PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Explosion anybody?

Diesel Fitter
30th Jan 2009, 11:58
This has to be the ultimate bacon sarny -

First, assemble your ingredients -
2 pounds thick cut bacon
2 pounds Italian sausage
1 jar of your favorite barbeque sauce
1 jar of your favorite barbeque rub

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bacon-1.jpg

To kick off the construction of this pork medley youíll need to create a 5◊5 bacon weave. If the strips youíre using arenít as wide as the ones pictured, then you may need to use a few extra slices to fill out the pattern. Just make sure your weave is tight and that you end up with a nice square shape to work with.
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bacon-2.jpg

Now that's got the juices flowing follow the rest of the recipe here and Voila - The Bacon Explosion (http://www.bbqaddicts.com/bacon-explosion.html)

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bacon-12.jpg

Half inch slices on your bread or baguette of choice.

Ensure all family members are aware of emergency services numbers.

Enjoy :D

hellsbrink
30th Jan 2009, 12:04
Hot diggity, that is on the menu this summer!!

Lon More
30th Jan 2009, 12:18
that is on the menu this summer!!

Might have a long time to wait

BTW what is Italian sausage?

airship
30th Jan 2009, 12:42
I'd argue that the recipe is overly-complicated for 2 reasons:

1) The outer layer of bacon looks like it's burnt to a crisp.
2) The cooking time of 2 1/2 hours and requirement of a thermometer to poke into the middle of the roll (essential with all that pork in the centre IMHO).

A more practical alternative would be to:

1) Assemble your "bacon explosion" following the basic guidelines.
2) But there's no need to pre-cook the innermost bacon layer.
3) Consider substituting the 'Italian sausage' with chicken fillet or whatever (chicken meat absorbs the flavour of bacon and spices really well).
4) Once you've got your 3-layers ready, roll it all up into a "Swiss roll'.
5) Cut your 'Swiss roll bacon-explosion' into 1/2" thick slices and pop onto the BBQ. The inner and outer layers of greasy bacon should hold the slices 'intact' or you could add a little flour. Cooking time will be much reduced and not require a thermometer.
6) Serve directly into buns or French baguettes... :ok:

hellsbrink
30th Jan 2009, 12:52
Might have a long time to wait

I know, but people here don't want to barbecue in the middle of winter :(

Diesel Fitter
30th Jan 2009, 12:58
BTW what is Italian sausage?

Not salami. More usually a spicy pork sausage in my experience.

Could probably substitute Spanish chorizo,

eastern wiseguy
30th Jan 2009, 13:44
Chorizo might be too oily. Italian sausage is usually sweet(ish) and flavoured with Fennel seeds.

Mrs EW being an American brought up on 'em, from a long line of butcher types insists that our sausages are but a pale imitation.......

pigboat
30th Jan 2009, 14:00
DF, I can hear your arteries hardening from waaaayyyy over here. :D

ehwatezedoing
30th Jan 2009, 15:33
And me, I can't wait for the Enchilada explosion receipt.

:E

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Jan 2009, 17:52
Needs a layer of pancetta for the salt and to sandwich the layer of braised pork belly.

birrddog
30th Jan 2009, 18:50
Another good substitution would be South African style boerewors, available in most countries since 1994 (just kidding, kinda ;)).

You could also make it yourself if you have a grinder, it is typically 3/4 beef and 1/4 pork mixture (lots of pork fat), coarse ground, salt, pepper, soaked in vinegar (red wine/malt) and then mixed with crushed coriander seeds and nutmeg.

I agree with airships alternate cooking proposal, though as an extra "precaution" one could use skewers or cocktail sticks (toothpicks) to hold the slices together (ideally do this before cutting).

Option 2 would be to cook it wrapped in tinfoil, which minimizes the burning outside, speeds up the cooking of the inside, keeps the moisture in.

Between watching cooking shows on telly, now this thread, I'm in the mood to cook tonight... though probably will not happen after I light my cigar in a bit.