PDA

View Full Version : Naff On Way Out!

jackbauer
30th Jan 2009, 05:54
From todays GDN. Surely if he has any self respect he will walk before he is pushed.

PARLIAMENT yesterday demanded that Gulf Air president and chief executive Bjorn Naff be sacked, saying he is not up to the job.The call follows a meeting between parliamentary financial and economic affairs committee and airline board members, led by executive committee chairman and director Jawad Habib Jawad

Looks like they are at last realising his lack of experience is at the heart of the problem.

Cam32
30th Jan 2009, 06:38
I think the 'heart' of the problem is a lot deeper than a CEO that may not have any power to start with.

The article also states that they do not know who is running the airline.

I don't really know enough to say whether the current CEO is effective or not, (there have been minor improvements in general efficiency) but changing every year is not good for the company. If he is that ineffective then it is a failure of the process and people that employed him.

Oh well, get another one, must be dime a dozen in this economical climate.

c46r
30th Jan 2009, 08:02
He must go, as he is not a Bahrain National. There again if he is a National, should he be a Sunni or Shiite ??????

skywaytoheaven
30th Jan 2009, 09:07
Yeah....because GF's problems will really be solved by putting a guy in because hes a Bahraini national! Put someone in with the quals and experience no matter what nationality they are.

Mike.Park
30th Jan 2009, 12:22
Again Bahrain's esteemed members of parliament are pushing for further discriminatory practices and racism within Gulf Air.

They have associated Gulf Air's economic failures with the fact that Bjorn is not a Bahraini national.

I think you will all agree that we're more than happy to discuss the suitability, experience, and track record of individuals - but for the driving force of an argument to be that of suitably based on nationality and/or race is just wrong & politically incorrect.

skywaytoheaven
30th Jan 2009, 13:06
....and basically just plain stupid..

DesertHawk
30th Jan 2009, 13:20
i read this and had a nice laugh. people say that expats need to adjust to other cultures which is legit. well seems to me that these people need a lesson in reality. basically the whole article says that expats are responsible for everything that is bad at GF...ummm guys u hired all these people and ps YOUR airline has been here 50 years so please spare me this BS. BN may me not good at his job but newsflahs u hired him. umm and lets see all the bahraini's before him that stole money and so on they were so much better? this is a systematic problem of cowards cove syndrom....when **** is hitting the fan all responsible run to the cove so nothing can fall on U!!!!!!

EK2EYengineer
30th Jan 2009, 15:04
There is a big rumor at the airport he is already out

T O G A Boy
30th Jan 2009, 17:18
I think GF needs to get their act together and get a well qualified person with airline experience to be a CEO, whether an expat or Bahraini.. It also clearly states in the paper today that they are looking for someone qualified to run the show be it Bahraini or expat.
As for Naf recruting a 35 year old Strategic consultant, well thats just a laugh...

brassplate
30th Jan 2009, 17:30
they had a bahraini national who was qualified but got rid of him.

now, he's at arabia making them lots of money.

T O G A Boy
30th Jan 2009, 17:45
Very true indeed

brassplate
30th Jan 2009, 20:09
meanwhile, the sunni/shi'ite camps are sharperning their swords for an all out assault on top company positions in every level of bahrain society.
the very fact that there is an underlying current of deepseated and divisive issues and distrust in bahrain is proof enough that a bahraini will remain unfit, untrusted, corrupted, uneducated, unreliable, and unworthy to hold the ceo seat.
gf has lost many nationals from every office and department of gf because of the above reasons. many neighbouring countries are enjoying the best personell that bahrain has to offer because bahrain continues to discrimminate between her citizens.
the parliamentarians who are pushing this issue had better look at gf's less than enviable history and study carefully the ceos and senior managers at the helm during the worst of the airlines past. they should also carefully look at a senior position which i accuse of being directly involved in the gf072 accident.
finally, all bahrainis aspiring to run gf. take a good look at the huge demonstrations and riots at jidd haffs today and KNOW THAT YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF RUNNING YOUR OWN AFFAIRS!!

Mike.Park
30th Jan 2009, 23:29
there is an underlying current of deepseated and divisive issues and distrust in bahrain

Very true - issues that remain tight lipped at best and erupt into civil unrest at it's worst.

I do try to live a quiet and humble existence in Duraz - but it's been anything but quiet over the last few days! :O

bus787
31st Jan 2009, 01:37
The only reason they want Naf out is to Put their friends there,

A parliament run by i...... cannot run an airline.

They want NAf out they want Alcohol out!!!!

Oh yes that perfect for EY EK and QR.Who will pay BD2000 to drink first class water.

Get real guys where is the freedom as Prominent business people mentioned.

So Long GF.

TRAVEL IN STYLE TRAVEL GF.
BUSINESS FREINDLY BAHRAIN.We give business to others due to the Idiotic decisions.
Sir do you want VOSS water Al Ain water or Ro Water??

skywaytoheaven
31st Jan 2009, 04:57
....more likely to be Nestle or Arwa...

wapses
31st Jan 2009, 08:28
Let's face it the man was never up to the job. What's his background? An airline flying cargo operations for charities in Africa?? Then he steps into a CEO role for a major international carrier!

Those who appointed him are equally to blame.

Post Hogan there's been Dose (hardly a big success and how long did he last ... problem apparently was interference from the Board!); Naf (clearly not qualified, and a mere puppet for the Board); who will be next? I do not think any CEO capable of doing the job would consider accepting it under the current conditions.

The Board/Government has to understand that they must try and find the right guy and then give him the necessary authority and support to get on with the job. If they don't trust who they've hired then they've hired the wrong guy.

The ongoing uncertainty is very bad for morale across the airline and I know of good people throughout the operation who are looking to get out. And replacing those at Head Office with Bahrainis would be the absolutely worst thing to do ... unless they were qualified Bahraini National ... and where exactly are those people??

parabellum
31st Jan 2009, 10:44
The last person GF had that was, 'Up to the job' was Alan Bodger and cohorts.

GF is a cash cow and generates a whole lot of $$$$ which many board members consider their legitimate perks, stuff paying any bills, just 'gimee the money'. Quite possible that the current CEO has shut off the tap trying to improve the airline and is now in the firing line.

Interconti
31st Jan 2009, 11:22
For those who understand Swiss German; Bjorn Naf giving an interview @ WEF in Davos on Feb 29th, 2009

cash | Video (http://www.cash.ch/video/)

Mike.Park
31st Jan 2009, 13:16
Anyone willing to translate what he was saying?

fractional
31st Jan 2009, 15:33
NO CEO (competent or not) will survive ever with so much political interference. This is now and forever. It starts at the top between (at least) the 2 clans of the Al Khalifa family...:mad: Naf said!

FlyingCroc
31st Jan 2009, 17:54
with my basic German. He says that the World economy is bad and it had finally hit the Middle east and also the stock market in Bahrain. PAX load factor down. GF is 10% below budget and was 15% below budget last year and expects even more loss this year. Also this year will be difficult and restructuring has begun at GF 18 month ago. New fleet is being build and no new routes extended except to China. Oil price is down which is good for hedging and he expects no rise in 2009. PAX ticket prices down to low cost airlines, 18$ per seat, and more cost reduction ahead.

bus787
6th Feb 2009, 04:44
Nice to see Which Bahraini is going to take GF out of its 15 Year Crisis .
This was not done when the world had an economic boom .Looking forward to see the Bahrainis getting GF on its feet when all the world is now crippling.

No Use to blame the expats for this lets look back at the History when it was run by AUH QTR MCT BAH.They managed to ruin it and now they expect Miracles.

But the MPs are really helping .

Friends in GF u r welcome to pop in and Visit .