PDA

View Full Version : Wingless Tiger Moth.

Avitor
31st Jan 2009, 20:34
My local newspaper has had a couple of references to a Tiger Moth which during WW2 lost the use of its wings and came down, the two occupants baling out safely. (say reports)
It crashed in Peterborough, I assume it was based RAF Westwood OTU.
I would be grateful if anyone is able to dig up any further info on this.

<when I say lost the use of its wings, I mean they either fell off or folded back>

treadigraph
31st Jan 2009, 21:28
It's detailed in Bramson and Birch's "Tiger Moth Story".

Incorrect nuts fitted to the wing bolts it says - the crew were doing aerobatics, left and right mainplanes broke away so the occupants bailed out; the wingless fuselage went through the roof of a house, ending up with its spinner resting on the sitting room floor and the tail sticking out of the roof! No one hurt...

Avitor
31st Jan 2009, 22:53
It's detailed in Bramson and Birch's "Tiger Moth Story".

Incorrect nuts fitted to the wing bolts it says - the crew were doing aerobatics, left and right mainplanes broke away so the occupants bailed out; the wingless fuselage went through the roof of a house, ending up with its spinner resting on the sitting room floor and the tail sticking out of the roof! No one hurt...

Ah, thankyou treadigraph, I might now peddle my 'knowledge' to the newspaper and make myself feel rather important. :ok:

The house mentioned, the paper states, was in Willesden avenue.