PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Nimrod

Tiger_mate
30th Jan 2009, 17:59
Other forums are reporting a drama at Kinloss involving a 4x4 Nimrod going cross country across the airfield. Hope no injuries ladies & gents if true,

Dave Angel
30th Jan 2009, 21:22
What other forums?

Tiger_mate
30th Jan 2009, 21:28
This forum (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5592)

KeepItTidy
30th Jan 2009, 22:12
Ploughing I believe ;) Thankfully nobody hurt just some jockeys ego me thinks

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 09:15
Oi, Oilcan,

A bit over-the-top methinks!

Whilst you may not like it, KIT is correct (as far as I know) that nobody was hurt. As a consequence, as suspect that the 'jockey' was indeed subject to a little banter at happy hour at ISK - no doubt his ego is a little bruised today. Thankfully, nothing else is!

Had this been more serious; I suspect so would KIT's response.

Duncs:ok:

Vage Rot
31st Jan 2009, 11:28
Dunc,

Maybe OilCan objected to the use of the word 'Ego'. 'Pride' is less inflamatory and more relevant in this particular case I think!

:ok:

KeepItTidy
31st Jan 2009, 11:43
Crikey Oilcan sorry if the word ego or jockey upset you , it was meant in good faith as nobody was hurt.
Pride would have been a better choice of words but words has not been my strong point on Pprune , and just for info I got a pretty good idea more than you think :E

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 13:04
Vage,

I am sure that you are correct. I suspect that KIT was using 'ego' in the sense of self-esteem - I know I was.

Dengue_Dude
31st Jan 2009, 13:04
Come ON . . . are you ALLOWED to use the word 'jockey' and 'ego' in the same sentence?

Standards are just SO low on this forum. (They let ME post!!)

Glad everyone is safe - SOD the hardware (wet turf . . . !! etc)

Vage Rot
31st Jan 2009, 13:44
By the way, have they managed to move the aircraft yet?

enginesuck
31st Jan 2009, 14:18
Its still there laying at a wonky angle......:bored:

advocatusDIABOLI
31st Jan 2009, 14:48
Just see what an 'unfortunate shift of pies and rations' can do. where was the loadie? we should be told!

I seriously hope he/she wasn't damaged as the gargantuan mountain of 'Gingsters Best' rocked from it's mountings! :eek:

By the Grace We all Go.......

Advo

PS-Any Pics ? or have the 'Ginsters' corporation made them secret?

Ginger Beer
31st Jan 2009, 14:53
Is the airfield closed until the "obstacle" can be removed to a safe distance??

rolandpull
31st Jan 2009, 15:04
10-1 its the movers fault - somehow. I think they have got an MSF there?

14greens
31st Jan 2009, 15:14
roland pull

come on it has to be the ,mover fault LOL

Any more news on what actually happened yet?

and still waiting for oil can to come on and admit he was a bit of the top with his post

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 16:06
At 1650 ISK was BLACKBLU according to the Met Office.

zedder
31st Jan 2009, 16:28
Apparently it will be moved using airbags (and I don't mean AEOs;)) sometime on Sunday.

Biggus
31st Jan 2009, 17:37
Not being moved until Sunday...?

Is it a case of taking care and attention over recovering a valuable asset (which probably isn't being scrapped for at least 9 months!), or an indication that the ability to routinely undertake heavy lifting work on airfields (keeping runways open, etc) disappeared with the end of the cold war??

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 17:50
It is still v windy at ISK. Not sure if that would have any effect. No doubt it would also take 'Crash and Smash' a while to get there.

advocatusDIABOLI
31st Jan 2009, 18:34
Sorry for my, slightly 'fattest, truckie' post earlier.

However, back to the facts:

What is the max x-wind a Nimrod is cleared for? If I guessed, I'd say about 25Kts. (quite cheeky! particularly, with a jet that lands at about 130 kts????)

ISK or its partner, often have blows better than that? so, what's the story fellas??

Advo

OilCan
31st Jan 2009, 18:34
Oi, gents (sober now)

yer all wrong. It was the word "just" I objected to. :\

just some jockeys ego me thinks

Of all the contributing factors in an incident like this, one thing is for sure - it's the jockey and his ego, and perhaps a little bit of luck, that prevented a much more serious outcome.

I suppose I expected more on a professional aviators forum. :{

I'll admit poor (drunken) choice of language, but the sentiment still stands. Mark my words, some of the contributing factors here should be of great concern to us all.:sad:

BTW I didn't remove the post, some other f****** ****k did. :ok:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 18:45
Welcome back, the real OilCan!

EdSett100
31st Jan 2009, 19:31
What is the max x-wind a Nimrod is cleared for? If I guessed, I'd say about 25Kts. (quite cheeky! particularly, with a jet that lands at about 130 kts????)

good guessing Advocatus.

Max croswind limit: 25 kts
Max landing AUW in a 25 kts crosswind would be 130,000 lbs.
Max VAT from the graphs at that weight would be 125 kts, plus a further 8kts for the wind. Max possible target VAT: 133 kts.

The landing was not preceded by any ATC tannoy about an emergency state.

Until the facts are released we don't know the actual landing weight.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 19:52
As Edsett has stated, 'Until the facts are released we don't know the actual landing weight'; nor do we know the actual Vat, speed at touchdown, wind, ac state.....

Speculation helps no-one.

OmegaV6
31st Jan 2009, 20:51
Steady on ..... almost a post of reason there ..... I thought the main tenet of 90% of PPrune's postings was "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" ... any more common sense like that and most folks won't have anything to *talk/whinge/carp/moan/exaggerate (delete as applicable) about .. :)

Mr C Hinecap
31st Jan 2009, 21:09
biggus - there is a marked difference between 'keeping an airfield open' and recovering a frame with maximum care. I doubt the capability to lift/recover a large frame was ever organic - hence why we have JARTS and have always had them.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 21:18
OmegaV6,

You are indeed correct. Sorry.

I heard from a bloke down the pub that a UFO had shone a laser at the jet just before touchdown. It would have been Ok had it been the pilots that were in the seats at the time - the poor AEO stood no chance with the landing!

Could be the last?
31st Jan 2009, 22:03
No pics????????????

12 twists per inch
31st Jan 2009, 22:08
Duncs,

You'll go straight to hell for that one!

I wouldn't trust an AEO with a remote for the tv........but landing a rod :ooh:

Come on! this sounds juicy!

taxydual
31st Jan 2009, 22:20
Well, the 'frame missed the school. the hospital, the orphanage................

Glad the guys are OK.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
31st Jan 2009, 22:56
There's nothing to tell. The UFOs regularly visit the Findhorn Foundation (other foundations are available); they normally point their lasers in a safe direction though. As for the AEO's landing - it was simply his turn.

You can all go home now; there's nothing more to see here.

On_The_Top_Bunk
31st Jan 2009, 23:45
As for the AEO's landing - it was simply his turn.

I heard that apparently both the front-enders were doing a tandem sono-buoy drop so were not around for the landing.

Green Flash
1st Feb 2009, 08:11
I heard that apparently both the front-enders were doing a tandem sono-buoy drop so were not around for the landing.

Ah, that's it then, obvious really. The teapot fell out of the launcher and burst a tyre!:}:E

Biggus
1st Feb 2009, 08:40
Mr C H

Thanks for the reply, it is (obviously) not an area I have any great knowledge in.

However, I like to think even a thicky like me can appreciate the difference between keeping a runway open in wartime (a bulldozer job?) and recovering a valuable asset for re-use (lifting equipment?).

By the way, out of interest, does anyone know when this particular frame is due to be scrapped?

akula
1st Feb 2009, 09:03
By the way, out of interest, does anyone know when this particular frame is due to be scrapped?

Most probably around lunch time this afternoon:}:}

ALWAYS assume NEVER check

TheWizard
1st Feb 2009, 10:59
Just see what an 'unfortunate shift of pies and rations' can do. where was the loadie? we should be told!

I seriously hope he/she wasn't damaged as the gargantuan mountain of 'Gingsters Best' rocked from it's mountings! :eek:

At least if you are going to banter, aim it at the right people!!:}
The 'loadie' would have been nowhere near the aircraft as there isn't one!!
Come on, keep up.:)

*Don't even try and claim a WAAHH

Tiger_mate
1st Feb 2009, 11:25
There was a time when Nimrods had a Loadie on board. However not in my time, and that is a lllooonnnggg time.

Chris Kebab
1st Feb 2009, 12:39
...wow learn something every day. When was that then - and what did they do?

Rossian
1st Feb 2009, 13:04
Well, our one (this was mid-'70s) was taught by the tried and tested instructional method of "sitting by Nellie" to work the ordnance area, do photography, he knew about the galley and rations, and as time went by was educated into applying to be an AEop of the wet persuasion. He went on to become one of the city fathers and as far as I know is still at the JMF at St Mawgan.
The Ancient Mariner

charliegolf
1st Feb 2009, 14:44
My pal MALM BT ex of 230 and 33 told me that it was at the time of the Brit's demise: a bunch of loadies needed re-homing.

As the AM reflects, BT said it could easily be a non job, or you could get stuck in, become part of the crew, and enjoy it. He did.

CG

EdSett100
1st Feb 2009, 16:05
And, just to add to the New Year problems for the Staish (virus on stn netwok, Nimrod off the runway):

Yesterday, the whole south side of the roof (from gutter to ridge along the whole length) on the recently built Mountain Rescue Team was blown off in one piece, sent flying across the top of the north side of the building and thrown against the side of the recently built MRA4 Sim building, damaging that as well. The road between the buildings is a major exit route off the stn from the main car park and is now blocked by the displaced roof. We are lucky it happened outside normal working hrs.

The single one way entry route onto the main stn car park is, today, a 2 way road; and might well remain so, for a day or two.

Lurking123
1st Feb 2009, 16:22
Does he still have an OC Admin, or was ISK one of those places that followed the Burridge, two wing madness?

Vage Rot
1st Feb 2009, 16:24
Hmmm, 2005 Stn Ops lost the roof, as did Tesco in Forres. Both built by the same, local, builder! Wonder who built the MRT pad?!!!!!

Sorry, I know! - thread creep!

Logistics Loader
1st Feb 2009, 16:30
Said airframe could be lifted by all the hot air expelled by the "flying Club" on this forum..!!

Mad_Mark
1st Feb 2009, 16:36
I think it has been - Kinloss METAR reporting BLU now.

Don't forget, EdSett100, there was the fire on Friday morning too :eek:

MadMark!!! :mad:

Duncan D'Sorderlee
1st Feb 2009, 17:36
...and the flood!

Plagues of frogs inbound:eek:

311 fan
1st Feb 2009, 18:13
http://news.stv.tv/assets/img/feedImg/73417-investigation-after-raf-nimrod-comes-off-runway-200.jpg
An investigation is underway after a Nimrod left the runway during landing at RAF Kinloss.
It is understood the aircraft's tyres burst and it skidded during the incident at the Moray base on Friday.
No-one was injured and the plane has been towed to a hangar where it will undergo checks

JagRigger
1st Feb 2009, 19:06
Hmmm - How to get yourself out of a ditch... - Vectra C / Signum Owners' Club Forums (http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69234) :ooh:

Charlie Luncher
1st Feb 2009, 22:23
Maybe it is time for 201/4 to break out the crash test dummies patch - again. It was always tricky to hold on to the teapot during a dodgy landing.
Charlie Sends

fastener
2nd Feb 2009, 06:46
What check would you do to get it flying again? I've heard of heavy landing and lightening strike special inspections but never "Driven into a ditch of it's own making" inspection!

Yeller_Gait
2nd Feb 2009, 08:40
Charlie,

This one? (http://uk.msnusers.com/4n0q7i3tstdoujmbnenv40ii63/Documents/Crash0002.jpg)

Y_G

GalleyTeapot
2nd Feb 2009, 11:17
I'm surprised certain folk haven't raised the issue of Nimrod MR2 safety!

KeepItTidy
2nd Feb 2009, 12:02
LOL Galleyteapot I was thinking the same myself.

As for work carried out fastener, once investigation is carried out to check all components serviceability etc etc , in this case I suspect a full Undercarriage change, checks around key gear attatchment points and the engines for FOD , we got a quick glance but there is a specific AP for this kind of incident that is very thorough. Wont take long to get back in the skies.
This is about the 4th or 5th time this has happened , every aircraft has a few of these now and again,Im convinced if it was any other aircraft it would not have made it onto a forum board.

The Old Fat One
2nd Feb 2009, 21:27
...against the side of the recently built MRA4 Sim building, damaging that as well...

Interesting use of the word "recently". Six or seven years "recent" I believe.

TMJ
3rd Feb 2009, 10:12
The various teapot references on this thread have irresistably reminded me of Mitch Benn's song on the Now Show when the newsies started printing stuff about teapot airframe plugs a few years back. I probably still have the mp3 of it somewhere...

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Feb 2009, 12:28
Recovery photos here ... job's a good 'un :ok:

Nimrod Recovery (http://tinyurl.com/cuhtok)

cooheed
3rd Feb 2009, 16:44
Be careful of the above link. Tinyurl.com is a regular distributer of some nasty spyware, (or so my security software tells me).

JagRigger
3rd Feb 2009, 17:05
...... but if you follow my earlier link to the Vectra C site, it's fine. Some interesting snaps of the recovery there.;)

AL1 - no it's not. Thread deleted it appears......

Guess someone is in front of OC Security :ouch:

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Feb 2009, 19:06
...... but if you follow my earlier link to the Vectra C site, it's fine. Some interesting snaps of the recovery there.

AL1 - no it's not. Thread deleted it appears......

Guess someone is in front of OC Security

The 'tiny' link takes you to a cached version.

As with accessing any site on the Internet, have appropriate security in place on your computer.