PDA

View Full Version : Best mobile phone service India

UniFoxOs
30th Jan 2009, 12:04
Hi,
Just rang the bank to advise them we will be in India for a fortnight, they need a mobile number as they still may want to contact me if the computer throws a wobbly when we use a credit/debit card (seeing as we are not supposed to take Rupees in).

My trusty Nokia (according to the Orange website) only works in Delhi.

Anybody know what operator has the best coverage (Golden Triangle and Goa) and which UK operator has access to their network, and what spec of phone I would need?

Cheers
UFO

Seldomfitforpurpose
30th Jan 2009, 12:08
I have no answer to your question but thanks for the reminder, off to Egypt for a week and forgot to tell the bank :ok:

HAWK21M
9th Feb 2009, 21:37
I use Vodaphone with roaming & never had a problem in most states in India.
regds
MEL

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Feb 2009, 22:29
I would feel disinclined to take the Orange web site too seriously, unless they actively block roaming with some partners which sounds rather unlikely.

I went round the Golden Triangle (and some other places) last February and my phone worked fine everywhere (an ancient Nokia on O2).

There aren't that many cash point machines. IIRC they're marked on the street maps in the Lonely Planet ... and I'm told the guy with the rifle protecting the cash machine is just for show, the gun isn't loaded.

BombayDuck
9th Feb 2009, 23:50
My trusty Nokia (according to the Orange website) only works in Delhi.

That is strange, All of India is on the same GSM frequencies.

Vodafone, Airtel, BPL (part owned by Hutchison), Idea (partner of AT&T) - all GSM, all good. I used Vodafone since the days it was Max Touch, Orange, Hutch and then Vodafone (all with the same number & SIM card), with no issues. Even Goa, whose remote areas did not have coverage till two years back seems to have been fully covered.