PDA

View Full Version : Formation Training

skua
28th Nov 2000, 12:30
Any body know where I can get some formation training?

I have not got a Yak, so I can't join those Yakkity weekends at North Weald.

Mark 1
28th Nov 2000, 14:13
I havn't seen them about for a while, but Coventry Flying School used to do regular training sorties, mostly using a gaggle of C152s.
I believe the tiger club (Headcorn) also do a bit now and then.

Sink Rate
28th Nov 2000, 17:13
The Tiger Club at Headcorn are probably the most experienced formation and aerobatics flying club in the country.

For formation they tend to use the "Turbulents" which have to be seen to be believed. They are small but very cheap to run, so getting other members to follow you around the sky is much less of a problem.

hugh flung_dung
28th Nov 2000, 21:58
You need to use an aircraft that it's possible to get out of, Old Sarum (01722-322525) use Bulldogs. Because there need to be two of you the organisation is a lot easier if you can find a like minded pal (who you trust)

[This message has been edited by hugh flung_dung (edited 28 November 2000).]

Specaircrew
29th Nov 2000, 04:51
Join the RAF :-)

fireflybob
29th Nov 2000, 09:56
You might not be able to join the RAF as Specaircrew suggests but you could try contacting JEFTS at Barkston Heath who do flying training for the military under contract to Hunting Aviation.
If you wanted the best formation training around this would be your best option. The telephone number is 01400 261201 - try extension 5007 (Admin) and they will direct you to the right person to talk to. I have no idea what the rates would be but it's worth a try.

------------------

skua
30th Nov 2000, 02:16
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Specaircrew - tried that a long time ago - any formation skills they taught me are well rusty!

[This message has been edited by skua (edited 01 December 2000).]

Fastpants
1st Dec 2000, 05:08
Skua..

get yourself a share in a Chippie...or sweetalk someone you know with one into going to the next "Chipmeet" at Lons-le-Saunier. (Either that or hire one from the BA flying club at Booker - but don't tell what your going to do with it!)I went along last April and in addition to geting my tailwheel endorsement, spent three great days getting close formation training, in two-ship and three-ship sorties. The guys who instruct there included an assortment of Armee de l'Air Mirage2000 jocks from the airbase at Orange. Amongst them "Marchi" and "Pon-Pon" the French Airforce's AlphaJet and M2000 solo display pilots. I flew with a brilliant RAF instructor who intructs at Barkston Heath on a week-day. They do this all out of the goodness of their hearts, sheer enthusiasm (for the Chippie) and the cost of a few beers in the flying club bar each evening!! There were around 11 Chippies at the last meet and although a few had to leave early there were enough left to put together a 7-ship formation for a flypast on the final day.

cheers,
FP

Noisy Hooligan
1st Dec 2000, 22:30
How about Jet formation flying in a Jet Provost T3 or T5? Cost approx £350 per hour. SE England airfield. Jet aeros also available also £350 per hour.

------------------
Wizz, Bang, Pop !

rolling20
6th Dec 2000, 19:39
As an old RAF display pilot said to me after seeing our club PA28'S attempt a spot of formation flying.."leave it to the people who are paid to do it!!"