For the network fun, I'd suggest vatsim (but there's also ivao which is quite popular).

fabio

downunderscouser
5th Feb 2009, 01:07
I used to use VATSIM but got fed up of the fact that you would find one controller online and then empty airspace the rest of the journey. Does not make it very believable.

The_Pharoah
5th Feb 2009, 01:43
yeah I guess RL commitments affects everyone. The good thing is that VATPAC (Aussie arm) has had a real push recently to inc the ranks of ATC - I've seen multiple ATC on over the last few nights.

Oh and btw, you will need a program like VATSPY (my fav) or SERVINFO to see who is online ie. both pilots and ATC.

morno
5th Feb 2009, 02:13
got fed up of the fact that you would find one controller online and then empty airspace the rest of the journey. Does not make it very believable.

What do you mean? That is pretty realistic these days, it's called TIBA, :}:}.

morno

downunderscouser
5th Feb 2009, 03:29
Is it still the case that VATSIM does not work on FSX?

tmpffisch
5th Feb 2009, 03:38
Nah, VATSIM works on FSX now.

The_Pharoah
5th Feb 2009, 03:40
yep, sure does. Head over to www.squawkbox.ca (http://www.squawkbox.ca) for SB4.

bin b'archin
5th Feb 2009, 04:53
lol listen to these champions

Roger Standby
5th Feb 2009, 07:36
Unless your machine is the duck's guts, stick with FS2004. If you have a super fast machine, FSX has a few nice extras, but it chews resources. If you want super realism with regards to flight dynamics, X-Plane is the way to go. A good place for software and peripheerals is...

pcaviator.com.au

I run FSX on a high spec machine. I also run 3 screens wrapped around using a Matrox Triple Head box (cost around $500 and is not as restrictive on frame rates as you might expect). Looks sensational and excellent for other stuff like first person shooters!:ok:

BlinkC182
5th Feb 2009, 09:44
I like to keep it simple, no multiple screens needed for "Tim's air navigation simulator"

Or for something a little more "complex" check out luizmonteiro.com
Alot of pointless stuff there. Intercepting moving target is fun for about 5 seconds. If only I had this webpage / info inflight. :suspect:

Chilli78
7th Feb 2009, 00:30
What about some of the software from "elite" - it seems that they also produce a PC based version - stepping down from their advanced sims and stuff - does anyone have any experience of V8 premium that you can see here.ELITE Products - Software > Premium (http://www.flyelite.ch/en/products/software_premium.php)

If my currency conversion is correct looks like around $600 ( but my conversion probably isn't correct)