PDA

View Full Version : Praying - cost effective use of taxation?

BlooMoo
31st Jan 2009, 23:40
What did she expect? Has she never read her Orwell?

Nurse suspended for offering to pray for elderly patient's recovery (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/4409168/Nurse-suspended-for-offering-to-pray-for-patients-recovery.html)

Reluctant737
31st Jan 2009, 23:55
This is why I don't listen to the news or read the paper - an unnecessary raise of the blood pressure.

:ok:

bnt
1st Feb 2009, 15:13
I may not believe in any of that myself, but if the praying isn't meant as a replacement for proper medical treatment, I don't see a problem.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I'm sure I read something about "complimentary" treatments in general, where the apparent effects of those were shown to be related to the length and quality of the attention you get. Instead of a rushed 10-minute doctor's visit, a "complimentary practitioner" can offer a much longer, more personalised service. So, when you talk about "complimentary therapies", like Reiki, Homoeopathy, or Reflexology, I would class Prayer alongside those - as long as that's what the patient actually needs.

hellsbrink
1st Feb 2009, 15:27
When I saw the title I thought it was about Broon's latest idea for sorting out the economy

charliegolf
1st Feb 2009, 15:50
Irrespective of your personal beliefs, if you don't see the offer as a simple act of kindness- offered not foisted- I think you're a [email protected]

CG

Captain Stable
1st Feb 2009, 15:54
Yet another "PC gone mad" story. Someone, somewhere, thinks praying is exclusive to Christianity and that, therefore, someone offering to pray for them is thrusting their religion down their throats.

What rubbish. Jews pray, Muslims pray, and AFAIK, Hindus and Sikhs pray (but I could be wrong on those last two).

A great many people, particularly elderly folk, would find that a very caring and considerate offer from a nurse who is not too busy being "professional" to offer a little (at least) psychological or (at most) spiritual comfort to a patient.

And it was only an offer - people are entirely at liberty to say "Er - no, thank you, I don't believe in that hocus pocus" if they feel so inclined.

jimtherev
1st Feb 2009, 16:22
Some years ago a friend on her A&E rotation was asked for a Pagan chaplain for a near-to-death patient - found one, too. (You can find anything in London I guess ;) )

Wonder what the pc people would make of that? Probably love it, since it stiffs every other religion?

bnt
1st Feb 2009, 16:47
If you read the story, you see that the nurse in question has a track record of this. However, the patient in question didn't actually complain about it, and neither would I. A polite "no" is usually sufficient - sometimes a impolite "no" if they won't take a polite one.

I would have a problem, though, if someone tried to minister to me when I was unable to respond - if I was seriously ill or injured, for example. It is not right to take advantage of someone who is in a weakened state, hurt or unable to think straight. These are matters that need a clear head for contemplation. :hmm:

Miserlou
1st Feb 2009, 17:45
Studies have shown that patients who know that they are being prayed for do less well than otherwise.

Stockpicker
1st Feb 2009, 18:00
I'm a Christian, and I can easily understand how that makes sense, ML - if you think Christianity is a load of hokum, then your faith in the society in which you DO believe will be seriously affected by the thought that "all they can do is pray". I don't have the medical facts to support my case, but I'd be surprised if a positive mental attitude isn't part of the recovery process.

I hope the nurse's disciplinary does not become a divisive issue, and I'm sorry to say that if it does, she has not achieved what she ought to have set out to do.

soddim
1st Feb 2009, 20:22
Miserlou, what studies do you refer to?

BigEndBob
1st Feb 2009, 20:59
Bnt yes the patient did complain.

My sister works in a care home.

After working there for six months she has had all the good will knocked out of her by the attitude of staff and ungratefull residents.

I tell her these old people have had their life, you should get out of that job and live your own!

I wouldn't mind anybody of any faith prayed for me if the carer feels it will do some good.

By the way i'm an athiest, but each to his own.

BlueDiamond
1st Feb 2009, 21:52
Offer to pray for someone? That's about as sincere as offering to do the dishes or offering to replace a broken vase. If you're genuine about it, you just go off and do it. And when it comes to praying I would imagine you simply include that person in your routine prayers whenever you say them.

ShyTorque
1st Feb 2009, 23:52
Perhaps to make amends she should offer to pray for the woman NOT to get better.

Desert Dingo
2nd Feb 2009, 03:55
So telepathic communication works, does it?
I missed that announcement from the IPCC. :E.

cockney steve
2nd Feb 2009, 11:55
Sounds like the wrong lot are running the assylum.

I think ALL organised religions are a load of tosh

They either exploit emotional/spiritual weakness or are simply businesses flogging "hope"

If it gives a "lifeline" to those who have some inadequacy that "needs " that prop, fair enough....as far as I'm concerned, the time i was hospitalised, I told the Chaplain not to waste his time with me, and spend a bit longer with someone who "bought his line".....no offence either side.

And so with this Nurse...the patient was probably touched by her sincerity...it was the stickybeak CARER who put the oar in.
I would be quite happy to be cared for by a "Christian"....at least they demonstrate their humanity in their personal lives and ethos.

Iam extremely dubious about the motives and dedication of her mercenary "superiors......shame on the lot of them....to the best of my knowledge, HM the Queen is the head of the UK's Christian Establishment....if it's good enough for her, these arrogant PUBLIC SERVANTS should back down and apologise.

Gnirren
2nd Feb 2009, 11:59
I don't understand why we don't have prayer rooms in hospitals already. Patients should be checked for their faith, given the appropriate holy scripture and led in to the prayer room.

Christian and with a burst appendix... right here's your bible and there's the altar. Best of luck!

It would also free up resources for us heathen who'd rather go under the knife :E

Captain Stable
2nd Feb 2009, 12:18
I don't understand why we don't have prayer rooms in hospitals already.We do. Certainly at my local General Hospital (half NHS, half Military), in whose management I am a very small cog.

BlooMoo
5th Feb 2009, 22:45
Didn't take too long...

A little-noticed document published by the Department of Health last month gives warning that attempts by doctors or nurses to preach to other staff or patients will be treated as harassment or intimidation under disciplinary procedures.
Stalin would be proud...

But it does not make clear the limits of acceptable discussion about religion.
Stalin would see an opportunity...

Faith groups said the guidelines were so vague that they could mean action could be taken against anyone

Ahhh, pot, kettle, maybe?

Article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/4530384/NHS-staff-face-sack-if-they-discuss-religion.html)

Keef
6th Feb 2009, 00:22
Very sad.

I do a little visiting of hospitals, and I'm consistently in awe of the dedication and care shown by the nurses I meet. I couldn't do what they do. If they ask me to pray with a patient (or with them), then I'll gladly do it. I've not come across a nurse or a chaplain "forcing" anything on anyone. That would, in my view, be a no-no.

If they pray for that person when they are elsewhere, well...