PDA

View Full Version : Completing my CPL after 2yr break

propelled
1st Feb 2009, 02:22
Hi folks,

Just after a bit of info as I prepare to complete my CPL soon..

*I last flew almost 2yrs ago with approx 120hrs in the book (single eng/csu/retract).
*Only 1 exam to go - performance. All other exams were done 2.5yrs ago- Do they expire after 3yrs??

I'm wanting to find a flying school (bk/cn) in which I can complete my cpl around the 150-160hr mark..

I feel confident enough to complete it in these flying hours as most of the revision I feel will be needed will be on the ground theory..

I started flying at a school @bk which I do not want to return to, then went to McIvers which I was very happy with, but recently found out they are not operating at present...

Firstly, Can anyone reccomend a flying school in sydney where I can achieve this and not be taken for a ride by doing more training then what I potentially need? Whitworth & schofields are in mind for BK, any more? and at CN??

Secondly, has much changed with the rules & regs from 2yrs ago? radio calls, reporting, etc?

Look forward to any info or suggetions for me as I'm hoping to get back in the air soon:ok:..

Cheers

drpixie
1st Feb 2009, 04:20
Propelled - sounds like you'll be busy. Exams expire after 3 years from the first attempt, until you pass them all - the details are on the CASA web site, though takes quite a bit of hunting around to find what you want, and some is in AIP SUPs etc. The internet is your friend.

You might have more trouble with the 150 hrs. A 150 hr CPL only applies to certain approved schools. If yours was, you should/might/??? be able to transfer to another 150 hr school. Otherwise, it's a 200 hrs CPL for you.

Get the last subject out of the way, then you've got the theory done and the rest can take as long as it takes. Performance won't have changed much. I recommend the Bob Tait books, worked for me, but get the current edition.

Changes - there's been a few, largely around legal, radio and airfield procedures. Your school should be keeping an eye on you for this stuff, but get up to standard: read everything lots are carefully (especially the stuff you already know because that will be where the changes are), and make sure all your doco is current, and you know the stuff.

If you can afford it, use the 200 hrs to get some ratings (NVFR, ME, CIR) and some cross-country experience - a bare CPL isn't that much use. Good luck.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
1st Feb 2009, 04:42
I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to get that last exam done. Do not wait too long as failing an exam brings on a mandatory waiting period. I suggest booking the exam for three weeks time and studying at every opportunity. Once the exam is booked you'll be motivated by the deadline and the money you've spent.

I don't know about particular schools in your area but if you've got your money saved up make sure that you find a place that can schedule all your navs in quick succession, you'll likely save money this way and be able to accomplish more.

Get your NVFR while the weather is good, don't wait.

Go get 'em

~FRQ CB

motivated68
1st Feb 2009, 05:38
I think you might be in trouble with the 150hr syllabis. I am doing the same and have to do the 200 hr syllabis. Both can be downloaded from CASA website. Good luck with Performance. Make sure you do plenty of practice exams and getting 80% + within allocated time

flog
1st Feb 2009, 07:30
If you can get all the records from the old school, and if you were enrolled in a 150hr syllabus (doesn't have to be a diploma or anything, just approved 150hr) then ask the CFI at the schools you're looking at if you can complete the 150hr course there.

Otherwise - get into a plane and go flying. One restriction of the 200hr CPL is that you need 70hrs PIC which you most likely won't have anything like at the moment and if you go doing NVFRs and MECIRs you'll and up with 200hrs TT, 40-50 PIC and still need to go flying.

Good luck with the exam - someone already said this but book it now, best way to get motivated.

kingRB
1st Feb 2009, 10:28
Otherwise - get into a plane and go flying. One restriction of the 200hr CPL is that you need 70hrs PIC which you most likely won't have anything like at the moment and if you go doing NVFRs and MECIRs you'll and up with 200hrs TT, 40-50 PIC and still need to go flying.

correction - you need 100 hours PIC for the 200 hour syllabus.

70 hours PIC is for 150.

flog
1st Feb 2009, 11:11
Too true kingRB - my bad - it's worse than I thought :-)

Go Flying!!

Cap'n Arrr
1st Feb 2009, 12:10
1 - Get that exam done! You don't want them to expire, then have to sit all 7 again! The countdown starts from the first attempt of the first CPL exam.

2 - It would be difficult for you to do the 150hr course, due to all the extra requirements about orders of exam sittings etc. What I suggest, and this has been suggested earlier, do the 200hr, but include stuff like NVFR, initial multi, maybe even a CIR. It will take you a while to get comfortable with not only flying again, but with rule changes etc.

Oz Vegemite
2nd Feb 2009, 06:59
Some good advice has been given re 150 vs 200 hour programs, however the real point you need to remember even if you can enrol into a 150 hour program is that CPL is in the end not hours based but competency based.

Yes you will need a minimum of 150 hours for integrated course of which at least 70 is PIC, or on a 200 hour program at least 100 must be PIC. But most importantly you need to be at CPL standard in those hours, if you do not meet the standard then it will take more hours - so the 150 hour course may in fact take 160 or 170 hours.

Given you have had a significant break away your skills will certainly be rusty and you will need to spend some time regaining the standard you had previously.

Good luck with it all
Oz

propelled
2nd Feb 2009, 08:34
Thanks for the info & suggestions guys....

Firstly I'll crack this Performance exam in the coming weeks to get it out of the road...
This week, I will phone some BK flying schools to see which suits my needs most... will aim for the 150hr course as this is what I was previously registered in (knowing it could take me 160-170 or so hrs)...

Thanks again...

cheers!

Lasiorhinus
2nd Feb 2009, 08:47
Consider going to Lionel or Bob for the Performance exam - you dont want to fail this, and have to wait past your three-year mark.