PDA

View Full Version : Beware Double Whammy- Especially the Ladies

pulse1
30th Jan 2009, 11:51
A friend of Mrs p went into the Ladies in a well known Department store. As usual, she hung her handbag on the back of the loo door and sat down to do her business. Suddenly, a hand came over the top of the door and had her handbag away. By the time she made herself decent and got out there was no sign of the thief. She reported the incident to the store.

Several days later she received a call from the Store to say that they had recovered some items and asked her to make an appointment to come and look at them. Yes, you've guessed. While she was at the store, who knew nothing about it, her house was burgled.

I thought it was worth warning Pprune friends about this.

sisemen
30th Jan 2009, 14:08
Well, at least those tea leaves don't piss about.

Parapunter
30th Jan 2009, 14:10
Who says the unemployed are feckless?:hmm:

UniFoxOs
30th Jan 2009, 14:26
While she was at the store, who knew nothing about it, her house was burgled.

Seems likely the burglers got a tip-off from the store about the appointment time, rather than co-incidence. I would be asking who knew the time of the appointment.

UFO

maliyahsdad
30th Jan 2009, 14:31
UniFoxOs (http://www.pprune.org/members/95007-unifoxos) i am not sure if you are serious or not? :rolleyes:

DAL208
30th Jan 2009, 14:33
Seems likely the burglers got a tip-off from the store about the appointment time, rather than co-incidence. I would be asking who knew the time of the appointment.

what?

That doesnt make sense...the store wouldnt always know her adress...or be able to know if she lived alone.

The person who stole bag, however, would have access to her purse which may tell them where she lived, also with her front door keys (or maybe keys to a window/back door.) Burglars look at the house, see her leave the house in the only car there and take the gamble she therefore lives alone.

Groundloop
30th Jan 2009, 14:38
I would be asking who knew the time of the appointment.

Jeez, read the post!!

It was NOT the store that rang her. It was the person who stole her bag, which contained her address, who rang up PRETENDING to be the store to get her out of the house.

maliyahsdad
30th Jan 2009, 14:41
ha ha, i thought i was in a parallel universe!

eticket
30th Jan 2009, 14:43
No. No. No. You are all wrong.

The miscreant did the dirty deed and then climbed up into the air ducting, replaced the vent grill and crawled to the opening beside the secretary's desk (a temp). The temp makes the call to the victim and enters the appointment into her bosses computerised diary.

Later that night the miscreant climbs down, logs on and erases the record. They then climb back up and wait for the store to open in the morning, when they leave the store to go a burgling.

I think you will find that they are still in the duct. But I could be wrong.:hmm:

cockney steve
1st Feb 2009, 20:51
Many years ago, I managed a store which stocked large quantities of cigarettes, tobacco and cigars (as well as lighters and other easily saleable stuff)
Whenever I had a (frequent) burglar alarm call from the local police,
standard procedure wasto RING BACK AND CONFIRM IT WAS AN AUTHENTIC CALLOUT.

sorry, but anyone daft enough to take an unsolicited call of that nature,on trust, deserves the hard lesson.........had she used common-sense,she could have arranged a police "sting " and caught the scrotes.

V2-OMG!
1st Feb 2009, 22:23
I haven't hung my purse on the back-of-the door hook for this reason (if there is a hook, as they tend to be unscrewed and stolen).

Nor do I place it on the floor. Someone could also reach underneath the partition and grab it. A placement on the floor is very unsanitary because I tend to plunk my purse on the kitchen counter or table when I first come in the door.

So, the only option is to hang onto it while doing that "business" as you called it. It is not impossible; a bit awkward, perhaps.

One could also leave the purse at home and rely on a small billfold tucked into a pocket. Wise idea in my city where violent purse snatchings are on the increase. I refuse to wear those ugly fanny packs, though.

Parapunter
1st Feb 2009, 22:39
Please, please tell me where I can get my hot little hands on a fanny pack. In return, I'll offer you twenty fags.:E

V2-OMG!
1st Feb 2009, 22:56
parapuner, lol! Perhaps you are unfamiliar with those "fanny packs" as we call them in N. America?

I'm sure you have seen them in the UK/EU. They are a pouch with a strap that is buckled around the waist. For some reason, most like to have the pouch part flapping off their backside. Dead giveaway that one is a tourist from Hickville, Nebraska or Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Fags?? Oh yes, cigarettes. Thanks, but I don't smoke.

Parapunter
1st Feb 2009, 23:16
I've decided I support your previous banishment:p

Bullethead
1st Feb 2009, 23:54
Gents,

Don't hang yer trousers on the hook! You know what will happen. :eek:

Regards,
BH.

sisemen
2nd Feb 2009, 00:26
V2 I think that Para knew exactly what a "fanny" pack was which is why he brought in the word "fags" to the post. It points up the idiosyncracies of the 2 languages.....

Oh, forget it.....Americans probably won't understand subtle humour and irony :rolleyes: