PDA

View Full Version : CRJ door debacle: Nothing beats a pair of eyes

APC77Z
31st Jan 2009, 13:13
While the FAA's highly touted ASIAS data mining program might have merit in routing out maintenance issues that largely remain below radar, nothing beats the a pair of human eyes for uncovering a problem, especially when those eye belong to an NTSB inspector.:8

From FlightGlobal on 30 January -

NTSB: Inadequate Bombardier action on persistent CRJ door problems

A review of pilot reports since 1995 in the Canadian service difficulty system (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/01/30/321921/ntsb-inadequate-bombardier-action-on-persistent-crj-door.html), provided to US investigators by Bombardier, has revealed 823 incidents in which the main cabin door of a CL65-series regional jet (CRJ100 through CRJ900) has jammed or was difficult to open..."

"....Though a mechanic ultimately opened the door after entering the aircraft through the galley service door, an NTSB investigator who happened to be aboard the flight launched an investigation of the issue."

Admiral346
1st Feb 2009, 00:23
And I thought the flaps were a problem...

ve3id
1st Feb 2009, 01:40
The CRJ was originally designed as a biz jet - no wonder the door has problems with the number of cycles it is put to in commuter service!

jettison valve
1st Feb 2009, 07:21
If the number of incidents is really that high, this issue should have been picked up by reliablity monitoring systems already in the past (Maintenance Reports in ATA 52, I suppose) - especially bearing in mind the consequences of a malfunctioning door! :sad:

I wonder about the operating crews... Our staff would have raised this issue to maintenance VERY forcefully (at least some time ago, the A330/A340 bulk cargo doors had a tendency to be blocked due to freezing - therefore, no offloading of crew baggage, which resulted in angered phone calls, especially when a management pilot was involved...;)..).
Or: Were there no write-ups!? :ugh:

I am a bit confused at this stage...:confused:

The sun is shining - enjoy your day, folks!
J.V.

APC77Z
1st Feb 2009, 13:27
The NTSB report on the CRJ door issue.

LAX07IA191 (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070627X00819&key=1)