PDA

View Full Version : Drink refills

Hartington
30th Jan 2009, 06:20
I don't drink alcohol when flying. As such I get slightly irritated when I get offered a top up during the meal because I am never offered a top up of what I'm actually drinking - the offer is always wine. Even if I ask for a top up of what I am drinking I often don't seem to get it.

Am I being oversensitive?

Seat62K
30th Jan 2009, 06:56
What you have written reminds me of the time I was served cheap, nasty longlife UHT orange juice when flying First on BA. I was astounded!

There is so much emphasis on wine. Another example: the last time I wanted beer when flying Club World on BA I was served warm beer!

Rainboe
30th Jan 2009, 06:56
Unbelievably.

Final 3 Greens
30th Jan 2009, 08:23
Even if I ask for a top up of what I am drinking I often don't seem to get it.

Time to change your airline methinks, if they can't get the basics right they don't deserve your money.

Load Toad
30th Jan 2009, 10:20
Just a thought but have you tried saying (as an example): 'If it's possible please could I have a gin and tonic?

Scumbag O'Riley
30th Jan 2009, 10:56
Am I being oversensitive?That would depend on how much you paid for your ticket.

Gassy
30th Jan 2009, 16:51
Quote:
That would depend on how much you paid for your ticket.

Think that sums it up!!!!

Hartington
31st Jan 2009, 02:46
Neither the price, nor the airline, seems to make any difference. I've had it happen to me in economy/coach and business and on multiple airlines. It does seem endemic so changing the airline or class (except maybe to first) probably isn't going to make a difference.

And, I don't want alcohol when flying.

TightSlot
31st Jan 2009, 07:04
I'll try and help...

In economy, there would normally (not always) be a full bar service before a meal. Meal carts are often (not always) fully loaded with meal entrees and accessories, leaving room on the cart for wine bottles and tea/coffee, but not for a full bar selection: Therefore any request that isn't wine/tea/coffee may require a trip to the galley. Some airlines forbid a cart from being left unattended, so a single crew member may not be able to leave for an ad-hoc drink request: Sometimes prompt access to the galley is not possible due to aisle obstruction by other carts out of immediate sight. Sometimes, laziness is the determinant.

In Business and upwards, I would expect any such request to be dealt with promptly and pleasantly.

Final 3 Greens
31st Jan 2009, 07:32
In Business and upwards, I would expect any such request to be dealt with promptly and pleasantly.

This is my experience almost always.

On the very (very) rare occasions when it isn't, I politely and discretely let the #1 crew member know that I expect it to be the case from now until the end of the flight.

Hartington must be quite unlucky to receive consistently poor service in a premium cabin.

VS-LHRCSA
31st Jan 2009, 19:21
To follow up on Tight Slot's comments, in economy, you could always ask for a extra drink during the bar service, that way, you'll have one on hand during the meal.

In a premium cabin, a good FA should offer a top up of whatever you're drinking even it it means a trek to the galley. If that's not happening, by all means ask for one but I agree, you shouldn't have to, it's basic hospitality.

Hartington
1st Feb 2009, 02:42
Tightslot, sorry, you've missed the point.

Just because that's the way carts are loaded that doesn't mean that's the way they have to be loaded. Change the load. If necessary change the design. Why should I be discriminated against because I choose not to drink wine with my meal? Why should the crew have to make a special journey?

Get with the market and provide what the passenger (this one at least) wants.

TightSlot
1st Feb 2009, 08:13
Golly Gosh! That'll teach me to try and be helpful!

discriminated against

...seems a somewhat harsh term to me - one I would normally expect to see tethered to either political or socio-economic issues rather than the availability of a seven-up at dinner time? Clearly I had not fully appreciated the depth of feeling on this matter.

Presumably, those customers that would prefer shellfish to the offered choice of chicken or beef must be feeling similarly outraged? And don't even get me started on the discrimination against fried egg lovers when constantly faced with breakfast omelette or scrambled! I can almost sense the excitement amongst Strasbourg lawyers at such blatant disregard for Human Rights.

Come on, Hartington - You started with a reasonable post asking a reasonable question, to which you were given reasonable answers. If you can convince the airlines that a majority of customers feel as you do, then service, cart design and procedures will be amended accordingly: Until then, VS-LHRCSA has suggested a sensible and workable alternative, surely.

Load Toad
1st Feb 2009, 08:44
Why should I be discriminated against because I choose not to drink wine with my meal?

How my poor heart bleeds for the pain you suffer as you are victimised for your choice of drink.

I understand it is too hard to say something like 'Excuse me would it be possible to get me a cup of hot outrage with a side of boorish attitude? Thanks'. So I guess for a while longer the evil cabin crew will continue to taunt you with their offers of 'Red or White?'.

PAXboy
1st Feb 2009, 11:12
You want to know how discriminated against I feel, when they keep offering me beer that I do not drink and then coffee. Why, oh why oh why, do they KEEP on presenting me with a pitcher of stinking coffee. Surely they know that I am allergic to it and even the very smell turns my stomach? :yuk:

Somehow, I just manage to be polite one more time and decline without telling them to redesign a system of equipment and training that manages to keep the vast majority of customers happy, whilst trying to minimise the workload of the staff. :hmm:

I wonder why there isn't a call bell next to my desk, so that someone will bring me a cup of tea? Oi, you Moderator - jump to it!!! :p

Globaliser
1st Feb 2009, 16:31
Get with the market and provide what the passenger (this one at least) wants.The world doesn't revolve around what one unusual passenger wants. One passenger does not a market make. The trolley is bound to be set up to accommodate what is going to please most people.

But it's a perfectly reasonable complaint if the crew don't then make that special journey for you (when they can) with a refill of something that's not on the trolley at that time.

VS-LHRCSA
1st Feb 2009, 17:59
Oh my goodness. This is one of the reasons why I try to stay out of the SLF forum.

You have come on here with a fairly minor problem and asked if you are being over sensitive. You were told by many that, yes, you are being over sensitive. Some, like Tight Slot and myself have gone out of their way to explain how things are done and have offered solutions - on our own time.

You then go on to argue the point, so much so that you are demanding that airlines completely re-design their galleys, carts, loadings and service routines. Never mind the fact that the other 300+ pax seem to be capable of ordering a drink to suit themselves.

If you really are so worked up over this, then I suggest that it is time to examine yourself. No disrespect but you might benefit from some therapy.

apaddyinuk
1st Feb 2009, 18:26
You see, this is the only major gripe I have with SLF..... The fact that they assume we crew should know what each individual wants at any given time!!!

If you dont ask.....YOU DONT GET!

I have absolutely no problem offering an extra drink or two during the bar round if you want something to drink with your meal....just ask!
If you ask for something while I am out with the wines and meal trays I will get it for you the first chance I get...if I forget, remind me, I will apologise and hop straight to it before I do anything else! Any crew member worth their salt would do this I am sure!!!

But yes, I feel you are being over sensitive!

clareprop
2nd Feb 2009, 05:39
Hartington,

It's obvious from the responses here that the professionals want to meet your requirements but the message coming from them is that you're going to have to help them understand your needs a little more.

Ever ready to help, I have copied below a little ditty from the Temperence League which may assist you. I suggest you sing it loud and clear every time you need a refill.

Best wishes

Clareprop
PS. Tremulous Debauchee is just old fashioned talk for C and F Class....

WATER !—OH ! WATER FOR ME.
O H ! water for me—bright water for me ! And wine for the tremulous debauchee! It cooleth the brow, it cooleth the brain, It maketh the faint one strong again ; It comes o'er the sense like a breeze from the sea : All freshness, like infant purity. Oh water, bright water, for me, for me! Give wine, give wine to the debauchee !

Hartington
2nd Feb 2009, 05:46
You're all taking this too personally. My beef is not with the way cabin crew do their job. You are working within the pattern set down by your employer.

That doesn't mean the pattern is correct. Maybe I am being oversensitive but since we have a paralell thread regarding whether booze should even be served in the first place it seems to me that while there are plenty of people who enjoy their wine etc sensibly there are those of us who would prefer something else and we're not being catered for.

Why should some of us (me!) have to ask for a refill when others get it automatically?

I can feel a few letters to airlines as I travel coming on - a one man crusade even.

Might make me feel better even if it doesn't do any good.

Thanks for letter me rant. :ok:

Load Toad
2nd Feb 2009, 07:04
Yeah - we can all complain we aren't being catered for - I'd like a big measure of absinthe with a sugar cube dissolved in it and warmed and then I'd like a pretty stewardess to sit next to me and help me drink it.

What do you actually want to order that is such a big problem?

WHBM
2nd Feb 2009, 11:53
I'll try and help...
Thanks, as always, TightSlot

In Business and upwards, I would expect any such request to be dealt with promptly and pleasantly.... but I presume you don't travel a lot on US carriers.

"Which champagne do you have, please ?"
"Huh ?"
"What is your brand of champagne, please"
(slams down glass of what seems to be California sparkling wine)
"Thank you, may I ask please ......
(Has turned to opposite side of aisle).

apaddyinuk
2nd Feb 2009, 13:07
Harlington....

Your choice not to drink alcohol is simply that...your choice. It is customary in many western nations to have a glass of wine with a meal hence thats why airlines do it. The service is a meal with your choice of wine!

The airlines are in turmoil at the moment, they will not invest in new equipment to suit one crazy complaint from the single voice who is offended by being offered wine. Your letter will go unactioned. You will have waisted your own time and that of airline representitives which could probably be put to better use.

Sorry to sound harsh but I dont believe in beating around the bush! My top tip for you...lose the chip on your shoulder, lighten up, be grateful that you are on an airline that hasnt fallen into the rut of charging for everything onboard and perhaps bring your own choice of drink for your dinner onboard with you, I am sure you could pick it up airside in a shop!

Load Toad
2nd Feb 2009, 14:29
I don't think the purchase of any class of ticket on any airline includes in it an obligation for the airline to provide anything you could possibly want.

And if misery guts doesn't want wine I can't understand why he can't ask for the drink he does want if it is a reasonable request (and not something utterly outrageous).

Globaliser
3rd Feb 2009, 09:41
Why should some of us (me!) have to ask for a refill when others get it automatically?The short answer is: Because yours is an unusual request. The airline's systems will always be set up to provide rapid service of what most people want. Anything unusual will take a little time.

What's so difficult to understand about that?

Beer_n_Tabs
3rd Feb 2009, 09:49
Why should I be discriminated against because I choose not to drink wine with my meal?

No no, not at all.....you're just a bit weird :p

I Just Want To Fly
3rd Feb 2009, 12:09
Hartington,

I found the perfect airline for you!

You may be a little restricted in your choice of destinations, but at least they will never offer you any wine.

Royal Brunei
Welcome to Royal Brunei Airlines - Brunei (http://www.bruneiair.com)
Fly the Wine Free Skies

apaddyinuk
3rd Feb 2009, 13:12
Or he could fly Saudia!!! LOL!

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Feb 2009, 13:25
Perhaps it might help if one regarded cabin crew, not as drink dispensers but as highly trained and polished evacuation experts?

Final 3 Greens
3rd Feb 2009, 14:04
APaddy

Or he could fly Saudia!!! LOL!

Nowt wrong with Saudi, if you like Arabic coffee and dates - seats are cr*p, in J, though.

Der Absolute Hammer

Perhaps it might help if one regarded cabin crew, not as drink dispensers but as highly trained and polished evacuation experts?

Ah, that will explain the image being promoted in Virgin's TV ad then? :E

baselb
3rd Feb 2009, 14:54
I might be mis-remembering, but I think most times when I've been offered a top-up it's been wine or water (I usually get both).

Then there was the time I was "forced" to have several top-ups of Baileys (in LH economy). Hic. That was nice. :O

apaddyinuk
4th Feb 2009, 19:37
Gotta give it to F3G..... I was thinking along the same lines about the Virgin ad! LOL!

As for Saudia, probably are good....just dont smoke in the loos!

Man sentenced to 30 lashes as punishment for flouting no smoking ban on Saudi Arabian flight | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1134323/Man-sentenced-30-lashes-flouting-smoking-ban-Saudi-Arabian-flight.html)

BOFH
7th Feb 2009, 21:37
apaddyinuk

fly Saudia

Nail, hammer, head.

The airlines have always discriminated against me, personally, because they do not offer a range of methyl, as opposed to ethyl ,alcohol. That other stuff just doesn't do it for me, makes me feel ill, to be honest. Just some good old builder's meths, nothing fancy - and I've yet to find a carrier which will oblige. It's £2.50 at B&Q so don't go telling me it's too expensive.

Had a bit of a run-in with the CC last time, I said "Well, you've got those great big engines out there, you must have some antifreeze !" (works in a pinch). The Purser was very nice and said he'd get me a glass, which he did, but if you ask me, it tasted like lime cordial with some sugar in it.

So come on, Sir Richard, get your act together, please!

BOFH

Hartington
8th Feb 2009, 04:10
OK, I know when I'm outnumbered and weird!

I give up.